Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Looking at the NCAA RPI rankings for this week (link)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1,134

Looking at the NCAA RPI rankings for this week (link)

Dec 17, 2014, 8:05 PM

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basketball-men/d1/ncaa-mens-basketball-rpi

a coupla things:

The Tigers are #165, the chickens are 91.......

Arkansas is 17??

Gardner-Webb is 31

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And Auburn is in front of us...***

Dec 17, 2014, 8:09 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Re: Looking at the NCAA RPI rankings for this week (link)

Dec 17, 2014, 8:31 PM

lol this is why i've never understood the rpi... does anyone know how it is even calculated?

Gardner Webb has lost to LSU, blown out by Arizona, lost to seton hall and old dominion. Their only good win I guess would be against us, but we're way down in the rpi so I guess that wouldn't be a good win, and yet they are 31? I mean hell if we beat the #17 team in the RPI we should be #1 I guess!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Looking at the NCAA RPI rankings for this week (link)

Dec 17, 2014, 8:36 PM

actually I just googled how the RPI is calculated, its 25% the teams winning percentage, 50% opponents winning percentage, and 25% the opponents opponents winning percentage. So basically if you win half of your games, no matter who against, but all the teams that you play have good winning percentages and play good schedules you will end up with a good rpi?

Things like this shouldn't affect NCAA tournament selection. When the season is over you should look at a teams record and who they have beaten and lost to as they already do, and then pick based on who LOOKS to be the best team, not what some bull #### RPI ranking tells you. But then again I don't know much about it so what do I know

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seems about right

Dec 17, 2014, 11:18 PM

The RPI is weighted toward home vs away wins/losses. Even though our record is 6-3, with the RPI we're calculated to be 4.4-3.8. A win over USuCk Friday night should boost us inside the top 100.

Arkansas is 7-2, but both losses are on the road. Their RPI record is 5-1.2.
G-W has the 4th ranked SOS.

Clemson's not going to be too high given our opponents combined record of 41-40. Our SOS is ranked 167th. Granted we're improving each week, but where would you expect us to be right now given our body of work? As the season goes on, this will work it's way out.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Remember we...

Dec 18, 2014, 8:56 AM

Haven't even gotten to the meat of the schedule yet... The ACC... Our schedule will get a lot stronger than. Also teams we have played will get better too. You know Arkansas and LSU will be some of the better teams in the SEC. Shoot even Auburn is going to get better now that they have more to work with. Also Winthrop, G-W, and High Point will get better records once they get in the Big South. Also soon ti be playing Oakland and Robert Morris are supposed to be contending for their conferences. The SOS is a lot stronger than last year but probably won't show until late January or early February.

Re: Seems about right

Dec 18, 2014, 9:54 AM [ in reply to Seems about right ]

We need to rack up as many good wins as possible to make up for those early losses, obiously. Friday night is a huge opportunity.

Replies: 6
| visibility 1,134
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic