Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ESPN/SEC/Media Bias
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 2,683

ESPN/SEC/Media Bias

Oct 22, 2014, 5:58 PM

Your honest thoughts?

Is there currently some bias at work that is keeping Clemson down in the polls?    [Results]

Affirmative
Negative
badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Because at the end of the game, everyone knew that they weren’t that much better than us or better than us at all."

Its not just Clemson. Its everyone not in the eSECpn.***

Oct 22, 2014, 6:00 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"ND should be in the top 4 because they almost beat FSU! At Tallahasse!!!"

Oct 22, 2014, 6:04 PM

They have their favorites. We aren't one.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: "ND should be in the top 4 because they almost beat FSU! At Tallahasse!!!"

Oct 23, 2014, 4:28 AM

I think the love they just gave notre dame is actually in support of the SEC. I'm starting to sound like a tin hat conspiracy theorist but hear me out.

During Notre Dames recent 20 year run of mediocrity, the media including ESPN seemed to revel in it. (Slobbering Lou is an exception, of course). Why? Because we enjoy seeing the big dog knocked down a few pegs. And other than NBC which has zero influence in sports journalism, no one in the media had a financial interest in Notre Dame being good. Look how ESPN loves to trash Michigan. Big ten network is aligned with their only possible rival, FOX.

So, why the sudden love for ND and pushing for them to move up after a loss? Two reasons:

1. They really did look pretty good and Kelly is a real coach.

2. They need FSU to look bad. Disparage the ACC. FSU is the best threat to keep the SEC from the championship. Therefore, ESPN needs to make their exciting win against #5 look less than stellar. Then they produce countless articles and segments about how FSU has no margin for error now. A one loss defending champion who has beaten the #5 team is out while miss state or ole miss could lose a game and still make it. And a one loss ND team would get in above a one loss FSU team according to ESPN, even though FSU won head to head. Why? Bc ND would be easier for the SEC representative(s) to beat in the playoffs.

So, no real love for ND from eSECpn, it just serves there greater interests.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, we should be ahead of USC...***

Oct 22, 2014, 6:04 PM

absolutely there is... look at all the one loss teams that

Oct 22, 2014, 6:16 PM

should not be ranked ahead of us... not the mention the ones that will win this weekend and jump over us, plus the teams that will lose and not fall below us...

"I've been working since I was 15 continually until now. I worked 40 hours a week at 15, when it wasn't even legal for 15 year olds to work that many hours."

Re: absolutely there is... look at all the one loss teams that

Oct 22, 2014, 9:46 PM

It's a JOKE.....plain and simple....or as the OLD hbc says "simple as that".

Re: absolutely there is... look at all the one loss teams that

Oct 22, 2014, 9:51 PM

It is a culture that fosters itself. Add in the fact that the only major player in televising college football and the SEC are in bed together and it makes even "acting" like it's not collusion a ridiculous thing to do.
I find it funny that they asked ESPN anchors to answer questions about the biased reporting , and did so without even the slightest smirk.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

IMHO We Are Where We Should Be

Oct 22, 2014, 10:23 PM

Hear me out. We did not start our most important player (D. Watson) against UGA and FSU. We are ranked where we should be without Watson in lineup. When Watson returns (hopefully healthy in ATL) and we kick GaT's tail, we will be ready to make a move. Fortunately, we have SYR and WF while Watson is out. Two of the worst teams in Div. 1 football.

We don't need a Top 10 rating right now and the nation weighing in on WF and SYR games - much better they weigh in on Watson lead wins against GaT and SC. Then it will be time to rise in the polls. The end of year ratings are what count. And let's whip some SYR a$$ this weekend. Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Negative. The only 2 loss teams ahead of us in the polls

Oct 22, 2014, 10:26 PM

aren't in the SEC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ESPN/SEC/Media Bias

Oct 22, 2014, 11:25 PM

Although irrelevant and meaningless, SEC teams give the impression that they are better because of their fan support, venues and game day atmosphere.

Turn on any SEC game with the exception of Vandy, and every stadium is first class and ALWAYS packed with loyal fans---even when their teams stink.

Turn on a ACC game and other than Clemson and FSU you'll find either a sparsley filled stadium that's shared with a pro team or semi-filled one that's not much bigger than a large high school's.

Does this mean the teams playing in these stadiums are better or worse? No, not at all, but it does have an effect on one's perception.

Can tell by "first class" that you have not visited a few

Oct 23, 2014, 12:14 AM

stadiums.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Can tell by "first class" that you have not visited a few

Oct 23, 2014, 1:36 AM

Nope, have not been to all SEC stadiums, but more than most folks have.

But, that's irrellevant. Why? Because 99.5% of CFB fans have only been to a hand full of major CFB venues and their perceptions are what they see on TV.

Hate to say it, but the perception I get watching any ACC game not featuring FSU or Clemson and perhaps VT is about comparable to watching Vandy vs Kentucky.

Oct 23, 2014, 6:40 AM

It scares me that 24% of you don't see the bias at ESPN. REALLY?!?!

Oct 23, 2014, 7:47 AM

Don't be scared.

We have two losses. There are a lot of good one loss stories out there like TCU and ECU. So as far as the Clemson ranking as was asked in the question - I think we are fairly ranked.

Does ESPN have a lovefest with all thing SEC? Yes. But that is not keeping us down as a two loss team - despite the losses coming to quality opponents.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 14
| visibility 2,683
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic