Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Sooo, Notre Dame returns 19 starters
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 2,155

Sooo, Notre Dame returns 19 starters

Jan 29, 2015, 10:28 PM

from an 8-4 squad. I honestly think this could be our sternest test in the regular season.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It Will Be

Jan 29, 2015, 10:31 PM

IMO

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Re: It Will Be

Jan 30, 2015, 12:28 AM

Never, never over look FSU, them and us are the only two reloading teams in the ACC. And we don't play them until the 10th week of the season, and they will have any bugs they have at the start worked out by then. We also know that their QB that we faced this year should be better next. And he didn't do all that bad of a Job when we played them. He will be a solid QB taking over for Jameis Criminal!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm glad it's in The Valley.

Jan 29, 2015, 10:31 PM

They seem to be building a good team but their past schedules are suspect.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Sooo, Notre Dame returns 19 starters

Jan 29, 2015, 10:46 PM

There is some good and bad with that. ND had two defensive starters (Russell and Williams) suspended the entire season last year. Both will be back in 2015. ND also had a ton of injuries, particularly on D. So a lot of freshmen received a lot of playing time. Some guys were clearly in over their heads playing as freshman last year. Linebacker Joe Schmidt, defensive captain and playcaller, broke his leg in the Navy game and never returned. He was replaced by Nyles Morgan, a true freshman with all of the talent in the world. As you might expect from a true freshman, he was out of position a lot. If the defense stays healthy, ND will be pretty tough.
On offense, ND returns almost everyone. Big question is whether Everett Golson or Malik Zaire will be QB. Golson, as you probably saw, has a lot of talent, but turned the ball over a lot. Zaire played very well in the bowl game against LSU, but that was only one game. If ND doesn't turn the ball over, ND is capable of scoring a lot of points.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 29, 2015, 10:52 PM

we will be breaking in a young defense with 3 starters returning, hopefully we can get it together before October.

my worry would be stopping you guys with a young defense

Jan 29, 2015, 11:26 PM [ in reply to Re: Sooo, Notre Dame returns 19 starters ]

We've got lots of talent on defense, but a lot of it doesn't have a lot of experience. We'll probably be better later in the year on defense, so ND will be tough early on.

Could be a very high scoring game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: my worry would be stopping you guys with a young defense

Jan 30, 2015, 12:51 AM

I truly don't think it will be a high scoring game. We lost a lot of seniors on D yes, but we kept our D rotating in and out all season. Our secondary will be VERY good, and I think but not positive that Scott Pagano will be one of the youngest on our DL, and I believe he will be a monster. My feelings are we will be very ok on defense!!! And lets not forget who coaches our defense. The same coach that in his 3d year at Clemson that coached the #1 total package D that we have had in 20 years

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 30, 2015, 12:32 AM [ in reply to Re: Sooo, Notre Dame returns 19 starters ]

We had as bad of a injury bug as they did, and we also had a lot of young players getting quality game time snaps. As I have said previously, FSU will still be our biggest threat next year in their 10th week!!!

BK is a good coach

Jan 29, 2015, 11:01 PM

And he said before last year, that he thought 2015 they were going to be good. We now as well as anyone that bowl wins are great for momentum heading into the next season and with what they return, they will undoubtedly be good next year. From a talent standpoint though, FSU is our toughest and most important game, but ND will be a great game and I look forward to it!

Re: BK is a good coach

Jan 29, 2015, 11:05 PM

FSU loses so much., and I seem to recall this Notre Dame team going down to Tallahassee and making it a game this past year.

No doubt..

Jan 29, 2015, 11:15 PM

But FSU's recruiting has been stellar the last few years and the cupboard is far from bare. Biggest question is QB. Plus we get them so late in the season that they will have had time to work through their growing pains. ND is going to be good and a tough out, but FSU will prove a very worthy challenge with bigger implications.

Re: No doubt..

Jan 30, 2015, 1:07 AM

That is the way I see it also!!!

Re: BK is a good coach

Jan 29, 2015, 11:53 PM [ in reply to Re: BK is a good coach ]

Yep and they were robbed down there last yr!

Here's a guid to why we'll beat Notre Dame....

Jan 30, 2015, 12:08 AM

This is a team which didn't exactly show anything great defensively. They gave up an average of 171 yds a game rushing which is awful(actually 69th worse). Now we didn't exactly light the world up last year rushing but we had our fair share of injuries. With a healthy cast and mobile Watson it's hard to believe we wouldn't do worse than last season. Plus, it would appear that our new OC's like to run more. The Irish also gave up 233 yds a game passing (good for 73rd). It is not hard to believe a healthy Watson will improve our air attack. Overall, they're defense finished 71st. So there is work to be done for them. Personally I'd give our offense a huge advantage.

Offensively, they finished 32nd; with an average of 159 on the ground (68th) and 285 through the air (19th). Overall their offense finished 32nd. Now we're revamping our D but I do not expect the "significant" drop off that those so called pundits call for. It's not as if we've got zero talent. After all, on our defensive front we do bring back quite a few including D.J. Reader (who could be a break through player!), big Carlos Watkins (6-4 294), Martin Aiken, and Shaq Lawson. Plus Kevin Dodd (6-5 275) who fits the mold. Plus Scott Pagano, Yeargin, and others are developing. Not a bad starting cast. Looking for a sleeper? Why not Ogundeko (6-3 246 and growing). And you're bringing back experienced guys in at LB like Dorian O'Daniel, Kellen Jones, Korrin Wiggins, Korrie Rogers, B.J. Goodson, and Ben Boulware. No reason to fret. Ya never know when a guy like Chris Register (6-4 220) or Chad Smith might break through. We'll stop their ground game. No problem.

So Notre Dame finished 19th in passing..Ok. That's fine but even finer is our DB class. Sure we've lost a few good ones but we ALSO return some good ones. Stud CB Mackensie Alexander returns and is sure to prove a point this season. Plus Cordrea Tankersley is backing him. Both big Jayron Kearse (6-4 210 stud) and Jadar Johnson are back. Plus developing safety T.J. Green (6-3 205) is back in the mix; that is IF Travis Blanks isn't healthy. Plus Mark Fields and others could be a wildcard in our air defense.

Just my opinion but I think we got this!

Re: Here's a guid to why we'll beat Notre Dame....

Jan 30, 2015, 7:41 AM

> This is a team which didn't exactly show anything
> great defensively. They gave up an average of 171 yds
> a game rushing which is awful(actually 69th worse).
>

ND'sdefense actually played pretty well the first half of the season. After the injuries mounted up, ND's defense had a lot of problems. We gave up a lot of yards, particularly on the ground. I look for a return to a pretty stout defense come next fall.

Replies: 15
| visibility 2,155
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic