Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Redshirts and Walkons: A path to glory
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1,548

Redshirts and Walkons: A path to glory

Dec 17, 2014, 7:32 PM

Think walkons and redshirts are a clear sign of an athletes ability? Guess again. Earlier today coach Swinney spoke about some of our freshmen who will be redshirting. The list looks reminiscent of an allstar roster that most teams drool over. However player development during a redshirt season pays dividends. Just ask Spencer Shuey. In his first game ever he tallied 15 tackles and 2.5 tackles for a loss against VT.

Some of redshirts you may be familiar with include Kalon Davis, Vic Beasley, Garry Peters, and Stanton Seckinger. Andre Branch is another stud redshirt guy and it seems to have panned out for him. Other notable redshirt warriors you may recognize are Larry Fitzgerald (second in the Heisman), as well as the past two Heisman winners. In fact, in 1985 76 of the 94 players on Clemson's roster redshirted.

Walkons are a rare breed of resilient athletes who persevere and never give up. Dabo Swinney is one of them. Other walkons include 2007 3rd place Heisman candidate Colt Brennan who walked on twice (once at Colorado and again at Hawaii). Jordy Nelson walked on at K State and finished his senior year as an All American. Others include Clay Matthews, Antonio Brown, J.J. Watt, Logan Mankins, and Brandon Weeden.

In 2015 Clemson hopes to add Daniel's Amir Tripp (6 INTs, 4 punt return TDs) and linemen Logan Tish. I think I speak for all of us when I say good luck and best wishes. Glad to have these guys as part of the Clemson family!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

good post

Dec 17, 2014, 7:42 PM

point!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Appreciate it.

Dec 17, 2014, 7:47 PM

I'm a fan of folks in the underdog role.

Same...unheralded recruits fits here too

Dec 17, 2014, 8:03 PM

Guys like Shuey, Coty Sensabaugh, even Seckinger

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Of course we have some interesting walkons

Dec 17, 2014, 7:50 PM

Daniel Rodriguez - war hero
Seth Ryan - Rex Ryan's son

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Redshirts and Walkons: A path to glory

Dec 17, 2014, 8:31 PM

Trapp may be small (as in size not heart), but I remember a G-Tech kid by the name of Golightly. Think that was his name. Very glad he is gone. Great player an was a pain in the a$$.

Dec 17, 2014, 9:29 PM

You talking about Robert Godhigh?

Dec 17, 2014, 10:13 PM

Yes

Replies: 7
| visibility 1,548
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive