Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Ford Captures 100m Dash, Leads Clemson at ACC Outdoor Championships
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 2,179

Apr 18, 2009, 11:59 PM

Two-sport standout wins first-ever ACC outdoor championship, leads Tigers to 1-2-3 sweep in the event. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What has happened to .......................

Apr 19, 2009, 12:36 AM

our track and field programs?

Or Clemson Athletics in whole***

Apr 19, 2009, 12:57 AM

probably the AARC's fault :)***

Apr 19, 2009, 10:56 AM

Re: What has happened to .......................

Apr 19, 2009, 11:07 AM [ in reply to What has happened to ....................... ]

http://www.theacc.com/championships/09-otf-livestats.html

I was wondering the same thing. It looks like we didn't even bring a full team. Outside of the sprint events, I could only find 4-5 people in any of the other events. And we weren't very competitive in those events (except for the hammer throw).

In the middle-long distance runs we had 1 guy in the 1500, 1 in the steeplechase and 1 in the 10k. None of them were competitive and all three were Freshmen or Sophomores.

My guess is that we either don't have our cross-country runners participating in Track (which I find exceptionally hard to believe); we are lacking scholarships and have filled the roster with walk-ons; or we didn't bring our full-team due to financial considerations (again, find this hard to believe since it's the conference championships.

I'd be really interested in an interview with someone associated with the program to get a better analysis. I'm obviously grasping at straws and really can't even understand why there were only 6 schools present for the event.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There were all 12 ACC schools at the event.

Apr 19, 2009, 12:31 PM

The article just shows the top 6 for men's.

I hate to sound down on the program after such an amazing performance by Clemson's sprinters (the two fastest guys in the ACC play for our football team!?! Aaaaah! USE THAT TALENT, Dabo!). Still, it's frustrating that we are 6th overall in Men's track.

null

Re: What has happened to .......................

Apr 19, 2009, 12:33 PM [ in reply to What has happened to ....................... ]

IMO, these sports along with baseball have a limited number of scholarships available. Our out of state tuition cost prevents athletes from attending with only a partial schollie.
No excuse for womens Basketball. Looks like a poor hire.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Walk-on recruiting is nonexistent

Apr 20, 2009, 11:36 AM [ in reply to What has happened to ....................... ]

There are a heck of a lot of former HS track stars walking the campus that the track & field program has ignored. Many schools recruit athletes out of this base and provide them with perks instead of scholarships. Then these secondary athletes are used as supplemental training tools for the scholarship stars (rabbits, spotters, pacers, etc.)

Joined tigernet just to comment on this one

Apr 20, 2009, 5:20 PM [ in reply to What has happened to ....................... ]

Coaching changes. None are left from the 05-06 roster. This is not at all a slam on the new coaches, they might be great and should be allowed time to show what they've got. I don't know anything about them. But I do know Clemson was a top 3 team in the ACC for 15 or so years with Coach Pollock at the helm.

With that said, I think they are in a transition period where they need to convice recruits to buy into the new system. Some similarities to the football team I suppose.

As for scholarships, not everyone on the roster is close to a full ride. I beleive Pollock was a walk-on himself and encouraged other walk-ons. Long distance events can benefit from them a lot. Pollock also had a very good relationship with Bowden, which is huge for two sport athletes and recruiting for both sports. Lets hope a similar relationship will continue.

Replies: 8
| visibility 2,179
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic