Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Two late drives critical for defense in loss to UNC
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Oct 9, 2010, 9:52 PM

The Clemson defense held the North Carolina offense in check for much of Saturday afternoon, but two late drives - one for a touchdown and one that bled precious time off the clock - doomed the Tigers in Chapel Hill. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

From the "i gave up a million dollars for what?" files_

Oct 9, 2010, 10:15 PM

I wish that KP had left for Colorado. Then we would have a reason for ###### play. Not that it is his fault.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you mean 5 Million dollars***

Oct 10, 2010, 1:10 AM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Two late drives critical for defense in loss to UNC

Oct 9, 2010, 10:15 PM

The numbers don't ever tell the story with Steele. But I disagree with Steele on that. The numbers told the truth of the story. Butch Davis went on 4th down 4 times on a Steele coached defence. And made First downs on all 4 times. The numbers told the story. And if Steele doesn't stop closing his ears to those stories. Offences are going to continue eating our lunch on Third and Fourth downs....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hard to stop someone on 4th down when your DB is

Oct 10, 2010, 9:40 AM

seven yards off his man.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm starting to miss Koenning. His Illinois D, crushed PSU.***

Oct 10, 2010, 1:09 AM

Surely you're being sarcastic...PSU's O stinks***

Oct 10, 2010, 9:36 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Koenning's reults clearly better than Steele's.

Oct 10, 2010, 3:01 PM

I'm not a huge Koenning fan since his Clemson defenses often couldn't get off the field on 3rd down. Bbut his results at Clemson were at least better than Steele's. And his results at lowly Illinois are better than Steele's results at Clemson.

Steele.. 2010: Total D: #62. Scoring D: #47.
Steele.. 2009: Total D: #20. Scoring D: #25.
Koenning 2008: Total D: #18. Scoring D: #13.
Koenning 2007: Total D: #9.. Scoring D: #10.
Koenning 2006: Total D: #13. Scoring D: #16.
Koenning 2005: Total D: #20. Scoring D: #11.

Koenning 2010: Total D: #20. Scoring D: #21.
Koenning is already doing better at doormat Illinois-- having played Missouri, Ohio State, Penn State, & NIU!

Links to the NCAA stats are below.

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2010&rpt=IA_teamscordef&site=org&div=IA&dest=O

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2009&div=IA&site=org

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2008&div=IA&site=org

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2007&div=IA&site=org

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2006&div=IA&site=org

http://web1.ncaa.org/mfb/natlRank.jsp?year=2005&div=IA&site=org

And look at Bama's D stats during & after Steele. #31 --> #3

Oct 10, 2010, 3:41 PM

Steele at Bama 2007: Total D: #31. Scorng D: #27.
Smart at Bama 2008: Total D: #3. Scoring D: #7.

Steele really doesn't have a resume as a successful DC.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Steele

Agree that Koening might not be worse than Steele, but

Oct 13, 2010, 7:22 AM

PSU's O is awful so any defensive performance against them has to taken with a grain of salt.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 10, 2010, 1:21 AM

You fair weather fan suck!!! But I bet you are the same fans who when the Tigers win you're screaming "All In"! We have a good team and a good coaching staff. They just have to get it together. They are physically capable, it's just the mental part of the game right now that is lacking. Just cheer for the players we have. Stop calling for Parker's demise. He led Clemson to their only ACC Title Game and gave up millions to come back and play. You at least owe him that! Dabo and the rest of the coaching staff led us to the ACC Title Game just a year ago, and I see people talking about firing him. Get the hell outta here! We are going to be fine!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Are Dabo & Napier the best that Clemson could have hired?

Oct 10, 2010, 2:23 AM

I for one never repeated Dabo's corny "All In" crap or Bowden's "Finish The Job" crap (and whatever his other slogans were). That's for suckers who buy into the feel-good, love-the-coach PR campaigns. I've been saying the same thing since before Clemson hired Dabo (and for the last few years of the Bowden regime). If you're serious about having a Top 15 football program, then you hire a proven, top-tier coaching staff. Otherwise you wallow in mediocrity, you make excuses, and spin up a feel-good PR campaign.

Let's face it. No self-respecting FBS football school in the country would hire position-coaches to be HC and OC. There have been 46 head coaching changes in the last 2 years, but I can't think of one school that did that. (And I'm talking about schools that are a LOT worse and have a LOT less resources than Clemson.) But Clemson fans soaked up the administration's PR campaign and the fans were suddenly sure that a wide-receivers coach was THE MAN to lead Clemson. And while Clemson hung onto Bowden and his progeny, UNC hired a proven champion in Butch Davis, SCar hired a proven champion in Steve Spurrier, NCSU hired a proven winner in Tom O'Brien, etc.

I'm not calling for Dabo & crew to be fired yet. They might be good coaches some day after some more on-the-job training. Heck, we might even win the ACC this year despite being one of the weaker coaching staffs in the ACC. I'm just pointing out that Clemson's administration isn't serious about making Clemson a Top 15 team and they're not giving the players the best opportunity to succeed.

I'm definitely not calling for Parker to be benched. He played well. But contrary to your claim, I can find no reliable news source that confirmed that Parker gave up ANY money (let alone millions) to come back and play football. His parent ASKED for more money. But I have not been able find any confirmed report that the Rockies offered Parker more money (let alone millions) to not play football. It looks like the Rockies called the Parker's bluff and ended up taking advantage of the Parkers' over-reach and desperation. Clemson's PR department spun it as though Parker gave up big bucks to play football. But I couldn't find any confirmation of that. If you have some, I'd be interested to see it.

Oct 10, 2010, 6:45 AM

Well we are 5 games into " we need to coach them better!" I think it's time to swallow hard and realize that we have a 4-8 season staring us in the face and staying home during bowl season. Our chances left are,maybe a win against Maryland,a possible against Boston College and a better chance against Wake Forest.We will now see if"the staff" can hold this group of young men together while they lose games. Will the recruits begin to drop away? This program is in trouble and it started with the promotion of Mr. Dabo!But I ask you, what's different than the frustration of 50 years!

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic