Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Jack Leggett's Situation
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 2

Jack Leggett's Situation

Jun 29, 2011, 7:52 PM

I believe Jack Leggett is in an undesirable situation as far as coaching at a particular program is concerned. Clemson’s archrival is South Carolina, a team that has just won consecutive national titles in baseball. Henceforth, nothing that Leggett achieves short of a national title will satisfy or pacify the Clemson fan base. Appearances in the CWS without a ring will no longer suffice as the fans will remain disgruntled. Only championships will make them happy.

None of the excuses will longer work: he needs more time, his teams had injuries (so did Tanner’s), his players are young, ad infinitum. Tanner’s team just finds ways to win.

A program is often judged by the success of its most hated rival. When your archrival reaches a championship level, you also better follow suit and win a title to keep the fan base content. I may be wrong in my theory, but it is interesting that several heated archrivals have won national titles within a close time frame.

UNC won the 1993 men’s basketball title a year after Duke repeated as champs.

Duke basketball earned a national title in 2010, a year after UNC did it in 2009.

The Tar Heels were the 1982 hoops winner. NC State (then a dominant program) followed suit in 1983.

Alabama was the BCS champ in 2009. Auburn follows suit a year thereafter.

The Crimson Tide won the football crown in 1992. War Eagle goes undefeated in 1993, but was unable to play for the title because of probation.

The LA Lakers and Boston Celtics regularly traded NBA titles in the hotly contested 1980s.

Notre Dame and USC, in their glory days, also traded football titles.

FSU wins it all in football in 1993 and Florida gets its trophy in 1996.

More examples probably exist, but I must avoid a laundry list (too late). I simply cannot see how Jack Leggett will be truly appreciated at Clemson if he never accomplishes the CWS championship. Wilhelm also lacked a CWS trophy, but had the good fortune of having a rival that had no rings as well. For Leggett, no such buffer remains.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Jack Leggett's Situation

Jun 29, 2011, 8:11 PM

Clemson wins National Championship in football in 1981 and USC has never smelled anything until last year. However, your point is made to a certain extent.

Jun 29, 2011, 8:31 PM

An NC is good to have in any of the sports. But come on, BaseBall is down the list of importance. For me its FootBall, Basketball, Golf, and Baseball. I think that Leggett will get us there. But would much rather have a NC in Football or Basketball!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In terms of money & prestige, its FB, BB, baseball, then the

Jun 29, 2011, 8:33 PM

rest are pretty even, although folks prolly follow golf & soccer more closely since they are huge participation sports.

I highly doubt that baseball breaks even***

Jun 29, 2011, 8:38 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

its much closer than anything else and i also said prestige***

Jun 29, 2011, 8:41 PM

Re: I highly doubt that baseball breaks even***

Jul 6, 2011, 11:52 AM [ in reply to I highly doubt that baseball breaks even*** ]

You might be surpised

For what it's worth...

Jun 29, 2011, 9:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Jack Leggett's Situation ]

SC did have its only ever 10-win season in 1984, not too long after Clemson won the football title in 1981. Though, this example may be merely coincidence.

Jul 4, 2011, 3:15 AM [ in reply to Re: Jack Leggett's Situation ]

While Clemson winning the NC in 1981 is obviously a great thing, I think it's about time we get over resting on our laurels for that one. THAT was 20 years ago. Don't you think it's about time we work on something a little more recent?

Jul 4, 2011, 8:18 AM

20? The math is not strong with this one.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Obvious coot

Jul 6, 2011, 11:28 AM

first 11 post, it's content sucks, and it shows a lack of education. Yep, coot!

Jun 29, 2011, 8:19 PM

very well thought out;very well said.. all very ture.. sonce 2000 Tanner and his thugs have completely kicked our ####!! and I see nothing that even looks like any changes are to be made!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 29, 2011, 8:20 PM

What a crock

Jack is 0-4 in Omaha vs. USC. They own us. Period!***

Jun 29, 2011, 8:26 PM

Re: Jack is 0-4 in Omaha vs. USC. They own us. Period!***

Jun 29, 2011, 8:27 PM

your coots are the greatest. we get it

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 29, 2011, 8:21 PM

the turnip crop is bountiful. must be all the rain we got

Like a ground hog, you bury your head and ignore the facts.***

Jun 29, 2011, 8:27 PM

Clemson has also been passed by UVa & UNC which were

Jun 29, 2011, 8:24 PM

ACC baseball chumps not too long ago. And Sully, Paw, & Corbin are all doing well at schools that sucked before they got there. Vandy doesn't even have an AD.

Oregon State was/is a college baseball nobody and they recently won back to back CWS championships.

To make matters worse, USC seems to excel under pressure, whereas we get tight (like Jack) and fold like a cheap lawn chair under post season pressure.

Re: Clemson has also been passed by UVa & UNC which were

Jun 29, 2011, 8:26 PM

the coot idiot chimes in again.

Please point out my factual errors. Knock yourself out. Also

Jun 29, 2011, 8:31 PM

genius, answer this: If I'm a coot and hate Clemson, why am I on here regularly advocating for things to make Clemson better? Why would I want a proven winner like Lech or Patterson to replace Dabo? As a USC fan, wouldn't I be one of Dabo's biggest supporters? Every coot I know hopes we give Dabo a lifetime contract. Jack too!

Calling me a coot is stupid. It defies logic.

Calling me an idiot for posting facts is a personal attack

Jun 30, 2011, 2:59 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson has also been passed by UVa & UNC which were ]

But I don't feel the need to run to Crump. I'm pretty sure I'm man enough to handle it.

Jun 29, 2011, 9:12 PM

im just looking for just a bit of mental toughness from a JL coached team....everbody sees the drop off after sully left......horrible fielding and baserunning---coaching issues. ive seen mental toughness at CU before with all 4 of our titles and in the finish of our fb team in 2003......never seen it in baseball.....disappointing considering the good teams that we have fielded.

Jun 29, 2011, 9:27 PM

College baseball = irrelevant sport to at least 90% of sports fans.

Its huge in the south. CU & USC get almost as many fans

Jun 30, 2011, 3:00 AM

at big baseball games as basketball.

Softball got more coverage than baseball.******

Jul 4, 2011, 7:46 AM [ in reply to Re: Jack Leggett's Situation ]

Jun 30, 2011, 10:36 PM

Yeah, his situation is so bad he is going to receive a two year extension through 2016.

there is no situation w/ Leggett. just whiney posts

Jun 30, 2011, 11:13 PM

like this

Jul 4, 2011, 7:01 AM

Leggett put himself in this situation. Overlooking many players from SC that are now stars for Carolina is just the tip of the iceberg.

Jul 4, 2011, 8:04 AM

betty white 15 that was 30 years ago

Jul 4, 2011, 8:10 AM

I love how coots have absolutely no life and are so interested in Clemson. SCar is great in baseball, whoever denies this is an idiot. BUT you have and will always blow in football, making a championship game makes you 1st loser. We haven't won a conference since 91 but that is better than 69. :)

Jack Leggett's situation is that he is one of the 10-15 best

Jul 4, 2011, 9:52 AM

coaches in the country. Unfortunately, one of the two or three best coaches at our archrival. And a couple of the other top-15 (Corbin, Sully) coached under Leggett and some fans see bringing one of them as a step up.

I'm a HUGE Clemson baseball fan, and I've often railed against some of Leggett's decisions. There was a time when I wanted a change at head coach. But I've reversed course on that.

So I completely understand the point of view of those who want a change. I've come around to realizing that the "bird in the hand" adage is correct. Any coaching change brings risk. I'd rather continue to see Coach Leggett steer the ship and hopefully take us to a National Title than make a change and risk backsliding.

Jul 6, 2011, 11:24 AM

Can't help but be amused watching the same group of fans that hyped up & gushed over a GOLF title try to downplay a baseball title (or two). And don't claim you didn't. I've never seen a fanbase get as excited over a national title in golf as Clemson fans did.

USC winning had nothing to do with it

Jul 8, 2011, 2:07 AM

Jack's gotten to Omaha several times the past ten years with no results. More recently we've gotten beat down by USC in Omaha and/or we've choked away golden opportunities. Jack's under pressure because the fan base is tired of waiting for the breakthrough.

SC has alot to do with it, dont kid yourself***

Jul 8, 2011, 8:24 AM

Re: SC has alot to do with it, dont kid yourself***

Jul 8, 2011, 9:14 AM

Great post. I too love baseball as it is our best sport over the last 50 years. I have been to many packed houses at Tiger Field (or DK) and have found it as exciting as any Tiger sport, mainly because we are always very good. As for Jack, I do think he is in a tough spot in regards to what Carolina is doing. I respect Tanner and the way his teams play. They are hard nosed, gritty and some how find a way to win. They take on Tanner's personality. I think Jack is the same way, it's just that his teams are not as tough. I still think it's just a matter of time before we get in a situation that Carolina is in. Be patient, but isn't it nice that baseball is the one sport (maybe golf), that we expect to contend for the National Championship year in and year out?

Replies: 34
| visibility 2
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic