Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dabo's opinion on the kickoff
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 51
| visibility 1

Dabo's opinion on the kickoff

Sep 18, 2014, 9:46 AM

I actually asked him last night if he would change the way he looks at the kickoff and would defer on the kickoff to keep Jameis off the field...and he just looked at me and shook his head. "Nope, we're going to play Florida St. That's who we're going to go play. Not Jameis Winston. If we try to beat one player we are in for a long night. We have to win as a team and we have to defeat their team."

So, in effect he didn't answer my question.

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dabo's opinion on the kickoff

Sep 18, 2014, 9:48 AM

A lot of talk about this coin toss. Seems like we must certainly not win it now. I could see an early score pressuring FSU to not play as conservatively in the first half allowing for even more first half possessions possibly.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 18, 2014, 9:51 AM

Of course. Who needs to worry about silly things like potential extra possessions and strategically limiting the Heisman Winner's snaps.

WE'RE PLAYING FLORIDA STATE, NOT JAMEIS WINSTON

Sep 18, 2014, 9:52 AM

What don't you understand?

Gah

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Re: WE'RE PLAYING FLORIDA STATE, NOT JAMEIS WINSTON

Sep 18, 2014, 9:53 AM

I know. I for one hope we give Jameis a bunch of extra snaps just to prove a point. I don't care if they get the ball to start the half and he leads a 14 play drive...it's the principle of the thing.

Sep 18, 2014, 9:57 AM

Well say you have a 14 point lead at halftime. You get the second half kickoff and start running a grind the clock offense that wears 7 minutes down but ends in a missed field goal. Jameis comes on a lands a quick strike TD. Do you fire your offense back up into up tempo mode expecting a shoutout or leave it in the slow crawl mode. I think you could overthink things and cause your players to overthink things and lose focus. Which we will need to beat FSU even without Winston. That said I would defer.

Sep 18, 2014, 9:59 AM

Yeah, I would keep Jameis off the field as long as possible and the only way to do that is to defer.

I'm being facetious with my previous comment.

If we're not in up tempo mode as often as possible we

Sep 18, 2014, 6:55 PM [ in reply to Re: WE'RE PLAYING FLORIDA STATE, NOT JAMEIS WINSTON ]

are preparing to lose - period.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 18, 2014, 3:24 PM [ in reply to WE'RE PLAYING FLORIDA STATE, NOT JAMEIS WINSTON ]

Got to defer

Sep 18, 2014, 4:24 PM

What the heck did yell expect him to say? Any coach would have said the same thing..You have to respect everyone..They have talent at every position across the board,even the backup quarterback? Jobs everyone is a expert

Sep 18, 2014, 5:18 PM

Dabo is being annoying. In that case, don't double team their best pass rusher, kick it to their best return man, and don't pay any extra attention to O'Leary or Greene... After all, you can't key in on certain guys, because you have to beat the TEAM, not any individuals.

Just stupid.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 18, 2014, 5:19 PM

Great point!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 18, 2014, 10:11 PM

I'm always in favor of defering,but in this case definitely. Now I don't believe we will, but one less possession for Crusty Jameis sounds like a good strategy.

Sep 18, 2014, 9:25 PM [ in reply to Re: WE'RE PLAYING FLORIDA STATE, NOT JAMEIS WINSTON ]

+1

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What if Swag Kelly rigs the coin toss?

Sep 18, 2014, 9:58 AM [ in reply to Re: Dabo's opinion on the kickoff ]

It's a conspiracy....

Not Dabo because USC is in California and Carolina is in

Sep 18, 2014, 11:02 AM [ in reply to Re: Dabo's opinion on the kickoff ]

Chapel Hill. Also, we'd beat FSU's 2013 team 5 outa 10 and Kyle Parker is an NFL quarterback. No need to worry (or comment on) about silly things.

There's something in these hills.

Re: Not Dabo because USC is in California and Carolina is in

Sep 18, 2014, 11:21 AM

^^^dis guy get it

Sep 18, 2014, 10:00 PM [ in reply to Re: Dabo's opinion on the kickoff ]

Yeah, why be so concerned with such trivial matters?
The conventional wisdom in football has always been defer to second half. In this instance, I would hope that is a no brainer.

Sep 18, 2014, 10:13 PM

Good football coaches defer....I will leave it at that.

Sep 18, 2014, 10:19 PM

People knick pick big games sometimes too much the bottom line is Clemson must play an entire game four quarters all out no hold backs nothing to lose! Leave it all on the field and we will b victorious! Winston or not defer or not ??

Maybe "Nope" was his answer?

Sep 18, 2014, 9:52 AM

previous precedent shows that he likes to receive the opening kick.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

somebody be hatin'***

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

Sep 18, 2014, 9:53 AM

"Nope, we're going to play Florida St. That's who we're going to go play. Not Jameis Winston. If we try to beat one player we are in for a long night. We have to win as a team and we have to defeat their team."

That's all well and good but we are also trying to beat the crowd, momentum and a fired up FSU team. And that won't be an easy task when Winston comes out the second half.

Come on Dabo, this is common sense.

Is it really common sense? What if we elect to

Sep 18, 2014, 9:56 AM

receive first, march down the field and score a TD, then their backup comes in feeling the heat already down 7 and makes mistakes?

I'm not advocating for either receiving first or deferring, but there are too many possibilities to say it's common sense IMO.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

What do you really know about

common sense?

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

Supposedly

Sep 18, 2014, 9:59 AM

It's common!?!?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

I think our D is pretty fired up about defending Jameis.

Sep 18, 2014, 7:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Dabo's opinion on the kickoff ]

I don't see where him opening the 2nd half with the ball is such a bad thing - we're gonna be chomping at the bit to get after him. Let 'em at it from the get go.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 19, 2014, 3:13 AM [ in reply to Re: Dabo's opinion on the kickoff ]

"Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."

Albert Einstien

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe one of the captains will have the guts to go

with obvious choice????

Of course Dabo would say that - expected him to.

Sep 18, 2014, 10:23 AM

You can also bet your ### that he kicks off if he wins the toss. When asked after the game he will deny that Winston being suspended for the 1st half had anything to do with it though. He will probably say "No, that was our plan the entire time. Let our defense set the tone."

Defense

Sep 18, 2014, 10:28 AM

Taking the ball 1st makes no sense, for anyone.
Its almost like saying, ahh, we'll just waste our 1st
possession, who cares.

Not always true if your offense drives down the field and

Sep 18, 2014, 10:31 AM

scores which sets the tone for the rest of the game....

Our performance last season contradicts your opinion:

Sep 18, 2014, 10:56 AM [ in reply to Defense ]

We started with the ball almost every game last season, with these results on the opening drive:

Georgia: 3 and out.
SCST: Field Goal.
NCSU: Field Goal.
Wake: Touchdown.
Cuse: Touchdown
BC: Missed FG attempt from 25 yards out.
FSU: A plague of locusts.
Mary: Maryland started on offense.
UVA: Touchdown.
GT: Field Goal.
Citadel: Punt after 20 yard drive.
SC: Interception by Sammy Watkins but we were driving well.
Ohio State: Touchdown.

So out of 13 games:
1 time we didn't start on offense.
4 times we scored a touchdown.
3 times we scored a field goal.
1 time we were driving great and screwed it up with a fancy trick play (South Carolina).
1 time our automatic kicker missed a 25 yarder
1 time we got some field position (Citadel)
1 time it was worthless (Georgia)
1 time we fumbled on the first play (FSU)

It put points on the board 7 out of 12 times and should have been 9 out of 12 times between the missed FG and the interception against South Carolina.

null

Re: Our performance last season contradicts your opinion:

Sep 18, 2014, 11:04 AM

On the road, kicking a FG on the opening drive might as well be a punt.

I'm sure UGA would have disagreed last year, since they

Sep 18, 2014, 11:20 AM

punted on their opening drive and lost by 3.

null

Not if your defense is good. Alabama would probably

Sep 18, 2014, 12:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Our performance last season contradicts your opinion: ]

happily take a FG on their opening drive against any decent team.

SC: Interception by Sammy Watkins but we were driving well.

Sep 18, 2014, 5:52 PM [ in reply to Our performance last season contradicts your opinion: ]

Chad Morris'd

totally disagree

Sep 18, 2014, 6:12 PM [ in reply to Our performance last season contradicts your opinion: ]

I will go on defense 1st, providing I win the coin toss.

99 out of 100 times.

One hopes Dabo would have a specific strategy and

Sep 18, 2014, 10:36 AM

tactics that would be game/team specific. If he does, it can sometimes be very difficult to discern.

he's just being stubborn now***

Sep 18, 2014, 10:57 AM

but Florida State is Jameis Winston.

Sep 18, 2014, 10:59 AM

Their discipline philosophy proves that.

**You just got Obama'd

Sep 18, 2014, 11:01 AM

nm

BOOM***

Sep 18, 2014, 6:08 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You make it sound like you didn't expect him to say that.

Sep 18, 2014, 5:36 PM

I'd totally expect that exact answer from him & for him to not make the question about any specific player.

It'd be nice if he was being completely honest with you, however.

all wrong - We ain't playing FSU - they are playing CU...

Sep 18, 2014, 5:45 PM

just go whoop de but.

Would/should defer whether Jameis plays or not.***

Sep 18, 2014, 5:48 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Would/should defer whether Jameis plays or not.***

Sep 18, 2014, 6:05 PM

I'd buy that but we'd both be wrong. J/K, bro.

We are a HUNH team. That includes taking offense asap. That's part of the scheme, get the opponent's defense on the field and keep them there until we score in order to wear them down asap.

I understand the logic and reason to put our defense out there first and to try and limit JW's snap and series counts. If we play our game and not some alteration we will do that best by wearing their defense out, thereby enabling us to score on more drives in the second half, particularly the fourth quarter. Nothing we do in the first half will wear a team out that has this depth. Dabo isn't considering our defense he's focused on our offense. I buy that with DW playing more and more. (clue)

Dabo has a '### the torpedoes, all ahead full attitude,' and that is the only way, in his opinion, that will beat such a fine football team. I tried to out think Dabo on this and concluded he was wrong until I consider who he is and how well we have done since he became our HC.

### the torpedoes and full steam ahead! I just think some of us, not you of course, are not ALL INN!!! :)

Message was edited by: ClemsonTiger1988®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I guess we will just have to wait to see who wins the coin

Sep 18, 2014, 7:28 PM

toss, now won't we?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg2006_nit_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We're friends. You laugh, I laugh. You cry, I cry. You jump off a bridge, I get in my boat and save your retarded a$$.

Sonofa... He can't talk to you like that...Does he even know

Sep 19, 2014, 5:00 AM

who you are?

Wait, maybe I ought to translate that into English for you. I speak fluent southern gentleman, you know. I got my PHDumbazz from Tennessee, I did undergrad well some undergrad work in Bama and a masters in Pickens County under Danny Ford.

Nope: No, heaill no, only an idiot wouldn't know the answer to that question.

we're going to play: football game where one group has 11 male gender (humans) line up and...team with highest number beside their name on scoreboard wins... glory etc...spit backerguise, dump plug due to microphone and camera coming toward face...

Flordia St.: last year's championship team who pounded me like a mallard duck...puke not backerjuice...

That's who we're going to play: That stupid look on your face leads me to understand you didn't get it the first time I said it.

Not Jameis Winston: Jameis Winston is not a team, he's a man therefor, he can't be Florida State which is a team. (See transitive inequality of mathematics, properties of mathematics etc...mathematics) I'm sick of playing coaches who turn boys into whatever you'd call a boy who is never going to mature, I dunno, let's call it Peter Pan syndrome?

If we try to beat one player: changing game play to focus on one player is losing sight of the over all goal which...scoreboard highest number etc...1-2 season, hot seat, media, so on so forth.

we are in for a long night: a trope suggesting bad experience in this case lowest number on score board by name...2-1 on the season etc...

We: Clemson University, Clemson's Administration, Staff, Students, Alumni, Fanatics, casual or bandwagon fans etc...Specifically excludes sports writers in general especially ESPiN, ex. coaches who were fired and other ACC teams and ACC Commissioner Richardcranium Swafford.

have to win as a team: I feel the heat from those who only seem to notice, highlight, focus and remember the big games we lose...dumpers gonna dump (Apologies to franc) and I'm sick of being compared to Danny Ford because nobody can measure up to a fine coach who studied at the feet of the legendary Bear Bryant of whom I'm only a lowly and humble third generation disciple. Though I will bring back traditions and old ways as much as possible...bond with fans.

we have to defeat their team: I feel the burden of loving players as if they are of my flesh and blood and starting or continuing their maturation as one who cares about who they become then lose to coaches who do not care about their players (See SOS and Garcia, Fisher and Jameis etc...) thereby tempting Clemson fans to reconsider our purpose here and question our desires and coaching abilities...

THE END

I'm poking fun at you David, that was just for my entertainment. I really appreciate your passion for gleaning every bit of information you can and providing it for our edification and entertainment. It doesn't seem you spoon feed us as does "Tigernet Staff," that so and so.

I'm not the least bit confused. You asked ...will we defer, he said no. You asked the question with a qualifier, 'to keep JW off the field,' which indicates to me that you wanted an explanation and not just an answer.

That's an entirely different discussion which I will be happy to have but my preference is for that discussion to not be in or on a public forum. I will try and speculate on why I believe Dabo approaches this game in that manner. But who want to read my ramblings?

BOTTOM LINE (if you skipped to this you missed nothing)

You got your question answered but you didn't get the explanation. One question please, did he really avoid the question or did he just avoid explaining something to you?

Your Faithful Supporter,
CT88

Longggggg night or early morn...? +1.***

Sep 19, 2014, 7:05 AM

My ex was right after all.

Sep 19, 2014, 7:50 AM

I've lost my mind. My body wants to sleep only four or five hours at a time. When to bed at 11 and I woke up @ four. The clock said seven, I swear. When it didn't get daylight by what I figured to be about 8 I checked the clock and it said 4:20. I'm effin losing it.

Thanks.

He answered your question properly.

Sep 19, 2014, 7:35 AM

You asked the question with the wrong wording.

Here's your question:
I actually asked him last night if he would change the way he looks at the kickoff and would defer on the kickoff to keep Jameis off the field.

He gave the correct answer. He may defer to beat FSU. He didn't say he would not.

You should have asked is, if you win the toss do you plan to receive or defer?

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Replies: 51
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic