Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Terry Don Phillips Issues Statement About Sideline Conversation With Swinney
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 49
| visibility 1

Oct 18, 2008, 6:24 PM

Phillips says his conversation with Dabo Swinney caught on ESPN near the end of the Georgia Tech was not "micro-managing." Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TNET idiots show themselves again!!!!!!!!!!!!!***

Oct 18, 2008, 6:25 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

for the 7342nd time this afternoon***

Oct 18, 2008, 6:35 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

will it ever end....***

Oct 18, 2008, 6:43 PM [ in reply to TNET idiots show themselves again!!!!!!!!!!!!!*** ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

Can't believe he had to actually come out and

Oct 18, 2008, 6:26 PM

make a statement.

Kudos to some Tiger Boarder for their attempt to throw him under the bus...again..

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope TDP makes ESPN issue an apology***

Oct 18, 2008, 6:31 PM

Would love it, but doubt it will ever happen....***

Oct 18, 2008, 6:33 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

me too, and it's a shame. They can get away with that crap.***

Oct 18, 2008, 6:35 PM

do you expect anything better from ware***

Oct 18, 2008, 6:42 PM

ESPN = making sporting news, not reporting it***

Oct 18, 2008, 6:44 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"something in these hills..." -joe sherman

Re: ESPN = making sporting news, not reporting it***

Oct 18, 2008, 8:21 PM

No ESPN has gone way past that...they are the CNN, New York Times, etc. of the sports media...they make me sick...

ESPN = Every Speculation Proving Nothng...***

Oct 18, 2008, 6:47 PM

ESPN must be held accountable . . .

Oct 18, 2008, 6:52 PM

ESPN has very well possibly cost us opportunities with both prospective coaches and recruits with Mr. Ware's comments about Terry Don Phillips and what he ASSUMED was being said. They need to be held accountable if necessary in court. These comments were very damaging and made to a national audience. Again, they HAVE to be held accountable for what they carelessly said with no regard to our ADs reputation or the truth.

Very, Very Excited. Very, Very Proud.

Re: ESPN must be held accountable . . .

Oct 18, 2008, 6:58 PM

TDP has no business being down there in the first place. Stay up in your suite. I am sure Dabo was nervous enough without TDP breathing down his neck...I saw more fight in out team today than any other week this season. With Spiller, we win by 10.

Re: ESPN must be held accountable . . .

Oct 18, 2008, 7:06 PM

Exactly right. TDP has the right to be down on the field, but should he abuse it, nope! His excuse was that Dabos' staff was headed his way because of field position! Get out of the way, and dont any more embarassment to what is already a tough year. Watching that on tv, no matter what was said, just added another lost tooth to our mid-season firing questions. What coach is going to see that on ESPN and think, I cant wait to have the AD standing next to me on 4th and 12,,,,, ZERO.

and Another Coot***

Oct 18, 2008, 11:17 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

You have no business telling TDP where he should be

Oct 18, 2008, 7:56 PM [ in reply to Re: ESPN must be held accountable . . . ]

He is the AD, HE CAN BE ANY ####### WHERE HE WANTS TO BE YOU DIP$HIT!!!

Re: You have no business telling TDP where he should be

Oct 18, 2008, 9:32 PM

Easy, Battlecat...If he wants to coach, slap some headphones on him...

He was not coaching***

Oct 18, 2008, 9:36 PM

6 posts I smell chicken...how about those Coots?***

Oct 18, 2008, 11:29 PM [ in reply to Re: You have no business telling TDP where he should be ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 6 posts I smell chicken...how about those Coots?***

Oct 19, 2008, 11:21 AM

smell this..

smells like a dirty chicken to me COOT***

Oct 19, 2008, 6:35 AM

Re: You have no business telling TDP where he should be

Oct 19, 2008, 11:35 AM [ in reply to Re: You have no business telling TDP where he should be ]

I have no problem with him being on the sideline. How is TDP going to see how Dabo is interacting with the players and coaches from the suite? I feel TDP is giving Dabo every opportunity to win this job and you can tell Dabo is going to do everything he can do to win it.

And you are correct sir...it is no ones business***

Oct 18, 2008, 11:18 PM [ in reply to You have no business telling TDP where he should be ]

COOT***

Oct 18, 2008, 11:17 PM [ in reply to Re: ESPN must be held accountable . . . ]

What really happened....TDP to Dabo: Your fired!***

Oct 18, 2008, 7:05 PM

Re: Terry Don Phillips Issues Statement About Sideline Conversation With Swinney

Oct 18, 2008, 7:12 PM

I liked his press release, but the AD can not be down talking to the coach during the game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Terry Don Phillips Issues Statement About Sideline Conversation With Swinney

Oct 18, 2008, 11:28 PM

he wasn;t that is the point...they both knew it was a BS call

Give em h### TDP!!

Oct 18, 2008, 7:14 PM

Can't stand those idiots anyway.

#### Straight TDP

Oct 18, 2008, 7:47 PM

Those ####### on ESPN were talking us down all day long. 2 quarters of "reporting" on the firing and our players comments, and then making little jabs here and there, like saying someone was run over by Nesbitt, or making assumptions about the TDP-Coach Dabo interaction.

That exchange in particular came off as very damaging to our image and program. My first thought after that comment was "this is great for recruits and coaches to hear..." what a bunch of #######. If I saw Ware on fire, I wouldn't #### on him...maybe punch him in that giant nose of his.

TigerXJ
Clemson University Class of 2007
UNC-CH SOM Class of 2011
Life's Journey is not to arrive at the Grave Safely in a Well Preserved Body. But Rather to Launch Airborne, Land Hard, Slide in Sideways, Totally Worn Out and Thrashed, Screaming "Holy Shit What a Ride!!!"

talk with mark maye too...he had no clue what he was

Oct 18, 2008, 10:37 PM

talking about when he talked about our game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Peyton Manning knows how you feel TDP....

Oct 18, 2008, 10:54 PM

No one in America who knows College Football can tell me that the 1997 Heisman was not taken away from Peyton by ESPN and their dream of delivering it to the michigan DB.

Other than Tim Brown getting it over Gordie Lockbaum, best example of the Heisman not going to the best player.

Sometimes, TDP just needs to shutp and let things go.***

Oct 18, 2008, 11:09 PM

Uh I bet ESPN will be hearing from the lawyers

Oct 18, 2008, 11:27 PM

Ware was down on us all day. I hope he gets booted off air.

Uh I bet our lawyers are familiar with the 1st ammendment.***

Oct 19, 2008, 1:01 AM

You may be correct there, but slandering someone or a

Oct 19, 2008, 5:54 PM

University is not accepted in a civil suit.

In US law, it's a "fair comment" on public figure, no malice***

Oct 19, 2008, 7:32 PM

no malice?***

Oct 20, 2008, 12:12 PM

Re: Uh, ever heard of slander?***

Oct 20, 2008, 12:12 PM [ in reply to Uh I bet our lawyers are familiar with the 1st ammendment.*** ]

at the risk of sounding immature...

Oct 18, 2008, 11:43 PM

...you can't spell P E N I S without E S P N

I cringed when I sawTDP on the sideline on national TV.

Oct 19, 2008, 1:48 AM

When ESPN showed TDP on the sideline on national TV, I also thought it LOOKED really bad in light of the recent coaching change. (I thought that BEFORE the announcers said anything.) I didn't think that TDP was trying to micro-manage the coaches or anything. But I thought it LOOKED really bad. It LOOKED like TDP was breathing down Dabo's neck.

TDP hurt Clemson by being on the sideline during the game because (right or wrong) it LOOKED bad. It makes some people (like the announcers) THINK the worst. That's not good for recruiting coaches or players. And it's not good for Clemson's image.

People may have different opinions on whether or not it looks bad for the AD to be on the sideline after a coaching change. But the simple fact is that because TDP WAS on the sideline, he opened himself up to criticism (right or wrong) on national TV, and cosequently millions of viewers got a bad impression.

I'm sure TDP had no idea that he might create a negative image to some people. He probably thought he was doing a good thing showing support for the new coach. But for the rest of the season, I think it would be best for the university if he stayed off the sideline during the games.

my buddies from other schools called and asked if he

Oct 19, 2008, 1:52 AM

thought he was jerry jones...

I tried to play it off as support, but questioned it too.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I cringed when I sawTDP on the sideline on national TV.

Oct 19, 2008, 9:02 AM [ in reply to I cringed when I sawTDP on the sideline on national TV. ]

TDP is on the sidelines at every game. This week was no different. He was one of the first to greet Dabo after running down the hill. He was there all game long. Too much is being made out of this.

null

Oct 19, 2008, 11:41 AM [ in reply to I cringed when I sawTDP on the sideline on national TV. ]

You are correct, the rest of the games he does need to be in the box however this game it was important for him to be on the field to see how Dabo handled himself and I think Dabo did a great job. I especially like when he sent the punter back on the field when he just casually walked off. That is the changes we need

Oct 19, 2008, 12:15 PM [ in reply to I cringed when I sawTDP on the sideline on national TV. ]

Amen, Razz...My point earlier.

Appearance and Timing

Oct 19, 2008, 8:40 PM [ in reply to I cringed when I sawTDP on the sideline on national TV. ]

Appearance is everything. Seeing TDP on the sideline with Dabo and saying something (not knowing what) but his facial expression was not happy. It appeared he was not happy, whether it was the play calling or the holding penalty. It appeared he was being critical of Dabo.

(A preacher goes into an ABC store what does it appear he is doing?)

Timing is everything. The cameras cut to TDP and Dabo right after the "trick play" to pick up the 3rd and forever. His faced spoke volumes of disguise. My wife he is not a football junky, said to me, it looked like he was chewing Dabo out.

TDP may not have been chewing Dabo out and could have been speaking of the ridiculous holding call but to the TV viewer appearance and timing is everything.

Doesn't matter what he was saying. You never saw him on the

Oct 19, 2008, 12:15 PM

sidelines talking to Bowden during a game and you sure as hell don't see him standing next to Purnell on the Basketball court during a game. The bottom line is that no matter what he said, he can't be there exchanging or bitching about a call or anything for that matter with the Head Coach during a nationally televised game. No one can hear what he's saying and it just doesn't look good, especially with our program in it's current stage. It's not what was said, it's what is perceived. I didn't need ESPN to tell me how that looked. I cringed as soon as I saw it. It was a bad move and hopefully he keeps himself in the background from now on.

Re: Doesn't matter what he was saying. You never saw him on the

Oct 20, 2008, 9:48 AM

Oh yes you did see him on the sidelines during TB's career. He was on the sideline during the Maryland game and he looked mad as a hornet. You only had to look for him to see him over the years.

Oct 20, 2008, 8:27 AM

ESPN is in bed with the SEC.

They will do everything possible to downplay the ACC, and promote the SEC.

And it's a long term deal.

Yeah right. ESPN and everybody else who knows football.***

Oct 20, 2008, 11:27 AM

Replies: 49
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic