Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Parker selected in first round by Rockies
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

Jun 7, 2010, 9:45 PM

The Colorado Rockies used the 26th overall pick in Monday's MLB Draft to select Clemson's Kyle Parker. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Take the money and run! Good luck to you!***

Jun 7, 2010, 9:47 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Only an insane person wouldn't take 3 mil.

Jun 7, 2010, 10:20 PM

Good luck Kyle!

And point to you drummer.

You know how to tell if the stage is level?

Drool comes out of both sides of the drummers mouth

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

So that's why I always have to stay after sound check!***

Jun 7, 2010, 11:34 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Take the money and run! Good luck to you!***

Jun 7, 2010, 10:21 PM [ in reply to Take the money and run! Good luck to you!*** ]

if he left then i just dont think tajh boyd has enough experience to take over starting QB.it is a lot of money no doubt about that.but we could really use him in football this year after a very good first season last year

Oh right, he needs to conform his life to your needs as a

Jun 8, 2010, 12:24 PM

football fan.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Re: . I know that IF is a big big word when you are talking

Jun 7, 2010, 10:46 PM [ in reply to Take the money and run! Good luck to you!*** ]

about 3 mil. And I'm just sayin. But if Kyle continued to progress at the same rate he did his fresman year as QB. He would more than likely go in the first round in the NFL. So would'nt he make alot more money than what MLB is offering right now. Kyle is a hard core athelete, could'nt he make more as a QB in the NFL. If not, please tell me why not. I don't have a clue about those things, and thats only b/c I'm only interested in what they can and do at Clemson. And i know they get a free ride with their education in that. And I'm sure that 4 years at as fine a coledge Clemson is, is'nt cheap.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: . I know that IF is a big big word when you are talking

Jun 7, 2010, 11:46 PM

He'd almost never be a 1st round QB based on height alone. But it is worth noting that after this football season he could get his NFL Draft grade. That would at least show him what kind of track he's really on towards the NFL, which might clear up the decision.
I think he stands to earn more playing baseball, where players generally have bigger contracts and more longevity.

Parker's NFL prospects are dim. He need to go. Here's why...

Jun 8, 2010, 12:08 AM [ in reply to Re: . I know that IF is a big big word when you are talking ]

On average, seniors get half the MLB signing bonuses of juniors because juniors have the leverage (the threat) of returning for their senior year of college. Some might argue that Parker would have leverage after his senior year of baseball eligibility because he could threaten to return for his junior and senior years of football eligibility, and become a potential NFL draftee. But MLB teams (and the Parkers) know that NFL teams are highly unikely to draft Parker because, at 6’0” (or 5'11" or 6'1" depending on whom you believe), Parker is too short. In the last 4 years, and 50 QBs drafted, only 4 QBs under 6’2” have been drafted and ALL were superstars:
1) 6’1” Colt McCoy-- the all-time winningest college QB-- 3rd round.
2) The speedy 5’ 11” Armanti Edwards, who is projected to play primarily as a WR & KR, not as a QB—3rd round. 3) 6’ Pat White, who is projected to play WR or situational wildcat QB-- 2nd round.
4) 6’ Heisman winner Troy Smith-- 5th round.

The NFL values height so they draft guys like 6'3" Keith Null of West Texas A&M (who? where?), over shorter stars like 6'1" Chase Daniel, who went undrafted and landed on an NFL practice squad for $91k/yr, despite his brilliant college career at Missouri. Every once in a while, a "short" QB like Drew Brees gets drafted and makes it big in the NFL, but it's highly unlikely. MLB teams know that. The Parkers know that. Therefore KP must go to MLB.

If Parker were to return for football, he'd basically be gambling that he'd become a Heisman-esque QB, despite being surrounded by a questionable supporting cast, including no proven wide receivers. He'd also be risking a career-ending injury. Terrible risks for not much reward. Therefore KP must go to MLB.

But hey... if KP doesn't make it in baseball, he can always come back to college a few years from now and play football, like Dave Shinkskie at Boston College... except that unlike Shinkskie, KP would be a millionaire. How great would it be to come back to college as a good-looking, millionaire starting QB, of drinking age? World by the balls.

Your concluding paragraph gave me a vicarious rush!***

Jun 8, 2010, 7:59 AM

Drew Brees 5'11 weak arm 1st round pick, superbowl champ***

Jun 8, 2010, 6:29 PM [ in reply to Parker's NFL prospects are dim. He need to go. Here's why... ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I noted Brees who is 6' was a 2nd-rounder & a VERY rare case

Jun 9, 2010, 11:44 PM

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drew_Brees

he can't come back unless he didn't play football at all....

Jun 8, 2010, 6:31 PM [ in reply to Parker's NFL prospects are dim. He need to go. Here's why... ]

remember roscoe crosby couldn't come back

Dang! There goes my fantasy.***

Jun 9, 2010, 11:45 PM

Clemson is indeed a fine coledge.***

Jun 8, 2010, 6:26 PM [ in reply to Re: . I know that IF is a big big word when you are talking ]

Re: Clemson is indeed a fine coledge.***

Jun 8, 2010, 7:17 PM

please, College : ) ...

Re: Clemson is indeed a fine coledge.***

Jun 8, 2010, 7:18 PM [ in reply to Clemson is indeed a fine coledge.*** ]

please, College : ) ...

He meant to say "universitty"..........:~)***

Jun 8, 2010, 7:32 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Kyle.......the Tax Man from the IRS is on Line One !***

Jun 7, 2010, 9:52 PM

If those figures are correct then congrats to KP

Jun 7, 2010, 9:53 PM

At 3+ million as a signing bonus he will be well on his way.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If those figures are correct then congrats to KP

Jun 7, 2010, 10:20 PM

there goes the season, gonna be a long one with another freshman qb. with the schedule we have, i dread the out come. taj, get ready, the job is yours. hope we finally can settle down with 1 qb for 4 years. all the talent coming in, qb has to make it work.
todd helton left tennessee because peyton manning came in and took his job away, i guess helton did not have another choice, not the same situation here, but money rules
cheer

Goodbye and good luck, Kyle. We hardly knew ya!***

Jun 7, 2010, 10:31 PM

I doubt he will be offered 3 million.

Jun 7, 2010, 10:39 PM

I don't think his bonus will be 3 million, more like 1.35 million. Of course, that mat still be enough for him to leave. If so, good luck.

By IPTAY?***

Jun 8, 2010, 6:48 AM

Re: Parker selected in first round by Rockies

Jun 7, 2010, 10:42 PM

Congrats to Kyle. What a great athlete and a fine young man. Taj is right where Kyle was last year, only with a better outlook in the OL. We will be fine, and I hope Kyle has a great career. I'm saying he will be gone next year, but whatever, we will be fine.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Where does the $3M figure come from? Last year's #26 pick...

Jun 7, 2010, 10:51 PM

Eric Arnett got $1.2M, so I'm confused where this estimate comes from.

BigCat

Re: Where does the $3M figure come from? Last year's #26 pick...

Jun 7, 2010, 10:54 PM

People are getting confused. The Rockies pick last year got over 3 mil but he was the 11th pick overall.

This article is poorly worded but I think it means that he dad thinks that is the amount needed to be life-changing. I could be wrong on that, of course.

I think you're right...26th doesn't get 3.5 mil

Jun 7, 2010, 10:59 PM

Unless the Rockies know that's what it takes to get him and they're willing to pay.

Money....

Jun 7, 2010, 11:29 PM

I think that 3 million number is the life changing money it would take to leave. Over the past five years the Rockies have paid kids that were taken with picks from 25-33 anywhere between 800k and 1.8m(signing bonus), pretty big span, but I am not sure that is the life changing money Parker's Dad refers to...hopefully he pulls a Jeff Samarja.

Tajh Boyd & the Parkers celebrate. Only $1-2M, but he's GONE***

Jun 7, 2010, 11:26 PM

... and Willy Korn laments his decision to go to Furman.***

Jun 7, 2010, 11:29 PM

Furman?***

Jun 7, 2010, 11:58 PM

Marshall, Furman, whatever. 2nd rate football program.***

Jun 8, 2010, 12:15 AM

Whatever huh?

Jun 8, 2010, 4:47 PM

Maybe the HC and the OC better hope that an untested Mike Wade and an untested Tahj Boyd are ready for ACC play. They knew that Parker could've been gone when they ushered Korn to the door. Best of luck Willy. Best of luck Kyle. Go Tigers!! We all make our bed.

Also, the last time we played Marshall...we lost (1999)******

Jun 8, 2010, 4:50 PM [ in reply to Marshall, Furman, whatever. 2nd rate football program.*** ]

Re: Also, the last time we played Marshall...we lost (1999)******

Jun 8, 2010, 7:19 PM

Tommy's First Game ... should have been a warning

KP could be one of those athletes who truely loves ...

Jun 8, 2010, 7:25 PM

who truely loves the game ... He has the chance to go down in Clemson history as one of THOSE who are mentioned in the future when talking of Clemson athletics ... Money is nice, but the love of the game can be just as strong of a motivator ... I hope he returns for at least one more year, but if not, God's speed and good luck in future either way, Kyle ... You'll be missed ... Go Tigers !!!

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic