Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I'm such an idiot.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1072

I'm such an idiot.

Sep 24, 2009, 2:19 PM

For over 20 years, I've assumed the object was simply to win the game. I thought it didn't matter if you won 2-0 or 100-99 or by any score in between. All that mattered was that at the end of the day, you had more points than the other team.

Only now, as I ease into the later half of my 20s am I learning that what really matters is how you score and whether you score by special teams, defense, field goal or TD.

I'd like to thank Tigernet for edumacating me. Someone better tell the Redskins they didn't actually win on Sunday since they didn't even score 1 TD against the Rams. Oh, and you better tell the Titans they have no hope since they gave up so many yards to Houston.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Keep chasing those windmills, Steve!

Dude give it up

Sep 24, 2009, 2:21 PM

We get it...We get it....we are all dumb...you are smart.

No, no, no.

Sep 24, 2009, 2:23 PM

I am the dumb one. People like you are clearly much smarter for understanding that it doesn't matter if you win or lose, only how stylish you are in doing so.

stylish sounds cootish to me***

Sep 24, 2009, 2:28 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hear you... but are you not concerned at all

Sep 24, 2009, 3:12 PM [ in reply to No, no, no. ]

about teh lack of short yardage success? 3rd down conversions, red zone offense?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Our wide receiver coach has accomplished just as much as your legend."

- The man of a million handles.

Yup. Definitely room for improvement and we'll need

Sep 24, 2009, 5:18 PM

to do better or we'll be in trouble in a few games this season.

It's just frustrating to watch a game where:
1) The defense holds the opposition to negative yards in the whole first half, and 54 yards total.
2) Our field goal kicker goes 6-6, including a 53 yarder.
3) Our star runs back his first punt for a TD.
all against an opponent that usually beats us, and then to come on to TNET and see NOTHING but negativity.

We're not perfect. No teams are. But for goodness sake, if you can't enjoy a 25-7 drubbing of BC, you need to find a new hobby (not you, of course, Toogie. You do not have to enjoy said drubbing).

null

I'm glad you realize what we have known :^()***

Sep 24, 2009, 2:23 PM

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

So if we beat had beaten MTSU 6-3 in the first game

Sep 24, 2009, 2:26 PM

and MTSU missed four field goals, you would have said "Gee I am so glad we won, I feel good about the rest of the season?

Sandy....hes just trolling

Sep 24, 2009, 2:30 PM

don't worry about it

And if we played Florida in the first game and beat them

Sep 24, 2009, 2:30 PM [ in reply to So if we beat had beaten MTSU 6-3 in the first game ]

100-99 because they missed a FG, would the same people be saying we suck and will never win another game?

I don't care how we win. I just want to win. The thing people ignore or forget is that each game is an independant entity. What happens in one game (other than injuries) has absolutely ZERO impact on what happens in future games. Match-ups are different, weather is different, the attitude of the team is different. Just because you beat team A has absolutely no bearing on whether or not you will beat Team B later in the season. Nor does the fact that we beat Team A and they beat Team B mean that we would win or lose against Team B.

But Florida is #1 in the country, BC is far from #1

Sep 24, 2009, 2:35 PM

But the crux of the argument for being worried that we aren't scoring enough points is because we lost countless games under Bowden by not scoring in the red zone and instead kicking a field goal (and it has already happened this season)

Its one thing to say, "I wish we scored more TDs"

Sep 24, 2009, 2:37 PM

Its another thing to say that we will lose X game in the future because of something that happened against BC. That is the part that is absurd.

We are averaging 30 points a game. If we keep scoring 30 every game- regardless if it comes via defense, special teams, FGs or TDs we are going to win the vast majority of the time.

And what happened against GT or BC or 5 years ago has absolutely ZERO impact on the game this Sat, next Sat or the Sat after that.

So we have red zone issues every year, we lose close

Sep 24, 2009, 2:43 PM

games because of them, and then this year we do the same and we shouldn't be concerned? I feel like the old adage of "those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it" applies here.

If we can continue to score 30 points by kicking field goals and returning punts and kickoffs to the house I am fine, but do think there is a strong statisitical chance of us continuing to do so? Do you think we can really continue to put up 30 with a 12.5% TD red zone ratio?

First of all, we don't have red zone issues every year.

Sep 24, 2009, 2:45 PM

Some years in the past, we were very solid in the red zone and had defensive issues and that was why we lost close games. Other years, we've had red zone issues. Its revisionist history to say otherwise.

Second, my point is, it doesn't matter how you score the points. Whether is special teams or a long run or a long pass or a FG, it all counts on the scoreboard and as long as we keep scoring 30 a game, we'll keep winning.

It's also statistically unlikely for us to continue at 1-9

Sep 24, 2009, 2:50 PM [ in reply to So we have red zone issues every year, we lose close ]

in the red zone and have no rushing TDs. Things will change, we're only dealing with a three game sample size with a new QB.

Good point. In fact, given who we have returning kicks

Sep 24, 2009, 2:53 PM

and their history, I would say its probably even more statistically unlikely that we would continue at the same rate of red zone success than we continue to score on special teams.

Good point...***

Sep 24, 2009, 3:08 PM [ in reply to It's also statistically unlikely for us to continue at 1-9 ]

You sir have just brought up the main point

Sep 24, 2009, 2:30 PM [ in reply to So if we beat had beaten MTSU 6-3 in the first game ]

Sure I'm glad we are winning games.... But.... If our offense does not improve and soon, we may not be able to win more games. That is the concern, not because we only won by a certain amount, but because if the offense continues to make field goals a habbit it could be a big problem

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket
Just livin the college dream 2007-2011!

Hmm, I feel like this is what I was trying to say, but you

Sep 24, 2009, 2:44 PM

said it much better...point

I wouldn't have a problem with that if we win the next one

Sep 24, 2009, 2:36 PM [ in reply to So if we beat had beaten MTSU 6-3 in the first game ]

and the next one and the next one like that. I don't care to see us beat MTSU by 45 and lose to Wake by 3 or to Duke on a last sec FG.

Agree completely......the only time it matters how you score

Sep 24, 2009, 2:48 PM

is when you're really "scoring"....then style points do count!!! :)

Why do coaches still get pissed during a win?

Sep 24, 2009, 3:18 PM

They know something. What is it? Unless the season is over, playing like #### and still winning is not good because we may not be so lucky the next time.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

thanks for the admission***

Sep 24, 2009, 3:24 PM

Tennessee lost... bad example

Sep 24, 2009, 3:24 PM

Also... I live in DC and have to be surrounded by it whether I like it or not- The Redskins might as well just give up on ever having more than 8 wins with the Snyder/Zorn/Jason Campbell combo... pitiful.

Bottom line, IF we're anything like a Tennessee Titan team that plays down to Houston's level enough to lose or the lowly Redskins (perennially mediocre for the last 15 years), we will soon lose just like both of them will soon lose during this year's NFL season.

But yeah, you are an idiot.

give it a few years, you'll take it any way you can get it***

Sep 24, 2009, 5:08 PM

Replies: 24
| visibility 1072
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic