Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Defense Next Year
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1

Defense Next Year

Oct 20, 2014, 1:17 PM

I've read posts from people saying our defense will take a big step back next year. Honestly I don't see it.

Losing Vic, Jarrett, Peters and Anthony will be huge losses but we've got back ups that contribute now.

This is how I see the defense next year:

DE: Lawson and Byers with Yeargin making contributions.

DT: Watkins and Reader with Pagano

LB: Kellen Jones, Boulware, O'Daniel with Register

S: Kearse and Blanks with Wiggins and TJ Green

CB: Mackenzie and Jadar Johnson. With Tankersley

IMO, CB is gonna be a little thin but Mackenzie could be an All-American.

If the offense continues to grow and evolves into the offense we know we have, I believe we have a top 5 offense and a top 15 defense.

I could easily see us taking that last step into the absolute elite for years to come.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They just have to get better...

Oct 20, 2014, 1:26 PM

Kellen Jones got swallowed up and gave up a 10+ yard run when he came in for Anthony Saturday. Plus they picked on Green all night after Smith went out and had a lot of success.

D will take a severe hit next year....I love CBV and think

Oct 20, 2014, 1:33 PM

he will field top Ds in the near future, long-term. But, you just can lose this much NFL talent off one squad and keep ticking!(SEE SUC) In fact, I predict next year D will look a lot like 2011/2012 squads.

I respectfully would disagree

Oct 20, 2014, 1:50 PM

Think back to the 2011/2012 Pass Defenses. Not good.

Also LB play will be better in 2015 than it was in 2011/2012 - especially BB - who I think will be the better than SA by next year.

A lot will depend on the DEs - if they can set edge and generate rush and the DTS - to get penetration and occupy space.

Talent is ok, but experience is better. We won't fall off

Oct 20, 2014, 1:28 PM

the face of the earth like USuC, but the D won't be as deep or experienced. Similar to the offense going through growing pains this year.

#4 begs to differ. ***

Oct 20, 2014, 2:13 PM

nm

With the 2nd ranked recruiting class coming and...

Oct 20, 2014, 1:34 PM

many coming in Jan. we could have several of them contributing next fall. There's more to our defense than most can see right now.

Ben Boulware is going to be the most steady LB we've had in a decade. He's fast, smart enough to lead and has a killer instinct. He was a the key player in stopping BC in their last drive.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You left out Ebo !***

Oct 20, 2014, 1:35 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Byers moved to OL..

Oct 20, 2014, 1:36 PM

Lawson will be a stud on one end, but we need Ebo, Yeargin, Rogers or Aiken to step up and anchor the other side. We will be fine in the middle with Watkins, Reader and Pagano. Our secondary will be our strength and will truly be a "no fly zone" w Mac on side and Johnson/Tankersly on the other. Kearse/Wiggins/Blanks/Green hold down the safety spots just fine. Hopefully Baker, Edmond, and Carter are ready to fill in and back up Mac and the others though.

We need Huggins to commit to give us depth for the future considering a lot of misses we have had at the DT and DE positions over the last few cycles. Austin Bryant and Sterling Johnson are going to be good, but Huggins is a force.

Re: Defense Next Year

Oct 20, 2014, 1:36 PM

Depth will be the bigger concern. I think the starting unit will be a top 25 type of unit...but I don't know if we have the horses to sustain that late into games. We really needed a big-time DE to come in.

Oct 20, 2014, 1:40 PM

I think the secondary will be the strong point, we are deep and young there. Also the only place we will be thin at is D-line and with all the recruits coming in on the D-line that are having season-ending surgery dont expect much from them.

^^^ YES!

Oct 20, 2014, 1:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Defense Next Year ]

I think Huggins and Bryant will both play next year if they are healthy and we get them.. I agree depth is the concern and not the starters. Starters will be fine, but we do need to pick up some good ones along the DL next year.. a couple of DE's and a couple of DL's.

Re: ^^^ YES!

Oct 20, 2014, 1:45 PM

Hope we can get Huggins and Settle for this year would help at the D-takle spot for sure.

Some have said we quit recruiting Settle but I dont know..

Oct 20, 2014, 1:53 PM

He would be a great pickup and that puts more emphasis on Huggins though. We NEED him!

Re: Some have said we quit recruiting Settle but I dont know..

Oct 20, 2014, 1:59 PM

hope we didnt but Yall keep an eye on #2 WR ESPN Tyron Johnson he has said we lead on him and i would like to think we would over sign for him.

He's toying with us...

Oct 20, 2014, 2:05 PM

He named us a leader a while back w out even visiting.. He is LSU bound. We are fine at WR and I'd rather save the scholly or give it to someone on the OL or DL. I hope we are still after Zack Bailey with the Coots imploding. We dont have a true OG in this class, and Bailey is that. Or if we can somehow good in the good graces with a stud DE like Cowart, Sweat, or Jefferson. We have plenty of skill/play makers, we need more stud big bodies with all we lose after this year.

Re: He's toying with us...

Oct 20, 2014, 2:12 PM

Agree with most of that but I think Tyron is Texas Tech bound.... and you dont leave a stud playmaker out cause they dont grow on trees, on the Line you can never have to many guy in the trenches and with how thin we are at O-line. I just want as many good players as possible haha

For Clemson, they seem to grow on trees...

Oct 20, 2014, 2:42 PM

Playmakers next year will be : Williams, Peake, Hopper, Scott, Kitt, Thompson, Cain, McCloud, Legget, McCoullough, Dye, Choice, Gallman, Fuller, and Davidson.. Thats plenty of skill and playmakers. I'll take some more big uglies...

Re: He's toying with us...

Oct 20, 2014, 3:52 PM [ in reply to He's toying with us... ]

Bailey is a lost cause... he is dead set on a major we simply do not have..c$$ts have had him locked up for months.. he gave us a small "sniff" but that is all..... he wants to be a dirty c$$t so let him go

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Some have said we quit recruiting Settle but I dont know..

Oct 20, 2014, 2:08 PM [ in reply to Some have said we quit recruiting Settle but I dont know.. ]

both very true!

Will fall from dominating to just good

Oct 20, 2014, 1:45 PM

We'll be able to get stops, but I think the drop in depth and talent on the DL will show. Jarrett and Beasley are special players.

We'll still be a good defense though.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Will fall from dominating to just good

Oct 20, 2014, 1:47 PM

Lets not for get Crawford. You see how bad are d-line looked with out him verses the run v.s. Bulldogs

UGA ran in the fourth from Crawford's side

Oct 20, 2014, 1:55 PM

, if I am not mistaken.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson Is Coming" says Stephone Anthony (Class 2011)"
"Why NOT Clemson"
"Why Not Dabo"

Re: UGA ran in the fourth from Crawford's side

Oct 20, 2014, 2:01 PM

i just feel as if Crawford is one are best run stoppers and he was out for that game.

Oct 20, 2014, 1:50 PM

I think in two years we will be unstoppable if the coaching staff stays in tact.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 20, 2014, 1:55 PM

Yeah Watsons Jr. year and all them O-lineman coming in this years class. Gets me excited about the future. Along with the future studs we recruite.

Those O-linemen coming in need to gain weight/strength in

a hurry. In any event, a starting freshman O-lineman is very, very rare and would almost have to enroll early......JMHO.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think 2 freshman O-line start next year...

Oct 20, 2014, 2:07 PM

And i think we had 3 guys for the o-line recruiting class say they would be coming in january.

Early start will be big help. Could at least get significant

snaps and be a part of the first 10 OL. They do need to get stronger as they will
be going up against more competition than they see now.

Re: Those O-linemen coming in need to gain weight/strength in

Oct 20, 2014, 2:09 PM [ in reply to Those O-linemen coming in need to gain weight/strength in ]

almost all O/L need a R/S year!!

Yep.....no doubt.***

Oct 20, 2014, 2:14 PM

Re: Yep.....no doubt.***

Oct 20, 2014, 2:16 PM

We just dont have the Depth there to R/S all of them. with guys leaving and having to quit b/c of injury (Destefano)

It's not just talent we're losing but experience

Oct 20, 2014, 2:01 PM

this is the same D from last yr and we're 1000 times better mainly b/c they know the scheme backwards and forwards now.

We'll take a big step back imo. From top 10 D to maybe top 30.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's not just talent we're losing but experience

I agree but we are not losing experence everywhere. Are secondary will be top notch.

You really struggle with this are/our thing***

Oct 20, 2014, 2:49 PM

D better as secondary is improved as Front 7 were a given.

Oct 20, 2014, 2:08 PM [ in reply to It's not just talent we're losing but experience ]

When we get beat now it is still the secondary for the most part.

Re: D better as secondary is improved as Front 7 were a given.

But they are still young and we dont get beat to often on D.

Oct 20, 2014, 2:25 PM

Lawson is a stud at end I think he will pick up where Vic leaves off. Just look at what he's done in limited playing time. Boulware is one of my favorite players. The secondary is going to be just fine. Reid is a good secondary coach and he has tons of talent to work with. My concern is at dt and who's anchoring the other end. I'm also concerned about lb but I think the talent is there but they need experience and more coaching.

I think Lawson is more similar to Crawford

Oct 20, 2014, 2:30 PM

He will set the edge and be an above pass rusher (very similar to Crawford) but I don't think he will get into Vic's zipcode as a pass rusher.

IMO - the only player on the team who could simulate Vic's skillset at DE would (maybe) be a bulked up Kearse.

Yeargin could surprise some people...

Oct 20, 2014, 2:37 PM

He has a similar build to Vic, maybe a little taller, but should have close to the same speed off the edge. Lawson will have to play the strong side to fill in for Barnes and Crawford. Between Ebo and Yeargin, I think will be good on the weakside. Big shoes to fill but should be fine, but not as explosive as Vic.

Re: Yeargin could surprise some people...

Oct 20, 2014, 2:40 PM

Where's BJ Goodson? He will start at one of the LB spots.

Goodson

Oct 20, 2014, 2:44 PM

will definitely be a contributor next year... I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes the starter at Mike... I know he plays Sam now, but I think he is better than Jones, and we can find someone else to replace him at Sam when we aren't in nickel. Goodson lays the wood. Boulware at Will, and maybe Jones at Sam or O'Daniel. Goodson needs to be on the field though more than Jones IMO. Register and Rogers will be good too.

Starters

Oct 20, 2014, 2:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Yeargin could surprise some people... ]

DE: Dodd
DT: Watkins
DT: Reeder
DE: Lawson
LB: Goodson
LB: Jones
LB: Boulware
CB: Alexander
CB: Tankersley
NI: Blanks/Wiggins
S: Green
S: Kearse

Re: Starters

Oct 20, 2014, 2:52 PM

You think Dodd gets the nod for SDE and Lawson goes WDE? I think Lawson may be SDE followed by Dodd and Ebo/Yeargin/Aiken go WDE.. Dodd to me hasn't been overly impressive.. I think Huggins could possibly be an instant contributor if we get him though and could start at SDE and allow Lawson to stay at WDE.. To me that would be the ideal situation. Huggins is a huge and fast and is going to be an early enrollee if we get him.

Replies: 43
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic