Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson Ranked #16 in Collegiate Baseball Preseason Poll
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1

Dec 21, 2009, 11:07 AM

Tigers earn a preseason top-25 ranking for the 22nd consecutive season. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Germans***

Dec 21, 2009, 11:10 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How can this be? The AOC said our baseball program

Dec 21, 2009, 11:12 AM

had been ruined.....

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

With only one weekend starter returning...

Dec 21, 2009, 11:31 AM

That ranking isn't worth the bandwith it consumes.

I expect a struggle of a season, though not quite as bad as 2008 (a weekend rotation of Harman, Weismann and Sarratt/Brady/Haselden doesn't concern me as much as entering the season with Ryan Hinson, D.J. Mitchell and pray for rain).

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Pitching is a concern, but I think we should be pretty solid

Dec 21, 2009, 12:04 PM

We return the majority of the fielders from the team last year. Aside from Ben Paulsen (who will be missed) we return 7 of the 8 field positions. Richie Schaffer, the 1st basemen out of Charlotte, is supposed to be a big bat and hopefully can pick up some of the slack caused by losing Paulsen

My guess for the starting lineup:
1B Richie Shaffer FR
2B Mike Freeman SR
SS Brad Miller SO
3B Jason Stolz SO
LF Jeff Schaus JR
CF Wilson Boyd JR
RF Kyle Parker/Addison Johnson/Chris Epps
DH Chris Epps JR

Like you said Harmon will be #1, and he's not a wow guy, but he is consistent. Weisman, I think will end up being our top guy and may overtake Harmon as the season goes.

Some thought Brady was the top freshman pitcher last fall, better than Weismann or Dwyer. But something just went wrong with his control when the spring season started. If he can get that back, he has the potential to be a great one.

Haeselden and Sarratt are similar to Harmon, as they are more "grinders" than elite arms, but both are reliable.

I'd say overall, I don't see much of a drop off from last year. And if some of the freshmen from last year (Miller, Stolz, Brady Weismann) step up, Clemson could get back to the CWS

Another returning player that will be a factor...

Dec 21, 2009, 12:16 PM

is John Hinson. His back is finally healthy and he had an outstanding fall. Josh Thrailkill is finally healthy and should be a factor. There is depth everywhere so whoever is on the field will be there because he's earned it.

Have you heard anything about Seth Neely?

Dec 21, 2009, 12:22 PM

Where have they been using him this fall?

He is a shortstop...

Dec 21, 2009, 12:29 PM

and got hurt during the Thursday Orange and Purple game and missed the rest of the weekend. We'll see how he's doing when practice begins in January.

Re: Pitching is a concern, but I think we should be pretty solid

Dec 21, 2009, 4:26 PM [ in reply to Pitching is a concern, but I think we should be pretty solid ]

Probably not far off. You left out Lamb, who will play a good bit of outfield and probably get some time at first as well. I don't think you'll ever see Epps in the outfield. Pure DH. The biggest problem will be where to put Hinson. You could see him platooning some at first or third. You'll probably see Johnson more in CF than RF because he's probably the best defensive OF on the team.

Some tough choices as far as where to play everyone, but that's a good problem to have.

> My guess for the starting lineup:
> 1B Richie Shaffer FR
> 2B Mike Freeman SR
> SS Brad Miller SO
> 3B Jason Stolz SO
> LF Jeff Schaus JR
> CF Wilson Boyd JR
> RF Kyle Parker/Addison Johnson/Chris Epps
> DH Chris Epps JR
>
>

One returning starter and minus one pitching coach***

Dec 21, 2009, 12:08 PM [ in reply to With only one weekend starter returning... ]

Re: One returning starter and minus one pitching coach***

Dec 21, 2009, 12:12 PM

pitching will be fine. good freshmen and a couple of redshirts. our everyday lineup will be awesome.

Re: One returning starter and minus one pitching coach***

Dec 21, 2009, 12:15 PM [ in reply to One returning starter and minus one pitching coach*** ]

We have upgraded at pitching coach. If you don't believe that ask one of the pitchers. The main problem with Brady last year was the pitching coach. He will be a lot better this year.

Look for some of the freshmen, mainly Leone and Firth, to make significant contributions. A couple of others may also get signficant work.

I expect a great season....

Dec 21, 2009, 12:18 PM [ in reply to With only one weekend starter returning... ]

We will be strong....especially our pitching

Orange Googlers Unite

Another even higher ranking...

Dec 21, 2009, 12:29 PM

from Ping....

http://www.pingbaseball.com/rankings/2010/clemson.php

12. Clemson Tigers (44-22)
A pair of pitching draftees who chose the pros over a return to campus would have increased the Tigers chances of returning to Omaha for a twelfth time, but the Tigers will field another quality team nonetheless. Their offense lost their leading producer, but the rest of the starting lineup remains nearly intact. Jeff Schaus (.320, 13, 50) and Mike Freeman (.328, 4, 44) will lead the bat attack, while Casey Harman (7-3, 3.95) and Scott Weismann (3-1, 1.23) will do their darndest to keep runners off the basepaths. (prev - next)

Orange Googlers Unite

Pitching may take a hit, but it won't be catastrophic.

Dec 21, 2009, 2:28 PM [ in reply to With only one weekend starter returning... ]

Also, we will likely see better hitting, much better fielding and better performance in clutch situations. The team is largely in tact. I think we are looking at another top 15 END of the season ranking this year.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson Ranked #16 in Collegiate Baseball Preseason Poll

Dec 21, 2009, 1:53 PM

Now if we can just hold up our end of the bargain.

GO TIGERS!

hopefully we can finally sweep the coots this year***

Dec 21, 2009, 8:36 PM

Re: Clemson Ranked #16 in Collegiate Baseball Preseason Poll

Jan 19, 2010, 2:57 PM

How hard is it to get tickets to the Clemson/Carolina baseball game? Will it be difficult to get a few tickets for the 3 game series this season? Thanks for any help with this...........

How have we "earned" a preseason ranking?***

Jan 19, 2010, 2:59 PM

Replies: 18
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic