Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Napier: "I call the plays."
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 53
| visibility 1

Nov 16, 2010, 8:48 PM

Offensive coordinator Billy Napier said he is surprised by all of the questions about who calls the offensive plays. He also said he wanted to make it clear that he calls the plays. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Then time for Dabo to call an audible on the OC.***

Nov 16, 2010, 8:55 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why am I confused?

Nov 16, 2010, 9:10 PM

"Dwayne Allen is a guy who is a great red-zone weapon, and we’ll continue to use him.”

Except, coach, you haven't. His one TD was outside the red zone.

Who knew Billy Napier even knew what the redzone was

Nov 16, 2010, 9:15 PM

we sure as heck don't score when we get there.

In all fairness

Nov 17, 2010, 7:29 AM [ in reply to Why am I confused? ]

Allen was our only pass catching threat to begin with, so the D's would try and take him away from the plays. Using him to open someone else is always an option. And to fairly access this, you have to know how many pass plays were called that he was the first read, if he was covered KP may have went to the next check down. As these other guys continue to come on, he'll get more thrown his way, since the D's have to watch more guys who can now catch the ball; but I forgot, we shouldn't throw in the red-zone anyway. That's what's confusing.

i wish they'd accept that it was spiller/ford lighting up

Nov 17, 2010, 8:02 AM

the scoreboard, not the play calling. if you need all-time talent to score with your play calls, then you're not calling a good game.

If this is true....

Nov 16, 2010, 9:23 PM

and he is calling all the plays, HE MUST GO....no question anymore...whoever is calling this mess MUST GO and do it NOW!

Here's my take on Napier's comments

Nov 16, 2010, 9:26 PM

"We’ll continue to do it the way we have been doing it.” That right there makes a lot of sense. Hey if it doesn't work then don't fix it.

I also didn't realize we were behind so much against UNC or Boston College, but we sure as h*&! passed the ball a bunch.

So the fade passes were just a case in which Napier was trying to get "his" playmakers the ball. I guess he forgot about Harper.

remember this is the group that didn't know how to use

Nov 16, 2010, 9:29 PM

davis and cj together

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was Bowden. Dabo knew how to use Spiller. See last year***

Nov 16, 2010, 11:07 PM

Only because he didn't have Davis anymore...

Nov 17, 2010, 7:49 AM

who's to say after the AE/Harper situation early this year that they wouldn't have messed that up the same way Bowden/Spence did?

And you know if JD were here he would have done same as TB..

Nov 17, 2010, 10:27 AM

how? HE'S NOT HERE! We don't know anything.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Didn't have Davis, but had Ford. I'm sure if Davis were

Nov 17, 2010, 2:55 PM [ in reply to Only because he didn't have Davis anymore... ]

still around, Dabo and Co would have used him. One thing you have to give them credit for is they used every playmaker on the team last year. Maybe some of the players need to step it up as well.

somebody's lying***

Nov 16, 2010, 9:29 PM

seriously, pheebo? you can think someone is

Nov 18, 2010, 5:41 AM

A bad coach without calling them a bad person. I dont understand why people frustrated about a game have to impune a coach's character.
That is over the top.

Re: Napier: "I call the plays."

Nov 16, 2010, 9:44 PM

Then you Suck!! Sorry Dabo you only suck as a Head coach not a play caller!!

Nov 16, 2010, 9:57 PM

Gotta respect the guy for taking ownership...whether he calls the plays or not. He's admitting to his f*&^ up. So hang him for it if you want. Maybe we don't have the playmakers that he thinks we have. We don't have the same playmakers as last year. He did a pretty good job of utilizing his playmakers last year though. So, honestly...call me what you want, but I haven't given up on Dabo, Steele, or Napier. They did get us to the ACC Championship last year. Something Bowden couldn't do for how many years? He needs a little time. If it's still the same story next year and the year after then he must go.

Message was edited by: deanteb®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Point!! At least he's owned up. Now we're getting somewhere!***

Nov 16, 2010, 10:10 PM

glad you confirmed what we all thought

Nov 16, 2010, 10:07 PM

you aren't qualified. You're inept as an OC and Dabo is inept for saying he's agrees with your calls.

Step aside and let Clemson fans get experienced coaches for all the $$$ being paid out!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Wrong.

Nov 16, 2010, 11:11 PM

Dabo isn't "inept" for publicly supporting anyone on the team.

And Dabo ain't going anywhere. He obviously deserves more time. Anyone with an IQ larger than their belt size can see that.

Re: Wrong.

Nov 16, 2010, 11:19 PM

agreed...Dabo deserves more time.

Nov 16, 2010, 10:14 PM

Here is a play you can call.Call Furman.I understand they will be looking for a new HC next year.

Nov 16, 2010, 11:03 PM

Point - you are correct, that would be the best call of his career - he's a rookie and Clemson needs a proven playcaller...Most obvious statement I've ever made.

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

aka "I am the scape goat."***

Nov 16, 2010, 10:32 PM

I think he all but admitted Dabo meddles - read the 3rd

Nov 16, 2010, 10:34 PM

paragraph...Especially the last sentence...MOST HEAD COACHES HAVE INPUT WITHIN EACH PLAY OR WITHIN EACH SERIES...
Seems pretty clear to me they are both calling the plays which explains why we have NO OFFENSIVE IDENTITY...Seems clear to me he contradicted himself and pretty well admitted he and Dabo both call the plays...What we all have figured all alone...Something HAS to change...

“It’s like any program in America in terms of the input of the head coach, maybe things he’s seen within the game and things he’s looked over,” Napier said. “He’s looked over the plan and knows our plan. But I call the plays. And I don’t think it’s any different than maybe it is at any school. You can ask anybody. Most head coaches have input within each play or within each series, however they do it.

Re: I think he all but admitted Dabo meddles - read the 3rd

Nov 16, 2010, 10:39 PM

I'm good enough and smart enough, and dog gone it people like me.

Nov 16, 2010, 11:28 PM [ in reply to I think he all but admitted Dabo meddles - read the 3rd ]

I think you hit on it...And to be honest, I don't think either one of them knows what the hel1 they're doing...Where's Chuck Reedy when ya need him?!?!?!

Nov 17, 2010, 12:06 AM [ in reply to I think he all but admitted Dabo meddles - read the 3rd ]

think the key phrase is "within the game"

Just because you "think" and "want" that to be true....

Nov 17, 2010, 10:31 AM [ in reply to I think he all but admitted Dabo meddles - read the 3rd ]

Doesn't make it true. So, now they are not just bad coaches, they are liars as well.

PLEASE go pull for a different school. You guys are embarrasing.

Nov 17, 2010, 6:44 PM [ in reply to I think he all but admitted Dabo meddles - read the 3rd ]

Correct!!!
He is dabos stooge.
If he rats dabo out no other head coach would every hire him.
Napier can not afford to tell the truth.

then it's official Napier is the reason behind our horrible

Nov 17, 2010, 12:07 AM

offense and if Dabo doesn't get rid of him after this season then he is just as much to blame as napier for a bad offense.

We need a consistent kicker

Nov 17, 2010, 12:17 AM

We could have won a few more games with a decent consistent kicker...the past few games we have moved the ball well getting into the redzone and with 2 or 3 fgs we could have won more games...thats the real issue that needs to be addressed find us a kicker. Theres no reason for not having a halfway decent kicker at a program like Clemson.

ps Give boyd more playing time get him some more experience
for next year just my .02

We need consistently score TDs and

Nov 17, 2010, 8:24 AM

stop relying on an inconsistent freshman kicker.

Re: We need a consistent kicker

Nov 17, 2010, 2:02 PM [ in reply to We need a consistent kicker ]

Thats the whole deal. If we had made at least 5 of the field goals that have been missed , what would our record be , and would we be having this discussion ?

Napier could have worded this a little better...

Nov 17, 2010, 1:08 AM

Here's what I think he should have said...

"...But I call the plays, and it’s no different than it was last year when CJ SPILLER was lighting the scoreboard up..."

"I call the plays.. except when Dabo calls the plays." What?

Nov 17, 2010, 1:35 AM

Thanks to David Hood for posting this article and to whichever reporter asked Napier about the division of play-calling at 10:07 in the first video. The headline got me excited to finally get an answer about how much Dabo is meddling in the play-calling. But after hearing Napier's answer, I have no idea how much Dabo is meddling.

Napier's answer is basically, that Napier calls the plays but that Dabo has input on each play and each series just like any head coach in America. Does that mean that Dabo is overriding his play calls or not, and if so, roughly what percentage of the time? There's head coaching input like, "Joe Cornerback seems to be limping so you might want to look for a mismatch there." And there's input like, "No, I don't want to run your play, so we're going to run my play." Which is it and what percentage of the time is Dabo overriding Napier?

In the FSU post-game interview somebody asked Napier whether he called the intercepted end-zone fade or Swinney did, and he evasively responded that we did.

Napier said that the division of play-calling is no different than last season. But there were two different parts to last season; the part where the play-calling stunk through the UMD loss (at which point reportedly Dabo & Napier had an argument about Dabo meddling too much in the play-calling) and the part of the season thereafter where the play-calling was mostly decent.

This is just so frustrating. If you check out the following links, you'll see that Auburn has roughly the same level of talent on the field, but they have one of the top OCs in the country, and a head coach, who I'd be willng to bet, doesn't provide much "input" on the play-calling of his excellent, seasoned OC. I wonder if that has anything to do with Auburn being undefeated with the 5th ranked scoring offense (in the tougher SEC) while Clemson is 5-5 with the 82nd ranked scoring offense (in the weaker ACC)? How are our coaches turning Top 25 recruiting classes into 82nd ranked offenses? (But a seasoned guy like Steele has turned those Top 25 recruiting classes into the 9th ranked scoring defense.)

Honestly, I feel bad for Napier. He seems like a nice guy who is trying hard, but is just performing poorly either because he's either in over his head or he's covering for Dabo. But I feel worse for the players. It's just not fair to them to have this kind of coaching hurt their college experience and their careers. This is just not a well-coached team.

Re: "I call the plays.. except when Dabo calls the plays." What?

Nov 17, 2010, 10:18 AM

After reading the article, I believe that Dabo is overriding Napier on a high percentage of the plays (or a higher percentage than he should, I should say). Who has been calling the reverses that work almost never (in general... not just for the Tigers)? There haven't been that many called, but they sure seem to be drive killers. From what I've gathered, Napier likes to run the ball up the gut. I've also gathered that Swinney is more of a spread guy. Which guy would call a fade or a reverse, especially after hard nosed running is what got you down the field in the first place? I hope Napier understands that he's green and wouldn't go completely against what's been working. It just seems like a complete mental lapse. I could be completely wrong, but my honest opinion is that Dabo is screwing the pooch.

Quoting Razz: "Napier said that the division of play-calling is no different than last season. But there were two different parts to last season; the part where the play-calling stunk through the UMD loss (at which point reportedly Dabo & Napier had an argument about Dabo meddling too much in the play-calling) and the part of the season thereafter where the play-calling was mostly decent."

I just think we haven't had the 2nd part of this season yet (and it's too late now). You would think last year would have taught the guys something.

Yea, Cam Newton has nothing to do with AU being as good

Nov 17, 2010, 3:04 PM [ in reply to "I call the plays.. except when Dabo calls the plays." What? ]

as they are. Sorry, but Napier would look pretty darn good with a guy like Cam. So would any other decent OC. Granted Gus Malzahn is better than decent so maybe he knows how to use Cam better than most, but I would be willing to bet Cam dressed in Orange here in Clemson would have this team scoring lots of points. Add our D...wow. Oh well...dreams.

Think Auburn would be 11-0 with Dabo & Napier as HC & OC?***

Nov 17, 2010, 10:45 PM

2009: Clemson ranked 74th in total offense. 2010: 89th.

Nov 17, 2010, 1:59 AM

I disagree with Napier's repeated claims that everything was peachy on offense last year and so nobody complained.

Clemson (with CJ Spiller & Jacoby Ford, mind you) ranked 74th in the nation in total offense (playing in the weak ACC).

Clemson's offense mustered 10-points in a loss to TCU, 16-points in a loss to an awful UMD team (whose only FBS victory was over Clemson), and 10-points in a drubbing by the Gamecocks. (CJ had TD kick-returns in the UMD & USC games.)

When you have Top 25 recruiting classes and the 74th ranked offense (playing in the weak ACC), you've got a problem with coaching, game-planning, and play-calling.

This post deserves a new thread***

Nov 17, 2010, 6:08 AM

Ah, truth. Always refreshing.***

Nov 17, 2010, 7:07 AM [ in reply to 2009: Clemson ranked 74th in total offense. 2010: 89th. ]

2009 scores helped by CJ+Ford kick returns/field position.***

Nov 17, 2010, 11:34 AM [ in reply to 2009: Clemson ranked 74th in total offense. 2010: 89th. ]

Can't argue with you on that.....def true.***

Nov 17, 2010, 3:06 PM

Nov 17, 2010, 6:56 AM

This may have come from Plyler's insinuation that Napier does no wrong and that Dabo calls plays that don't work. I respect Napier for taking the responsibility, even though I agree it has been horrible.

Bad Economy

Nov 17, 2010, 7:00 AM

"We’re in the business of scoring points, and we’ve got to score points. When we don’t do that, there are going to be questions.”

Hey in this economy, we should be happy we have points

Honor With Dignity

Well call the plays somewhere else***

Nov 17, 2010, 7:47 AM

Why keep referring to last season when its "this" season?

Nov 17, 2010, 9:26 AM

Please stop Napier ... and focus!

Napier: "I See Dead People"***

Nov 17, 2010, 10:12 AM

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

Nov 17, 2010, 7:05 PM

Let's be realistic...Napier isn't the problem. Yes we've struggled on offense and in the red zone but we should have won 3 or 4 games if not for FGs. Look at our losses...
-Auburn we had that game won but we missed an open receiver in the end zone and missed a field goal to tie
-UNC a let down after the Auburn loss, missed field goal to cut the lead to one instead of 4, forcing us to score a touchdown to win
-BC missed field goal...yes poor offensive performance
-FSU, excellent game against an excellent defense, missed field goals cost us the game.

Overall we should have won at least 3 of these games if not for missed field goals. Napier has us in games ready to win if we just could kick the freaken ball!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Should it always come down to fieldgoals?***

Nov 18, 2010, 5:05 AM

Oh ya we forgot how to score touchdowns***

Nov 18, 2010, 6:00 AM

It is not working!***

Nov 17, 2010, 8:02 PM

Like he's proud of it

Nov 18, 2010, 12:05 AM

What an effing loser, please God, let him "decide to leave" or let some team like PC or Furman offer him a position. That's the only way we will be rid of him, since Barney wouldn't dare offend.

Replies: 53
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic