Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tigers end preseason camp with scrimmage
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1,743

Aug 24, 2010, 7:39 PM

Clemson closed the preseason camp portion of its preparation for the season opener against North Texas with a half scrimmage on the practice fields behind the Jervey Athletic Center. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WOW-gives the Tigers 11 original walk-ons now on scholarship

Aug 24, 2010, 7:46 PM

for the 2010 season.

That is a pretty incredible stat.

I know we hold some back for schollies to give and had a few guys go down - JK Jay, Cooper, Lost Korn, seems like we lost another guy or two... but DANG

11 original walk-ons now on scholarship for the 2010 season -- Amazing

maybe we better be a little more aggressive this year recruiting.

null

Re: WOW-gives the Tigers 11 original walk-ons now on scholarship

Aug 24, 2010, 7:57 PM

Good for the guys who earned schollies, but 11 is way too many. No excuse for not signing more guys last year. This is a problem that has to be solved if we are ever going to be a consistently top-notch program.

Walk-on Scholarships are a good thing...

Aug 24, 2010, 8:51 PM

When Nebraska was consistently fielding Top 5 teams under Coach Tom Osbourne, a big part of his program was walk-on's. Some players are late developing and don't become good football players until their senior year in high school, by then they have been overlooked by the scouts. Kudos to Dabo for giving them a chance.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Re: Walk-on Scholarships are a good thing...

Aug 24, 2010, 10:26 PM

ozborn did not have to deal with an 85 man scholarship limit, 11 walk-ons is way too many. I agree with the above posters that we need more numbers in the next few classes. However, we have hit on most of our prospects the last 3 years under this staff. I do not see me busts or academic casualties, but plenty of pleasant surprises.

Rather have the walk-ons.than pine riders who never perform

Aug 25, 2010, 5:03 AM

and get in trouble...like some teams.

Also, don't forget we had an extremely small class two yrs

Aug 25, 2010, 10:02 AM [ in reply to Walk-on Scholarships are a good thing... ]

ago when TB was "let go" and Dabo took over. That class took a huge hit. '09 class I believe?

It's not too many...where do you get that from?

Aug 24, 2010, 10:14 PM [ in reply to Re: WOW-gives the Tigers 11 original walk-ons now on scholarship ]

Same reason many NFL teams often have a number of guys on the active roster that were not drafted. Recruiting is not an exact science...and walkons fill a great need of finding guys not recruited but develop in to guys who "should have been" recruited/given 'ships in the first place.

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

I would rather have 7 or 8 of those scholarships

Aug 24, 2010, 11:10 PM

going to recruited athletes and still keep the walk-ons

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^ walk on scholy's... like buying a 747 for free peanuts.***

Aug 25, 2010, 6:48 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Excuse me? I don't go down to your work and tell you how to flip the burger!"

Re: WOW-gives the Tigers 11 original walk-ons now on scholarship

Aug 24, 2010, 11:35 PM [ in reply to WOW-gives the Tigers 11 original walk-ons now on scholarship ]

Walk-on to scholarship==incredible desire and work ethic. Inspires me when I hear about it.

Thats C.E. Murry High School War Eagles***

Aug 24, 2010, 8:23 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Spend the next 2 weeks learning how to stop GT's option! :-)***

Aug 24, 2010, 8:30 PM

Walk-Ons

Aug 25, 2010, 7:35 AM

You guys are looking at this all wrong. Teams always have open scholarships due to turnover not lack of recuiting. Do you even realize how hard it is to walk on - and this is where players like long snappers come from. These 11 guys busted their butts because they wanted to be Tigers. I am proud of every one of them. Way to go guys.

No it is great for those 11 guys

Aug 25, 2010, 9:16 AM

But the attrition rate to have the scholarships to give them isn't a great thing.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some of them have earned them, plus think recently

Aug 25, 2010, 9:24 AM

Jake Nicolopulous could not take his scholarship. Martavis Bryant, Ricky Chaney, and Corey Crawford did not qualify and could not take theirs for this year. Then Scotty Cooper just had to retire. There is 5 open scholarships that will probably be handed out in the near future, but open for this season.

Also, I am not seeing Evan McKelvey on our team roster. He might not be using his this season and grey shirting so 6 scholarship because of recent events.

Re: Some of them have earned them, plus think recently

Aug 25, 2010, 10:42 AM

You also have Stanley Hunter's scholarship and Will Korn's that won't be used for the next 2 years. We should definitely have a full complement of 25 to offer this year.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1,743
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic