Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What It Is, Is Something
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

What It Is, Is Something

Aug 27, 2009, 9:59 AM

What It Is, Is Something

In Andy Griffith’s 1954 What Is Was Was Football monologue, he used his southern drawl to illustrate what a hick from the hills thought of his experience in attending a football game... Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was pretty good. Good job.***

Aug 27, 2009, 10:05 AM

null

"Bowden found comfort in pulling his teams off the ledge...

Aug 27, 2009, 10:12 AM

instead of teaching them to never get close to the ledge in the first place."

I like this statement. It wasn't quite that cut and dry, but the point is valid.

I was there with you, pulling for the man as much as the team. I'm happy I don't have to feel that way anymore.

Here's hoping for a quick sunrise to burn off that lingering fog we've been in for the last few years.

Go Tigers!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgtbn_110.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Uncle Jake Media has designed the TigerNet Donor Badges every year since 2002, and provided many other graphics on the site as well. We are proud to be a Member of the TigerNet Business Network.

Please consider us for all of your web and graphic design needs!

Re: "Bowden found comfort in pulling his teams off the ledge...

Aug 27, 2009, 10:24 AM

This is the best article I've read in forever...it nails perfectly what I've felt and wrestled with for quite a while...Yes, I'm excited and will cheer my guts out...Yes, I'm "All In"...But championships are won on the field (not in the media or in chat rooms)...Go Tigers!

Re: "Bowden found comfort in pulling his teams off the ledge...

Aug 27, 2009, 10:37 AM [ in reply to "Bowden found comfort in pulling his teams off the ledge... ]

Great read, Scott!!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great read...def. enjoyed it!***

Aug 27, 2009, 10:17 AM

Well done.***

Aug 27, 2009, 10:18 AM

Excellent read.

Aug 27, 2009, 10:30 AM

Exactly what I've been trying to convey to friends and co workers. If only I could've said it like that.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great Article

Aug 31, 2009, 11:42 AM [ in reply to Well done.*** ]

This is one of the best articles I've read in quite some time. Good Job!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nicely done Scott.

Aug 27, 2009, 10:30 AM

As the old saying goes...."Talk is cheap"

Spot the #%*! Ball!!! Lets see what we got off that infomercial!

Very insightful***

Aug 27, 2009, 10:33 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nice...and if any of you haven't heard the Andy Griffith

Aug 27, 2009, 10:39 AM

version --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNxLxTZHKM8

Re: Perfect explanation of Clemson Nation

Aug 27, 2009, 10:48 AM

We are so hopeful, but so gunshot. I sure hope this guy can lead us out of that and back to the "we're gonna kick somebodys tail today" attitude we had in the past.

Re: What It Is, Is Something

Aug 27, 2009, 11:01 AM

Very true. I admire Dabo's mantra as he has lived by it: believe in God, believe in yourself, and never give up! He is the real deal and will win championships at Clemson.
Go Tigers!

Aug 27, 2009, 11:31 AM

Go Tigers!

Aug 27, 2009, 11:57 AM

Great read, Scott! I think you nailed what a lot of us have been feeling the last few seasons.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was a good read and I agree with you, but...***

Aug 27, 2009, 11:58 AM

Re: That was a good read and I agree with you, but...***

Aug 27, 2009, 12:03 PM

Sorry about that. Being gunshot as a Clemson fan goes back to the Hatfield and West days, so you can't blame it all on Bowden. After Hatfield was at Clemson for a few years, he was unable to win the big games. I don't think that West ever won a big game at Clemson, and no, I don't count a win over USC as a big win. The thing that frustrated me about Bowden the most is that he did win some big games, but would then lose to Duke. He made you think we had finally gotten over the hump, and then we would go right back to our old ways.

Dang good article sir***

Aug 27, 2009, 12:03 PM

The tool is a powerful brain.

I see it a little differently

Aug 27, 2009, 12:12 PM

Good article - I enjoyed it, but I don't think Bowden relished the opportunity to save his kiester each year.

No, I think this is pretty simple. He grew comfortable in a job and with his dad having the seat of head coach bolted to his rear-end, Tommy too thought this was a job for life.

The point - he just didn't treat EVERY game as critically important. He started the year like much of T-Net, 'how many games will we lose this year?'

I recall about 3 years ago Bobby was asked if he would take 10 - 2 this coming year. He said, 'heck no, why would I accept two losses without playing a game!'

THAT was a lesson his son never learned. Bobby started the year with the objective of a national championship even when it was hardly likely in later years. Tommy started every year with ... well, we'll see how it goes.

He's a good man but not an especially good coach. I thank him for his contributions to Clemson. I hope we have the good sense and class to honor his name in some way in the WEZ. But I'm glad his era is over.

This article was much better than "Brief Practice Today"***

Aug 27, 2009, 1:01 PM

What it is, is just what it is . Its just words said by a

Aug 27, 2009, 1:29 PM

different person. But none of us can be please or happy with just the words being said any more. I believe Dabo has put together a great coaching staff. On paper and by past experiences, all the right tools seem to be in place. All the tools and great coaches will never win if they don't use it all together with maximum results. Can Scott write about it or Dabo coach it so it all works. No body more than I or the entire Clemson hopes so more than we do. So spot the #### ball and lets see what we have this time around.
Goooo Dabo Staff and Team, Goooo Fans, Goooo Tigers !!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Excellent article, Scott.

Aug 27, 2009, 1:16 PM

That was the best writing I've seen on Tigernet in a very long time.

Best Rhymer piece ever...***

Aug 27, 2009, 1:35 PM

Best read about Clemson in a long time***

Aug 27, 2009, 1:56 PM

Thought Everyone Might Like to Hear the original...

Aug 27, 2009, 1:57 PM

What It Was, Was Football - Andy Griffith

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNxLxTZHKM8

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Thanks a lot, - a long, long time since I heard that.***

Aug 27, 2009, 8:11 PM

Aug 27, 2009, 2:39 PM

I appreciated the column, but I would suggest that it's up to the team as much as it's up to Dabo. Clemson was outplayed by lesser talent too much in the Bowden years, but now it's Clemson's reputation on the line. Bowden is gone and there no sense kicking him around anymore. (He became a former coach to me after the Maryland game last year. I gave up on him with that performance.)

But my point is that the lack of making it to the next level is Clemson's reputation now. Dabo and the team will have to erase that reputation on the field to seal it as Tommy's epitaph. Does that mean we have to win the ACC or have a perfect season? (It wouldn't hurt!) It means we have to be in every game we play. We have to earn the respect back on the field. Death Valley has to be a place where Clemson wins. We can't have anymore pastings by Va Tech, Florida State or Alabama.

Dabo has a real challenge ahead of him and I am pulling for him and praying for him and his family. But the Tigers need to be tough and let their talent show. We need some leaders who lead by example and get the job done on the line, not in the chatter.

I think we have the talent to go a long way. We need a little more intelligence on the field and leadership on both sides of the ball. Hit harder. Tackle. Don't bump and push. Catch the ball. Get the extra yard. Support each other. Be a team!

Go Tigers!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CUTBA-MD

Aug 27, 2009, 2:42 PM

It was an interesting article, and I'm glad that the author admits that he was rooting for Bowden and worrying about whether or not Bowden would keep his job rather than just pushing for excellence. I just want to know why the author cared so much about Bowden, when (IMHO) he should have cared a LOT more about Clemson football.

Many Clemson fans (especially the ones on T-Net) seem to show more loyalty to the coach than the team. Sure it's a judgment call as to what year Bowden should have been fired. It was apparent to many of us long ago that Bowden was an upper-mediocre coach, but not great coach-- a "B-" but not an "A". He was a good Christian and a nice man, but not a great coach. If we expressed such an opinion, we were dismissed as "Coots" and told to go find another team to support, because for some reason that I can't understand (and the author didn't explain), people gave loyalty to the man at the expense of the team.

I took no joy in seeing Bowden fired, $5M wasted, or in seeing Bowden-fans proven wrong-- not even the ones who called me a "Coot". I was relieved that Bowden was fired, hopeful that Clemson might hire a championship-caliber coach, and saddened by decade lost to upper-mediocrity.

I sure hope Dabo is a diamond-in-the-rough, like Danny Ford (minus the cheating). But Dabo's resume is weak, and so I'm disappointed that Clemson cheaped out took such a big risk in hiring Dabo rather than hiring a proven "A" (like Alabama did with Nick Saban). But I really like everything about Dabo and what he's done so far (which I'd bet is just smart coaching rather than pandering to the fans as the author questions). And I'm pulling for Dabo (and more importantly the team) with all my heart.

But I'll never let my personal like and respect for Dabo take precedence over my love for the team as so many Bowden-fans seem to have done for so long.

Go Tigers! 14-0!

Sep 1, 2009, 8:15 AM

This is a good post! The lack of experience from Dabo frightens me. I hope like crazy he does great. I like what he does have but what he doesn't scares me.
Clemson talks about their great tradition, but the last three coaches we have hired had a combined 4 years head coaching experience.
To me that is not what a big time school does. Look at Alabama, LSU, even Michigan.
And to top it off I feel like if TB had been relieved of his duties in the Winter of '08, I don't think Dabo would have even been interviewed for the position.
All that said, I hope he does great!
Go Tigers.
BMS

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Should have fired TB a year earlier and gone hard after

Aug 27, 2009, 4:51 PM

Paul Johnson...his style of game would have been a great fit for Clemson IMO.
As it is we have Dabo, and he is an unknown wildcard. He's a gamble - I hope it pays off.

dang good article!***

Aug 27, 2009, 8:55 PM

Thanks for the inspiration!******

Aug 27, 2009, 9:54 PM

Aug 28, 2009, 9:55 PM

Don't ever compare Tiger fans to chicken fans...that is as insulting as it gets. If you do not believe go write for their paper.

Aug 28, 2009, 11:55 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic