Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
We will all pay for the SEC network
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1,078

We will all pay for the SEC network

Aug 21, 2014, 6:32 PM

There is no getting around basic economics. The truth is that no matter how the cable and satellite companies try to hide it, all of our bills will go up by AT LEAST $15.80 a year if we live within the SEC footprint.

Just give them a couple months and you will start seeing the new fees get tacked on to your bill. Several months ago I noticed an extra $1.50 fee being added to my Comcast bill. They called it a "Broadcast TV Fee." When I looked into what it was, this was the explanation: "Effective 6/1/ 2014, Comcast will implement a Broadcast TV Fee of $1.50 per month (excluding applicable taxes and fees) on video customers bills to defray the rising costs of
retransmitting broadcast television signals." Slimy way to do business if you ask me, but for now it's the only way I can reliably watch the Tigers play.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We will all pay for the SEC network

Aug 21, 2014, 6:57 PM

Well if it means the Kentucky vs. Tennessee-Martin matchup is mine to watch I will gladly fork over the extra couple bones.
I will counter the hike in my cable bill by keeping my pizza toppings at two .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

If what you say is true....

Aug 21, 2014, 7:05 PM

I hope there are numerous class action lawsuits filed in the not-too distant future.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pretty soon Big Cable will dissolve because of

Aug 21, 2014, 7:05 PM

companies like Netflix and Amazon Prime. On Demand is the future and it won't take much longer for the voters to use Congress to keep us from having to purchase #### like Harpo and WE. The bills are out there they just haven't garnered enough support yet.

Aug 21, 2014, 7:32 PM

I disagree for a couple of reasons.
1. If the SEC Net is successful, then they will typically put that channel into one of the plans that cost extra, so the non-paying customers for that plan will no longer receive it.
2. They will need to seriously improve what they appear to offer so far if this channel will have success. They only have 1 maybe 2 games all season that are worth watching. NOBODY will pay for that.

Aug 21, 2014, 8:51 PM

If my bill goes up $15 more I will have to change cable companies. Bill is already too high and I'm not paying any extra money to watch 3-4 extra football games a year. The rest of the games are trash, and the programming besides the games is terrible. Who would watch the Paul finn show for 5 hours a day? It's like Jerry springer show of the SEC.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't! No cable/dish.***

Aug 21, 2014, 9:50 PM

Surely we can opt out of getting the SEC network

Aug 21, 2014, 11:35 PM

And quit calling me Surely.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 22, 2014, 12:08 AM

You don't even have to live in the SEC footprint. I live in Colorado, haven't changed packages with Directv at all, and I now have the SEC network.

If there were a way to cut the cord to cable and satellite and still have the opportunity to watch college football with some kind of pay as you go system, I would cut out cable and satellite tomorrow. 99% of what is shown on TV today is unwatchable.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Then I say, any of you with copious amounts of money start

Aug 22, 2014, 12:13 AM

a sports bar, pay a subscription fee and we'll all come over and watch the game unfold! We'll all save thousands, not support SEC, and develop comradery with fellow fans.

No coots allowed...

Aug 22, 2014, 12:14 AM

Not me. No cable or satellite TV. I get my internet through Charter but that's all I pay for.

I either watch the Tigers in the stadium or at my nearby Buffalo Wild Wings. My yelling during the Ohio St game might have been a little over the top, but I had a great time!

Replies: 10
| visibility 1,078
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic