Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
SEC Biased....8 of 12 teams ranked in top 25 preseason.....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 65
| visibility 3

SEC Biased....8 of 12 teams ranked in top 25 preseason.....

Aug 22, 2011, 11:58 AM

no, there is no biased here.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

won't be for long, if last season is any indication

Aug 22, 2011, 11:59 AM

SEC was bad except for a couple teams

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: won't be for long, if last season is any indication

Aug 22, 2011, 12:01 PM

6 teams ended in the Top 25, including #22 South Carolina.

sooo... the SEC West, plus South Carolina?***

Aug 22, 2011, 12:03 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and....? the sec is THE strongest conference in all the

Aug 22, 2011, 12:25 PM

land. so what? it's widely known, widely accepted. trying to diminish it only makes us look like the weak little brother. we should try and work on seeing the clemson sports world for what it is.....we are desperately trying to keep our head above water in a weak conference. we will get there, but at the moment, we are struggling. stop obsessing about usuc!

Deldoe, please see the post below...

Aug 22, 2011, 12:35 PM

I am willing to bet your team does not fare as well this year as they did last year.

Are you willing to put your money where your big, fat beak is?

Re: Deldoe, please see the post below...

Aug 22, 2011, 7:59 PM

Stanley,

I've been trying to beat your ####. I've got my fiddle and all!

if the SEC is only 2-3 teams, then sure

Aug 22, 2011, 3:10 PM [ in reply to and....? the sec is THE strongest conference in all the ]

I do not think they are the deepest conference, and that shows out in the fact that the ACC has either had a winning record with them head to head or tied them for a number of years. But don't expect to hear that when the ACC doesn't have an elite team, and the SEC's elite teams (1-2 most years) are winning the national championship.

I can agree that the SEC is the best conference, for now, but what I won't say is that they're the best top to bottom when the evidence doesn't bear that out.

Further, this has nothing to do with USuC. Contrary to what you seem to think I was saying, I'm trying to counter the mindless obsession with the SEC.

Re: if the SEC is only 2-3 teams, then sure

Aug 22, 2011, 3:43 PM

How in the world wouldn't you consider the SEC the deepest conference?

Aug 22, 2011, 7:59 PM

the sec is the best conf. but,they are very top heavy.they always have 1-2 elite teams,1 or 2 very good teams,then the rest of the teams.numbers 5 or 6 on down,they are no better than most aq confs.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 22, 2011, 11:17 PM

I disagree. Last year, 5/6 of the SEC West teams had 9+ wins. Overall, 6 of the 12 teams had at least 9 wins. There were 4 10-win teams.

The year before that, 4 teams had 9+ wins and 10 of the 12 teams had winning records.

In 2008, they had 3 10-win teams.

It has consistently been the top conference, from top to bottom for quite a few years now.

Those stats don't support your argument....

Aug 23, 2011, 1:19 PM

Perhaps those teams at the top have all those wins because they beat up on the crappy teams at the bottom of the league? This makes a strong argument that the SEC is simply top heavy and not deep.

Also, talking about wins is dumb, because we all know the majority of the SEC plays absolute trash for their non-conference schedule.

null

Re: Those stats don't support your argument....

Aug 23, 2011, 2:16 PM

How does that not support my claim? 10/12 teams had winning records in 2009.

How about you guys provide some material that proves there is a better top-to-bottom league?

Well, I can verify this much...

Aug 23, 2011, 6:51 PM [ in reply to Re: if the SEC is only 2-3 teams, then sure ]

Lining up the current teams of the ACC Atlantic versus the teams of the SEC East, the average ranking of the ACC Atlantic was higher than the SEC East in 7 of the last 10 seasons.

Re: Well, I can verify this much...

Aug 24, 2011, 12:11 PM

Can you post the stats? Also, what about the SEC West? Four of the last eight national champions have come from that division alone...I know that doesn't always mean much in terms of averages, but it has clearly been the better division.

I don't have the SEC West compiled at the moment.

Aug 24, 2011, 12:27 PM

I concentrated on the SEC East, since that is more relevant in our rivalry.

Year: ACC Atl AVG, SEC East AVG
2010: 45, 55
2009: 58, 42
2008: 34, 36
2007: 29, 26
2006: 39, 26
2005: 36, 46
2004: 41, 50
2003: 28, 46
2002: 27, 44
2001: 32, 37

These stats show the ACC Atlantic was better, top to bottom, than the SEC East during most years of the last decade. That also signifies it's harder to get wins in ACC Atlantic.

I imagine the SEC West vs ACC Coastal shakes out in the SEC's favor. I'll check it one of these days. Good thing for the ##### they don't often play the best of that division.

Oh, by the way, Clemson has been higher ranked than uSC in 7 out of 10 years as well.

Re: I don't have the SEC West compiled at the moment.

Aug 24, 2011, 12:40 PM

Thanks for posting that. What is the "AVG"? Is that the number of wins total from that division that year?

I know we've been better than Carolina over the past ten years...I wasn't referring to our matchup with them. Overall, in my opinion there isn't any question as to which is better.

It's tough to talk about how "top heavy" the SEC is though, when they've usually got two teams ranked in to the top 5 and three or so in the Top 10. At least they've got a top. That's the most frustrating thing about playing in the ACC: we can win the conference every year, but that's because our top team wins 9 games.

AVG, typically the acronym for "average", as in average

Aug 24, 2011, 12:46 PM

end of season ranking. This list shows average end of season rankings for the division. Thought that was pretty clear. All in all, the SEC East has clearly been top heavy as compared to the ACC Atlantic.

Re: AVG, typically the acronym for "average", as in average

Aug 24, 2011, 1:09 PM

Perhaps I should have written my reply more clearly. I understand what "AVG" is...I was just wondering what it was representing.

Thanks for the stats. I'd say they're pretty even, with a minimal skew towards the ACC Atlantic. That said, it's sort of tough to ignore that in that time period, that division has won two national championships and four other BCS bowls. I think that alone would put the SEC East far above the ACC Atlantic, even if the averages are pretty even.

Again, the East top has been better, but as a whole, the Atl

Aug 24, 2011, 1:40 PM

has been better. It could be said that winning in an easier division may have benefited Florida. That's one team, and that one team is pretty much what allowed the East to have the higher AVG in 3 of 10 years. 3 of 10 really isn't that close.

Re: Again, the East top has been better, but as a whole, the Atl

Aug 24, 2011, 1:48 PM

Well Florida and Georgia...though they've had a rough couple of years, the Dawgs have won two BCS bowls in the past decade.

I guess we're just going to have to agree to disagree on this subject. I find it hard to consider us on par with the SEC East when our division hasn't really done anything impressive since FSU won the national championship in 1999.

I'm not sure what you're disagreeing with here?

Aug 24, 2011, 7:38 PM

The top is good, no doubt. The rest, and combined with the top, not so much. Not as good as the ACC Atlantic anyway.

The numbers, AS A WHOLE, tell the absolute tale. They clearly show it's typically harder to collect wins in the ACC Atlantic than it is in the SEC East. What are you disagreeing with?

You sure do spend a lot of time defending uSC and the SEC. You sound a lot like a cocklover.

Re: and....? the sec is THE strongest conference in all the

Aug 22, 2011, 3:39 PM [ in reply to and....? the sec is THE strongest conference in all the ]

I agree about the SEC being the strongest conference. I don't necessarily agree that we're trying to keep our head above water though...I think we're doing alright and last year was an aberration.

Again...

Aug 22, 2011, 12:33 PM [ in reply to Re: won't be for long, if last season is any indication ]

I am willing to bet you will not have as 'successful' of a year this year as you did last year.

Stop all the nonsensical BS and put your money where you beak is.

Re: Again...

Aug 22, 2011, 3:50 PM

> I am willing to bet you will not have as 'successful'
> of a year this year as you did last year.
>
> Stop all the nonsensical BS and put your money where
> you beak is.

What is your definition of "as successful" year? Need to know more info before you can have legit bet.

Message was edited by: clay1029®

StanTard will have trouble with that***

Aug 22, 2011, 6:21 PM

Yes, I'd like to know exactly what records he

Aug 22, 2011, 7:27 PM

predicts for both Carolina and clemson, too.

What you mean Dirt Cash? You want some of the action?***

Aug 23, 2011, 12:41 PM [ in reply to StanTard will have trouble with that*** ]

Re: What you mean Dirt Cash? You want some of the action?***

Aug 23, 2011, 2:57 PM

Not sure if you were responding to me but I'll bet on the lower rankings but not the SEC East title. I think USC ended up 22nd in the AP poll last year so I'll bet you a year's orange level TigerNet ($79.99) that South Carolina will end up better than 22nd in the AP. If they end up 22nd than the bet is a push and anything above 22nd you win.

Noted and agreed.***

Aug 23, 2011, 6:37 PM

Re: Noted and agreed.***

Aug 23, 2011, 7:21 PM

Sounds good should be fun to see who wins. We will use the final AP poll after the national championship.

Disagreed on using only one poll.

Aug 23, 2011, 7:23 PM

We will use Massey's consensus poll, which includes the AP.

http://masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm

Re: Disagreed on using only one poll.

Aug 24, 2011, 10:45 AM

What did South Carolina end up ranked in that poll last year?

19th.***

Aug 24, 2011, 12:07 PM

Re: 19th.***

Aug 24, 2011, 1:16 PM

Sounds good, no problem using that poll.

Lower ranking and no SEC east title.***

Aug 23, 2011, 12:41 PM [ in reply to Re: Again... ]

Poop***

Aug 23, 2011, 12:44 PM

You said..."SEC was bad except for a few teams."....

Aug 22, 2011, 7:45 PM [ in reply to won't be for long, if last season is any indication ]

How can that be when half of the conference was ranked at the end of the year, and the HIGHEST ranking ACC team (the ACC Champion) was ranked behind all but South Carolina.

That's the whole point of this post

Aug 22, 2011, 11:24 PM

Perception has 2/3 of the SEC as top 25 teams. A lot of unranked teams are just as good as some of those, but the media has anointed a set of schools superior to all others by association. It's how SC proves their worth most years, and how teams like Mississippi St. somehow get recognition over teams that would probably kick the #### out of them.

Re: That's the whole point of this post

Aug 23, 2011, 5:43 AM

It's the samething with usuck every year
Did y'all not go 0-21 the first years in the SUC
Do a history report Usuck and please check your sources.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WRONG.

Aug 23, 2011, 12:44 PM [ in reply to You said..."SEC was bad except for a few teams.".... ]

Faddy, EVERY team in the SEC East was ranked lower than their closest counterpart in the ACC Atlantic. EVERY one of them.

The SEC was it's worst in decades, otherwise you don't sniff a division title.

By the way, you can give up the psychotic charade.

Re: SEC Biased....8 of 12 teams ranked in top 25 preseason.....

Aug 22, 2011, 3:47 PM

Come on...how are they overrated? Maybe 8 is too much, but they deserve at least 6 or 7 in the Top 25.

Alabama, LSU, Arkansas, Mississippi State, and South Carolina are all in position to have an extremely successful year. Georgia, Auburn and Florida are all loaded with talent, but have a higher probablity of failure than the others.

Georgia because they don't have a running back and overall appear to have more holes.

Auburn because they lost the best player in the country and now have to start a new QB

Florida because they have a complete shakeup of their coaching staff.

If I were to rank those three on their potential for success, I'd go:
1. Florida
2. Auburn
3. Georgia (which is tough, because I really like Georgia)

Aug 22, 2011, 3:54 PM

The only team on there that doesn't deserve to be ranked in Auburn, and they got on their solely based on last season's success. Florida may well be a flop, its tough to tell with a new coach in place, but I have no doubt they have the talent to be succesful

Aug 22, 2011, 4:46 PM

I agree Auburn is mostly ranked because of their prior season...but they've still got a talent-laden roster. If their QB is decent, I wouldn't be surprised for them to finish in the Top 25.

Neither Florida nor Georgia belong on there either.***

Aug 23, 2011, 1:22 PM [ in reply to Re: SEC Biased....8 of 12 teams ranked in top 25 preseason..... ]

null

Why is it biased? 6 were ranked last year, 6 finished ranked

Aug 22, 2011, 7:40 PM

...including the fifth straight National Champion from the SEC...

...just face the truth, the SEC is THE power conference.

Re: Why is it biased? 6 were ranked last year, 6 finished ranked

Aug 22, 2011, 7:52 PM

And usuc has done NOTHING to enhance the reputation of the sec !!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 22, 2011, 8:04 PM

Tiger49,

who said USC had anything to do with it. This year however they do since they are preseason ranked #12.

I don't for one second believe they are that good

Aug 22, 2011, 11:45 PM

And that's the point of the post. The perception that the SEC is so superior to everybody that SC is the 12th best team in the country is a disgrace.

In bowl games, where teams are supposedly evenly matched, the SEC fares no better than other major conferences. The national championships are impressive, but top to bottom there isn't a huge amount of separation from the rest of the country. Hence, the SEC is overrated.

Re: I don't for one second believe they are that good

Aug 23, 2011, 12:39 AM

Do you think maybe its because of the way the bowl games are tied in, for example the number 2 acc team plays the number 5 sec team in a bowl game. Its set up that way to have a more evenly matched game. If the number 2 sec team played the number 2 acc team, the sec would win 85% of the time.

Re: I don't for one second believe they are that good

Aug 23, 2011, 8:47 AM [ in reply to I don't for one second believe they are that good ]

FWIW, I think the loser of the SEC Championship Game does not typically fare well in their bowl game. The bowl game is of much less significance to that team than the SEC Championship game they just lost. That bowl game is like the proverbial blender parting gift on a game show.

Well that excuse isn't valid for last year...

Aug 23, 2011, 1:24 PM

because the loser of the SEC championship played the loser of the ACC championship in a bowl game and got flat out beat.

null

That YOU submit NOTHING to!***

Aug 23, 2011, 1:31 PM [ in reply to Why is it biased? 6 were ranked last year, 6 finished ranked ]

There's something in these hills.

Aug 23, 2011, 10:08 PM [ in reply to Why is it biased? 6 were ranked last year, 6 finished ranked ]

AND, DUKE SUX!!!!!!

Five losses for an SEC Least Chump? Pathetic

Aug 23, 2011, 11:01 PM [ in reply to Why is it biased? 6 were ranked last year, 6 finished ranked ]

And unprecidented. Never happened before - never happen again.

And they lose to ACC Atlantic Champ!

ACC div CHAMP beats SEC div CHUMP!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

8 of 12 huh? Can't be because they are the no. 1 conference

Aug 23, 2011, 8:38 PM

period. Sigh, wish we were there. Oh well, go ACC, and the also rans.

8 of 12 huh? Can't be because they are the no. 1 conference

Aug 23, 2011, 8:38 PM

period. Sigh, wish we were there. Oh well, go ACC, and the also rans.

Aug 23, 2011, 9:34 PM

Aug 24, 2011, 12:14 PM

This thread is ridiculous. The SEC is easily the best conference in the nation. There is no question about it. The excuses being made here are absurd.

I know we're all Clemson fans, but let's try to be a little objective here guys...

Aug 24, 2011, 12:17 PM

It's funny how we get on here and ##### and moan about the SEC, their national attention, yada, yada, yada, yet we're foaming at the mouth if the word "expansion" is mentioned in the media. They have won 5 STRAIGHT NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS in football, about 7 of 9 of the last baseball championships and our hated rival has won BACK to BACK. So yeah, I can see why they have 8 of 12 teams ranked. Maybe if we get lucky one day, we can hop on their bandwagon and won't have to post crap like this.

Aug 24, 2011, 12:24 PM

I agree with the general message of your post. The excuses made on here are borderline insane.

"Well the average of the SEC East is lower than the average of the ACC Atlantic"...really dude? They're winning National Championships while we're getting crushed in nearly every BCS Bowl game we play in. We've won two BCS games in our history. One was FSU in its glory days...the other was against Cincinnatti. 2-11 is easily the worst record in the BCS era.

I'm not saying we should feel bad about ourselves...but let's quiet down the "AWWWWW ESPN IS BIASED, THEY JUST DON'T LIKE US" talk.

You sound like a #### SEC homer...

Aug 24, 2011, 12:29 PM

Meanwhile the #### have dpone virtually NOTHING for the SEC.

Oh, and here are the stats you requested:

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=10875588

Re: You sound like a #### SEC homer...

Aug 24, 2011, 12:43 PM

I have zero affiliation with Carolina. I simply try to look at things objectively.

Thanks for the stats, I replied to your previous reply above.

"Objective" may only be in the eyes of the guy thinking he's

Aug 24, 2011, 12:46 PM

being objective. Just saying.

Reading this entire thread just made me a lot dumber.***

Aug 24, 2011, 1:27 PM

Aug 24, 2011, 1:40 PM

nuh-uh

Replies: 65
| visibility 3
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic