Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
July 20th is date set by Rockies for Parker decision
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

Jul 8, 2010, 6:12 PM

Cathy Parker, the mother of Clemson athlete Kyle Parker, said on Thursday that July 20th is the agreed-upon date for the Colorado Rockies to have an agreement in place with her son - giving Clemson football coaches a little bit of notice should he not return. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: July 20th is date set by Rockies for Parker decision

Jul 8, 2010, 6:50 PM

still time for a reality show of this. hey if it works for Lebron why not KP. Tap into that huge SC and CU media market.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Papers said that Russel Wilson 'signed' his deal 2 weeks ago

Jul 8, 2010, 7:07 PM

http://www.greensborosports.com/2010/06/21/n-c-states-russell-wilson-signs-his-deal-with-the-colorado-rockies/

Interesting that the take on Parker is 'deals are not usually done until mid august' and that special permission is needed from MLB for the July date. Yet Russel Wilson signed his contract a few weeks ago, will play football in the fall and NCSU and is already playing minor league baseball for the Rockies.

I got no conclusions here and no real insight, but the circumstances surely look different for Wilson than for Parker.

Back in 2001, the Royals told Roscoe Crosby they would take him 9th in the MLB draft if he'd drop football. He said he wanted to play both sports, so the Royals drafted him in round two, gave him a $1.75M bonus and let him plaly baseball. That did not turn out well, but it does show that can be done when a team wants a player.

Only about half a dozen of the first rounders have already signed. The 4th player chosen out of Cal State signed for a $2.75M bonus. That guy is a short stop.

All this leaves me wondering. If the Rockies wanted Kyle Parker badly enough, seems like they would have already written him a big enough check and put him to work playing minor league ball. That is the piece I don't understand. Take him in the first round, but let him sit out a year of baseball. Seems odd to me.

Harley

Message was edited by: Harley®

Message was edited by: Harley®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Rockies need permission from the Commissioner's Office..

Jul 8, 2010, 7:15 PM

to go over the slot amount for the #26 pick. Over-slot deals usually aren't finalized until right before the deadline in order to get around that issue. If they were willing to simply pay him whatever the slot value is, then they wouldn't have to take that step. The Royals gave Christian Colon, the #4 pick in the draft 2.75 million dollars and he's already playing minor league baseball. The fact that the Rockies are making this move tells me that they're willing to pay Kyle enough to get him to give up football.

Re: The Rockies need permission from the Commissioner's Office..

Jul 8, 2010, 7:17 PM

i still say kyle plays football this fall, then reports to spring training, wherever that might be.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I tend to agree with baseball fan.

Jul 8, 2010, 7:18 PM [ in reply to The Rockies need permission from the Commissioner's Office.. ]

I do not understand the slot money angle.

Harley

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe this will help...

Jul 8, 2010, 7:21 PM

this is a similar situation.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/draft/?p=2577

Re: I tend to agree with baseball fan.

Jul 8, 2010, 7:21 PM [ in reply to I tend to agree with baseball fan. ]

lets see, ride on a bus for 10 hours a day for the next few months or play on national tv playing qb for a major university. please, tell me what kyle loses by missing a couple of months of baseball when he can report after football season.

You mean if he doesn't get hurt right?***

Jul 8, 2010, 7:24 PM

"Our wide receiver coach has accomplished just as much as your legend."

- The man of a million handles.

Re: You mean if he doesn't get hurt right?***

Jul 8, 2010, 7:25 PM

good lord who asked you coot. please get the hell away from me.

Sports Insurance

Jul 9, 2010, 9:53 AM [ in reply to You mean if he doesn't get hurt right?*** ]

That's what a multi-million dollar sports insurance policies from Lloyd's of London is for. They cost a lot but if you don't get hurt you can easily pay the premium. If you do get a career ending injury, you're still rich and can still afford the premium.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He misses 4 months of development...

Jul 8, 2010, 7:24 PM [ in reply to Re: I tend to agree with baseball fan. ]

as a baseball player and puts himself that much further behind when Spring Training comes around in 2011. If he gives up football, he can play in the Arizona Fall League and keep up his baseball skills.

Re: He misses 4 months of development...

Jul 8, 2010, 7:27 PM

i give up. kyle should just throw away his football career. sorry for bringing it up.

Arizona Fall League

Jul 8, 2010, 7:56 PM [ in reply to He misses 4 months of development... ]

While I doubt it would be unprecedented it would be very rare for a player coming out of college to play in the Arizona Fall League. That is a league intended for the premiere guys who the organization intends to push thru their system and I would be at least a little surprised to see them throw Kyle into it.

Re: Arizona Fall League

Jul 8, 2010, 7:58 PM

what the hell do you know clemfan. we get our info from all the experts on this board. lol

I know...sorry for jumping in. Lost my mind!******

Jul 8, 2010, 8:01 PM

Re: I know...sorry for jumping in. Lost my mind!******

Jul 8, 2010, 8:02 PM

lol, know your role.

Additional clarification on Arizona Fall League

Jul 8, 2010, 8:26 PM [ in reply to Arizona Fall League ]

Most are Double-A and Triple-A Minor League players. Each club can opt to send one player considered a Single-A player.

Re: I tend to agree with baseball fan.

Jul 8, 2010, 7:22 PM [ in reply to I tend to agree with baseball fan. ]

he just might have this one right,,I sure don`t know but IMHO Kyle has played his last down for football
Tigers

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I really hope Kyle Parker stays to play football!

Jul 9, 2010, 1:33 PM [ in reply to Re: July 20th is date set by Rockies for Parker decision ]

I no it's a long shot... but man we could be really good with him back at QB.

Sounds like Mrs. P.

Jul 8, 2010, 8:07 PM

is doing a little negotiation through the press.

who can blame her?***

Jul 8, 2010, 8:13 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

agreed***

Jul 8, 2010, 8:17 PM

Clemfan, what's your call here?

Jul 8, 2010, 8:48 PM

You know way more baseball than me.

My guess is that the Rockies last best offer this summer is the most KP will ever get as an initial contract from MLB. Am I off base?

Further, I'd guess that if he can sign for north of $2.5M, He is a goner. I'd certainly hold no grudge against him.

What I'd hate to see is him skip the baseball dollars, then get hurt or otherwise lose stature or a chance at major money.

What's your call here?

Harley

Re: Clemfan, what's your call here?

Jul 8, 2010, 10:21 PM

If he signs to play for the Rockies it will be all about the money!!! He will be in the minor league for 3 or 4 years and then "might" get a call up to the big league!!

If he stays and have a good showing in football he will be drafted in the NFL draft and will be on a actual Pro roster and not a minor league roster.

It all about the chips! Pro football or minor league roster for riding buses for 3 years!!!

Well there is another way to look at this.

Jul 8, 2010, 10:35 PM

Professional baseball with a $2,000,000 bonus or work in a real job like most of use with a starting salary of $45,000, but you do get week-ends off and one week of vacation. Honestly I think that is more likely than your two choices.

Re: Clemfan, what's your call here?

Jul 9, 2010, 5:57 AM [ in reply to Clemfan, what's your call here? ]

Hi Harley

I agree 100% that whatever the best offer KP gets from the Rockies will be the best he ever sees from MLB. Don't think there is any doubt about that at all.

From Day 1 the number that came to mind for me is $2.5 - 3.5 million and I believe they had an agreement in substance made before the draft even occurred. But football probably remains the issue.

With all that said I think that the next 10 days worth of discussions for KP and the Rockies will be based on his desire to play football balanced against how the contract will be structured if they allow him to.

So he actually took the bat off his shoulder?***

Jul 9, 2010, 8:54 AM

I think the comment that is almost amusing....

Jul 9, 2010, 8:55 AM

is where....

"letting Kyle see the stadium".....

you aren't going to Denver...you're going to Casper Wyoming or Asheville NC.

God I hope he gets to Denver but that's a long road from here.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please tell me he's not going to have an hour long

Jul 9, 2010, 8:58 AM

show on espn telling us why he chose to go to the Rockies..... ;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As if you wouldn't watch it!

Jul 9, 2010, 1:55 PM

;)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Kyle, we'll need a decision sooner than that

Jul 9, 2010, 10:45 AM

Signed,
Clemson Nation

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He doesn't owe "Clemson Nation" anything.***

Jul 9, 2010, 11:09 AM

Apparently you don't understand a joke***

Jul 9, 2010, 11:58 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i am SOOO tired of this subject.

Jul 11, 2010, 6:13 AM

if he stays, he is a dumba$$.

when he says he is gone, he will have lost so much respect from so many fans.
he is in a lose-lose with this dragging out crap.

it's obviously about the money. take it. be smart.

He's not a "dumba$$" if he wants to play both football and

Jul 11, 2010, 10:06 AM

baseball.

Are you thinking it's an option that he outright refuses the baseball deal and plays only football? Everyone, expect maybe you, knows that ain't gonna happen.

But there's a distinct possibility he can play both and get paid well to do it. If injury is the biggest concern, that's what they make insurance for. The kid loves playing football at Clemson, and obviously he doesn't want to just throw it away and burn that bridge forever. If he can sign a lucrative deal to do both, then THAT is the smart thing to do.

This is just negotiation posturing. KP has no NFL future.

Jul 12, 2010, 3:23 AM

The Parkers and their attorney are just posturing to get more money from the Rockies. Surely the Parkers know that Kyle has a miniscule chance for a career in the NFL and practically no chance to make it the NFL unless he plays for 2-3 more football seasons. Therefore it makes no sense for him to return to Clemson for football.

Sure, it might be fun to be QB for another season, but how much is that fun worth? $50k? $100k? Do you think KP would pay $100k to be QB for one more year? I doubt it. Do you think the Rockies would pay him $100k to keep him from being QB one one more year and to focus on bringing the Rockies a quicker return on their 1st round pick? Probably.

As I've said before, KP has almost no chance of an NFL career because of his 6'0" height. In the last 4 years, and 50 QBs drafted, only 4 QBs under 6’2” have been drafted and all were superstars:
1) 6’1” senior Colt McCoy-- the all-time winningest college QB-- 3rd round.
2) The speedy 5’ 11” senior Armanti Edwards, who is projected to play primarily as a WR & KR, not as a QB—3rd round.
3) 6’ senior Pat White who is projected to play WR & situational wildcat running QB (skills that Parker doesn't possess)-- 2nd round.
4) 6’ Heisman winner, senior Troy Smith-- 5th round.

So of the 50 sub 6'2" QBs drafted over the last 4 years, only two were drafted to play QB. One was a Heisman winner who only went in the 5th round, and the other was a Heisman finalist and all-time winningest college QB. Both were seniors. And both were on stellar teams that played for national championships. So in order for Parker to get drafted by the NFL, he'd probably have to turn in a Heisman peformance on a team that doesn't have any truly proven receivers, and that doesn't make most pre-season Top 25 lists, as a redshirt sophomore. Highly, highly, highly, highly, highly unlikely.

Sure, occasionally a 6' Drew Brees, makes it, but more often there are guys like 6'1" Chase Daniel who (despite a brilliant college career) go undrafted and end up on a practice squad for $91k/yr. I don't see the Parkers taking that risk when they have a bird in hand.

Poor CWS

Jul 16, 2010, 12:31 AM

after the horrible CWS performance Parker needs to hand the keys over to Boyd and take the money while he can

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic