Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson offense stuggles again in stunning loss to Terps
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 53
| visibility 1

Oct 3, 2009, 7:24 PM

Even taking on one of the worst defenses in the league wasn’t a salve for the wounded Clemson offense, which scored just one offensive touchdown for the second straight week. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Again, sorry, but why is it stunning? Stunning events are

Oct 3, 2009, 7:28 PM

things that are extremely rare, at least that's my understanding of it. Not things that happen with regularity.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Again, sorry, but why is it stunning? Stunning events are

Oct 3, 2009, 10:33 PM

well said. nearly two decades of regularity.

is that a stool joke?***

Oct 4, 2009, 9:54 AM

Re: Again, sorry, but why is it stunning? Stunning events are

Oct 5, 2009, 8:41 AM [ in reply to Again, sorry, but why is it stunning? Stunning events are ]

This is just a very poorly coached team!!!!!!!!!!

"We will be fine on offense"?!?! Hey Dabo, have you been

Oct 3, 2009, 7:36 PM

watching the games? I would think not based on that statement. You better change something, and quick, cause the crap that you're trying on offense ain't working.

Stunning was losing last year to MD at home. This was not

Oct 3, 2009, 7:41 PM

stunning. Clemson fans are arrogant and ignorant on the series with both Ga Tech and Maryland and why people continue to believe we are going to "whip" these teams on the road is AMAZING to me.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Stunning was losing last year to MD at home. This was not

Oct 3, 2009, 7:56 PM

"Clemson fans are arrogant and ignorant"? Really? All of them or just everyone but YOU? Or are you just a coot in disguise? Last time I checked, we led the series with Maryland 30-25 and last time in College Park, we won 30-17 in a game that wasn't that close. Mark Twain said "It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than to open it and remove all doubt."
Same goes for your fingers.

Oct 3, 2009, 10:19 PM

yes, maybe clemson does lead the series with maryland, but history doesn't mean a whole lot when you're not doing anything in the present. kind of like army and navy football: all they have is history. and it's pretty much all clemson has. the 1980s are ancient history.

Oct 3, 2009, 10:28 PM [ in reply to Re: Stunning was losing last year to MD at home. This was not ]

Danged good post! I pointed you for that. I am so PO'd about the way our offense is playing, and I am drinking my way through it, but I can't stand idiots who try to be fans. I am so disappointed with our OL not being able to run the ball at all, and with our OC running Spiller to the short side of the field repeatedly when any fool knows that with enough room, there is nobody who can keep up with him, or with Jacoby running bubble screens, for crying out loud, and with offensive linemen who are too dumb to remember the snap count or who can't block without holding, or with a QB who is so one dimensional that all he can do is throw it ( most of the time it is not even close to a receiver, and when it is , the receiver will invariable drop it), or with an O coordinator who seems to have no clue that he has all the talent and speed that he never will have again and is wasting it ... Dang I'm frustrated, but I am a Tiger, and I pray Dabo doesn't have the loyalty to a fault problem TB had. I hope he gives WK another chance. At least he will pull it down and run it and give himself up to get to the chains. And today, we needed a real OC, and it showed. Maybe tomorrow this all will seem better. Maybe.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not fan arrogance. Vegas had Clemson as a 13-point favorite.

Oct 3, 2009, 10:29 PM [ in reply to Stunning was losing last year to MD at home. This was not ]

Typically UMD is a tough team for Clemson, but they shouldn't have been THIS year. UMD lost a LOT of talent last year and had very few returners. Clemson had far, far more talent than UMD. Every independent pundit and the collective wisdom of sport betters (not necessarily Clemson fans) was that Clemson would win by about 13 points. This was a major upset. Clemson fans are rightfully upset and disgusted with the coaches and TDP for hiring Swinney.

Upsets can happen. Washington beat a far more talented USC. But Clemson's offense has been inept, and the defense is hot and cold. This team has too much player talent to be this bad. Does anybody really doubt that Clemson would be better if we had a top-tier coaching staff?

Re: Stunning was losing last year to MD at home. This was n

Oct 4, 2009, 7:56 PM [ in reply to Stunning was losing last year to MD at home. This was not ]

We have superior talent to Maryland. It's frustrating to watch. Maryland tried to give us the game numerous times.

Re: Clemson offense stuggles again in stunning loss to Terps

Oct 3, 2009, 7:57 PM

How about I sum it up. We don't need this whole article. Maryland Sucks. They are a pathetic team and Clemson is worse than them. If Parker is the best QB we have, then Korn must really be horrific. Napier should go get a job coaching high school. Dabo is a good coach but he has surrounded himself (with the exception of Steele) with bad ones. Maryland tried their best to give this game to Clemson but the play calling wouldn't have it. It was obvious on the last three Clemson possessions they were coaching to tie instead of win. The coaches showed on those drives they have absolutely zero confidence in their QB.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 3, 2009, 8:33 PM

I totally agree with you but not so sure about Dabo's actual coaching ability. He doesn't appear to adjust well on the "fly" and I just don't believe he has the experience required @ this level. He seems like a cool guy but I just don't believe today. This team perhaps has as much pure talent as any Clemson team I recall but can't even beat a horrible MD team that basically handed the game to Clemson late. Is Parker really the issue or Dabo's inability to coach? He's been out-coached how many times thus far? Enlighten me please...I'm baffled!

Oct 3, 2009, 9:19 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson offense stuggles again in stunning loss to Terps ]

what do you expect. Clemson has a freshman QB, who is playing as one and the youngest OC in college football. I am not an OC but with the stable of backs that Clemson is blessed with they should be running a power I and runn the QB some... "Danny ball"... good defense, which we have, and "3 yards and a cloud of dust" grind it out offense... that is Clemson type ball

Eventually, CDS, taking the blame for Clemson's losses will

Oct 3, 2009, 8:00 PM

no longer be seen as the right thing to do. Nor will it be enough to retain your position.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

but it will satisfy all the people on TNet that talked about

Oct 3, 2009, 9:39 PM

Tommy Bowden never taking responsibility for a team's loss. Well, at least for a little while. (I got so tired of hearing that crap).

You're right though, eventually, everyone will get tried of hearing Dabo's reason's for loss. Face it, it doesn't matter what you say after a loss. It doesn't change the outcome.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Has anyone suggested it is?***

Oct 5, 2009, 6:46 AM [ in reply to Eventually, CDS, taking the blame for Clemson's losses will ]

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Oct 3, 2009, 8:42 PM

TIME TO CHANGE OFFENSIVE COORDINATORS AND PLAY CALLING. THE NAPIER EXPERIMENT IS NOT WORKING!! KEEP HIM AS A RECRUITER, BUT GIVE THE JOB TO SOMEONE ELSE. WE CAN NOT WAIT 7 MORE GAMES TO MAKE A CHANGE!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 4, 2009, 7:56 PM

YOU HIT IT ON THE HEAD.... I can call better plays from the stands. Get Spiller the ball downfield or give him running room ... Hit Jacoby on a post. throw 7 & 8 yard quick outs at the marker.... Let ellington and harper kit the line after you fake it to spilller and watch them get 15 yard up thim middle. ###### Son , wake up !!! Go watch the stuff Miami's OC calls and take notes Napier... You have the talent , use it the right way.... Now is the time to wake up, Its not too late and you owe it to spiller who is bustin his butt right now...Thank You Spiller

I am All In!!

Oct 3, 2009, 9:47 PM

No. really, I couldn't be more out. We suck so bad right now that we actually blow. We basically just lost to a 1-aa team and it makes me wish I didn't even have espnU. We are clearly a more talented team than the terps, so coaching must be the reason we lost. Everyone kept defending dabo's lack of experience and inability to coach by saying, "Oh, he's a great motivator" and such. Well where was the motivation Saturday? I didn't see any spark from the offense at all. And if we were going to hire an unproven wr coach to run our program, wouldn't you expect the receivers to be at least halfway decent?

I'm no rocket scientist but the best all-purpose player in the country is on OUR team!! HELLO??! Why be shy about getting CJ the ball 50 times a game? Literally. 25 carries, 15 designed passes (not including dropoffs and checkdowns), and have him on every kick and punt return. He chose to come back for his senior season and he HAD to know what kind of talent we had returning, so why not ride him? There is a very realistic possibility that we'd be 0-5 without him and #6.

I could rant all day long but in summary, it is clear that the hiring of CDS has set our program back. How much depends on how long we keep him. Oh and TDP needs to go too. I don't know what other proof we need of that.

Hey TDP. How's that novice head coach experiment working?***

Oct 3, 2009, 10:06 PM

Re: Hey TDP. How's that novice head coach experiment working?***

Oct 3, 2009, 10:32 PM

Not too good! Uh Huh.

Hey Dabo. How's that novice OC experiment working?***

Oct 3, 2009, 10:08 PM

Re: Hey Dabo. How's that novice OC experiment working?***

Oct 3, 2009, 10:31 PM

I'm okay with Dabo as head coach. I see lots of good qualities in him, but the OC and OL coaches need to go quickly.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 4, 2009, 8:03 AM

I agree. I'm fine with Dabo. But we really need an OC. Take a look at what an experienced OC has done for Miami. Whipple kept OU off balance all night with great play calling all night.

Oct 4, 2009, 8:39 AM [ in reply to Re: Hey Dabo. How's that novice OC experiment working?*** ]

AMEN! How do we do this? We haven't had an OL coach in years.

Oct 4, 2009, 12:31 AM

What offense? There is no offense.What offense we have is offensive to me.However,I can't really say that the offense is offensive since we don't have an offense.It's a "Catch-22" dilemma.

Maybe..until it becomes an offense it should be a suckffense***

Oct 4, 2009, 12:44 AM

Oct 4, 2009, 6:06 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson offense stuggles again in stunning loss to Terps ]

Maybe we need an offensive CZAR? It's evident that CDS and his pal Napier can't get it done.

Oct 4, 2009, 1:29 AM

Maybe its just me, but that one touchdown pass for maryland hit the ground. He trapped it but the replay was inconclusive enough to change it. It was plain as ###### day! Now our fumble by Parker was conclusive enough to overturn the call on the field. Doesn't sound right to me.
I know the O played like sh!t but that touchdown call cost us the game.

GO TIGERS!!!

Oct 4, 2009, 8:54 AM

I agree with your opinion of the call. It definitely hit the ground. The problem is that happened earlier and we had so many chances to win after that, I'm not sure it was the reason we lost. We had six down to get the kicker another 10 yards and we got zero. That's right zero in six downs in a critical situation. This is against one of the worst defenses in the ACC. I am not talking about scoring a TD with 2 chances from the 30 which most teams might do, I am taling about 10 stinking yards. The difference between 38 and 48 yards is hugh for a kicker.Even with the call I am sure we would of found a way to lose.

Oct 5, 2009, 12:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson offense stuggles again in stunning loss to Terps ]

Agreed to a certain extent... if they would have settled for a field goal we would have won... but when you get 3 chances to atleast tie or win the game in the last few minutes... you gotta do something. And we simply couldnt... so we didnt deserve to win the game!

Oct 4, 2009, 5:25 AM

This was no stunning loss. As I have said before. Clemson teams, for the past 11 years, have been and continues to be coached "It is ok to lose". There is no winning mentatlty. No discipline. No cohesiveness! No desire! No drive! As one rock band once sang, "Say hello to the new boss, same as the old boss." The Tommy Bowden ers goes ever on!

Oct 4, 2009, 5:56 AM

It's the same story year after year! Poor coaching,poor preparation and the same old,old excuses.We had our chance to get a real coach about a year ago and we blew another 3-4 years on Dabo! I wish I could quit watching this poor excuse for a football team,but I can't.I suffer the same pain year after year!

Oct 4, 2009, 7:12 AM

let's show up and support the program...still a long way to go...and if things don't get better, then "just wait till next year..." we'll turn a corner for sure then...(I sound like a stinkin Coot!!!)...losing to a terrible terp team is just plain awful...awful...

Oct 4, 2009, 8:11 AM

I have to disagree with Dabo. This offense will not be fine. The offensive line continues to allow sacks (4 on Satdy), the receivers block poorly and continue to drop passes and run wrong routes, our young QB continues to make the same mistakes. All of this points to poor offensive coaching. We need better receivers but nothing can be done about that except through recruiting. This offense may improve a little, but our offensive coordinator is in over his head and our o line coaches have done nothing to show that they can help this o line get better. Nope, the offense may show slight improvement, but "being fine" ain happening this year.

Oct 4, 2009, 8:35 AM

If you check the record I think Fridge has won 6 of the last 9 games. In almost all of these games MD was the underdog. Until something changes I think we should expect this instead of being shocked!

Oct 4, 2009, 9:50 AM

Well, as I said before on my one and only post, its the S O S. We all get pumped, believe the BS and then get pricked back to reality when that bubble burst yet again. The story(s) the same, just different people. Forget the top 25 defenses, that don't wash. MD STILL has a losing record even after beating an inept CU.

Oct 4, 2009, 10:11 AM

What we see, is what we get, when HC keeps friends - BS & others, instead of hiring the best coaches for the job! Next year will be more of the SOS with excuses CJ & Ford gone! What other schools have tried to hire BS from us? HC tells us he is going to play the best 11. Well we need to hire the best coaches & stop this, ON THE TRAINING!

Oct 4, 2009, 1:45 PM

Like everyone I am PO. Alot of great observations on this site but the "change the coach" cry is not what we are all about. I graduated from CU when home field and all orange jerseys made a difference, nobody wanted to come to the Valley to play us and it hasn't been that way since the late 80's - not going to change in a season. Let's stay behind the team and I bet nobody is taking this harder than Dabo. He has ALOT of work to do. I have some fan observations:
1- The no huddle sux, especially inside the 20 - get in a huddle and let somebody be a leader!
2- Parker and Korn can run - call their number more to keep defenses honest from our spread formations.
3- Throw to the TE in almost every series. Way underutilized.
Finally read these message boards! Sometimes the fans can tell you something you can't see or are too close to see!

How bad are we?

Oct 4, 2009, 2:52 PM

Maryland gets blown out by Cal.
Maryland wins in OT against James Madison
Maryland loses to Middle Tennessee State
Maryland loses to Rutgers
Maryland beats Clemson

How humiliating. It hurts to say, but we are one of the worse football programs in the nation at this moment. I do not think we will be able to be Wake or a bad FSU. Do we stand a chance against Miami? I doubt it. Hell, right now I'm crossing my fingers hoping Coastal Carolina won't embarrass us.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How bad are we?

Oct 4, 2009, 8:23 PM

Understand your frustration - simple explanation is that we were double digit favorites, Vegas doesn't usually get it that wrong except in our case it seems.

It is still college football and anything can happen. Since this season looks a lot like the last 5 seasons I expect we will play better since all expectations have been crushed for this team, they are now playing for pride and we seem to do better when we don't read our own hype. Spiller may be the best all around athlete to ever play at CU, too bad he won't get the chance to play for any kind of championship in college.

We need an offensive line and we need to huddle the %^&* team in the red zone - NOBODY TAKES CHARGE IN THE RED ZONE!

Oct 4, 2009, 6:46 PM

The Napier experiment has FAILED. Are we ready for another 10 years of flimsy excuses. Ditch Billy NOW. I'm already planning how to spend my IPTAY dues next year, since it won't be going to Clemson.

TDP fired Bowden after he went 3-3. Dabo is 2-3. Is it time?

Oct 4, 2009, 6:55 PM

At this rate, it's hard to see Clemson doing better than 4-4 in the ACC. It's hard to imagine that there aren't at least 2 more ACC losses on the schedule.

Frankly, at this point, it's hard to imagine Clemson beating SoCar with their tough defense.

6-6 is looking realistic.

If Dabo goes, 6-6 or 7-5, does TDP actually keep him around for another year?

I just don't expect top tier recruits to come to Clemson(and I expect many of the current verbal commits to bail out) if Clemson goes 6-6 or 7-5 and Dabo stays.

Dabo really needs to win out (and go a Bowden-esque 9-3), but I just don't see it.

The sky is falling.

What message would it show recruits it Dabo and Co. were

Oct 4, 2009, 7:41 PM

summarily dismissed after this season? How many more recruits would bail out? (just like last year) On that note, everyone who called for the "big name coach"..who would you have rather had? I'm really curious. There weren't a lot of "big names" available that I can recall.

Re: What message would it show recruits it Dabo and Co. were

Oct 4, 2009, 8:37 PM

We don't need another coach, we need this staff to step it up. Dabo understands better than us how accountable he is and I would expect him to pull no punches in finding the right staff if that's what it takes. He recruited most of our top tier talent, he is still the key to our future.

Another coach can't make the offensive line any better overnight and a new game plan would take new players and 5 years - I prefer to support Dabo and put pressure on him to make us better - we need something to feel good about.

Dabo recruited well under Bowden. Not after Bowden.

Oct 5, 2009, 3:40 AM

Dabo was a great recruiter when Clemson was going 9-3 or 8-4 under Bowden. After Bowden left (and Dabo went 4-3) recruiting dropped significantly. Coincidence? Other factors? Maybe. Maybe not.

It doesn't take 5 years to implement a new game-plan and improve an offense. Look at what Mark Whipple has done at Miami in in his first season. The clever plays that Miami runs, and the way that they keep defenses (except maybe VT) off balance is a thing of beauty. It looks nothing like Clemson. They run plays that Napier has never thought of. Whipple has completely transformed that offense. Then again, Whipple is a seasoned vet with NFL experience. We've got a newbie HC and OC.

Re: Dabo recruited well under Bowden. Not after Bowden.

Oct 5, 2009, 9:48 PM

and Whipple never squeezes the charmin!! LOL (a little humor amidst a bad situation)

Peterson, Patterson, Leach, Kiffin, Sarkisian, Chizik, etc.

Oct 5, 2009, 4:06 AM [ in reply to What message would it show recruits it Dabo and Co. were ]

That's just a partial list of the big names that TDP could have hired to be the head coach of a prominent football school like Clemson.

If we go 6-6, fire Dabo, and hire Chris Peterson, would we do better on recruiting? If I were a recruit, I'd rather play for a coach with a history of winning with exciting teams.

For the last couple years when I called for Bowden to be fired, many people (apparently like you) said that we shouldn't do it because it would hurt recruiting. My position then was the same then as it is now.
A) If you have to take a one-year hit on recruiting in order to create long-term success, do it. It's better to have one mediocre recruiting class than to have several years of mediocre football.
B) Besides, a big-name coach can draw and keep recruits, so a coaching switch may not cause a big recruiting hit. Kiffin did pretty well recruiting on his way in.

I'm not necessarily suggesting that TDP fires Swinney. I'm suggesting that TDP was foolish to hire a newbie coach like Swinney (and to let Swinney hire newbies like Napier and Jeff Scott for critical positions). And I'm curious how bad it would have to get before TDP would fire Swinney.

Re: Peterson, Patterson, Leach, Kiffin, Sarkisian, Chizik, etc.

Oct 5, 2009, 9:47 AM

Sure, we need a posturing, excuse-making, rapist-recruiting crybaby like Lane Kiffin or a posturing, excuse-making, losing slob like Mike Leach. Jeezus. You people would've fired Danny Ford in 1980 the first time he lost a game.

How many people out there leaving messages have either played or coached football at any level beyond church league, just out of curiosity? A lot of you sound like the football version of the teabaggers.

Do you think that Dabo was THE best choice & will fix it?

Oct 5, 2009, 12:57 PM

Lane Kiffin is 2-3 with losses to UF, UCLA, & Auburn. He's a loser. Dabo is 2-3 with losses GT, TCU, & UMD, and he's a winner? Kiffin let a kid on the team who (when he was 13) was convicted of assisting a rape of his cousin. Dabo let McDaniel skate as an adult team member. Kiffin bad. Dabo good.

Mike Leach is a loser? Leach went 11-2 last year, leading Texas Tech to a Big-12 co-championship and #12 final AP ranking. Are you talking about the same Mike Leach that beat Clemson 55-15 in the Tangerine Bowl in 2002?

And you fail to mention the other coaches that I listed.

It's nice to see that you're objective.

I played football in high school and college. But I don't think you have to play football to see what's wrong with Clemson.

Well it might show that we dont accept losing, winning is

Oct 5, 2009, 12:56 PM [ in reply to What message would it show recruits it Dabo and Co. were ]

the only acceptable outcome.

Oh Holy Cow!

Oct 4, 2009, 11:28 PM [ in reply to TDP fired Bowden after he went 3-3. Dabo is 2-3. Is it time? ]

This is getting ridiculous! I agree that we definitely have some OC questions and we need receivers to catch balls. I think the OL has made progress in pass protection but are not up to speed on run blocking. Our WR's can't block worth a crap. However I don't think the sky is falling. The year before the National championship, that team went 6-5. Not that I'm saying we're going to jump up there but it proves the point that things can turn around. Every year we all get sucked in to drinking the Kool Aid that THIS year will be it which makes the fall that much worse. I'm guilty as well. I will say that if Dabo needs to make a change--he will. Don't know if that could work during a season. These guys are not playing to win but playing not to lose. We NEED a KILLER instinct!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 53
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic