Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Mickey Plyler: It Was Never Really About The Cheeseburgers
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 2,840

Jan 8, 2010, 10:36 AM

December 30, 2009 is a day that was officially recognized by the City of Clemson and Clemson University as “Mac McKeown Day.” Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

...It Was About The Milkshakes***

Jan 8, 2010, 10:55 AM

Re: ...It Was About The Milkshakes***

Jan 8, 2010, 11:42 AM

You hadn't experienced Mac's until you were almost sneered at for ordering said milkshake. LOL

I always got questions about why I ate there when I could eat at my own restaurant, but it truly wasn't about the food and I've not even read Mickey's blog. It's always been one of those special places that true Clemson people understand.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Flaps? We don't need no stinkin' flaps, let it roll in hard and fast!

I always get the Chili-dogs. Better than Skins***

Jan 8, 2010, 12:11 PM

Yeah, but are they better than a Silent Out?***

Jan 8, 2010, 12:25 PM

not only that but the times of Mac Drive-in were better when

Jan 8, 2010, 12:27 PM

I was achild and used to go there after baseball games.

Re: Mickey Plyler: It Was Never Really About The Cheeseburgers

Jan 8, 2010, 2:35 PM

Grilled Cheeseburgers, enough said........

I like the patty melt with onions

Jan 8, 2010, 3:46 PM

the shakes were great as well.

Danny Ford made me a milkshake at Mac's in 2005***

Jan 8, 2010, 3:42 PM

Someone needs to contact Todd Blackledge***

Jan 8, 2010, 8:34 PM

Another legend - Col Rick Robbins

Jan 9, 2010, 11:54 AM

just ask any of the athletes that he helped get thru school back before in the "old days" - he was a great man and I am proud to have worked for him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It waas about the sweat tea!! (and the cheeseburgers)***

Jan 9, 2010, 4:45 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Re: It waas about the sweat tea!! (and the cheeseburgers)***

Jan 9, 2010, 5:09 PM

heck everytime I asked for a milkshake they told me the machine was broken.

"sweat tea" ??? sounds nasty***

Jan 12, 2010, 11:53 AM [ in reply to It waas about the sweat tea!! (and the cheeseburgers)*** ]

Re: Mickey Plyler: It Was Never Really About The Cheeseburgers

Jan 11, 2010, 10:32 AM

With great sadness I also reflect on Mac's passing.
I first went into Mac's in early 1978.....it was right down the hill from the old Striblings Trailer Park where I first lived as a Clemson student. I swear by the cheeseburger steak plate,...and Mac's friendly bantering.
I left Clemson in 1980 to move to VA, but always stop in for lunch while I am visiting the Clemson area. I had missed about 13 years and when i walked back in the door, Mac came down the counter, took my order, passed me a sweet tea, and asked where had I been as he hadn't seen me around. (I figured he did not even remember me, and with the thousands who always come by how could he?)
whether he did or did not remember me is not the point... the true essence of Mac, was of someone who made you feel welcome. My oldest son went to Clemson and my youngest wants to go "no where else", needless to say, we always stop in at Mac's and the first thing I always did was look around to see where Mac was....I'll still continue to order the CBS plate while in town and will definetely miss Mac, a Clemson legend to me.

Mac Was Fantastic

Jan 11, 2010, 2:31 PM

I ate at Mac's pretty regularly while I attended school at Clemson and loved it a little more every time I ate it.

There was a photograph of the '39 Cotton Bowl team by the front door. My roommate's grandpa played on that team and it was a bit of a ritual that we had to pick him out before we sat to eat.

Any time we brought young ladies with us to Mac's we had to explain to them, in no uncertain terms, that there was to be no chit-chat, they were to pick out what they wanted, always order on-menu and be ready to go when Mac met their gaze. There were a few broads we felt were too much of a liability, lose credibility in Mac's eyes was too disturbing to risk.

One of my favorite Mac moments took place after a night of imbibing on my end. While I'm a regular-sized guy, I can pack away vast amounts of food when motivated. I ordered a 2 double cheeseburgers, fries and a Coke. Two of Clemson's finest parked it next to me as I ordered and one of them said, "That sure is a lot of food, buddy." Mac stopped writing, stared down John Law and said, "He can handle it." That may have been one of the proudest moments in my undergrad experience if not life.

I'll really miss him.

Replies: 15
| visibility 2,840
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic