Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Almost perfect player to compare KJ to:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1,530

Almost perfect player to compare KJ to:

Apr 23, 2014, 9:21 AM

Last night while watching the Wizards-Bulls game, the announcers started to describe Jimmy Butler. They were saying he was a 3 year player out of Marquette, played the 4 there because of his athletic ability, was drafted with the 30th pick in the draft, started to really develop his offensive game once he was drafted, shedding the image of being a defense-first kind of player. All of that came out of the TNT announcers' mouths and is almost a perfect parallel to KJ. Butler is 6'7'' also. A decent player to be compared to but Im almost positive KJ has more athletic ability. Just felt like sharing to y'all what I heard last night.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like the Andre Iguodala comparisons myself

Apr 23, 2014, 9:27 AM

both 6'6 small forwards, both considered more as athletes who play basketball out of high school, etc.

thats fair as well

Apr 23, 2014, 9:29 AM

Both players are pretty close to what KJ does on the court.

That's a stretch

Apr 23, 2014, 10:35 AM [ in reply to I like the Andre Iguodala comparisons myself ]

I love KJ but Andre is perhaps the best on-ball defender in the league. KJ is very good but will find the NBA different as he only has marginal quickness (feet, not jumping) and his weak-side blocks will be tougher to navigate.

I hope he develops quickly so he doesn't get pushed out to the D-league after a year or so. If he gets on the right team, I think he can have some staying power.

One thing is for sure, I'm really going to miss his on-court play. One of the most electric college players I've ever seen.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Almost perfect player to compare KJ to:

Apr 23, 2014, 9:31 AM

The difference is on-ball defense. KJ is not a great on-ball defender. He sometimes lets someone by him and relies on his jumping ability to make a great block at the rim. Unfortunately, if he does that in the NBA he will get scorched. Jimmy Butler is a guy who can lock down a great scorer 1 on 1.

I agree though, KJ's athleticism is rare and he does have the tools to be successful in the NBA, but he has a lot more to work on than just his offensive game.

I hope KJ gets drafted by the Wizards ...

Apr 23, 2014, 9:38 AM

that would be cool, having two former Tigers on the same team

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not Tiger Football

Apr 23, 2014, 10:01 AM

jeez, peeps....this place is getting outa control!

I think Scottie Pippen when I see KJ play

Apr 23, 2014, 10:03 AM

Long, great leaper, disrupts passing lanes, appears out of thin air to block shots, adequate shooter but could improve.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think Scottie Pippen when I see KJ play

Apr 23, 2014, 10:35 AM

Pippen? Come on man.

Jimmy Butler played every minute of his playoff game last night (53 min)

Lets pump the brakes fellas

He didn't say he was as good as Pippen. They do have a

Apr 23, 2014, 2:24 PM

similar style. Pippen was much better in a team concept as he was a much better passer. Hopefully that will come with KJ.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Shawn Marion for the drewtigeralum win***

Apr 23, 2014, 10:10 AM

The most similar player I can compare him to is

Apr 23, 2014, 10:37 AM

Christian Eyenga, the first round pick for the Cavaliers back in 2009. Both are great dunkers and shot blockers for 6-6 guys, but they're also both very raw offensively and defensively as on-ball defenders. Eyenga wasn't able to improve that much, but I think his inability to speak English played a big part of his failure to develop.

The other players I'd compare him to are Gerald Wallace, Thabo Sefolosha, and Terrance Ross.

The Iguodala comparisons are absolute best-case scenario, but they involve McDaniels becoming one of the best passers and most offensively aware players in the NBA, which is highly unlikely. Iguodala came out of college averaging 5 assists per game, and now he averages 5 APG for his career in the NBA. His passing and basketball IQ is what makes him special.

McDaniels career-high for assists in a game was 4, and he averaged just 1.6 APG this year. McDaniels just doesn't possess the same level of offensive awareness or natural basketball IQ on the offensive end as Iguodala. He also doesn't have the ball-handling skills of Iguodala.

I do, however think McDaniels is a bit more athletic, and has the potential to be as good or even a better player defensively than Iggy.

Re: The most similar player I can compare him to is

Apr 23, 2014, 2:13 PM

Thabo Sefolosha was my NBA comparison for KJ. Good breakdown.

Re: The most similar player I can compare him to is

Apr 23, 2014, 5:14 PM [ in reply to The most similar player I can compare him to is ]

The Iggy comparisons are for when Iggy first got into the league not who he is now. He was nothing more than an athletic defender who could not shoot. NO ONE is saying he is what Iggy is now. Iggy was very raw and widely thought to be making a huge mistake. He is noticeably more muscular now, has a weird but better shot and has a deceptive quickness much like KJ.

Thanks, good share.***

Apr 23, 2014, 1:29 PM

Replies: 14
| visibility 1,530
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic