Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hopkins: This is what I came here for
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 19
| visibility 1

Oct 5, 2010, 9:32 PM

Freshman wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins took most of the first team snaps during Tuesday's practice as he prepares for his first career start, and Nuke said being able to contribute is why he came to Clemson. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If you fumble the football you run a mile"

Oct 5, 2010, 9:37 PM

To quote my favorite sports movie.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

This is what you're looking for:

Oct 6, 2010, 12:45 AM

"You fumble the football and I will break my foot off in your John Brown hind parts...and THEN you will run a mile."

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"If you can dodge a car, you can dodge a defender"

Oct 6, 2010, 8:28 AM [ in reply to "If you fumble the football you run a mile" ]

paraphrased from another great sports movie ;)

And when you can balance a tack hammer on your head...

Oct 6, 2010, 8:30 AM

...you can head off your foe with a balanced attack.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think he will have a really nice career at Clemson

Oct 5, 2010, 9:38 PM

a real solid player

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I coached for a year at Daniel when Nuke was a sophomore

Oct 5, 2010, 10:19 PM

this kid is talented. I bet you he'll be a top round draft choice by his junior year.

that's the attitude i want

Oct 5, 2010, 10:38 PM

hell yeah. goosebumps while reading this article.

Do some work Son

Oct 6, 2010, 12:43 AM

maybe some you your hard work and confidence will translate into the other wr's. Hopefully

Hopkins will begin to emerge now! He is Our guy!

Oct 6, 2010, 2:21 AM

I have seen this story before. He was basically the most talented receiver but they wouldn't play him because he didn't get the playbook. Now he is understanding the playbook and he will emerge as a star. This is the first of our receivers to really start showing up. He will prove it at UNC.

Re: Hopkins: This is what I came here for

Oct 6, 2010, 8:14 AM

This world has alot to offer to those who wants it. Nuke wants to be the top receiver at Clemson. That shows in his confidence, work ethics, motovation to succeed. You will never see a true freshman start for any collegiate sports without those three main ingredients. Nuke reminds me alot of the Jones kid at Bama. I believe Nuke can be just as good but, I hope he doesn't incur the injuries the Jones kid has had. So go ahead Nuke, Nuke our opposing defences. And lets get a long string of Ws going for Clemson. With Ellington, Harper, Allen, Nuke, and one more WR that will step up, Clemson would be Very hard to stop....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Glad to see him getting a chance to start

Oct 6, 2010, 8:24 AM

He could flop this week, but I don't see that happening. He's only gonna get better, and he sounds like once a mistake happens once he doesn't make it again (I'm referring to the fumble in the Miami game). Good to hear because he actually looked like he wanted to play last week, and that was pretty much our only receiver to look like that.

My question to Scott is: what took you so long?

Oct 6, 2010, 9:01 AM

Most of us saw after week 2 that Nuke was a starter....it had to be said. That is all.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Talent in the wrong place is wasted talent...

Oct 6, 2010, 9:12 AM

He said it himself: Nuke knew he had the talent, but not the knowledge. His high school playing was worlds from what is expected at the college level.

Now that he ... and the coaches ... are comfortable that he understands what's going on around him, he's likely to be in the right place on the right play.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Talent in the wrong place is wasted talent...

Oct 6, 2010, 9:15 AM

all that is true but talent in the wrong place is better than X. Dye in the right place, neither one will make the catch but one will look good doing it

Yes and no: A drop is a drop...

Oct 6, 2010, 9:22 AM

...a kid making the wrong turn on a timing play can be a pick-six for the defense.

I think waiting five whole games before moving a true freshman into a starting role isn't especially slow. In truth, I think he became the starter midway through the Miami game after fumbling the catch and getting to return on the next series.

Hopkins did NOT say that he didn't have the knowledge.

Oct 6, 2010, 1:58 PM [ in reply to Talent in the wrong place is wasted talent... ]

Read what Hopkins said. He didn't say that he didn't have the knowledge to play. He just said that he's learning. I hope he'll be learning through his entire college and NFL career.

He should have been the starter a lot earlier.

Hopkins

Oct 6, 2010, 10:47 AM

Cant Wait to see you play! And beat the Heels!!!

Hopkins may have a great opportunity this week...

Oct 6, 2010, 12:23 PM

According to the latest word, the UNC secondary is young and questionable. Hopefully, this is a breakout game for Hopkins, which is much needed in the Tigers offense.

A strip/fumble is understandable. Regular drops are NOT.

Oct 6, 2010, 2:24 PM

Fumbles are never good. But the Miami defender really did an excellent job of stripping Hopkins of the ball. Maybe if Hopkins had held it higher and tighter he could have avoided the strip. (And I hope he learns from that experience as he said.) But I have a hard time getting too upset about that kind of fumble. Maybe that's in part because I was so elated to actually see a Clemson WR catch the ball-- especially with outstretched hands. I'd say that the chances of Hopkins getting stripped like that again is negliglble, whereas the chances of Clemson's senior WRs dropping half of the passes placed in their hands is about 100%. So the obvious choice is to play Hopkins since he actually catches the ball (not to mention getting separation and blocking.

Hopkins is one of the few Clemson receivers who actually goes up and catches the ball with OUTSTRETCHED HANDS AND FINGERTIPS like they teach you to do from grade school. It seems like many of Clemson's receivers try to catch the ball with their elbows tucked into their bellies, letting the ball bounce off their palms and forearms.

Replies: 19
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic