Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Brooks teaching defensive linemen better techniques, how to not be "nosey"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

May 9, 2010, 5:26 PM

Defensive tackles coach Dan Brooks has now had a year to improve the fundamentals in his group, and he said recently he wouldn't trade his group for any in the country, even if they do get "nosey" at times. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Better bookmark this page

May 9, 2010, 5:33 PM

I'm still waiting to see if we get the most out of our "group" of guys this year.

Bowers,Thompson and Goodman will all be playing on Sundays. Let's hope we utilize these guys the right way.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Better bookmark this page

May 9, 2010, 5:34 PM

gosh, lets hope

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 9, 2010, 7:31 PM [ in reply to Better bookmark this page ]

Oh I've been saying all along this is probably the deepest and most talented DL we've had coming into a season that I can remember. I'm 23, so at least in my lifetime I think this is the best group yet, and we've had some really good DL's. As far as playing on Sundays, you can probably add Jenkins, Brown, and maybe Branch to that group too. So that's at least 5 guys (or more) who could end up playing in the league if they stay healthy and keep getting better. It's pretty scary when you have guys like Goodman, Brown, Chavis, Moore, and Cumbie who won't even be listed as starters at your disposal to just rotate in and out (assuming daquan, jarvis, brandon, and andre are the "starting 4").

I know injuries happen and staffs don't always get the most out of their groups, but this group can and should be special.

May 9, 2010, 7:33 PM

Not to mention we have Watson and Barnes coming in, and Watson maybe even being able to play right off the bat, we'll see.

Really stoked about the D-line this year...

May 9, 2010, 6:44 PM

Old school. I love it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Really stoked about the D-line this year...

May 9, 2010, 7:15 PM

Brooks was Dabo's best hire and he has made several. If the linebackers step up their play just a little, we will be a very solid team. Thanks, in part, to Dan Brooks.

May 9, 2010, 10:12 PM

He also coached under Charley Pell and we are very fortunate to have gotten him. Charley's wife Ward says that we will be happy he is at Clemson!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 10, 2010, 5:32 AM

I will keep saying this over and over but you can not find a better coach or person than Dan Brooks.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If we're that stacked on D-line, can we stop GT with a 5-3?

May 10, 2010, 1:36 AM

In the ACCCG, we only kept GT from scoring on one series with our predominantly 4-3 defense. A few weeks later, Iowa held GT to 144 yards and just one offensive score. I didn't see the Orange Bowl, but I heard that Iowa shut down GT with a dominant D-line in a 5-3 defense. I think we used to play 5-3 against the triple-option, back in the old days when I was in high school and everybody ran the triple-option. Clog the middle/stop the dive with three tough interior guys who also end up keeping the OLs off the LBs. Have the DEs step up into the backfield immediately and either force the QB back inside (toward the LBs) or force the QB to make an early (and risky) pitch deep in the backfield, giving the LBs & CBs a single, easy target to hone in on. Safety stays in pass coverage (to prevent an RB pass) unless the runner crosses the LOS. Then it comes down to tackling.

Well, I'm sure that Steele knows a million times better than me. But maybe not better than Iowa's DC. (Granted Iowa had more time to prepare-- which is the key to defending the rarely seen triple option.) It just seems that with all that D-line talent, we should be able to get a few stops against GT. Whatever Steele was doing in December didn't work.

Looking forward to a dominant D-line.

The best way to stop GT is with an O-line that can actually

May 10, 2010, 1:45 AM

run block and pass block.

achieve a first down on 3rd and short when THEY know we are gonna run it and continue to eat up clock.

giving the ball back to Ga Tech without scoring is what results in a loss.

gotta be able to score and run out the clock. and some tackling on defense is good too - but it would be better to keep the ball outta their hands.

null

No! Iowa stopped GT 11-of-12 possessions. CU only 1-of-9.

May 10, 2010, 1:29 PM

The solution isn't offense, it' defense.

In the Orange Bowl, GT had 12 possessions and Iowa stopped them on 11. (Iowa scored on just 3 of their 13 possessions.)

In the ACCCG, GT had 9 possessions and Clemson stopped them just once. (Clemson had 9 possessions and scored on 5.)

Iowa (and all of the teams who beat GT for the last two years) won by shutting down GT's running game with a great defense, not by getting into a shooting match.

DL and LB's - please hit Nesbitt or their other qb....

May 10, 2010, 9:37 AM

...every running play. If he is carrying out a running fake he can and should be hit. whether he has the ball or not.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic