Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
David Hood: Postgame Gator Bowl Thoughts
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1,562

Jan 2, 2009, 4:55 PM

Information on the Clemson gameplan and how it panned out, how much work the offensive line has to do and more. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Interceptions . . .

Jan 2, 2009, 5:56 PM

"We were in man coverage on the play. I saw the receiver sit down, and I saw the quarterback looking at him. He looked at him the whole way. I sat on the route and just made a big play on it." -Crezdon Butler

So I thought we always played zone to create turnovers? Looks like we should be in man coverage more often considering that a good QB can pick a zone coverage apart.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

We also gave up big plays while in man. At least one TD...

Jan 2, 2009, 11:25 PM

I like the mix of both we played against Nebraska. Just don't think that if we just played man we wouldn't give up big plays.

Zone is a good defense. Man is a good defense. Zone/Man/attacking is a great defense.

Re: David Hood: Postgame Gator Bowl Thoughts

Jan 2, 2009, 9:13 PM

On not being able to win a bowl game in two tries as a starter. "It is disappointing, but I wouldn't change anything. I would go back and do everything the same way and play the same way."

...and we would lose twice the same way. No doubt that the QB position killed us this year. Nebraska's QB had pressure on him all day, but managed to man up and make plays!

Jan 3, 2009, 3:46 AM

BattleCat has it exactly right. I am amazed that more people don't see it ... Harper was horrible all year. His passing accuracy was okay (not great), but he takes way, way, way, too many sacks. How could he take that last sack? How many times did he leave pocket unnecessarily? When will he ever step up in the pocket?

Can you imagine if we had Ganz and they had Harper? Even with the special teams gaffs (two blocks in one game), we would have won something like 35-12.

Remember the PI call on Spiller when he almost caught it? That pass was at least 5 yards (and probably 7 yards) short. That last pass to Spiller in the fourth quarter? A yard to the right and it's a TD.

But again his accuracy is okay (great pass to Ford in the 3rd quarter). But his pocket "presence" and scrambling and ability to get rid of the ball is horrible. Man did he kill us in this game.

we can blame qb all day but oline needs to man up

Jan 3, 2009, 8:40 AM [ in reply to Re: David Hood: Postgame Gator Bowl Thoughts ]

they can't run on any team when they need to. if they could have est run and protected half way decent we would have had more playmaking opps. This could kill us early next yr because it would be nice to have a stout oline with our inexperience at qb. FSU starts 3 frsman and 2 sophs and they took it to our def, we should be able to do the same,esp to a team that ranked 66th in total d.(NU)

Maybe one reason you saw so many saluting the flag...

Jan 2, 2009, 10:09 PM

A change in Federal law for 2008 allows active duty military to salute the flag during the national anthem even while wearing civilian clothes. I think it's a great change in law. Wish I could have beent here.

Col Lewis Jordan
Class of '85
RAF Mildenhall, UK

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

it also permits saluting of the flag

Jan 2, 2009, 10:15 PM

by veterans

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

wait...you saying that was against the law? really?***

Jan 2, 2009, 11:22 PM [ in reply to Maybe one reason you saw so many saluting the flag... ]

Jan 3, 2009, 12:22 AM

I was very very proud of the way we played DEFENSE! The guys were very physical and held a very potent Nebraska offense to 26 points!
As for the offense, this was not their very best game but Nebraska is very tough especially on the defensive line including tipping and deflecting pass attempts.
C.J and James Davis gave great effort but unfortunately it did not work out so well in the end!
The special teams hurt us on the blocked punt and field goal-however they covered kicks very well and Jimmy Maners punted nicely.
All in all,I am very encouraged and optimistic about future seasons because we got back to playing physical Clemson style football!

As I said in your pre-game article...The OL STINKS

Jan 4, 2009, 9:36 AM

"That means this offensive line, which grew up a ton over the last six weeks or so, has a lot of work to do in the offseason if they want to get to where they can dominate defenses..."

Yeah, David...no kidding. And do you know the one consistent thing over the last several years about that OL? BRAD SCOTT! Fat Brad is washed up and needs to be moved to desk duty ASAP...He is just AWFUL and in the end will always be Clucker trash.

Re: As I said in your pre-game article...The OL STINKS

Jan 4, 2009, 7:05 PM

> "That means this offensive line, which grew up a ton
> over the last six weeks or so, has a lot of work to
> do in the offseason if they want to get to where they
> can dominate defenses..."
>
> Yeah, David...no kidding. And do you know the one
> consistent thing over the last several years about
> that OL? BRAD SCOTT! Fat Brad is washed up and needs
> to be moved to desk duty ASAP...He is just AWFUL and
> in the end will always be Clucker trash.

The only trash I see is you every time you post on this board. Why don't you go to the land field so we want have to see your trash being posted on Tigernet2.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 4, 2009, 12:33 PM

There is little evidence that the offensive line showed much improvement. A simple metric would be yards rushing:
In the seven games under Swinney the offensive line helped produce these net rushing yards:
GT 51
BC 120
Fla State: 79
Duke 140
Virginia 56
USC 184
Neb 4
Average: 90

Two observations there was no 'consistent improvement' and there were only three games where the we exceeded 100 yards, and two of the teams were Duke and USC. Also note that the last game was with a supposedly healthy offensive line.

Before Swinney against quality opponents here are the net rushing yards:
Ala 0
NC State 166
maryland 221
Wake Forest 21
Average (100)

In these games the offensive line failed to generate 100 yards one-half the time and had two games where we had more than 150 yards.

I think people put too much weight on the USC game. Even taking that game into consideration the offensive line did not generate much in terms of rushing. In addition, the offense failed to score at least 20 points in three of these games. Overall the offense failed to score 20 points six times this year or the offense failed to score 20 points nearly 50% of the time. From 2005-2007, the offense failed to score 20 points a total of six times; that is, we failed to score more than 20 points only 15% of the time over those three years.

Compare this line to the two pervious years. Against ACC opponents in 2007 we averaged 139 yards per game on the ground and in 2006 against ACC opponents we averaged 199 yards on the ground. Note I only focus on ACC opponents so I am not including the inflated numbers against weaker opponents. The moral of the story is this offensive line has a long way to go to achieve the 'success' of the offensive lines in 2006 and 2007.

Jan 5, 2009, 2:42 PM

I watched the Clemson - Nebraska game, and the Utah - Alabama game.

If Dabo is looking to improve the offense at Clemson then I strongly suggest that he look into recruiting the offensive coordinator from Utah!

They were fast, efficient and very effective.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1,562
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic