Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Missed Opportunities Doom Tigers in Gator Bowl
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Jan 2, 2009, 6:41 AM

A blocked punt, a blocked field goal, missed opportunities early, two interceptions and five sacks all contributed a blown 11-point second half as the Nebraska Cornhuskers (9-4) ruined Swinney's head coaching bowl debut with a 26-21 win over the Tigers (7-6) in Thursday's Konica Minolta Gator Bowl. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replica of the Maryland Game!! :( *************

Jan 2, 2009, 7:47 AM

Re: Replica of the Maryland Game!! :( *************

Jan 2, 2009, 8:00 AM

***************** or a "Tale of Two Half's",which is what concerns me the most.We saw too many of the same mistakes,and blunders that ,in part, cost Tommy Bowden his job;a blocked punt,and field goal{Special team issues T.B. had in '06/07}inconsitencies on the "O" line{witness Harpers rushing stats{6 for -42 yds = sacks,and finally,the other team 's ability to make the necessary adjustments to win the game.Granted we didn't get blown-out as did the Coots,but a loss is a loss,and whenever you lose,you need to be concerned.

Re: Replica of the Maryland Game!! :( *************

Jan 2, 2009, 10:25 AM

This is what has become Clemson football-unfortunately we cannot run the bowl or keep a lead against good teams-offensive coaching? poor quarterback play? wr not getting open? poor OL play?? Something is wrong and we are a middle of the road team

Not really cause our offense never really got going. In the

Jan 2, 2009, 8:28 AM [ in reply to Replica of the Maryland Game!! :( ************* ]

Maryland game our offense was running all over Maryland. Nebraska gave us scoring opportunities and we didn't take advantage of field position.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NO No no......

Jan 2, 2009, 9:34 AM [ in reply to Replica of the Maryland Game!! :( ************* ]

In no way shape or form was this a replica of the maryland game. The Maryland game was lost because of coaching errors and aweful offensive play calling. Nebraska did an excelent job on D all day and Offensive play calling was fine. Every mistake during the bowl game was on the players, Not the coaches. Cullen Harper single handedly lost that game for us taking a rediculous amount of sacks. He never learned and still makes rookie mistakes. Multiple 10+ yard sacks for a loss.... Come on this makes coaching difficult for any coach. Cullen has been good to Clemson but I will be very glad to see him leave and actually use a highly recruited QB who has natural ability and does not make dumb plays or take huge sacks. 13 TD's and 14 int's on the year. 2 int's in the bowl game. I am so angry at his last sack I don't know what I would say to him if I had the chance. THROW IT AWAY! 2nd and goal on the 9 to 3rd and goal from the 25. It was there, and HARPER ruined it. Not the coaches. If Harper nad not taken that sack and we scored and won the game. Everyone would be praising DABO and not comparing him to Tammy.

Re: NO No no......

Jan 2, 2009, 5:24 PM

If, if, if...give the what if's a rest. Harper did not single handedly lose this game. We squander away excellent field position all day long. Our o-line could not open holes to run, spiller danced around for minimal gains, Harper showed lack of pocket pressence, Our receivers dropped passes, we had special teams blunders, our coaching staff got out coached at halftime adjustments. All in all, we just did not play well on the offensive side of the ball all the way around. No one player loses a football game.

And here's a big if for you...If Spiller catches the ball we win!!!

Re: NO No no......

Jan 3, 2009, 12:50 PM [ in reply to NO No no...... ]

I was actually just talking about the total collapse!

I had night mares

Jan 2, 2009, 8:14 AM

every time I woke up last night I wanted to throw up

HARPER!!

Jan 2, 2009, 8:47 AM

Even after the Tigers converted on 4th down I looked at my wife and said, "Harper will find a way to lose this." I have never seen a QB so willing to tuck tail and run backwards as quickly as him. He has done it all year and the coaches could never get it out of him. I don't remember ever seeing him step up in pocket even when the pressure was coming from the end and there was no one in front of him. Taking that sack on 2nd down was inexcusable. I'm sure he is heart broken and I don't mean to be cruel, but he will never make it in the NFL. I don't think he'll make it TO the NFL.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: HARPER!!

Jan 2, 2009, 9:41 AM

I am with you on this one. Harper rolled to his right about ten times when he should have stepped up. Only once did he step up and tuck it in. He went out of bounds a couple of time when he rolled when he could have dumped it to the bench. Not sure where his head was yesterday.
Did any one else see the first time SPILLER threw the ball at a Nebraska player? He did not get caught, it was on the clemson sideline after a return. Doubt seriously he will be back after that.
Go Tigers!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 2, 2009, 9:43 AM [ in reply to HARPER!! ]

In baseball, when the starting pitcher is not on his game they pull him for someone else. In baseball the pitcher can not return to the game but in football the starter can return if needed. They should have pulled Harper, even if just for a few plays. May have been a different outcome. I do not understand this mentality of going with a QB that, on that day, is not on his game.

Jan 2, 2009, 11:33 AM

It's called the Tommy Bowden mentality;When Whitehurst was injured against Ga.Tech {Sr. yr},Bowden left him in instead of subbing Proctor,who looked bad against Va. Tech{Sr.year on Thurs.nite}and could have been replaced by Harper,who looked bad against Wake,and should have been replaced for a series ,or two,by Wade/Parker{Korn was out because of the Ga.Tech shoulder injury}or by Wade/Parker against Nebraska.

Jan 2, 2009, 10:23 AM [ in reply to HARPER!! ]

I have never been one to attack any student/athelete, but I am so glad to see Cullen Harper gone. He got us beat yesterday plain and simple, not by taking a sack on the last drive{ WHICH WAS STUPID, CULLEN { but by terrible play all day. He showed this year that 07 was a fluke. Remember last year in the BC game after Kelly dropped the pass? Harper took another bone head sack and took us out of any chance to make a field goal to tie it up. Weak QB play has cost us as many wins as any thing in the past 5 years. I would like to see one of the QB's step up in spring and take charge, or we will be crying again next year. Also does anyone else feel we need a proven OC???

Jan 2, 2009, 1:38 PM [ in reply to HARPER!! ]

i had lost all confidence in Harper to lead us to a winning score sometime during the GT game. i was surprised we got as close as we did yesterday. the only time i remember him engineering a drive to win as usc last year. otherwise he was able to find ways to squander chances. the sack yesterday will go on to live in infamy.

Jan 2, 2009, 1:57 PM [ in reply to HARPER!! ]

I was thinking the exact same thing... and then when i was watching the Rose Bowl i saw a Quarterback who was getting pressured and hit... but was still completing passes by stepping up in the pocket... Harper shoulda taken notes from Matt Sanchez!

Jan 3, 2009, 3:57 AM [ in reply to HARPER!! ]

Exactly, exactly right. That guy has a middlin NFL arm and not a prayer of a chance considering his utter lack of pocket presence and slow feet and a very, very slow mind. Ever see him make a snap throw to get rid of it to avoid a sack? Nope.

So glad to see him go.

me too, but instead of throw up, throw out of bounds!!!!***

Jan 2, 2009, 10:06 AM [ in reply to I had night mares ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Harper had some nice passes and terrible pocket presence

Jan 2, 2009, 12:27 PM

Harper threw some really nice passes, including the TD to Ford. But as always, he had terrible pocket presence. He has never learned to sense pressure, step up into the pocket, scramble to avoid sacks, throw the ball away, or tuck the ball away and run without hesitation. Clemson would have won that game if Clemson had a top tier QB.

The defense played pretty well but squandered some 3rd and longs.

I'll look forward to Clemson playing a more athletic QB and a new DC.

I agree and also want to throw in that it was very

Jan 2, 2009, 5:24 PM

disappointing to see a break down in our special teams play. We had seen drastic improvement in this department recently, and I'm shocked that we had 2 kicks blocked.

The FG block was critical. Instead of needing a TD at the end of the game, we could have set Buckholtz up for a chip shot game winner... well maybe not a chip shot after Harper took that sack on 2nd down, but we probably wouldn't have tried any passing plays from 1st and goal from the 9 either.

Regardless:
- Our D kept us in the game and made numerous plays that gave us opportunities to win.
- Our O never got into rhythm, and we never established any form of a running game.
- Harper was inconsistent outside of a few passes (TD to Kelly & TD to Ford were beautiful)
- Special teams killed us.
- We suffered some tough breaks, especially the fumble return for TD overturn. The original ruling should have stood although it didn't surprise me that we were once again on the short end of the stick on an official replay review. No way that there was "indisputable video evidence" to overturn that play - reminded me a lot of the BC 2006 overturn of Hamlin's interception.

Hmmmm....

2008 NCAA® FOOTBALL RULES AND INTERPRETATIONS
SECTION 7. Reversing an On-Field Ruling
Criterion for Reversal
ARTICLE 1. In order to reverse an on-field ruling, the replay official must see indisputable video evidence through one or more video replays provided to the monitor.

Lastly, had that 3rd down pass to Spiller at the end of the game been thrown in front of him instead of a little behind him, he would've had a much better opportunity to make the play, and considering how well he has been catching the ball recently, I'd bet he would have caught it. Heck, worst case probably would've been pass interference on the Husker defender, 1st and goal again at the 10... oh well, coulda, woulda, shoulda.

I look forward to our 2009 season with Coach Swinney being able to fully implement his coaching staff and his football philosophy. Here's to recruiting!

Re: I agree and also want to throw in that it was very

Jan 3, 2009, 4:04 AM

Agree and disagree.

I thought the Nebraska "fumble" was clearly not. The guy's right knee looked down to me.

The overturn of the Hamlin interception at BC still rankles me today. Not one person who saw it live thought it was not an interception. Not C.U. players, not the B.C. receiver, not the ref, no one. But in super, super slo mo they both possessed the ball for a millionth of a second. I wanted to go to replay booth and yell, "look at it at game speed you idiots!"

I know what you mean, and I saw that too. And, I'm sure

Jan 3, 2009, 2:22 PM

that was the reason that the fumble was overturned.

My point and the reason that I strongly disagreed with the call is that when you look at the replay just before the Husker's right knee touches down, our defender has his left arm inside trying to pull the ball out, but you can't really see the ball. The Husker player may have lost possession before he went down, or he may not have. But the bottom line is that you can not tell from the replay, because you can not see the ball. By rule, the ruling on the field was a fumble and there was NO INDISPUTABLE video evidence that showed that the Husker had possession of the ball when his knee went down.

I think replay officials over step their jurisdiction a lot of times, and instead of looking at a replay to see if there is any indisputable evidence to overturn the call on the field, they simply look at a replay to determine what the call on the field should be. This is not how the rule was written, and not how it should be interpreted.

If so, the rule needs to be re-written to basically state that when a call is made on the field during a play where action occurs so quickly that the officials on the field aren't sure which way the call should have gone, then the replay officials will make the call on field after reviewing video...

I do agree with you on Hamlin's BC interception overturn - Awful!!!

Re: Missed Opportunities Doom Tigers in Gator Bowl

Jan 2, 2009, 1:51 PM

I too am so happy to see Harper gone. If he thinks for a second that he can make it in the NFL or even Arena Football, or Pop Warner,he is still living in a dream world. If Whitehurst is still a 3rd stringer, what makes Harper think he can play???
He is /was (yes!!!) the most bone headed, stupidist QB to ever play at CU. I have said all season to my friends that Harper lost games for us. He is the biggest pansey dressed in uniform I have ever seen. His sildes short of first downs said it all. He simply was afraid to get hit. He had some great pocket protection in Gator Bowl, but ran like a pansey and got sacked. Frankly, I am elated that he is gone. I said no one could be as bad as Proctor, but I think Harper surpassed him. His passes were often were behind receivers, or in the dirt. Stupid, Stupid, Stupid. Gee...Thanks for nothing Cullen. No ring of honor for you, only a wall of shame! You'll forever be remembered as the guy who took the sack and lost the game.....again...and again...and again.

Re: Missed Opportunities Doom Tigers in Gator Bowl

Jan 3, 2009, 4:07 AM

Amen.

Remember the Auburn bowl game? How many wide open receivers did he miss in that game and then we find out he was hurt.

I agree, I much prefer Proctor even though he couldn't pass. At least he wasn't a pansy with delusions of NFL grandeur.

wow.......

Jan 2, 2009, 3:42 PM

i went to the game, sat on the 10 yard line where clemson was driving in the 4th quarter and as we drove down the field i said literally seconds before the play that harper was going to be sacked.....i have never seen a qb perfom that badly and have a lack of smarts....also just as a reminder the refs screwed us over too, WHERES THE HOLDING??? or the overturned fumble for TD? there was clearly not enough evidence....that was a long..long drive home

Re: wow.......

Jan 3, 2009, 4:10 AM

One small quibble.

Why didn't the coaches run the ball four straight times at the end there? First, you knew Harper would take a sack or turn it over. Second, we needed to run the clock out. Third, it would have been a "surprise" to some degree. And Fourth, it would have put the ball in hands of our two winners--Davis and Spiller.

Okay, maybe a third down fade to Kelly. But I was surprised that Swinney wasn't clever enough to run at the end there--especially a sweep type play.

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic