Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
STRENGTH and CONDITIONING. The biggest issue facing the
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

STRENGTH and CONDITIONING. The biggest issue facing the

Jan 7, 2012, 3:40 PM

Clemson Football Program right now. Simply put, we are FAR behind the times.

We are not as strong, powerful, mentally tough, or aggressive at the point of attack as most of the teams we play. Sometimes we're able to win with pure athleticism and coach-driven enthusiasm, but there are days when you can't count on that. There were times where we got beat up, like we did against GT, NCSU, USC, and WVA. All of those teams took it to us, and we were unable to respond or keep up with the pace. It's been a fairly common theme in losses during the last 3 years.

At a minimum, a solid strength and conditioning program develops all of these things: strength, power, mental toughness and confidence, and raw aggression. Clemson Football is lacking in ALL of these areas.

Sure, we have some fundamental and scheme issues on defense, and if we don't get it fixed we will not move upward. But if we truly want to reach the upper echelon of college football, then STRENGTH AND CONDITIONING MUST MAKE A CHANGE.

If Dabo can't see this, then he will fail as head coach. If he can't see that physicality is what's holding us back, then he will not make it in big boy football. We have some tremendous athletes and Dabo and staff are continuing to build a roster that is capable of beating anyone. But if he doesn't fix our most glaring issue immediately, IN TIME FOR WINTER WORKOUTS, then the bad losses we saw this year will rear their ugly heads all over again next year. If that happens, then he will lose the vast majority of the DESERVED support he has now.

No, I do not expect that we are good enough to win every single game. Sometimes you lose regardless of athletes and strength and conditioning. But when you get physically punched in the mouth like we did 4 times this year (and almost 5), then fixing the problems at the root of those losses is PRIORITY #1.

Three years ago Dabo said he was going to make us tougher. In many ways he has. We are better now then when he took over. We've reached another level.. but obviously there's another level we're striving to achieve. If Dabo wants to succeed at Clemson or anywhere for that matter, then he'd better embrace the fact that Strength and Conditioning has changed dramatically from when he played and when our current S/C staff was hired.

Dabo's shown he's not afraid to make the difficult decisions. If he recognizes an issue, and if it means moving someone out who's been here over 15 years, then he will do it. It's not 1990 anymore. Your Strength and Conditioning staff is as important as any coach on the field. The question is - does he recognize it?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think it's way more mental than S&C.

Jan 7, 2012, 3:48 PM

I thought we looked bigger and tougher than WVU until the fumble.

I disagree. I didn't think we looked as muscular as WVU but

Jan 7, 2012, 4:03 PM

we were keeping up due to good athletes and offensive scheme.

At no point were we capable of getting the WVU offense off the field. The primary reasons we couldn't stop them were because of scheme and fundamentals, but perhaps more importantly we got pushed around and couldn't get off blocks. We couldn't pressure the QB, we couldn't clog the middle, and we couldn't seal the edge. WVU was stronger than us, and once the snowball got rolling and our enthusiasm dwindled, then it turned horrendous.

A good, modern strength and conditioning program goes a long way towards developing an aggressive mentality and confidence. Soft bodies breed soft minds. If you get punched in the mouth and you're unable to physically respond, then enthusiasm only goes so far.

...For what it's worth, our mental state didn't dissolve after the fumble. It dissolved after 2 more turnovers, 3 more TDs (for reason stated above), and a 29 point halftime deficit.

I thought we looked bigger than WVU...

Jan 7, 2012, 4:11 PM

and we were pushing their defense around just as much early. Things didn't change until that fumble return which points me to a mental problem than physical.

I also think our problem on defense is one of personnel than coaching, but that's not to say coaching hasn't been a problem this year. I just think the vast majority of our problems this year defensively is due to mental lapses and lack of developed talent. I think the talent will continue to develop and our defense will be better in the future. Whether or not Steele is still the coach then, I have no idea.

This idea that it's the S&C is a bit of "see what I want to see." Take for instance over on tigerillustrated, they continuously post pictures of olinemen and think that proves their point one way or another. That's ridiculous and any adult person understands that.

Are there things that could be done better in the S&C dept? Sure. Is it the reason we lost to WVU? I seriously doubt it.

Man, I wish I didn't see what I see. It's not a matter of

Jan 7, 2012, 4:34 PM

seeing what I want to see. Not in the least bit.

I say there's over a decade of seeing teams being able to out-physical us. When we can't outscheme, out-athlete, or out-enthusiasm other teams, then we typically get beat up and lose.

I think defense lacks fundamentals and has for years. Regardless, I think blocking and getting off blocks has been an obvious problem for years.

I think the naked eye can see most teams are physically in a different kind of shape than us. That's what prompts guys at TI and TCI etc to point it out. It's not folks imaginations running away from them. You CAN see it.

I think you can see that almost everyone from Wofford (yes, even Wofford!) to Wake, from NCSU to USC to WVU,,they all had the builds. Bigger arms and bigger lower bodies. More drive. More aggression. Luckily we were able to beat a couple of those guys because we had superior talent and/or God-given size. Good thing.

I agree with the growing masses that thinks it's obvious.

I don't there is anything at all ridiculous about what can be seen with the naked eye. It's weird how one can not physically see it. Do you watch the any games from the best teams in America? Can you not see they're physically imposing? Really?? If you can't readily see it, then I suppose it cannot be explained.

Just as an example - USC hired a guys named Craig Fitzgerald a few years back. He is known to exercise the latest techniques and methods. Since his hire, their entire team took on VISIBLY bigger sizes and lower bodies... They've punched is in the face and beat us solely on physicality ever since. USC has improved as a team since his hire. Why do you think Spurrier made a change? Because he understands the importance of this area in today's game. It takes more than scheme and you can't win on speed and athleticism anymore.

We've also been owned by USC in baseball/basketball

Jan 7, 2012, 11:43 PM

does that mean our S&C in those sports is the reason? I don't. I think it has to do with personnel which is recruiting.

Which is why I think a change in defensive scheme and/or S&C

Jan 7, 2012, 4:11 PM [ in reply to I disagree. I didn't think we looked as muscular as WVU but ]

could make it look like our youth are better than Branch/Thompson/Moore.

As good as they were supposed to be, I just never saw enough to impress me. I KNOW Thompson is good, but even he didn't have nearly enough big plays. I KNOW Branch is good, but VT was his main team against which he showed out. It that was a great DL, then we are in trouble.

So, that means, then:

1. There was a problem we can't blame on the DL; and
2. If we fix that problem, we have a great future, even if we play "youth."

Tajh ad other players guts

Jan 7, 2012, 5:07 PM [ in reply to I think it's way more mental than S&C. ]

hanging over their belts is't the size advantage we need. Players gaining weight DURING the season is hard to explain - except poor S&C

Re: You have noticed it too?***

Jan 7, 2012, 5:23 PM

Re: STRENGTH and CONDITIONING. The biggest issue facing the

Jan 7, 2012, 4:49 PM

BINGO!!!

Batson is one of the most respected guys in the industry

Jan 7, 2012, 8:58 PM

I think there is a difference between tough and strong. We have poor tackling-that is not strength and conditioning. We have guys not getting in the right coverages and that is not conditioning. We have mental issues on defense and players playing for themselves and not team that is not conditioning. Most of our secondary are guys under 6 ft tall that is recruiting not conditioning.

Re: Batson is one of the most respected guys in the industry

Jan 7, 2012, 9:01 PM

and you would say that Kevin Steele is one of the most respected defensive coordinators in the country. Accept the fact that Batson is a major problem and he has to go.

Exactly.***

Jan 7, 2012, 10:16 PM

BS.

Jan 7, 2012, 10:16 PM [ in reply to Batson is one of the most respected guys in the industry ]

We most often get pushed around on the LOS, even by teams like Troy and Wofford, and we have for years. We can't get off blocks and we get knocked backward when we actually try to make a form tackle. If we can't outscheme or out skill people, we lose. Our Strength and Conditioning program is bad. It's behind the times, and unless we get stronger and more up to speed with today's methods, we're going to fail.

s&c is a HUGE part of our problem. Needs to be fixed asap***

Jan 7, 2012, 10:21 PM

I think it's obvious. If we don't address it, then we're

Jan 7, 2012, 10:29 PM

going to lose some games next year in the very same fashion we lost to GT, NCSU, USC, and WVU, and almost Wake. Those teams brought the physical game at us. We weren't on our A-game scheme-wise or skill wise, and we ended up getting pushed around. As a Clemson man, THAT'S EMBARRASSING. We need to be more physical, and if we don't address this CLEAR problem and get beat up in losses next year similar to the losses we had this year, then it will be time to start looking at the top. Dabo needs to recognize it and fix it. NOW.

Coty Sensabaugh and Bashaud Breeland are over 6 feet***

Jan 7, 2012, 11:55 PM [ in reply to Batson is one of the most respected guys in the industry ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why hasn't anyone ever tried to hire him away. He is just

Jan 8, 2012, 12:10 AM [ in reply to Batson is one of the most respected guys in the industry ]

molting here. And to be honest, we don't even pass the eye test. Look around.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic