Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson Reaches Agreement with Swinney
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

Nov 30, 2008, 11:32 PM

Clemson Athletic Director Terry Don Phillips met with interim head coach Dabo Swinney on Sunday afternoon, and the two sides agreed in principle for Swinney to remove the interim tag and take over as permanent head coach immediately. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ok, now i'll believe it!***

Nov 30, 2008, 11:33 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was all about the money..

Dec 1, 2008, 12:34 PM

the school saved about $1 1/2 to $3 mil by going this
route....#21

All about the money? No way!

Dec 1, 2008, 2:00 PM

Partly about the money? Maybe!

Just because he might not have been your 1st choice doesn't mean Clemson did not get the best person for the job!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Gamecocks aren’t ready to take college football by storm just yet. They’re not even ready to compete in their own state – Clemson will still own the territory. Gamecocks fans would be smart to keep their heads buried until that time. Avoid talking trash to a much better Clemson program.” -Dustin Tackett

We'll see,we'll see.

Dec 1, 2008, 4:00 PM

2009-2012=
1993-1997

Mark it down!

Kinda ironic David Hood wrote this article.***

Nov 30, 2008, 11:36 PM

THE TIGERS ARE IN MY HEART..... BUT THE DUCKS ARE IN MY PANTS....

David Hood YOU NEED TO GET ON BOARD!!!!***

Nov 30, 2008, 11:44 PM

Re: Kinda ironic David Hood wrote this article.***

Nov 30, 2008, 11:53 PM [ in reply to Kinda ironic David Hood wrote this article.*** ]

more than likely told to do it and I am sure he has eaten enough crow to last a lifetime!!

God forbid we have people who dont agree with TNet around

Dec 1, 2008, 11:17 AM [ in reply to Kinda ironic David Hood wrote this article.*** ]

The world would end or something if you dont agree with the crazies.

Re: Clemson Reaches Agreement with Swinney

Nov 30, 2008, 11:37 PM

Great move! Now lets all support the man and the program and put all the divisiveness aside.

I've been checking all day...great news for Tiger Football!!***

Nov 30, 2008, 11:51 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Congrats to Coach Swinney

Nov 30, 2008, 11:52 PM

Time for the "Haters" to check those feelings; it is "Dabo-Time" and we all have to get on board. We are, after all, Clemson Fans. The questions have been answered, at least for now. Some work and answers are yet to come---but, the BIG one is set:
Go Dabo, Go Tigers!!!!

Dec 1, 2008, 1:16 AM

Excellent!! Congratulations to Coach Dabo Swinney and the entire Clemson Football Team. May they have a bright and long future together. What is really great to see is a Clemson head football coach talk to his players during the game; pat them on the butt, teach & instruct, and show individuals he cares about them. Communication is a wonderful thing, if used! Now the bowl game!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"bought pizzas for students camping out for pizza"

Dec 1, 2008, 1:18 AM

Either Dabo is crazy for buying the pizza, the students are crazy for continuing to camp out when the pizzas were already purchased, or David Hood is a moron.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mmmmm Good Pizza !!***

Dec 1, 2008, 10:25 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

Dabo gave em what they wanted--PIZZA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!***

Dec 1, 2008, 12:02 PM [ in reply to "bought pizzas for students camping out for pizza" ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mixed emotions. Lovable guy. Great spirit. No resume.

Dec 1, 2008, 1:27 AM

I'm kinda glad that they named Dabo head coach, and I'm kinda bummed. You just gotta love Dabo's personal story, his spirit, his drive, his emotion, his bond with the players, and everything that he's done. At a personal, emotional, human level, I love that Dabo will be the coach.

On the other hand, Dabo's resume is thin. So I would have liked to have seen Clemson hire a proven, big-time, big-name coach (who ideally would have retained Dabo). Proven, big-name coaches aren't without risk, but they seem to have less risk.

I think that Dabo could be a championship-caliber head coach if he were able to hire championship-caliber coordinators and assistants. But I'm concerned that Dabo won't be able to hire a top-notch OC or assistants because they will view Dabo as a risky, unproven, guy who is potentially a short-timer.

Similarly, I fear that top notch recruits will shy away from Clemson because Dabo is a risky unproven guy who is potentially a short-timer.

Clemson has played pretty well for the last 5 games, but that was with a better, healthier O-line, and without the burden of Spence's play-calling. So I'm not sure how much of Clemson's improvement in the second half of the season was attributable to Dabo.

Oh well... there are never any guarantees with a new head coach, whether it's a big name coach or a gutsy assistant. Dabo will have my support. But he certainly can't make excuses that the cupboard is bare.

Anway, I'd much rather watch Dabo make some mistakes and learn on-the-job than watch Spence waste talent and watch Bowden on the sideline looking ill.

Go Dabo!

I find myself in almost total agreement with ya here, Razz.***

Dec 1, 2008, 1:47 AM

Razz, you must not be old enough to remember when

Dec 1, 2008, 5:02 AM [ in reply to Mixed emotions. Lovable guy. Great spirit. No resume. ]

assitant coach Danny Ford was named head coach? Dabo is a very similar passionate leader!

Who do you think was helping call the plays?***

Dec 1, 2008, 7:03 AM [ in reply to Mixed emotions. Lovable guy. Great spirit. No resume. ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bottom line is Dabo is the right risk at the right time***

Dec 1, 2008, 7:39 AM [ in reply to Mixed emotions. Lovable guy. Great spirit. No resume. ]

Re: Bottom line is Dabo is the right risk at the right time*

Dec 1, 2008, 8:13 AM

Cheap and easy to fire. Although I hope that doesn't happen. Has to be a thought for TDP though.

I said the same things when they gave the job to Ford.***

Dec 1, 2008, 8:38 AM [ in reply to Mixed emotions. Lovable guy. Great spirit. No resume. ]

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Wrong!

Dec 1, 2008, 8:50 AM [ in reply to Mixed emotions. Lovable guy. Great spirit. No resume. ]

Razz, would you rather have a Steve Spurrier, or maybe a Charlie Weis? These are HUGE names in coaching that have done essentially nothing for their programs. Did you know who Urban Meyer was 6 years ago? Jim Tressel coached at Youngstown State before going to Ohio State and winning a National Champinoship. Mark Richt was an assistant at Florida State and had never been a head coach before going to do great things at Georgia.

College football fans have taken the sport, and especially its coaches, and turned it and them into some kind of white collar business. I firmly believe that Danny Ford would be mocked for his country boy personality these days. But coach Ford knew how to make a team that wins. That's all that matters. Dabo has proven that he can do this. The man could sell sand to a camel and, believe me, his being the head coach and not the WR coach will make his recruiting abilities even stronger.

My point is that big names don't always equal big things. In coaching, it has always been about the fit. In my opinion, Clemson fans have finally found their replacement for coach Ford in Dabo Swinney because he fits.

Re: Wrong!

Dec 1, 2008, 10:01 AM

I believe he is probably the right fit, but always comparing our next coach to Ford gets old. Although in this instance, I suppose he has something in common as he is being promoted from a position coach/Asst. Coach. Other than that, only compare the two when Dabo has done something in the coming years.

Razz read this article and see if it soothes you

Dec 1, 2008, 10:00 AM [ in reply to Mixed emotions. Lovable guy. Great spirit. No resume. ]

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/87190-dabo-swinney-clemsons-fearless-leader#

Anyway, my only concern remains the staff we can build around a young coach; however, I have faith that TDP can use his experience and skill to put together what we need.

Great point of view. Thannks.***

Dec 1, 2008, 8:11 PM

Re: Mixed emotions. Lovable guy. Great spirit. No resume.

Dec 1, 2008, 10:24 AM [ in reply to Mixed emotions. Lovable guy. Great spirit. No resume. ]

Risk is defined by how much you have invested versus the chance of getting a return on that investment. You may have reservations about the potential for a big return with Dabo, but who else could Clemson have gotten for a million a year. We have considerably reduced our investment, from Bowden's hefty contracts and buyouts, and I don't believe our return will be less than what he gave us. Dabo is the least risky choice Clemson could have made. We would have had to make a huge investment on a "big name" coach and then been stuck with him if he didn't get it done because of another huge buyout.

Also, you argue that he didn't have Spence calling plays so you are not sure how much Dabo had to do with our success. Who was it that got rid of Spence again? On the one hand you downplay a coordinator's importance by saying Dabo succeeded because he was calling the plays instead of Spence and then you cite as one of your main concerns that Dabo will not be able to get a big name coordinator. I suppose this double logic is just beyond me.

Dec 1, 2008, 8:10 PM

We could spend $100k/year and got somebody else. That wouldn't necessarily make it a good investment. I'm sure Alabama thinks they got a good return on investment even though they have one of the highest paid coaches.

There is no double logic. Spence stank. Napier is way better than Spence. A great OC, like Norm Chow would be even better. Dabo can hire an unproven guy like Napier to be OC. But I fear that he'll have a tough time hiring a top tier guy like Norm Chow. Clemson can be good with a good coordinators. Clemson can be great with a great coordinators.

Excuses? If he hasn't made any excuses so far...

Dec 1, 2008, 12:04 PM [ in reply to Mixed emotions. Lovable guy. Great spirit. No resume. ]

considering the mess he took over, why would you say he can't make excuses? He took over a sinking ship and turned it around. He knows everything is in place to win at Clemson that is why he has busted his butt these last 7 weeks. He wants the job because he knows he can win and win now. If he hasn't made excuses so far, I don't expect any down the road.

Dabo produces.

Dec 1, 2008, 12:10 PM [ in reply to Mixed emotions. Lovable guy. Great spirit. No resume. ]

Producers produce. Dabo has produced with a staff and scheme he did not choose. Recruits will come because he can produce.

I understand your opinion and feelings

Dec 1, 2008, 12:14 PM [ in reply to Mixed emotions. Lovable guy. Great spirit. No resume. ]

The one thing I would say is that I believe you could chalk up a very large percentage of improved play to Dabo. He got them out of that 2 point stance--at least the guards--all the time and the tackles some. He had linemen out blocking for screens and I mean their butts were hustling getting downfield. Of course, attitude was tremendously better. Aaron Kelly found himself the 2nd half of the season and JD had holes to sneak through. I don't know if you noticed but there were some tweaks defensively as well--the uncharacteristic blitz, the LB's were not hesitant and they dropped much better. Saturday, the OL kept lower for leverage than they had at UVA--which let me tell you-that is one cold #### place. The intensity of play was much much better. The big thing--the players want to play for Dabo. I don't care who you put in, if the players don't like him-he won't be successful. There was no one out there that I really got excited about as a head coach or asst at this point. Call it divine intervention if you will but I think we'll be fine. Dabo doesn't mind changing what doesn't work. I look forward to the future.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 1, 2008, 12:41 PM [ in reply to Mixed emotions. Lovable guy. Great spirit. No resume. ]

Anyone who has paid attention at all can see that Dabo is a born leader and tha players and coaches will follow him. He has over-achieved with everything in his life and he led a team of assistants in the last few weeks who were older and had more experience. Dabo is the right guy - no question. Danny Ford had no resume but look what he did. Get "all in" bro'. Dabo is the right guy.

Dec 1, 2008, 2:41 PM [ in reply to Mixed emotions. Lovable guy. Great spirit. No resume. ]

To Razmatazz: How thick was Danny Ford's resume?

I'm excited about this...I think it was a good choice!***

Dec 1, 2008, 9:05 AM

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How's your foot taste, David Hood?***

Dec 1, 2008, 9:05 AM

If I ever camp out for pizza, someone please just shoot me

Dec 1, 2008, 9:10 AM

in the head.

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

Camping out for Pizza......yea man! Congrats CDS***

Dec 1, 2008, 10:14 AM

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

So..........Spiller. Are you staying????????????

Dec 1, 2008, 10:54 AM

Anybody think he will stay and pass up the money? Maybe a run for the Heisman?

Did CJ say he'd come back if, or he wouldn't come back if?***

Dec 1, 2008, 8:17 PM

Re: Did CJ say he'd come back if, or he wouldn't come back i

Dec 2, 2008, 8:21 AM

He said he would be back, is Dabo was back.

Re: Did CJ say he'd come back if, or he wouldn't come back i

Dec 2, 2008, 8:31 AM [ in reply to Did CJ say he'd come back if, or he wouldn't come back if?*** ]

http://www.upstatetoday.com/news/2008/dec/02/clemson-players-thrilled-have-swinney-coach/

Dec 1, 2008, 11:55 AM

As a Clemson student myself, I am ecstatic to see Coach Swinney promoted to Head Coach. I feel he is so deserving of the position, and it is evident that the Clemson family as a whole is "All In." I am excited for the football program's future under his direction. Go Dabo and GO TIGERS! You have worked hard for a great season.

Replies: 42
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic