Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Swinney Makes Changes on the Offensive Line
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1

Sep 13, 2009, 8:03 PM

The Clemson Tigers began preparation for the Boston College Eagles on Sunday afternoon, and Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney spoke with the media to talk about the Georgia Tech game and this week’s contest against the Eagles.
Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Boy ... Dabo pulled no punches on Jackson, did he?

Sep 13, 2009, 8:19 PM

There's the difference between Clemson and USC.

Glad we have a coach who will tell it like it is.

Sep 13, 2009, 8:29 PM

Sure hasn't been the case the previous 9 years.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Love it that Jackson responded. Hate it he's a Senior.

Sep 13, 2009, 9:13 PM [ in reply to Boy ... Dabo pulled no punches on Jackson, did he? ]

He could have made the difference for us on several occasions over the past 3 years.

Here's hoping he has a monster season, both for Clemson and for him.

Sounds like all he needed was a little DabMo (Dabo Moitvation).

Thought he was Jr***

Sep 13, 2009, 9:46 PM

Sorry...Thought I read that he is a Senior.***

Sep 13, 2009, 9:57 PM

This article says he's a Senior.

Sep 13, 2009, 10:02 PM

http://www.upstatetoday.com/news/2009/sep/12/greg-oliver-10-things-ive-learned-about-2009-tiger/

"• Richard Jackson pulling a Terrance Flagler — This year’s early nominee for the Terrance Flagler award is none other than senior placekicker Richard Jackson. The former Parade All-American is reminiscent of Flagler, a running back during the Ford era of the late 1980s, in that he was a highly touted player who fell into obscurity until his senior season."

But the roster I just checked said "Junior."

he is a rs junior***

Sep 13, 2009, 10:08 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If only TB had the coaching sense of Dabo

Sep 14, 2009, 6:48 AM [ in reply to Love it that Jackson responded. Hate it he's a Senior. ]

Those years we lost games because of missed field goals and extra points via Jad Dean. Why couldn't TB try Jackson? Because of his stupidity we have wasted a great kicker. I'm so glad he's gone and we have Dabo. Dabo is being nice about Willy. He's not about to let him ruin something we have going.

Because Jackson wasn't kicking worth a crap

Sep 14, 2009, 1:04 PM

If you can't make them in practice, no one is going to put you on the field.

Jad Dean had a bad senior year, but you do realize that

Sep 14, 2009, 10:24 PM [ in reply to Re: If only TB had the coaching sense of Dabo ]

he was one of the top three kickers in college football don't you? You don't become a Lou Groza finalist for sucking... giving the guy a break... So he kicked the game tying kick his senior year against USC... I'm sure he was more disappointed than you were. Hell, we wouldn't have needed him to kick if we had a coach back then with sense enough not to take out Merriweather.

"Excuse me? I don't go down to your work and tell you how to flip the burger!"

meant to missed the game tying kick***

Sep 14, 2009, 10:26 PM

"Excuse me? I don't go down to your work and tell you how to flip the burger!"

Bowden vs. Swinney in a microcosm

Sep 15, 2009, 4:26 PM [ in reply to Love it that Jackson responded. Hate it he's a Senior. ]

Bowden when dealing w/ Jad Dean: "We reviewed Jad's kick get off time and it was too slow." (This screwed him up mentally, making him overthink. The real problem was the OL kept getting trucked and the kick was blocked due to penetration) Payoff: USUC miss at end of season

Swinney:"Jackson, if you want to stay on team, you must do A, B, and C" Payoff: We shall see.

I don't know if Dabo will be successful or not but the days of the excuse and double talk are gone

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the problem here is a potential tendency ....

Sep 13, 2009, 9:45 PM [ in reply to Boy ... Dabo pulled no punches on Jackson, did he? ]

...to rely too much on fg and not be agressive enough in the red zone

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, in the event we cannot get TO the redzone

Sep 13, 2009, 10:35 PM

it's nice to have a kicker that can kick it 65 yards.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Gamecocks aren’t ready to take college football by storm just yet. They’re not even ready to compete in their own state – Clemson will still own the territory. Gamecocks fans would be smart to keep their heads buried until that time. Avoid talking trash to a much better Clemson program.” -Dustin Tackett

Dabo said that Parker is the best we have so why put Korn in

Sep 13, 2009, 9:00 PM

at all? He said quote, "We want to put Korn in every game but understand the circumstances that dictated the game we had to leave our best player Parker in".

It seems like he is being forced by the fans to put Korn in just because they want to see him in not because he desrves to be in. If Parker is the best QB we have, which I also believe him to be, then there is no reason to ever put Korn in.

Dude, just say you don't have a clue and leave it alone....

Sep 13, 2009, 9:06 PM

seriously.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Incorrect

Sep 13, 2009, 9:08 PM [ in reply to Dabo said that Parker is the best we have so why put Korn in ]

Swinney is smart putting his backup QB in for a series or two, in the event that his starter gets hurt.

Far too often a backup never gets any reps and PT, and isnt ready for the job when his turn comes up following an injury.

Swinney is not being forced by anyone, he said Korn deserves the PT because the battle was so close between the two players.

There is nothing wrong with playing your backup QB.

Re: Incorrect

Sep 13, 2009, 9:10 PM

I agree completely. Glad someone on here has some football sense. Notice Right Tackle was addressed also.

OG, as always, I appreciate your input. Top notch!***

Sep 13, 2009, 9:11 PM [ in reply to Incorrect ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

exactly***

Sep 13, 2009, 9:12 PM [ in reply to Incorrect ]

AMEN!***

Sep 13, 2009, 9:15 PM [ in reply to Incorrect ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Re: Incorrect

Sep 13, 2009, 9:29 PM [ in reply to Incorrect ]

Dabo is definitely smart to give the backup some reps. Parker may be one play away from an injury, God forbid, and I want a guy who has some experience to be ready just in case it's necessary. I can think of a great way to use WK, and that would be to put him in and run an option where the QB pitches to WK and lets him throw, as opposed to pitching to CJ who has no business trying to throw it. Each time he has tried, it has not been pretty. Let CJ become another receiver out of the backfield, where he is a weapon, and let WK have a chance to run or throw, which is his strength. We have so many weapons. Let's figure a way to use all of them, rather than just a few. that would be a def. co-ord's nightmare.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Didn't CJ throw for a TD last year against Virginia?***

Sep 14, 2009, 2:19 PM

yea he had a passer rating of like 556 or something! LOL***

Sep 15, 2009, 10:08 AM

Re: Dabo said that Parker is the best we have so why put Korn in

Sep 13, 2009, 9:08 PM [ in reply to Dabo said that Parker is the best we have so why put Korn in ]

Because we are one play away - one sack one bad landing away from Korn being the starter. We need a backup that has been in a game before, so if Parker goes down, at least Korn has some real experience.

Re: Dabo said that Parker is the best we have so why put Korn in

Got to keep Korn's head in the game and ready to play (no rust). Kyle could get banged up you know.

I think Dabo believes Korn deserves time on the field b/c

Sep 13, 2009, 9:10 PM [ in reply to Dabo said that Parker is the best we have so why put Korn in ]

KP is one hit away from being injured. Dabo's not an idiot, however, and will not play Korn just to play him.

My prediction would be, if Clemson has the lead on a team whether it be 3 points or 20 points, Korn will see the field in the 2nd quarter to give him some live bullets. (unless KP is just throwing amazing passes and is 10-10 or something)

If they feel comfortable enough to put him in the game, then I'm gonna trust they know what they're doing. We've seen first hand what happens if you don't give a guy some live reps. It's hard for them to grow as a QB.

Re: Willy is the one forcing the issue

Sep 14, 2009, 6:50 AM [ in reply to Dabo said that Parker is the best we have so why put Korn in ]

Willy is threatening to transfer if he doesn't get to play. All I have to say is, BYE WILLY!!!

###?***

Sep 14, 2009, 10:10 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em - The Webb Wilder credo

You say, "Bye Willy" if he walks. I say, "Hello Tahj."***

Sep 14, 2009, 11:23 AM [ in reply to Re: Willy is the one forcing the issue ]

And you know they how? I call BS.***

Sep 14, 2009, 12:43 PM [ in reply to Re: Willy is the one forcing the issue ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

He is not forced by the fans to do anything

Sep 14, 2009, 1:04 PM [ in reply to Dabo said that Parker is the best we have so why put Korn in ]

He doesn't get his orders from the fans (thankfully.)

Wow, after reading that two deep, pray for NO injuries!!

Sep 14, 2009, 8:17 AM

There is no depth on the line, better pray for no injuries all year otherwise its curtains!

Curtains!! That's funny.***

Sep 14, 2009, 2:30 PM

Re: Swinney Makes Changes on the Offensive Line

Sep 14, 2009, 9:57 AM

The best change he could make would be to get rid of Brad Scott. He should have been the first to go last year.

Swinney says, 4/5 of OL "outstanding". Where were the holes?

Sep 14, 2009, 11:46 AM

Swinney said, "four of our five offensive linemen just played outstanding." Really?

I'll have to re-watch the game, but I don't remember the O-line opening up many holes for the RBs. And I don't remember the O-line dominating the line of scrimmage. I do recall the RBs running into brick walls a few times. Outstanding? As I was watching the game, I was saying that the O-line looked "weak" again. Hmmmm...

Man, Swinney really slammed Lambert publicly. Ouch!

In 2 games, we have 327 yards rushing, 420 yards receiving.

Sep 14, 2009, 11:58 AM

I don't know what games you're watching, but in the ones I'm watching, Clemson is averaging 370 yards of total offense a game. It looks like the O line is doing something right to me.

But 125 rushing yds vs GT, with few holes between the tackle

Sep 14, 2009, 3:20 PM

MTSU cupcake stats don't count.

I'll admit that the GT game was weird in that we were playing (pass-heavy) catch-up for much of the game, but we only had 125 yards rushing along with 3 sacks, numerous QB hurries, and 3 false starts. Maybe I'm wrong about the O-line opening up holes, or maybe the O-line opened relatively few holes because GT was stuffing the box and challenging Parker to beat them with his arm. I don't recall. I'll have to watch the replay with less emotion.

But I just don't remember the O-line opening up many holes between the tackles. It seems like a lot of the running success was on the perimeter. And the O-line seemed to fail on run-blocking when we needed them most (on 3rd or 4th and short). Aside from the 3 breakaway rushes of 20, 25, and 15 (none of which were on 3rd down) there were no rushes for a 1st down (except QB scrambles).

I just don't recall the O-line opening up many holes or being 4/5 "outstanding". I could be wrong.

Re: Swinney says, 4/5 of OL "outstanding". Where were the holes?

Sep 14, 2009, 12:35 PM [ in reply to Swinney says, 4/5 of OL "outstanding". Where were the holes? ]

All you got to do is look at lamberts my space, he doesn't have his head, in the game.

Re: Swinney says, 4/5 of OL "outstanding". Where were the holes?

Sep 14, 2009, 12:37 PM

so, you know lambert aint into the game because of something on his myspace page. where do they find you people.

Was the coaching/planning was partly to blame for O-line?

Sep 14, 2009, 3:30 PM

The coaches must have known that Morgan is a future NFLer and Lambert is relatively weak, so it seems like the coaches could have done a better job game-planning for Morgan. It seems like they could have moved Hairston earlier, or double-teamed Morgan more, or chipped him with an RB, or ran away from him, or something.

I guess maybe that's part of what Swinney meant by getting his butt out-coached in the first half.

Hmmm i think...

Sep 15, 2009, 9:05 AM

Boyd should get to play!! haha lets see what hes got!

Unless this means firing Brad Scott, I don't care.***

Sep 16, 2009, 4:16 PM

Replies: 43
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic