Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bowers talks about sack record and his thoughts on returning for a senior season
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Bowers talks about sack record and his thoughts on returning for a senior season

Oct 26, 2010, 6:17 PM

Defensive end Da'Quan Bowers already has 10 sacks this season, and could close in on the school record of 16 in the next few weeks. He talked with TigerNet about the record, and his future plans, on Tuesday. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just like CJ Spiller and the late Gaines Adams..

Oct 26, 2010, 6:56 PM

I expect Da'Quan to come back just like the shining examples before him.

Re: Just like CJ Spiller and the late Gaines Adams..

Oct 26, 2010, 7:40 PM

The difference between the former stars coming back and Bowers is that he is projected a lot higher than any of them. Gaines was predicted as a 2nd round pick, Spiller an early 2nd round pick, Davis a 3rd round pick (I think), so there was room for them to improve and increase their draft position. If he is projected as a top 10 pick there is a lot more chance for him to drop than to move up.

Re: Just like CJ Spiller and the late Gaines Adams..

Oct 26, 2010, 8:51 PM

That's a good point about DaQuan's projection compared to CJ after his junior year, and it could play a big role in him leaving. If he does leave who could blame him? He's clearly the best DLineman in the country right now (with the most upside too).

It'd be awesome if he stayed and I think everyone would be ecstatic if he did. I'd love to see him stay. We'd really be a force next year especially if he came back. I hope he does what's best for him though. Everything he's gone through in the offseason, and then to come back and play and mature like this says so much about him. So proud of him and the fact that he's a Tiger.

He's very good... easily one of the best in the country...

Oct 26, 2010, 9:09 PM

But I don't know if he's definitely the best. He has the most sacks (with a couple guys right behind him with 9.5 and 9 sacks respectively.

Vinnie Curry at Marshall has 8.5 sacks, and is the only defensive linemen in the country that ranks in the top 100 defensive players in total tackles (31st)... he has twice as many as Bowers.

Bowers is awesome. But a few other guys (including Vinnie Curry) might stake a claim to best lineman in the nation.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Our wide receiver coach has accomplished just as much as your legend."

- The man of a million handles.

I understand your spin, but I am certain if it were a SC

Oct 26, 2010, 9:16 PM

player you'd spin it the other way. SEC, et al.

He may not be the "best" in the country, but guess what? He's definitely ONE OF THE BEST and I'll take that. He's only going to get better too. Hopefully we'll get to see him another full year.

Not true... Houston at Georgia has 9 sacks and has

Oct 26, 2010, 9:22 PM

nearly identical total tackle numbers to Bowers.

But I think Bowers is significantly better than Houston. I don't really know anything about Curry at Marshall. He certainly doesn't play the competition that Bowers plays... most likely. But a lineman that ranks 31st in total tackles with 66, and being the only lineman ranked in the top 100 defenders in tackles is pretty eye-popping statistically.

But you know what they say about statistics.

Re: Not true... Houston at Georgia has 9 sacks and has

Oct 26, 2010, 9:40 PM

I agree, Curry is apparently one of the top DL's in the country...esp statistics wise. I don't know much about Marshall and have seen maybe one game this year (or part of a game). I wonder what type of D they run and different schemes they put in. He's gotta be pretty quick to get in on that many tackles. I think Bowers losing weight and really working harder has helped him become faster, therefore able to make more plays. I think he came in thinking it was going to come easy for him and he finally realized if he worked a little harder, he could become a lot better. This happens a lot with highly touted recruits. Touted?? Not sure if I spelled that correctly or what...doesn't look right, but oh well...I'm tired!

The thing about Bowers is that not only does he lead

Oct 26, 2010, 9:42 PM

the nation in sacks... but they are all solo sacks.

That screams speed to me.

Re: The thing about Bowers is that not only does he lead

Oct 26, 2010, 9:44 PM

dont forget the 17.5 tfl. that is tackles for loss for you coots. something garcia knows very well

Re: The thing about Bowers is that not only does he lead

Oct 26, 2010, 9:46 PM [ in reply to The thing about Bowers is that not only does he lead ]

He looks a lot faster this year for sure. I think he's a bit stronger as well. Seems like a good kid too.

Oh, and when I mentioned some of the highly touted kids come in thinking things would be easy, I meant it happens more than many think. Most of the time they come in as good as people say they will be, but certain positions are different, and these athletes have to work harder than they realize.

What happend to Cliff Mathews?

Oct 27, 2010, 9:39 AM [ in reply to He's very good... easily one of the best in the country... ]

I bet he wishes he would of jumped pro early. Either that or he wishes he wouldn't of put on the extra 20 pounds.

NFL may be the biggest reason to stay

Oct 27, 2010, 9:53 AM

I feel like the only chance he comes back is the NFL lock out situation. He looks like a top 10 pick right now but if something does not change soon in the NFL he may not play next year if he leaves.

null

You think it's an accident that Travian Robertson and

Oct 28, 2010, 7:50 PM [ in reply to What happend to Cliff Mathews? ]

Devin Taylor are playing lights out?

In my opnion they can thank Cliff matthews for that.

The one caveat is Adams did it in 3 yrs. as he left early

Oct 27, 2010, 4:17 PM [ in reply to Re: Just like CJ Spiller and the late Gaines Adams.. ]

At 5'9 wasn't going to get any taller or improve his draft status.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever his choice..... God's speed Mr. Bower's,

Oct 26, 2010, 9:07 PM

whatever your choice, I wish you the very best.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Adios and vaya con Dios

Oct 26, 2010, 9:47 PM

Yeah I'm leaving SC
And if it weren't for death valley and pretty senoritas
I'd have no reason to stay
Adios and vaya con dios
Yeah I'm leaving SC
Gonna lay in the hot sun and get paid to sack QBs
And grab my guitar and play

Thanks for the 3 years, Mr. Bowers.

nice, i would expect him to come back***

Oct 27, 2010, 9:13 AM

I hope he goes to the NFL. He's a tremendous player

Oct 27, 2010, 10:17 AM

and he deserves to get paid. If he's going to go in the top 15, it would be irresponsible and unwise to not go pro.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

irresponsible?

Oct 27, 2010, 1:03 PM

“you keep saying that word, but I don't think it means what you think it means…”

unwise? perhaps - depending on what's important to him; he can never come back to college football if he goes. i'll let him make that decision.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe he can come back for baseball!***

Oct 27, 2010, 10:31 AM

How does the potential lockout change things?

Oct 27, 2010, 2:47 PM

From all indications it sounds like the draft will happen even if there is a lockout. Can they be signed with no CBA? Rookie wage scale is one of the issues. If that isn't settled before the draft would he be the last group with no rookie wage scale or the first group with one?

Seems like a tough year to have to decide to leave early. There are a lot more factors than just your potential pick.

He's halfway there, already. It's his record to break.

Oct 27, 2010, 4:08 PM

He has 14 through his career so far. One in 2008, three in 2009, and 10 this season. If he only gets two or three more for the remainder of this season, he can break the record next season even with a statistically worse year.

2010_donor_pickem.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic