Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Itoro Umoh  Coleman to be named Clemson’s women’s basketball coach
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 51

Mar 29, 2010, 10:36 AM

Coleman was an All-ACC point guard for Clemson from 1995-99 when she led Clemson to its only two ACC Championships in history. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

bad hire imo.***

Mar 29, 2010, 10:41 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why?***

Mar 29, 2010, 11:01 AM

her only asst coaching experience is under

Mar 29, 2010, 11:09 AM

our just fired HC and under a very very bad Penn St team who just lost 10 of their last 12 games.

seriously, we couldn't get a coach who has head coach experience and did well at a small school?

I know she's a tiger but dang, her mentors were pretty pathetic as head coaches.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WRONG! She was an assistant under Jim Davis.

Mar 29, 2010, 1:55 PM

She has been at Penn State for 3 years and was here for the 4 years prior to that.

Re: bad hire imo.***

Mar 29, 2010, 11:04 AM [ in reply to bad hire imo.*** ]

I know nothing about our womens BB except we are not a very good team. Do you have any info on who else was a potential coach and if there were any high profile coaches interested? As Clemson fans, we tend to see our programs as "Big Time." I'm trying to get a feel for the national perception/interest in CU athletics.

after a few more years

Mar 29, 2010, 11:36 AM

with tdp at the helm of our ath dept we won't have to worry about national perception - we will have totally faded into obscurity

I wouldn't call it a bad hire just yet....

Mar 29, 2010, 11:11 AM [ in reply to bad hire imo.*** ]

but it does appear the Athletic Department's decision was based largely on economics rather than experience. I do believe there were other more experienced candidates available.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

she may do well, but her coaching background is pretty

Mar 29, 2010, 11:13 AM

pathetic. Worked under 2 very poor coaches. If she wasn't a former tiger player, no way she even gets a sniff at the job.

I do not disagree with your assessment....

Mar 29, 2010, 11:21 AM

As I said, it appears something other than experience was the deciding factor with this hire. My guess is that it was money and her ties to Clemson and while she may do well, I wish the AD would stop experiementing with the womens basketball program and get someone in here with a proven track record. Apparently the AD didn't learn anything from this last exercise in futility. There were other better candidates available but I doubt the AD ever talked to any of them.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

not just econimics, gender?

Mar 29, 2010, 1:33 PM [ in reply to I wouldn't call it a bad hire just yet.... ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

Wow....faulty logic*****

Mar 29, 2010, 11:18 AM [ in reply to bad hire imo.*** ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: bad hire imo.***

Mar 29, 2010, 1:20 PM [ in reply to bad hire imo.*** ]

You did not like Dabo hire either!

Her family is an incredible story of strength. Hope their

Mar 29, 2010, 10:42 AM

smart enough to play this up. Talk about something that will recruit....

Congrats!***

Mar 29, 2010, 10:51 AM

I didn't think I could care any less, but I surprised myself***

Mar 29, 2010, 11:17 AM

Are our athletics this broke?

Mar 29, 2010, 11:27 AM

First of all, this could be the next Pat Summit for all I know, so I am not going to judge her just yet.

But for the past few years we will only hire 'cheap' coaches. What is the deal with that? Are we that dang broke?

No but it does demonstrate.....

Mar 29, 2010, 11:30 AM

the AD's lack on interest in or commitment to the womens basketball program.

Absolutely agree.

Mar 29, 2010, 12:39 PM

It appears he felt this was an irritant to him and hired the first Clemson name that popped up. I hope the best for her, but nothing in her coaching background gives us any indication that we will be successful. I am now not so sure that TDP is any better than Bobby Robinson.

TDP is clearly worse than Robinson.***

Mar 29, 2010, 9:06 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly!

Mar 29, 2010, 9:25 PM [ in reply to No but it does demonstrate..... ]

If our new coaches does well, then the AD looks like a genius. But that's a big IF at this point.

This was, to say the least, a very surprising hire for me.

I'm hoping she's a diamond in the rough.

From a fan standpoint, I will give her 4 years to turn things around.

With that said, welcome back, Coach!

good. who cares about women's basketball. spend the

Mar 30, 2010, 7:40 AM [ in reply to No but it does demonstrate..... ]

money on something else.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Itoro Umoh  Coleman to be named Clemson’s women’s basketball coach

Mar 29, 2010, 11:28 AM

Brilliant Hire. She can go head-to-head with Dawn Staley at usC and the most important thing: SHE'S A TIGER.
Give it time...she will win at Clemson.

Brilliant?

Mar 29, 2010, 12:42 PM

Thats a bit strong of a statement. USC is nothing to be going head to head with and feeling like we have accomplished something in womens basketball. I would rather we go with someone who has some kind of evidence behind them that they can win as a coach. Penn State is not a womens basketball program of note...maybe TDP thought he was hiring for Volleyball?

Another budget hire. Regardless of Dabo's success (now not

Mar 29, 2010, 11:31 AM

so cheap), this is right in line of how TDP operates. I hope he will not be here to replace her in 3-4 years.

Re: Another budget hire. Regardless of Dabo's success (now not

Mar 29, 2010, 11:39 AM

amen to that. hope she succeeds in spite of tdp

He's operating within our athletic department budget. As I

Mar 29, 2010, 12:46 PM [ in reply to Another budget hire. Regardless of Dabo's success (now not ]

mentioned in this thread:

http://www.thetigernet.com/forums/thread.jspa?threadID=829670

If we had a million dollars to spend on women's basketball, don't you think he would have hired a proven head coach from a top 20 program? He didn't, so we obviously don't.

Do some people actually think the athletic department is sitting on all this money, but refuses to spend it because they don't care about a certain sport or are just cheap?!?

Since we have a budget to stick to, the only alternative is to spend money on women's basketball instead of another sport (e.g., football, basketball, etc.). How many people upset about this hire would like to see that happen? My guess is none.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Maybe the concern...

Mar 29, 2010, 12:55 PM

...has more to do with the perception that the AD revenue has been spent elsewhere in Clemson rather than being used solely to support itself. ...Maybe, though I don't have that much knowledge on the subject.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Perception and excitement around a hire creates interest.

Mar 29, 2010, 1:16 PM [ in reply to He's operating within our athletic department budget. As I ]

An assistant from a successful program would do so...not so sure about this one.

I'm not sure any women's basketball hire will generate much

Mar 29, 2010, 1:22 PM

interest. I just don't think enough people care that much about it, other than pulling for them because they are a Clemson team.

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Well people cared when we had the best coach in Clemson

Mar 29, 2010, 3:47 PM

history coaching, not to mention a VERY fine man. They done him like dirt and that's what happened to the interest

You can get a proven head coach without taking one from...

Mar 29, 2010, 1:19 PM [ in reply to He's operating within our athletic department budget. As I ]

a top 20 school. I don't think its asking too much to want a proven head coach from Liberty, UNC-C, or Newberry.

I would have preferred that too. But were any of those

Mar 29, 2010, 1:23 PM

people interested in the job? How much money are we spending on our women's basketball coach these days? I honestly have no idea.

Agree with your assesment, but I do have this concern...

Mar 29, 2010, 4:11 PM [ in reply to He's operating within our athletic department budget. As I ]

I agree that the AD needs to stay within budget. I also think that this was a good hire. Itoro is a winner, and I believe she will get us back to being in the top 5 in the conference with in the next 4 years.

My only concern with the Athletic Department and its Budget is the amount of overhead that they carry. I recently looked at the staff directory. I counted more than 70 people/positions that do not work directly with the student athletes. I did not count folks that work directly with student aheletes (academic support, coaches, sports med., etc.). I just counted the folks like secretaries, Athelectic Directors, pilots, ticket personeal, etc. That amount of overhead seems really high even if the average employee makes only 30K a year, that adds up to more than 2 million in salary alone. Then you tack on bennefits and it probably shoots over 3 million.

I know we need some of these people to help make the department run, but do we really need them all? If so, fine. But after working for 3 different business it is my opinion that we just have way to much staff.

This line says it all ...

Mar 29, 2010, 12:29 PM

... "when she led Clemson to its only two ACC Championships in history."

Well, at least Coleman knows something about winning ACC titles at Clemson.

I remember her when she was on those teams. There was another girl, I think her name was Amy Goehren (spelling way off I'm sure) and also Tom Wideman's fiance was a guard.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Actually that wasn't Wideman's finacee. You are thinking

Mar 29, 2010, 3:34 PM

of Angie Causey and she dated Jamie Somnani who was a punter on the football team.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Um-oh.***

Mar 29, 2010, 12:43 PM

I personally like the hire.

Mar 29, 2010, 1:30 PM

She knows the tradition, she knows the school, she knows expectations, and most important, she knows how to win! She can't be ANY worse than McKinney was!

That's kind of the point.....

Mar 29, 2010, 1:47 PM

She's no better than who we had if you're not going to take steps to move the program forward, my make a change at all.

Re: I personally like the hire.

Mar 29, 2010, 3:37 PM [ in reply to I personally like the hire. ]

What expectations?

CONGRATS, UMOH!  

Mar 29, 2010, 2:53 PM

It's been a long time coming. I sincerely hope and pray you do well and help to turn our pathetic program around. I can understand to frustrations about getting a proven winner, but this is CU Ladies BBall, not Tennessee! We need young blood to revive the program. I was a Dabo doubter, but I have changed my stance. I hope you doubters out there give her a chance and do the same.

So my countdown was off....

Mar 29, 2010, 3:51 PM

But at least I had the countdown to the right hire.

VERY happy with his hire. This is the equivalent of hiring Dabo - someone with awesome potential that is early in their career and can connect with recruits. The difference between her and Dabo is that she is more likely to stay if she is highly successful because she is an alumnus of Clemson.

GO Itoro!
GO TIGERS!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Way to go and hire the best. Clemson sports hits a new low.***

Mar 29, 2010, 8:06 PM

Mar 29, 2010, 9:52 PM

I'll bet the other coaches around the ACC are licking their chops. Our new coach has never won a game as a head coach and has never even called a time out!

Mar 29, 2010, 10:04 PM

considering how poorly our girl's team has performed the last few years, I doubt that any other conference coach will change their opinion of our program nor preparation for the Lady Tigers.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They said the same thing about Dabo, and he led us to the

Mar 29, 2010, 11:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Itoro Umoh  Coleman to be named Clemson’s women’s basketball coach ]

Gator Bowl after TB was fired, and a division championship last year in his first full season as head coach. Just saying.

Mar 30, 2010, 6:32 AM

I want Coleman to succeed, and I'm all about hiring within the Clemson family when it makes sense. But I can't help the gut feeling that this was a hire of convenience and we're not going to get much out of it.

I hope I'm wrong, though! Best of luck, Coach Coleman!

Replies: 46
| visibility 51
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic