Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Roy Martin: Change is Difficult
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1,405

Oct 16, 2008, 12:47 AM

Everyone is affected by a coaching change, but none more so than the players. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Change is good when the diaper is full.

Oct 16, 2008, 3:40 AM

Geez Roy. That was about the most depressing article that I read all week. Cheer up. Hope lives in Tigertown again!

I liked and respected my coaches to various degrees, but I played because I LOVED TO PLAY, not because I loved the coach. I hope that the players will play their hearts out for the love of the game, the team, and the NFL. The players adapted just fine when they left their homes, friends, and families to go away to college, so they should be able to handle a coaching shuffle.

I think most fans were behind TB for the first 6 yrs or so. So I think everyone will rally around Dabo for AT LEAST the rest of the season, and they'll probably rally around the team for the rest of their lives.

Personally, I don't even care about the wins and losses the rest of the season. I just want to see everybody from the coaches to the players, playing balls-out, motivating each other, and leaving the stadium with their heads held high.

A win against GT would be huge for morale & confidence. But considering the circumstances and the opponent, a loss shouldn't be the end of the world. I'm calling for a win.

HOPE LIVES! GO TIGERS! 11-3!

I'm with ya, Razz!!

Oct 16, 2008, 6:38 AM

I think people sell these "kids" short a lot of times. Sure, it was a shock for them at first. But I think most of them are mature to the point of keeping their priorities in order and moving forward with the cards they now hold. It help tremendously that Dabo is an easy guy to get behind. I don't know if we beat GT Saturday or not, but I feel much more confident that they {GT} will leave DV battered and bruised, win or lose, than I did 4-5 days ago.

Change is hard??? Well sure it is. But it often reaps benefits, if only your attitude allows you to embrace and make the best of it.

dabo may have an impossible task-our toughest away/home

Oct 16, 2008, 6:57 AM

schedule run in a while must be practically aced if he is to get head coach job.i think a better prepared,harder playing team would be a success,i.e., a series of miami games.but can you hire him if we look great,but lose?

I wonder what is more difficult

Oct 16, 2008, 7:46 AM

Being 3-3 after being pre-season #9 or changing head coaches?

WARNING: all material posted by kfast600 is not to be taken seriously and can make you dumber than you were before, if that is actually possible.

Re: Roy Martin: Change is Difficult

Oct 16, 2008, 10:07 AM

"I think the best case scenario is for Swinney to be coaching the Tigers this time next year." If I hear or see anymore comments like this I'm going to puke. I am so sick of Clemson nation acting like Dabo is a god. I think he is an impressive man, but he has only been the head coach for just over 3 days. This is Clemson University...a very prestigious job. This isn't the type of program that people use as a stepping stone, or where coaches come to cut their teeth. This is a program that attracts proven coaches that know how to win and have already earned their stripes. Settle down and take off the orange colored glasses. I think emotionally we would be pumped about the interim head coach regardless of who they had named b/c we were so starved for a spark or change in the program. Lets take a deep breath and look at this thing clearly and consider all of our options as to who can lead this program. I can promise you that there are candidates out there that are highly interested in this program that are as or much more qualified than Dabo, so relax and let this thing play itself out. Maybe in the end it will be Dabo but it is ignorant to think this early that he is the answer at clemson.

Oct 16, 2008, 10:13 AM

Regardless of who is out there who might want the job, the best case scenario is for Dabo Swinney to succeed and become the permanent coach.

If you don't see that clearly then you haven't been paying attention.

We could identify and hire the next Nick Sabin and we are still going to lose recruiting momentum and it will cost us a year or two of progress. Best case.

Worst case, we end up like Nebraska ...

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2008, 10:21 AM

Doesn't matter what kind of recruiting momentum we have if we don't have the right individual to coach and develop the athletes. I know that all too well b/c I have been paying attention quite closely over the last decade. The best recruiting momentum is winning and there are plenty of coaches that can do that with players that have equal or less talent than our football program. There are more option out there that should be strongly considered other than just Dabo.

Oct 16, 2008, 10:25 AM

The past decade is over. All options WILL be considered.

Dabo succeeding = "winning", so your own argument supports Dabo as the best option for Clemson football.

I won't argue with you because it's clear your mind is made up.

I'll just say that writing Dabo off before he coaches one game is just wrong.

Oct 16, 2008, 10:28 AM

so far you have attracted 1/3 of his post...good job apex

I'm talking to a noob???***

Oct 16, 2008, 10:29 AM

Oct 16, 2008, 10:34 AM [ in reply to Re: Roy Martin: Change is Difficult ]

you obviously entirely missed the point that I was making in my first post. I agree with leaving Dabo as an option. I am merely opposed to those whose minds are already "made up" that swinney should be the next head coach. I think that is very naive considering that he has only been on the job for just over three days. Sure, if he can win and bring us ACC championships and BCS births in the future that's great, but too many fans are treating him like he has already done that for us. All I am saying is that he should be a candidate for the head coaching job, but not the only one.

Oct 16, 2008, 10:38 AM

Then you missed Roy Martin's point.

Obviously he means the best case scenario is for Dabo to be coaching this time next year .... because ... he has gotten the job done this year.

I don't know a soul who would automatically support retaining an interim guy who doesn't show he can turn things around.

If he is super-successful then he may get the job without an interview.

If he is moderately successful, he will have to fight for the job.

If he is a dud, he won't even be a candidate.

Oct 16, 2008, 10:44 AM

trust me i am already hearing certain individuals on WCCP making excuses for him if he can't turn things around this season. That is the mentality that scares me b/c we had to listen to excuses as to why something could not be accomplished over the last several years. In the end I'm sure we can both agree that we just want this program to move forward and to be successful regardless of who takes the helm. Go Tigers!

Mickey called for Dabo!!!! Of course we will win out!

Oct 17, 2008, 12:53 PM

We have to trust Mickey's judgement.

Oct 16, 2008, 12:36 PM

These guys are like paid employees deal with it and move on. If they want to go to the NFL their feeling better be in check. I like Dabo but he still needs to win. He was part of the problem when Bowden was here, now he has the chance to be part of the solution. NO TEN YEAR Chance.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2008, 7:57 PM

Nice way to capture it Roy. Well written.

Just want to throw my 2 cents in...

Oct 17, 2008, 10:57 AM

Prior to the change, I was going to the GT game this weekend, but I really wasn't all that excited about it.

After the change, I will be there with bells on, jacked up, ready to scream my face off for our team and program.

I think a lot of us out here feel the same way.

This change was something that was definitely needed, and I feel strongly that the vast majority of the Tiger nation feels the same way - including our players - as evidenced by their play through the last 6 quarters.

I am not worried at all. In fact, my spirit has been re-energized.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1,405
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic