Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Looking ahead to 2010
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1,252

Looking ahead to 2010

Dec 28, 2009, 3:26 PM

At the Quarterback position: IMPROVEMENT* : Parker is likely to be better next year because of experience. *If Parker bolts for the MLB, and Korn transfers, then we may be in trouble, but Tajh Boyd may end up being even better. He will be the biggest question mark if this scenario happens.

At the running back position: SLIGHT DROP-OFF: Andre Ellington will be a better RUNNING BACK than CJ Spiller. Before you freak out...nobody will ever be as good as CJ in space or on special teams, but in terms of a running game RB, Ellington is slightly better.

A huge question mark is Jamie Harper. He had a horrible season until the last two games. Hopefully that proves to be the rule and not the exception. Either way, Ellington better be the CLEAR #1 back next year.

Roderick McDowell will get some carries and it will be nice to see if he can make a solid addition to a 3-way running back rotation.

At the Tight End position: DROP OFF : We are taking a HUGE hit in losing Palmer. The guy is by far our best receiver. He is Mr. Clutch. Dwayne Allen is a solid TE but Palmer was a leader and offers more than Dwayne thus far. Allen needs to step up. Our depth at this position will be a huge concern as well.

At the WR position: STAY THE SAME : On the one hand Xavier Dye may have a breakthrough, but we are losing Ford. Ford is our best WR by far. Bryce McNeal, DeAndre Hopkins, and Martavis Bryant (if we sign them) will pick up the slack though. We may be improved, but the jury is out, as Ford was a player.

O-Line- SLIGHT IMPROVEMENT - We are losing our best O-linemen in recent years, Thomas Austin. That said, 4 of 5 starters are coming back, and our depth will improve. Experience is the key here, as we know we have athletes.

On the D-line- SLIGHT IMPROVEMENT- While we are losing Alexander and Sapp, we still have our two solid DT's Thompson and Jenkins, while Daquan, Andre Branch and Goodman are back as well. Also, don't forget the red-shirted Kortnei Brown. We will be solid here again.

Linebackers- SLIGHT DROP OFF Kevin Alexander and Kavell Conner are gone which is huge, but Brandon Maye, is back. Scotty Cooper, Johnathan Willard and Corico Hawkins will have to step up. We have some young talent to fill in the depth, but we don't know how they will pan out yet. This will be a serious area of concern next year.

Defensive backfield- SLIGHT DROPP OFF or MAJOR DROP OFF- This one hinges on DeAndre. He is probably coming back, which means the best DB in the ACC is a Clemson Tiger, BUT, we are a man coverage team, and our two veteran corners are gone. However, they were not nearly as effective as man coverage guys as they were as zone corners. We have great talent to replace them but Maxwell is the only one who has proven he can fill in with little drop off. I don't know if they would consider moving Gilchrist over or not, as we will be absolutely LOADED at safety next year if DeAndre stays, but if not, Xavier Brewer and Coty Sensabaugh would have to step up at CB. If Corner wasn't such a crucial position, I would say we had no drop off, but we rely heavily on shutting down receivers with man coverage.

Special teams/ Returns/ TREMENDOUS DROP OFF- Um.. this one is obvious.

Special teams/ coverage/ STAY THE SAME/ unless someone nabs or Spec teams coordinator.

Special teams/ kicking game- Who knows?

Coaching-- IMPROVEMENT -- live and learn, our staff seems solid, they improve again I say.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great post man

Dec 28, 2009, 3:36 PM

agree across the board....we need a WR to be a field stretcher and they all need to work the middle of the field with hands and being physical, not to mention WR's that block....i think this is the making of the best DL in years in DV...Harper needs to be constantly challenged so that his confidence and determination catch up to his obvious physical skills/size/strength. Diehl needs to be used in two back sets to clear holes....we're looking good for next year to me.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Harper didn't have a horrible season he was the #3 rb......

Dec 28, 2009, 3:45 PM

and ellington isn't a better rb than spiller. spiller isn't just some scatback/return guy. you must not have seen much of spiller this season because he got 1,145 yards rushing in the regular season taking every other series off. Spiller is the number one rated rb in the upcoming nfl draft. So you just lost a little credibility right there.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, he had a terrible season save the last two games.

Dec 28, 2009, 3:49 PM

He ran soft, his yards per rush average was around 2, he never delivered blows, and was totally ineffective. Dabo would let him run, he would get a yard and then Andre would come in and get 6 or 7. Harper was not just overshadowed, he played poorly.

That said... he absolutely kicked ### in our last two games, and I think he will play like that next year. I think he will have a wonderful career from here on out, but to ignore his poor play for the first three quarters of the season is being WAY off.

Harper started running better after the Maryland game

Dec 28, 2009, 5:20 PM

not just the last 2 games. What about those key short yardage runs at Miami or the big game at NC St. He learned how to run in college this year, as he started lowering his pads and quit dancing. He did not have a horrible year.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And comparing Ellington to Spiller is definately hard to do

Dec 28, 2009, 3:53 PM [ in reply to Harper didn't have a horrible season he was the #3 rb...... ]

but Ellington will have less 60 yard touchdowns than Spiller, at RB, he will have less TFL's too because he hits the hole much harder than CJ did. That is why his yards per carry was so much higher, he gained 4 or 5 many times when CJ would have lost one or gained 0.

CJ was an amazing athlete, and a GREAT RB, I am not coming anywhere close to knocking him. He's one of my favorite Tigers of all-time, but Andre is going to be better between the tackles if he keeps it up. He runs like a Senior already. Just wait and see, Ellington will be an NFL guy too.

Disagree.....a little

Dec 28, 2009, 3:56 PM

Great post. I also think that the defensive backfield hinges on whether McDaniel comes back, but not as much as you. For some reason, Clemson has always been able to produce decent DB's.

I think that with the pressure from the D-line coming, teams will have a tough time throwing the ball for big yards. Those plays take time to develop, and I don't see us giving them a lot of time to throw.

Should be a great year. Although it doesn't mean much, announcers last night sure seemed to be pretty high on our Tigers for next year.

They also said Ellington was

Dec 28, 2009, 4:51 PM

slightly faster than Spiller, which they based on him being lighter.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You serious Clark?******

Jan 7, 2010, 10:36 PM

Harper looked really good, and I look forward to

Dec 28, 2009, 4:08 PM

seeing our RB's caught from behind again

(though it will be after 15-20 yd gains!)

;)

Corporations are people. So is Soylent Green.

Nice post - my 2 cents

Dec 28, 2009, 4:45 PM

Hard to say what Parker will do, but I sure hope he comes back for 1 more year at least. We could work Boyd in next year and recruit two QB's for following year to back up Boyd.

We really need help at TE. Napier showed how much using the TE improves the offense and we need to keep doing this.

I think Jaron Brown will be a factor at WR. He's got all the moves, just needs to get more reps to learn how to block and get open better. One of the freshmen will step up also.

Gilchrest will move to CB if DMac stays. We may end up better at DB than this year.

LB is an obvious concern. You'd think Justin Parker could see a great opportunity to be second string the minute he walks on campus.

Unfortunately, next year's schedule is harder than this year, so we better be good.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1,252
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic