Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Gilchrist the "genius" of the defense
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1,764

Aug 16, 2010, 9:24 PM

Rashard Hall, who will take over full-time duties at strong safety, said after practice last week that Marcus Gilchrist was the “genius of the defense.” Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Gilchrist the "genius" of the defense

Aug 16, 2010, 9:28 PM

Kid's a class act. I'm really excited about this secondary.

Re: Gilchrist the "genius" of the defense

Aug 16, 2010, 10:30 PM

I've been excited about our Tiger players for 47 years now. And its always more than a few every single year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It sounds to me like

Aug 16, 2010, 10:50 PM

Gilchrist has got it flat dialed in! Makes you proud, doesn't it?!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I obviously trust our coaches more than my lowly self but

Aug 16, 2010, 11:55 PM

I am sort of surprised that DeAndre isn't playing SS and Rashard is playing FS. I mean, DeAndre is a head hunter and is great at sitting underneath routes to make pick off. And Rashard Hall showed his superior ability to provide umbrella coverage and roam the deep quarter to pick off deep balls better than anyone else on the team. Also, DeAndre is an AMAZING run support DB. So if SS's typicall play closer to the LOS and help more often in run support and FS's tend to play deeper, why are they not switched? Anybody see what I am getting at?

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I obviously trust our coaches more than my lowly self but

Aug 17, 2010, 1:08 AM

I definitely agree.

Anyone got any insight on this?

Aug 17, 2010, 6:36 AM [ in reply to I obviously trust our coaches more than my lowly self but ]

Pretty sure the SS tends to be the one tasked with covering the TE and the FS is "free" to roam and make plays. Hall may be more suited to man on man coverage on the TE. Or it could just be the terminology that Steele uses. Either way, our 2 starting safeties have got to be among the best 4 or 5 duos in the nation.

While your first and second points are definately true...

Aug 17, 2010, 3:41 PM

SS is more of a run support guy. DeAndre is obviously the better run support DB. In fact, he may be the best in the entire country. Our lack of leadership at LB magnifies this issue. Hell, DeAndre even started at LB for one season. I support Steele as much as anyone else on here, but I have yet to hear a good reason (even though I assume there probably is one) as to why DeAndre is a FS. Either way, Rashard Hall was our best "free" or "roaming" defensive back last year too. Look at all his picks, he came over and predicted where the deep ball was going.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 17, 2010, 7:24 AM [ in reply to I obviously trust our coaches more than my lowly self but ]

It's how they line up. The strong safety lines up on the strong side--the side with the TE.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Aug 17, 2010, 8:00 AM

I guess as any fan sees things I see that we have a great defense that I can see elevate their game at the LB position. All my fantasy football knowledge tells me that ideally you would want the D line to have the most tackles but ultimately the LB is the leader. I hope we can shift our leading tackler to a LB instead of someone in the secondary.

There is one exception that the Offenses we play know they can't run on us so they pass every play then it would be exceptable. GO TIGERS!!

Aug 17, 2010, 11:07 AM [ in reply to I obviously trust our coaches more than my lowly self but ]

I was just saying the same thing to my co-worker,i hope they are just doing this as a training op, like gilchrist said so everyone will know all db positions. We need Deandre in the box. But it might just be that i love to see deandre bang runners too. lol.

PLEASE let's do something about the grammar of the "senior

Aug 17, 2010, 8:21 AM

writer" for Tigernet.

No offense meant to Mr. David Hood. I enjoy reading the content of your articles. But if you have a "byline" that gives you credit as a senior writer, you should at least write correctly.

For those who would mock me as the grammar police, there's a difference between message board posts and front page articles. Or, at least, there should be.

Please, guys, Tigernet is the number one Clemson sports website. Let's make the front page worthy of that distinction.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 11
| visibility 1,764
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic