Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Damage Message Boards Can Do.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1643

The Damage Message Boards Can Do.

May 13, 2010, 9:55 AM

Very interesting article. Some of you/us need to think twice about the BS posted about players, AND coaches.

http://www.thestate.com/2010/05/13/1284307/internet-has-a-big-impact-on-recruiting.html

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Important read for everyone here. Thanks.***

May 13, 2010, 10:02 AM

So if you want to discourage a recruit(s) from selecting

May 13, 2010, 10:20 AM

a certain school then go to that team's message board and talk crap about the recruit and the university and it will influence some kids from going there? Got it!!! Maybe recruits need to learn that there are people in the cyber world that don't represent the university they are interested in and are doing all they can to sabotage that school's efforts. Furthermore maybe they need to realize that some recruiting analysts, kronbutt, cough, cough, are also playing the same game. How about recruits realize that the cyberworld is not worth worrying about because it's full of frauds and phonies.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

they would all do well to neither read it or talk to media

May 13, 2010, 10:25 AM

and if we had world peace and no hunger it would be good too.

Not happening

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We certainly see that happening on this board, so there's no

May 13, 2010, 10:57 AM [ in reply to So if you want to discourage a recruit(s) from selecting ]

reason to think it doesn't happen on other message boards....not to mention the comments posted after news reports.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ok, so new plan: everyone go onto FGF posing as

May 13, 2010, 1:12 PM

Coots (just act really dumb and spell simple words wrong) and badmouth all their recruits!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bull. Any fan can pose as a member of a board and write

May 13, 2010, 2:01 PM

whatever they want. Most of the negative stuff on this board is cognitocoots. If a coaching staff can't explain this to recruits, then they can't sell water in the desert.

I agree that message boards have no impact on recruiting.

May 14, 2010, 8:45 PM

H.S. players and those advising them have more brains. Coaches say it can hurt recruiting because they want to cover every possibility no matter how remote.

Still, most of the negative stuff on here comes from actuall Tiger fans, though, there are a few Coots posing as Tigers I'm sure.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is still damage from a message board regardless.***

May 16, 2010, 1:03 PM [ in reply to Bull. Any fan can pose as a member of a board and write ]

Honestly, if a kid makes his choice based on fan websites,

May 15, 2010, 1:42 AM

he's an idiot! When I was 18 I was mature enough & smart enough to make my own decisions. A kid should go to the school he feels most comfortable in terms of coaches, players, academics, campus, facilities, game day experience, etc. Crap on a website should be the last thing in the world influencing a kid and so far down the list its inconsequential.

I disagree, I think a message board is a GENERAL reflection

May 15, 2010, 7:38 AM

of the school its supposedly supporting. I've noticed during this expansion process some really lame ideas about Clemson and well, it just doesn't look good. These conspiracy theories about everything from Heather Dinich to "TDP" and Barker really don't make a lot of sense. Why would people charged with the responsibility of making Clemson a better place sabatoge it? I mean that's what I'm hearing, the administration is going to intentionally ruin our football program and we're gonna let a mammoth 85,000 seat capacity stadium just fill up halfway on Saturdays from now on? It never made us any money anyway, the people who love Clemson won't miss it, we don't really identify with it, its just a hole in the ground and tons of concrete. Oh, I know, we'll just take the upper decks off and form a lacrosse team so we can buddy up with Duke and Virginia and maybe our academic reputation will get better.
Yeah, that'll work.

I've also heard this "everybody hates us" mentality like Clemson has some kind of an inferiority complex. Well Clemson doesn't, if you went to Clemson you should know
there is NOTHING to feel inferior about. If you're hunched behind your computer all day trying to fuel or start rumors that aren't even creative lies then yeah, I'd be feeling a little inferior too.

And think of it this way... there aren't too many colleges on equal playing fields that buddy up to one another. Clemson is a business, academia is a business, its all about money and and its an endless cycle of attracting the best faculty, winning the biggest grants, having the best facilities on and off campus, filling a football stadium past 85,000 on Saturdays and it goes on and on and on. Its business and its competition and Clemson is doing a pretty good job competing I think.

I read some of these threads and it just burns me out.

Absolutely agree*****

May 15, 2010, 12:34 PM [ in reply to Honestly, if a kid makes his choice based on fan websites, ]

Why risk it?

May 16, 2010, 1:27 PM [ in reply to Honestly, if a kid makes his choice based on fan websites, ]

I have found that the younger generation views this internet thing very different than some of the older folks do.

I guess when I hear numerous examples of how the internet and before the rise of the internet radio recruiting show rumors influenced kids I figure why risk it. Plus the media seem to cite internet message boards more and more implying that is how the general fan base feels.

Not talking about censorship, but certainly a measured approach to what we post, how we talk about recruits, our school, our coaches etc.

Often I see people that like to rail away at everything orange have trouble accepting what the coaches and the kids and their families say about the impact of the internet. For me there are better ways to effectuate change that present less risk of damaging our school and our recruiting.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

civis Americanus sum

Re: Honestly, if a kid makes his choice based on fan websites,

May 16, 2010, 3:17 PM [ in reply to Honestly, if a kid makes his choice based on fan websites, ]

I agree. I think the USC coach is worrying a little too much. I would never criticize an individual recruit on the internet, but I think this is just an avenue for fans with very biased, and heartfelt opinions. To let us influence where you choose to go to college is pretty shallow. There are many more important reasons the coach, the academics, the chance at playing time, the coeds.....

People are just now re-realizing this? So obvious.***

May 15, 2010, 5:40 PM

Lawing is lying. Coaches read it and use it

May 16, 2010, 3:22 PM

They have people just reading rivals boards for info and when rival fans say anything negative they print if off and show it to the recruit/parents.

So the coaches that are recruiting are using the forums to negative recruit. Lawing is about as dirty as they come.
They have to do damage control because the coaches themselves are causing damage.

Replies: 15
| visibility 1643
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic