Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FFRF and the constitution
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

FFRF and the constitution

Apr 23, 2014, 11:53 PM

Deer FFRF,

Read the following article and please proceed to mind your own business:

http://www.thepublicdiscourse.com/2010/10/1920/

Gives good insight into the constitution, freedom of speech, religion, and "separation of church and state"

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As a Christian, I want the government completely out of

Apr 24, 2014, 12:54 AM

religion and religious matters; all Christians should. I'm not sure all Christians understand that though. Many seem to think as long as the government is promoting or supporting Christianity, it's okay. That's a mistake. I hope you all can see why. Yes, our founders were predominately Christian, or at least products of Judeo-Christian values, so naturally our constitution and subsequent laws reflect that. Yet the founders stopped short of making Christianity a state religion, and very implicitly endorsed the freedom of religion, to practice or not to practice as we saw fit. Therefore, our government will never, ever support or advocate Christianity over other religions. It will not happen. Anybody who thinks it will or has any hope of such is living in a fantasy land. That is why, as Christians, we should want the government to stay out of religion.

Now, I admire Dabo for his strong faith, and the way it guides every aspect of his life. In no way should he deny his faith or hide it. Having said that, as a person in a position of authority at a state school, he has to walk a very fine line and be careful not to promote his religion in his role as coach. Here is what I am getting at: To allow him to do so gives a Muslim or Hindu or Atheist in a similar position a platform to promote their views and exert their influence in the same way. I don't want that. They may not require their players or students to share their Atheistic views, for instance, and they may treat all of them fairly and equally, yet still push their views. To be clear, I'm not saying that Dabo is doing that, but THAT is THE issue here.

Sure, players know what Dabo is about when they come here, I get that, but it doesn't matter. We shouldn't have to worry about teachers, professors, coaches, or administrators in our public schools and state universities unduly influencing us or our children with their religious views. Again, imagine if our coach was an atheist or a Muslim.

The bottom line for me is, if Dabo has crossed that line (again, big "IF"), he should back off a little. Not apologize for his strong faith in any way, just be careful not to cross that line going forward. On the other hand, if he has not crossed that line, then the FFRF and their ilk need to shut up and go away.

Just my two cents.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: As a Christian, I want the government completely out of

Apr 24, 2014, 7:47 AM

Very well stated. One big problem though is public schools teaching various theories of creation and evolution. This is done and presented as science. Problem is the theories presented are just wild speculation based on some science. Students are influenced and in many cases led to believe there is a scientific explanation to everything. Without directly saying it many teachers call all faiths myths and fairy tales. I have had to de-program my daughter all through her school years from these theories. I went through all this myself when I went to school. So I agree with you. All the theories need to be stopped being taught as they are to discount creationism too!

Scientific theories have a place in science class.***

Apr 24, 2014, 7:54 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

evolution is not speculation or theory ..

Apr 24, 2014, 8:05 AM [ in reply to Re: As a Christian, I want the government completely out of ]

If you want to alienate people keep telling them 2+2 is 7 because the bible says so.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

I used to believe in evolution.

Apr 24, 2014, 9:49 PM

But when I met Jesus Christ I realized it took more faith to believe in evolution than to believe in Him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Or...

Apr 25, 2014, 8:46 AM

You could just believe in both. Evolution was the process God used to create life on this planet. As Christians who believe that the Bible is wholly true, we are not required to deny science. There is symbolism and spiritual allegory throughout the Bible to help us understand a spiritual realm that we have no experience with. That does not mean the creation story is not true, but that it's purpose is to reveal spiritual truth, not scientific truth. When we talk about the hand of God molding man from the dust are we really meant to believe a giant hand came down and made a play-doh man, or is 'the hand of God" symbolic of His creative power, just as 'the throne of God' is symbolic of His authority? I believe that if Christians continue to quibble over evolution science, and make denying it a prerequisite for salvation, then we will alienate more and more people from the most important truth of all...that Jesus sacrificed himself to pay the price for our iniquities.

I'd give you 10 thumbs up if I could.***

Apr 25, 2014, 4:31 PM

- H. L. Mencken

Re: Or...

Apr 25, 2014, 4:58 PM [ in reply to Or... ]

Agree. I can hold both thoughts in my head at the same time. I respect science along with my religion and can see the role of both of these ideas.

Well said, Kiggity.

Apr 24, 2014, 6:56 PM [ in reply to Re: As a Christian, I want the government completely out of ]

It depends on what you mean by evolution is proven. Has the Earth and life changed/evolved? Yes. Is there proof all life evolved from a single cell? NO WAY. So teachers on tax payers dimes shouldn't be telling students what they believe or what others believe and present it as fact. But they do! I'm not talking about stopping research or sticking heads in the sand. But the Big Bang Theory is more absurd than anything.
I swear the scientists are more fairy tale believers than anyone sometimes and many of their theories are out there.

Apr 24, 2014, 8:07 PM

If it were proven, it wouldn't be called the theory. Good teachers present the evidence for it but note that it is a theory. There is evidence that at one point in time, nothing more complex than single celled organisms existed. There is also evidence that at a point in time of the earth's development, no life as we know it could have existed. Did it all start with one cell or a bunch that suddenly appeared by whatever cause you choose to believe in, who knows. It's all theory. But valid scientific theory.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You know you've raised a real tiger fan when you ask your son what he wants his cub scout pinewood derby car to be and he says a Tiger!

Huh, even the definition of science has changed to...

Apr 24, 2014, 9:53 PM

support evolution. When I was in high school in order for something to be science it had to be reproducible.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

to repeat - it is (or should be) presented as THEORY

Apr 24, 2014, 10:25 PM

Which means we have facts, evidence whatever, that leads us to believe this is what happened. If you have a suggestion on a way to reproduce something that apparently occurs over many thousands if not millions of years, you stand to make muchas dinero.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You know you've raised a real tiger fan when you ask your son what he wants his cub scout pinewood derby car to be and he says a Tiger!

evolution dors not have to take millions of years.

Apr 25, 2014, 7:55 AM [ in reply to Huh, even the definition of science has changed to... ]

You can see it today a even in people. Average weight of Americans is much higher than it used to be. People are evolving to their new environment.

An asteroid hit Russia a decade ago. I can not reproduce that. Guess asteroids are not real.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Not sure which schools your child went to

Apr 24, 2014, 8:00 PM [ in reply to Re: As a Christian, I want the government completely out of ]

But when I taught the theories of evolution and creation, I taught them as theories. If asked about creationism, I deferred to the student's religious advisor. If pressed for my opinion, I merely started that I believe the Bible is not a How to create a universe instruction manual. There are facts to show the world was not created in seven days, the world and universe are more than a few thousand years old, etc. That does not invalidate the belief that God, or whatever diety you believe in, is responsible for creation. My belief as a teacher was that I was there to present information, differentiate between fact and theory, and leave religion to the parents. It is a fine line to walk.

Re: Not sure which schools your child went to

Apr 25, 2014, 4:59 PM

Good post.

Just so I'm clear ...

Apr 24, 2014, 8:42 PM [ in reply to As a Christian, I want the government completely out of ]

This dialogue IS NOT ok in public universities ...

Coach - I'm a christian and I go to church.

Student - I'm also a Christian and away from home. Where can I go to church?

Coach - Well, I'll be happy to take you to church with me on Sunday. I encourage religious worship.

But this dialogue IS ok in some public middle schools and even some elementary schools...

Student - Mrs. Teacher, I'm considering being sexually active with my boyfriend.

Teacher - Well, student, I can't advise you one way or another, but here's some free birth control and the name of a doctor who can prescribe more.

Something seems out of whack to me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Just so I'm clear ...

Apr 24, 2014, 9:37 PM

I get your point but from being a teacher, the first is OK by our current rules while I believe the second will get a teacher fired. We only teach abstinence in sc. Pretty sure most teachers might feel that they could not advise either way but they sure as he!! Would get the school counselor involved. This is from reality, not FFRF view point.

Re: FFRF and the constitution

Apr 24, 2014, 7:39 AM

An EXCELLENT explanation. Thank you.

Apr 24, 2014, 7:43 AM

They understand the constitution about as much as our current POTUS.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Apr 24, 2014, 8:03 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkdSbN5ov8w

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic