Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
25 worst traitors in sports history..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

25 worst traitors in sports history..

Jul 10, 2010, 11:24 PM

Tommy Bowden comes in at #10 here on this list.. LOL..

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/417664-benedict-arnold-all-stars-25-worst-traitors-in-sports-history#page/10

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 25 worst traitors in sports history..

Jul 10, 2010, 11:30 PM

My bad.. It's actually 17th..

Jul 10, 2010, 11:31 PM

They had a perfect season. I don't think they would've won a NC at Tulane. Why was it so bad he came to Clemson?

Jul 10, 2010, 11:34 PM

Don't agree with a lot of that list. First off, Brett Favre is the clear cut number 1 in my book and it's not even close.

Don't see how you can fault a lot of those guys including Bowden.

Favre is no doubt No. 1.

Jul 10, 2010, 11:35 PM

Boggs was a little much with the Yankees.

Is that writer drunk???????????????

Jul 11, 2010, 12:52 AM [ in reply to Re: 25 worst traitors in sports history.. ]

How on earth could she possibly call Tommy Bowden a traitor?? Tommy Bowden left Tulane, a conference USA school, to go to a BCS conference school who had some past success. That is not why that article totally does not make sense to me, though. What is even more crazy, is that Rich Rodriguez left West Virginia for Michigan. Bowden, and no Rodriguez.....that is mind boggling. Does she not think, that leaving a team who you just had three straight 11 win seasons with, to go to Michigan, is not as big of a deal as Bowden leaving Tulane for Clemson? And on top of that, Rodriguez is a West Virginia graduate!!

What about Rick Barnes? Texas was never a major player in college basketball until Barnes started coaching there.

What about Mack Brown? He was starting to have some great success at UNC, but then he bolted for Texas.

What about Bobby Petrino? He bolts Atlanta before the season is even over, and takes over at Arkansas?

Good grief, I could name so much more. Tommy Bowden should not be even close to that list.

I spoke my word about Lebron James a day or two ago. With the exception of the press conference, he did not do anything to insult Cleveland, and I don't even think he was intentionally trying to with the press conference. He likes attention, and called for a press conference to get it, it was not about smacking Cleveland Nation around, it was about Lebron. He should not have done that, but I have seen much worse.

The media just keeps getting flat out dumber and dumber. I will even go as far as saying that what Lebron did showed a good side of him. When you watch the end of games in NCAA basketball tournaments, or major football games, you will see a number of the players crying if they lost. They are crying because they wanted to win so bad. When a professional team loses in a championship, super bowl, playoffs, etc....You never see those guys shed a tear about it. That shows that most are in it for the money, and not all of them care about winning a championship. Lebron James is a competitor, and Cleveland is just as much at fault in this. Why could Cleveland not go out and get a couple of good, solid players, who could have helped James out. They brought in a washed up Shaq this year, and that did nothing. Lebron gave them seven freaking years, and they could not bring in just a couple of solid players to take the load off of him?? I admire any professional sports athlete that wants to win a championship really bad, because most act like they just do not care, as long as they have a millions dollars in their bank accounts. And if I heard correctly, Lebron even took a pay cut to go to Miami. That is unheard of in today's pro sports athletes. I do think he is after attention, and loves the hype, but at least he wants to win.

And another thing about the Lebron saga, that I have brought up as well, is why is what he did any worse than Eli Manning refusing to go to the chargers? Eli didn't give the Chargers a single chance, but Lebron put in seven long years, but could not get over the hump because there needed to be some better talent around him. He could not do it all himself.

My gosh Cleveland, at least he gave YOU a chance, but you did not give him one, by not getting the players that could take the load off of him a little. They didn't have to be all stars, and you could have afforded them. Just good solid players, who can knock down shots, and play good fundamental basketball. Why are you whining when you did nothing to help him accomplish what he wants....

My gosh where are these media writers getting their education from these days.

was nick saban on the list?***

Jul 11, 2010, 1:13 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: was nick saban on the list?***

Jul 11, 2010, 3:21 AM

Yes, and I will give them credit for him, and some of the others they put on the list as well.

However, if you had about two hours to think about it, then you could probably come up with 100 more people. I put people on that list who popped into my head in about one minute.

If I was a Kentucky fan I would have Rick Pitino.

South Carolina fans called Brad Scott a traitor in 1999. But there is a big difference with that one, THEY FIRED HIM! You cannot complain about someone who you let go of.

Remember that wide receiver out of Florida named Macintosh, if I spelled it correctly? He was a Clemson commit but changed his mind on signing day and signed with Florida. Now, that would be a traitor. He had Dabo Swinney believing all that time he was coming here. If he thought there was even a possibility of changing his mind, he should have let Dabo know, so Dabo could have a back up plan in case he didn't sign....he was a bust anyway, good enough for him.

When I was a student at Clemson I had a few classes with Jeremy Shyatt, Larry's son. Not longer after I graduated, Larry was fired. After this Jeremy was on Dave Odom's staff at South Carolina as a graduate assistant. Our first year under Purnell they beat us, and I could see Jeremy on the bench acting like they had won the national title, and I am not exaggerating, either. It wasn't Clemson's fault his dad was horrible. We gave him more than what anyone else will ever give him again, and that is the time of day. But Larry always said they loved Clemson soooooo much. Yeah, a true Clemson man going crazy when the Gamecocks are beating us. It's not the graduate assistant job that made me mad, it's how he acted the last time they beat us in basketball. He intentionally rubbed every basket in Clemson's face, because they love Clemson SO much. He should have just kept his emotions in check, instead of being immature because we fired the worst coach that ever stepped foot on our campus.

What other names...Bobby Cremins....took the SCAR job, then changed his mind.

Seth Curry, made a commitment to Liberty, and once big brother has success, it is see ya Liberty, I am going to play elsewhere.

Tom O'Brien, for not only leaving his players, but leaving his players for a lateral move in his own division, and standing around telling his new players to clobber some of the BC players that he recruited, and was welcomed into their parents homes, to assure the BC parents he would take care of their son.

It could go on and on and on, just a ridiculous thing to even put on the internet.

How about some of the things Clemson fans

Jul 11, 2010, 8:23 AM

had to say about Rick Stockstill when he came to Carolina.

He left Clemson for a promotion at ECU. Then his head coach got fired, leaving him hanging. So he gets the WR coach position at USC.

It didn't matter anymore that he had been a coach at Clemson for 14 years, through 4 different coaches going all the way back to Danny Ford.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Our wide receiver coach has accomplished just as much as your legend."

- The man of a million handles.

I am sorry I didn't think of that one

Jul 11, 2010, 2:50 PM

You find any reason you can to start a Clemson vs South Carolina argument.

When I was thinking of names last night, I said if you sat and thought about it a couple of hours, you could come up with 100 people in just a couple of hours.

Personally, I had no bitterness towards Stockstill, but yes, I do remember Clemson fans calling him Rick Cockstill.

I would have probably been upset with him had he been at Clemson, and got a call from South Carolina, and went straight there. I didn't think as much about it since he was not directly leaving Clemson to go to SCAR. I really had no feelings one way or the other about this, but yes, there were some that did.

What were your feelings about Kenny Irons? He made a commitment to play with you guys, but got mad because he was demoted, and went to another SEC school. How did you feel about that one?

I thought the Stockstill thing was more fueled by his

Jul 11, 2010, 3:56 PM [ in reply to How about some of the things Clemson fans ]

advice to a Clemson player (my memory is failing me as to whom?) to go pro early while a coach at SC. Some questioned whether his advice was in the best interest of the player or Stockstill.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 11, 2010, 1:42 PM [ in reply to Re: 25 worst traitors in sports history.. ]

Usually the stuff I read on Bleacher Report appears to have been written by a 16 yr old taking bong hits. This list is decent, but once again there are some glaring omissions of fact. In the case of Robert Horry, the Lakers had just signed Karl Malone, essentially making Robert Horry a backup alongside Samaki Walker, who the Lakers had decided had some sort of potential for some reason. Horry left because San Antonio was going to let him start, and LA essentially didn't want him, because they didn't really even try to counter the offer.

Brett Favre is hated by a lot of people because of the media. He's not a prima donna by any means. He's definitely indecisive, I'll give you that, but it's the media that turns this thing into a circus. Green Bay all but forced him out the door when he decided to come back.

There are probably a few others like that, but I don't see how you can call someone a traitor, when they were basically forced to leave.

I would like to nominate John Heisman for leaving us for

Jul 10, 2010, 11:47 PM

Georgia Tech.

I know it was 107 years ago, but I am not over it yet.

;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oh yea, and Max Lennon too!***

Jul 10, 2010, 11:52 PM

I think Pell the Florida was much worse than Bowden here...***

Jul 10, 2010, 11:55 PM

Charley Pell was a brutal betrayal...

Jul 11, 2010, 2:50 PM

For those that were not alive when Pell left CU for Florida have no Idea how much it hurt......Don't get me wrong, we come out geat with Danny Ford, but at the time we were all in a state of shock, disbelief and anger.....

Pell had brought us out of a dark period and after that magical 10-1 regular season capped not by the Carolina victory, but the ACC game against Maryland that to this date is still one of my top 5 Clemson games of all time.....

Back then, there wasn't a 24-7 news cycle or the internet and it was much easier to sneak around and blind-side a school without anyone known oabout it until too late....which was what Pell did....

As far as Clemson traitors...Pell is numero uno

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

As a Clemson fan, I'd probably agree.....

Jul 11, 2010, 3:02 PM

the only others I might bring up which were under similar circumstances---they'd taken teams who'd been bad and transformed them into competitive entities---were Bill Foster who left for Miami and Rick Barnes who left for Texas

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Charley Pell was a brutal betrayal...

Jul 11, 2010, 3:20 PM [ in reply to Charley Pell was a brutal betrayal... ]

I'll never forget that rainy Monday in early Dec, 1978. Pell was gone the week before supposively out recruiting, but he was actually in Florida. Rumors began about Pell going to FL and Tiger fans were concerned.

Pell returned to Clemson on Sunday and was interviewed on TV that night. I still remember what he said, "That is just a rumor coming out of Florida and it is a lie. In fact, it's a #### lie. I'm not going anywhere." He left for Florida the next day.

The Clemson nation was in shock. When he returned the next week saying he was ready to start practice for the bowl game, he was told to go back to Florida. I might be wrong, but I think that was the first time a departing college coach was not allow to coach a bowl game.

I was around......my father knew Pell pretty well.

Jul 11, 2010, 3:49 PM [ in reply to Charley Pell was a brutal betrayal... ]

And he had no clue he was gone either, although my father admits it didn't really shock him....I think they all knew Pell was in trouble.

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

While it seemed brutal at the time, it was probably a

Jul 11, 2010, 4:00 PM [ in reply to Charley Pell was a brutal betrayal... ]

blessing in disguise. We got Ford and Pell wasn't exactly playing by the rules.

Oliver Purnell should be on there***

Jul 11, 2010, 12:36 AM

and Rick Barnes.***

Jul 11, 2010, 12:42 AM

How about John Elway - # 1 pick in '83 by Baltimore told the

Jul 11, 2010, 4:30 AM

Colts he didn't want to play for them and wanted them to trade him to a west coast team - got Denver instead. Keyshawn Johnson did something similar with the Jets and Eli Manning with the Chargers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How is Patrino not on the list?!?***

Jul 11, 2010, 8:56 AM

Next time, vote Jabba like you're supposed to.

amazed CTB made it

Jul 11, 2010, 9:01 AM

had such a nondescript career I'm surprised anyone knows or cares. Seriously the only reason anyone know his name is because of Bobby

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

here is your explanation

Jul 11, 2010, 10:56 AM

"Asher Brooks Chancey is a baseball writer and co-founder of BaseballEvolution.com.

Asher is a New Orleans native living and working in Philadelphia."

z17

The guy's a New Orleans native. Having TB on that list is

Jul 11, 2010, 11:27 AM

absolutely stupid. Coaches having success at a small-timme school and leveraging it to a bigger program is standard operating procedure. And to act like it didn't work out for Bowden is equally stupid. He had a solid ten year career, made a ton more money than he would have at Tulane and was a much bigger part of the national picture despite what his detractors say. He's out of coaching but counting his money on the beach with zero pressure and could get a job at a "Tulane" level by calling the school and telling them he'll come. Tulane. Geeeez.

null

Tulane's mistake was not hiring Rodriguez when Bowden left

Jul 11, 2010, 1:49 PM

That would have at least given them another year or two of success.

RR was the brains here and there.***

Jul 11, 2010, 2:19 PM

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Jul 11, 2010, 1:58 PM

"That ####### got everything that was coming to him, as he experienced very little success at Clemson and is no longer coaching football."

Whoever wrote this is a moron. "Got everything tha was coming to him" Bowden had a great job for 9 years, almost unheard of in college football. "experianced very little success" Are you kidding? Yeah he failed to take us to the next level, and thats why he is gone, but to say he had little sucess is just wrong. He went to a Bowl game every year (cept 2004) Beat #3 FSU and next year beat #9 Miami, both considers National Champs contindors in those seasons. He took a team form 3-8 to 9-3 in two years. He recruited well and keeped a clean program. He just started to lose it in the final years.

Robert Irsay belongs at the top of this list for

Jul 11, 2010, 2:39 PM

all eternity. Basically, he took the entity that had bound all Baltimoreans (?) together and ripped the heart out of the city--and also every fan of the legendary Baltimore Colts.

Hundreds of thousands of kids and adults who worshipped all the legendary Colt players and coaches were suddenly without a team......and yes the city of Baltimore had been considering an eminent domain claim on the team because of the fear (despite numerous lies to the opposite by Irsay) that indeed the new owner would move their beloved Colts.

Irsay hired a moving company to come in under the cover of darkness and moved nearly everything in the franchise office and skulked out of the city---and didn't even have the decency to change the name of the team or the logo when he relocated to Indiannapolis........

People under the age of 40 probably have no idea what I'm talking about when I describe how the identity of Baltimore was so tied up with the Colts. Or how the team and staff were regular citizens who played in bowling leagues and worked in offseason jobs around the area.....Times have changed and the sort of loyalty I'm referring to no longer exists in sports....just as a point in reference, the Baltimore Colt band stayed together and played together for decades after the move.

To this day, I no longer claim a pro team as my "favorite"---and if I ever do,it certainly would never be the Colts or the Ravens. Bitter?? Yeah some--even to this day....but it is far more tempered by the memories of some of the most talented and colorful folks ever to don an NFL uniform.

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 11, 2010, 2:48 PM

1. Modell, 2. Irsay, 3. Kiffen, 4. Saban, 5. Moss. The rest never lied about or tanked games. Favre, Arod, Jabbar were/are egomanic douchers, but that's just part of sports.

BTW, who the crap cares about what J.D. Drew does or does not?? Thats like saying Marco Scutaro is a traitor for leaving the Blue Jays after a pretty good season for the Red Sox.

Bobby Petrino should gave been in the top 10***

Jul 11, 2010, 2:53 PM

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

Brad Scott?

Jul 11, 2010, 3:13 PM

Most #### lovers are glad to see that slob here.

No babe ruth?

Jul 11, 2010, 3:40 PM

How quickly we forget the past

I'm surprised Dennis Franchiphony wasn't on the list for

Jul 11, 2010, 5:53 PM

for leaving TCU the way he did for Alabama and then even worse for leaving the Tide in the middle of the night for A&M. Good news is TCU came out of it with Gary Patterson and Franchiphony got run out of A&M on a rail.

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic