Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Swinney: I believe in what we are doing
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 64
| visibility 1

Sep 27, 2009, 9:06 PM

Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney said that he feels like he has a team that is on the cusp of winning games against good teams and ranked opponents. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sunshine pumper.

Sep 27, 2009, 9:15 PM

:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Haha. Better than a gas pumper . . . Right?***

Sep 27, 2009, 10:49 PM

Re: You are what i call moron with a heavy cloud over your

Sep 28, 2009, 9:55 AM [ in reply to sunshine pumper. ]

whole life. Take off that blind fold and let whats real shine in. To call Dabo a sunshine pumper when he is tring to make our guys the best he can.He is a first year HC that is doing a desent job with what he has to work with. HIS TEAM DID NOT QUIT, and you can not say that about your self. IF Parker was'nt a first year starter, we win that game by 10 points. He will get better !!! But that want matter to you, you will still come on here with tour negative comments.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

check your meter...

Sep 28, 2009, 9:58 AM

pretty sure he was joking...

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree - we are more physical and tougher. I think we are

Sep 27, 2009, 9:25 PM

doing a lot of the right things and I like a lot of the "intangibles" I see. I think we are better.

At some point though, there is one important thing we've got to do or all of that won't matter - WIN these tough games.

Of course, Dabo knows that. I'm all in and I'm pulling for him.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

I want to go on permanent record right now...

Sep 27, 2009, 9:26 PM

Dabo Swinney will be the coach to take Clemson football to the next level. I could try to explain it to a lot of you people, but at the end of the day, this is a message board. So in conclusion, I'm all in.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I believe this too

Sep 27, 2009, 9:32 PM

But right now Im not sure that Napier will be the OC to take us their. Dabo has made us a tougher and more passionate team, and that is a big part of the Head coaches job. He is also an offensive coach so he isnt happy with the offense right now Im sure. If things dont get better I dont think Napier will be here next year

where's this toughness that you speak of???????

Sep 27, 2009, 9:34 PM

is it when we are 4th & 1 and our 6-3 315 pound linemen can't get a push to get a first down????.......for a "tough" team we sure do SUCK in the trenches (oline).

Our O-line actually played well against a good defense this

Sep 27, 2009, 9:45 PM

week. I have called the O-line out several times but they did play tough this week. Also the half of our team collectively known as the defense is as tough as h*ll. If you can't see the D is tough then you need to re-evaluate the situation.

the defense is excellent......

Sep 27, 2009, 9:47 PM

but unlike the "good ole days" you do have to have a little more than that.

and all that defense is thanks to STEELE

dabo hired one good coordinator and one bad.........ya gotta have both.

Re: Our O-line actually played well against a good defense t

Sep 27, 2009, 9:51 PM [ in reply to Our O-line actually played well against a good defense this ]

You think our defense is playing good right now? They gave up almost 400 yards to a team that is not known for their offense but for their defense. GT did the same to this team. Anybody that we have played with a pulse has put up big #s against this d.

yes but you only give up 14 points.......

Sep 27, 2009, 9:54 PM

and 7 of them off of a fluke play..........you should win if you have a pulse on offense........and we don't.

And they were doing it without Hairston.***

Sep 28, 2009, 1:12 PM [ in reply to Our O-line actually played well against a good defense this ]

Their good defensive front gave up a 100 yard rushing

Sep 28, 2009, 3:51 PM [ in reply to where's this toughness that you speak of??????? ]

performance to our offense which hasn't happened for a while. I'll bet defensive genius Gary Patterson probably wasn't happy with it either considering the conditions were favorable to them. Considering their defense is good (very good) and have held teams like Oklahoma to less rushing yards than they did the tigers on Saturday you could at least be realistic. The line isn't great, but they did perform better against a reputable defense without maybe the best o-lineman on the team in Hairston. Jerry Hughes with no sacks is not something to dismiss, and their front 7 may be the best of any team the Tigers will face this year. In the past, we've seen CJ Spiller 8 cerries for 5 yards performance days aginst the same caliber teams. 26 carries for 110 plus yards and 2 negative yard plays overall for this line is a positive no matter how you slice it.

I'm sold on Dabo. Napier...not so much. I do believe that

Sep 27, 2009, 9:35 PM [ in reply to I believe this too ]

if Billy doesn't get the job done he wont be back. Unlike Bowden, Dabo won't let the OC cost him his job.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think Napier did all right. Part of his problem was that

Sep 28, 2009, 1:15 PM

TCU was basically forcing Clemson to mostly play Bowden ball. Short stuff, moderate runs, lots of conservative run plays. Some of those *&^% screens that mostly don't work. We just for some reason don't seem to have much in the way of receivers finding holes in the zone and then just sitting down and waiting for the ball. Maybe TCU was just doing lots of man coverage.

Re: I believe this too

Sep 27, 2009, 9:36 PM [ in reply to I believe this too ]

For us to get where we want to be..we have to catch the ball and throw better. Bottom line..our D did everything we could ask for. Our receivers need to block downfield as well. Once CJ breaks the line...we need other blocking...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WNCTiger11

Thank you, receivers blocking is one thing you don't notice

Sep 28, 2009, 3:58 PM

a lot of but can turn a 10 yard gain into touchdown. We have not seen it all year. They have to do better in that area (along with everything else)

Re: I want to go on permanent record right now...

Sep 27, 2009, 9:33 PM [ in reply to I want to go on permanent record right now... ]

We will see if you feel the same way after we don't play for the ACCCG and lose to the coots.I like Dabo's enthusiasm but that doesn't win games. All I am seeing right now is more of the same.

same here.........same story different chapter.***

Sep 27, 2009, 9:40 PM

Re: same here.........same story different chapter.***

Sep 28, 2009, 6:39 AM

Dabos first year as head coach is nothing more than Bowden year 11.

Conclusion: We are both on record, just like I wanted.

Sep 27, 2009, 9:46 PM [ in reply to Re: I want to go on permanent record right now... ]

:)

LOL. And we knew where pheebo stood.***

Sep 27, 2009, 10:31 PM

No. If we lose to Duke or Virginia, that is more of the same***

Sep 28, 2009, 4:05 PM [ in reply to Re: I want to go on permanent record right now... ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

I'm with you on this...

Sep 27, 2009, 10:11 PM [ in reply to I want to go on permanent record right now... ]

I have seen things from this team that I have not seen from us in a LONG time. Yes, we need to learn how to win these games. Yes, we need to finish teams when we have them down. Yes, we can't make excuses for not getting it done. But, I saw a team out there that could have beaten TCU. We called good plays and had good blocking. KP recognized things in the D that helped the team. There were just too many mistakes. KP is very young. He will only get better.

I will be ALL IN the whole season. I hated losing that game but I loved standing there in the rain with thousands of screaming fans cheering on MY team.

We bonded in some strange way Saturday. The only thing that hurt me was watching the players looking up in the stands as everyone was leaving just before singing the alma-mater. I could see the pain. I won't leave before singing with them. Not ever! As long as they are out there playing as hard as they are, the least I can do is stand there and sing with them.

BTW, picture of SB tomorrow.

Go Tigers!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let us not be deceived by phrases about ‘Man taking charge of his own destiny.’ All that can really happen is that some men will take charge of the destiny of others. . . . The more completely we are planned the more powerful they will be. - C.S. Lewis

lol***

Sep 27, 2009, 10:25 PM [ in reply to I want to go on permanent record right now... ]

I've got your back CSO....

Sep 28, 2009, 7:25 AM [ in reply to I want to go on permanent record right now... ]

Change is coming...and it will wondrous to see.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Me three.***

Sep 28, 2009, 10:55 AM

Re: I want to go on permanent record right now...

Oct 1, 2009, 9:44 PM [ in reply to I want to go on permanent record right now... ]

The two biggest a-holes in football may be Urban Meyer and Nick Saban. They don't pump sunshine, they don't give motivational speeches. What they do is go out and bust their ### every hour of every day. They also are brilliant football minds. Words don't do it for me. Wins do. Right now Dabo is 2-2 this year and 6-5 since he took the reigns. He will have some time to get the job done, but the only thing that matters is winning games, not giving cute speeches.

Lulz***

Oct 3, 2009, 9:38 PM [ in reply to I want to go on permanent record right now... ]

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Does Dabo believe Napier is the best OC he could have hired?***

Sep 27, 2009, 9:37 PM

Re: Does Dabo believe Napier is the best OC he could have hired?***

Sep 27, 2009, 9:41 PM

replace Brad and you will take care of 50% of the problems!

You do know the interior of our O-Line is the strength of

Sep 27, 2009, 9:47 PM

the offense, don't you? Jeez, try to see reality.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Re: You do know the interior of our O-Line is the strength of

Sep 27, 2009, 10:24 PM

I like Dabo, but I'm just not convinced he can win an ACC title as a head coach at Clemson any time soon.

I think Clemson should hire Chris Peterson from Boise St. He's been very successful (for a number of years now) at a school with very little tradition, in a weak conference with no where near the resources Clemson has.

He's also a creative play caller, and knows how to get the best out of what he has, and put his players in a position to be successful. (which has been our problem for some time now) He will be a very good coach at a big program very soon...

I think we should try to hire Chris Peterson as our Head Coach and retain Dabo and Steele if possible. I like Dabo a lot, (and appreciate what he's trying to do) but I think he and Napier are too inexperienced for their respective positions.

I think Dabo could make a good Offensive Coordinator, but I'm not buying him as a Head Coach for a team desperate for another conference championship in a competitive league like the ACC. Especially with the parody in today's college football environment.

Clemson needs a proven winner if we expect to win the ACC again any time soon...

Sep 27, 2009, 11:09 PM

Chris Petersen has had a good 4 year run....but how good has Dan Hawkins done at Colorado....face it Boise is a mid major in a crap confrence.

Sep 28, 2009, 4:21 PM

I agree that Boise St. plays a weak schedule, but they did beat Oklahoma in a bowl game as I recall. And that is what coaching is all about. Stoops and Oklahoma are no easy task, and I can assure the resources that Oklahoma has vs Boise St. are no where close to one another. No way Dabo/Tommy could pull that off. They have also been able to win other big games...

All I see is a guy who gets the best out of his players, puts his team in a position to win games (even the big ones) every year, and is a creative offensive play caller. He's also a hot name in college football right now. All things Clemson needs and does not have...

Dabo calls a lot of our plays, and has the power to veto

Sep 27, 2009, 11:16 PM [ in reply to Re: You do know the interior of our O-Line is the strength of ]

Napier's plays. If you don't like our offense, why would you want Dabo to be the OC?!? That makes no sense.

P.S. Dabo has a very good chance of winning the ACC this year. I don't know why you feel that he is incapable of winning an ACC title anytime soon.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Dabo calls a lot of our plays, and has the power to veto

Sep 28, 2009, 4:15 PM

I'm not saying Dabo would have to be our OC. And I disagree with most of what we are doing offensively.

I just threw that out there because it seems like a more natural progression from WR coach and seems to fit his background/age/level of experience. I was also thinking of a way for us to keep him, because I think he's a quality guy.

Peterson is a Scientologist from CA. Old boys don't approve.

Sep 27, 2009, 11:21 PM [ in reply to Re: You do know the interior of our O-Line is the strength of ]

You would have hired a head coach based on experience and track record of success? That's crazy. Crazy, I say. That's why you'll never be the Clemson AD.

Word has it that the old boy boosters wouldn't even consider a Californian (like Kiffin or Sarkisian) let alone a Californian Scientologist like Peterson. The job requirements list went something like this (in order):
* Protestant Southerner.
* Cheap.
* Head coaching experience.
* Success as a head coach.

Re: Peterson is a Scientologist from CA. Old boys don't approve.

Sep 28, 2009, 6:40 AM

Right on!

Sep 28, 2009, 7:59 AM [ in reply to Peterson is a Scientologist from CA. Old boys don't approve. ]

Actually, Steele looks better on paper and has the best pedigree of all!***

Sep 28, 2009, 8:01 AM [ in reply to Peterson is a Scientologist from CA. Old boys don't approve. ]

Actually, Steele looks better on paper and has the best pedigree on the staff!***

Sep 28, 2009, 10:25 AM [ in reply to You do know the interior of our O-Line is the strength of ]

Oh really? Is that why we do well in 3rd or 4th and short situations?

I think this team steps up next week.....

Sep 27, 2009, 10:16 PM

and crushes Maryland.

41-10

I agree. And I also think that it won't do anything to show

Sep 27, 2009, 11:16 PM

the haters and doubters that we are an improved team this year. Nothing will.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

UMD stinks this year. That game should be a gimme.

Sep 27, 2009, 11:25 PM [ in reply to I think this team steps up next week..... ]

If Clemson loses to UMD, Dabo should be fired on the spot.

When I see the defense actually man up and stop someone

Sep 27, 2009, 11:13 PM

late in a game, maybe I'll believe. Or maybe when I see the offense pick up a 3rd and 1 or 4th and 1 at a critical time, maybe I'll believe. Until then...its just more of the same old hapless Tommy Bowden Tigers.

Why does this have anything to do with Bowden's teams?

Sep 27, 2009, 11:18 PM

This is a different team, and a different coaching staff. Why do you and others continue to insist that things are the same - especially since we are clearly a tougher team with a totally different offense and defense?!?

Re: When I see the defense actually man up and stop someone

Sep 27, 2009, 11:20 PM [ in reply to When I see the defense actually man up and stop someone ]

Ok 4th quarter Saturday, Defense stoned them 3 and out and got us a final chance...so you believe now, right?

Right?!
RIGHT!?!
RIGHT!!!!!

Re: When I see the defense actually man up and stop someone

Sep 28, 2009, 12:55 AM

Stopped the Frogs on 4th down at the 24 yard line too. Defense is not a problem for this team...Not #5 OU or #2 Utah, last year or anybody else this year or last that TCU played, plays a better 'D' than the Tigers played Saturday.

388 yds and a pocket passer running for almost 100 says diff

Sep 28, 2009, 7:24 AM

different. Defense blowing another 4th quarter lead, says different.

I know our defense is the best part of this team. But they still arent good enough to win many games with the offense that they have. Defense has to get better. They allowed TCU to consume too much time with the ball, couldnt get off the field when they needed to. Thus they were worn out in the 4th qtr again. Obviously our offense needs to step up bigger too.

Re: 388 yds and a pocket passer running for almost 100 says

Sep 28, 2009, 8:32 AM

Couldn't have said it better myself DV. I have been saying the same thing myself. Strong defenses don't give up 400 yards to GT and TCU. They are the only 2 good teams we have played.

Re: 388 yds and a pocket passer running for almost 100 says

Sep 28, 2009, 11:34 AM

exactly. granted, the offense is awful, but not sure why the defense is getting so much love when they have given up such huge yardage. i said it before, we made that tcu howdy doody kid look like michael f'in vick.

Re: Swinney: I believe in what we are doing

Sep 28, 2009, 6:37 AM

I am glad Dabo believes in what he is doing.However,a lot of us dont believe when you see the product on the field.Dabo is lost as head coach and Napier has no business being oc.

Anonymous posters are so bold! Congratulations Mr. Gutless!***

Sep 28, 2009, 8:40 AM

Sep 28, 2009, 11:41 AM

The hardest thing is to sit back and watch the Tigers lose when you know they could win. It's pure agony.

Sep 28, 2009, 2:50 PM

One of the major differences in this staff and the last is that this staff takes definitive responsibility for the play instead of passing it off to the players every time. This is quite noticeable in virtually every quote or comment from any of the coaches. This was a major beef I had with the former staff, and I'm glad it's corrected. Eventually, because the coaches accept responsibility and acknowledge "need to coach better", we will see the effects on this team. So I am confident in where we are going, even if we do stub our toe a few times along the way. Eventually we'll get there. The journey is better than the inn.

Coaches didn't take responsibility 4 play-calling & planning

Sep 28, 2009, 3:49 PM

Read the article. The coaches don't seem to be taking any responsibility for their inadequacies in game-planning or play calling. When they talk about having to coach better, they're effectively saying that the players are screwing up so his staff needs to coach the players to execute their plays better.

"Swinney said that he feels like he has a team that is on the cusp of winning games against good teams and ranked opponents, but now the onus is on the coaches to teach the players how to win."

"We had plays there to be made."

“Now we have to teach them how to win."

Who's going to teach Napier how to be a big-league OC?

I believe a certain O-Lineman would disagree

Sep 28, 2009, 3:59 PM [ in reply to Re: Swinney: I believe in what we are doing ]

Meritted of not, the failure to block Tech's D-End was placed on Lambert's shoulders. Could have chipped with a back, or moved a tight end, but we let Corey flail away over and over again, and hoped that something different would happen.

We heard all of this with Tommy,Dabo, so save it.***

Sep 29, 2009, 9:16 PM

Oct 1, 2009, 9:08 PM

So did Tommy Bowden.

Nice 2nd Post...Smells of Coot***

Oct 1, 2009, 9:38 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 3, 2009, 7:46 PM

After todays game at Maryland, its getting really hard to kep believing............... I DO believe that we need an offensive coordinator who knows what he is doing !!!!

jonnyboy: I don't***

Oct 3, 2009, 7:47 PM

My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament.

Replies: 64
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic