Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Lack of running success, inconsistency mark Tiger offense on Saturday
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1,740

Oct 9, 2010, 9:18 PM

The Clemson Tigers finally had a receiver step up - seven catches for freshman Nuke Hopkins - but still managed just 16 points as they rushed for 91 yards against the 85th-ranked run defense in the country. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What the University needs to understand is...

Oct 9, 2010, 9:38 PM

success starts at the top,not with the fans.When it becomes important to them,then maybe we can move forward. But not until.
As long we we continue to support their shenanigins,send the money,fill the stands-nothing is going be done.

There was a lack of running success because Ellington had

Oct 9, 2010, 9:41 PM

a lack of carries. #### Dabo...GIVE ELLINGTON A SHOT!

And we only ran it 23 times total...

Oct 9, 2010, 9:42 PM

completely abandoned the run at certain parts of the game, and fell into catch-up mode in the second half.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Todays "Gameplan" = throw 40+ times against the 85th rush D

Oct 9, 2010, 11:41 PM

Worked about as well as it did against UK in 06.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lack of running attempts...

Oct 9, 2010, 9:42 PM

is what the headline should read

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How much more obvious can it get???

Oct 9, 2010, 9:50 PM

Spiller's gone, no one respects our running game. Yeah, Ellington's 7 yards per carry against some AWFUL rushing defenses makes us happy, heck Harper looked good early, but it's obvious that we can't run the ball. If you can't run the ball, you better pass the ball. When you can't pass the ball, you're not going to win games.

Give Ellington the ball, man up on the OL and RUN THE D@$! BALL!!! Until they 3 and out you with it, don't throw the ball. The defense reads tendencies and if we stand a chance to throw the ball, we better prove to ourselves we can run it. 3rd and 1? 4th and 1??? Turnover on downs... That's our season!

Mr. Hood not sure if you even watched the game

Oct 9, 2010, 11:17 PM

but the stats will show that the offense picked up 3.3 yards per carry as a whole on 27 attempts, while Ellington gained 4.5 yards per carry on 12 attempts. This shows me the rest of the team was well below the average so why aren't we giving Ellington the ball more because clearly he was having success when everyone else was not.

BTW, Lattimore had 23 of Carolina 30 rushing attempts today and that worked out pretty well for them.

Re: Mr. Hood not sure if you even watched the game

Oct 9, 2010, 11:49 PM

Of course I watched. And we all asked Billy after the game why Ellington didn't get the ball more and he never answered. I asked Ellington if he was hurt, and he said no. I asked him why he wasn't in on that drive in the fourth quarter and he said "Jamie had the hot hand." When I pressed him even further about his lack of touches, he just shrugged.

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No offense, but if that is the case, then why the headline?

Oct 9, 2010, 11:53 PM

Be honest and say "Lack of rushing attempts doom offense" or something to that effect.

Give us the raw juice my man.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ellington is one Classy Dude...***

Oct 9, 2010, 11:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Mr. Hood not sure if you even watched the game ]

Thanks for asking the hard questions

Oct 10, 2010, 12:03 AM [ in reply to Re: Mr. Hood not sure if you even watched the game ]

I appears you feel the same way we do but unlike us you don't hide behind a screen name so I understand why you wrote it up the way you did. Keep up the good work and we'll keep reading it.

Wow! Thanks for asking the question! Napier is incompetent***

Oct 10, 2010, 2:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Mr. Hood not sure if you even watched the game ]

Gentlemen, here is your answer per your story Mr. Hood...

Oct 10, 2010, 11:09 AM [ in reply to Re: Mr. Hood not sure if you even watched the game ]

From the 9/24/10 story, "Ellington: 'I Just Want to Make Plays'": http://www.tigernet.com/view/story.do?id=8910

Copied directly from the story:
Despite the hot start for Ellington, offensive coordinator Billy Napier said on Tuesday that Ellington will continue to split carries with junior Jamie Harper in an effort to reduce the wear and tear on the 5-9, 190-pounder.
"We're trying to play those guys an equal number of snaps because of the cumulative effect of the season, I think you've got to do that," Napier said. "We don't want to leave the park one day and one guy is more beat up than the other. You've got to have two. We'd like to have a third back so you wouldn't have to play those guys 40, 44 plays."

I can understand Napier wanting to keep people healthy, but when 1 RB is CLEARLY out producing the other, then that more productive RB not only has earned and deserves MORE CARRIES but the NEED TO WIN GAMES CLEARLY DICTATES THAT THE PRODUCTIVE RB GET MORE CARRIES.

However, it is obvious that Napier is more concerned with his "philosophy" on the situation rather than dealing with the reality of it. Ellington should be our starter and featured back with Harper coming in on 3rd downs or to give Ellington some rest. Ellington runs harder, quicker, hits the hole with acceleration, has better field vision, makes quicker decisions, and runs north-south while Harper can catch the ball pretty well. We have 2 guys that have complimentary talents. We need to use them accordingly and stop trying to over-coach the reality of the situation.

The most effective Defense Ellington will face all year...

Oct 9, 2010, 11:32 PM

is Billy Napier's gameplan!

LOL!!!***

Oct 9, 2010, 11:34 PM

Uh, you have to call run plays with Ellington in the game

Oct 9, 2010, 11:40 PM

to have running success.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sadly, Billy is the only person who has'nt figued this out.****

Oct 9, 2010, 11:46 PM

I'm happy out team doesn't quit anymore but.......

Oct 9, 2010, 11:54 PM

(cough Bowden's teams cough) not quitting is not enough to win football games. You either get the job done or we find someone else who can, and if we lose next week then Dabo better be gone at the end of the year (and his entire staff, I'm tired of defending them). I like Dabo but this is a business and if you are not performing your days are numbered.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bowden did not have a problem with his teams quitting his

Oct 9, 2010, 11:56 PM

first couple of seasons either.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Demon Deacon problems? There's an app for that too, and it ain't buggy like that yellowjacket repellant:

Re: Lack of running success, inconsistency mark Tiger offense on Saturday

Oct 9, 2010, 11:54 PM

Lack of QB leadership! Bench Parker. I would rather have someone green ready to give his all for Clemson than Parker, a veteran, who is afraid of losing his baseball contract (Fear of getting hurt).
After being hit in the 2nd quarter at Auburn he has been horrendous. Stats prove it. He had the same problem last year. Time to move on. Let Parker play baseball instead of being the Clemson football albatross!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Lack of running success, inconsistency mark Tiger offense on Saturday

Oct 10, 2010, 12:17 AM

Parker played a good game with the exception of missing mcneal in the end zone. We lost because our coaches can't see the obvious. Harper is a terrible back, and Ellington should get every meaningful carry if he can handle it. If he can't then spell him with one of the other 3 scholarship backs- that's whey we gave them scholarships, to play, right? Let's face it, anyone can dance around and fall backwards. I think that their whole offense is based on having two interchangeable backs, that's why they can't realize this. Just like Dye and Ashe- took them 4 years to figure out they couldn't play.

Lack of Game Plan & Coaching Experience Dooms Tigers.

Oct 10, 2010, 1:46 AM

That should have been the headline.

Imagine you played Auburn and your RBs did this:
Ellington: 22/140, 6.4YPC
Harper: 19/44, 2.3YPC

But you dismiss the results and you evenly split carries versus Miami and your backs do this:
Ellington: 17/107, 6.3YPC
Harper: 18/57, 3.2YPC

Naturally when you play UNC, you'd give Ellington a bigger share of the carries, right? Not if you're Billy Napier. You do this:
Ellington: 12/55, 4.6YPC
Harper: 11/27, 2.5YPC

Clemson's inexperienced coaches have cost the team several games (GTx2, TCU, UMD, Auburn, & UNC). You get what you pay for. Is there any other self-respecting FBS football school in the country that hired position coaches to be HC and OC? Does anybody really think that this is the best coaching staff that Clemson could have hired?

nail, meet hammer***

Oct 10, 2010, 11:24 AM

Gentlemen, here is your answer per your story Mr. Hood...

Oct 10, 2010, 11:12 AM

From the 9/24/10 story, "Ellington: 'I Just Want to Make Plays'": http://www.tigernet.com/view/story.do?id=8910

Copied directly from the story:
Despite the hot start for Ellington, offensive coordinator Billy Napier said on Tuesday that Ellington will continue to split carries with junior Jamie Harper in an effort to reduce the wear and tear on the 5-9, 190-pounder.
"We're trying to play those guys an equal number of snaps because of the cumulative effect of the season, I think you've got to do that," Napier said. "We don't want to leave the park one day and one guy is more beat up than the other. You've got to have two. We'd like to have a third back so you wouldn't have to play those guys 40, 44 plays."

I can understand Napier wanting to keep people healthy, but when 1 RB is CLEARLY out producing the other, then that more productive RB not only has earned and deserves MORE CARRIES but the NEED TO WIN GAMES CLEARLY DICTATES THAT THE PRODUCTIVE RB GET MORE CARRIES.

However, it is obvious that Napier is more concerned with his "philosophy" on the situation rather than dealing with the reality of it. Ellington should be our starter and featured back with Harper coming in on 3rd downs or to give Ellington some rest. Ellington runs harder, quicker, hits the hole with acceleration, has better field vision, makes quicker decisions, and runs north-south while Harper can catch the ball pretty well. We have 2 guys that have complimentary talents. We need to use them accordingly and stop trying to over-coach the reality of the situation.

Tough to gain rushing yards when you don't call running

Oct 10, 2010, 11:22 AM

plays when your best RB is on the field.

Ellington needs to see twice as many carries as Harper... PERIOD.

null

Replies: 25
| visibility 1,740
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic