Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bowden Steps Down as Head Coach at Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 52
| visibility 1

Oct 13, 2008, 1:29 PM

Clemson University and Head Football Coach Tommy Bowden parted ways on Monday. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's a new day in Tiger Town.......***

Oct 13, 2008, 1:31 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

THE TIGERS ARE IN MY HEART..... BUT THE DUCKS ARE IN MY PANTS....

"Steps down"...what was the severance pay then?***

Oct 13, 2008, 1:31 PM

Obviously a deal

Oct 13, 2008, 1:59 PM

You step down and we'll pay the buyout. Best for all. Gives the appearance of an accord.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Obviously a deal

Oct 13, 2008, 3:12 PM

So, how much is/was the buy-out?? I've heard 2mil,2.5 mil and 4 mil

End of an era.***

Oct 13, 2008, 1:32 PM

End of an ERROR***

Oct 13, 2008, 2:13 PM

POTD***

Oct 13, 2008, 2:51 PM

Germans***

Oct 13, 2008, 1:32 PM

"Excuse me? I don't go down to your work and tell you how to flip the burger!"

does stepping down= fired or resigning?***

Oct 13, 2008, 1:34 PM

Re: Bowden Steps Down as Head Coach at Clemson

Oct 13, 2008, 1:37 PM

Bowden will leave with 2.3 million dollars owed to him payable over the 6 years left in his contract. Why oh why did we keep him from going to Arkansas?

I wish him nothing but the best. He's a great guy

Oct 13, 2008, 1:39 PM

but he's not the guy that Clemson football needs right now.

Oct 13, 2008, 1:40 PM

Is he taking any of the coaching staff with him?
some need early retirement

Oct 13, 2008, 1:43 PM

HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYY. 'bout time y'all!!! But seriously folks, anytime someone gets let go it's a hard decision not like you would think. but he's been given enough time, and in todays win now world he has beat the odds for quite some time. and now a word from our sponsors. picture a world where a team is winning with class,style,spunk and desire. where victory is achived with work and will. defense,offense skill players dazzle fans, championships are fought for and won.now picture this with tommy bowden at the helm. What the picture is dark??? no picture at all?? Exactly!!

Oct 13, 2008, 1:45 PM

Great guy, graduated players, but in the bigger scope of things, led us to only 1 good bowl win (Tennessee in 2003) in 10 years.

Mediocrity is the killer...

Best of Luck to TB and his family. Keep it classy!***

Oct 13, 2008, 1:55 PM

Oct 13, 2008, 2:01 PM

It IS a new day in Tigertown. Let's move on and win some games. Only think I care about today is beating Georgia Tech!

So...................

Oct 13, 2008, 2:07 PM

How many people are meeting up at the Esso to celebrate?

Re: So...................

Oct 13, 2008, 2:45 PM

ALL OF CLEMSON WILL BE DRUNK TONIGHT!!!!!!!! CLEMSON MAY BE TOP 20 IN ACADEMICS....BUT WE ARE #1 IN KNOWING HOW TO PARTY!!!! THANKS MICKEY!!!!

What about Spence? Please tell me Spence won't call plays.***

Oct 13, 2008, 2:16 PM

MICKEY GOT SPENCE FIRED!!!!!!!WK TO CALL OWN PLAYS!!!***

Oct 13, 2008, 2:23 PM

Re: What about Spence? Please tell me Spence won't call plays.***

Oct 13, 2008, 2:26 PM [ in reply to What about Spence? Please tell me Spence won't call plays.*** ]

Yahoo Sports reported Spence as fired also

Re: What about Spence? Please tell me Spence won't call plays.***

Oct 13, 2008, 2:41 PM [ in reply to What about Spence? Please tell me Spence won't call plays.*** ]

Spence should pack his bags also.

Players had unkind words about Bowden after the announcement

Oct 13, 2008, 2:26 PM

For those of you who said that firing Bowden would hurt the team because the players respect him, read this article and the player quotes from ESPN...
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3641028

Harper said, "It's what he deserved."

Spiller said, "I enjoyed playing for coach Bowden and I liked him, but in the end he was yelling at us to be leaders and it wasn't working. He did all he could to motivate us but guys weren't buying into what he was saying. And he said a lot of the same things over and over again.

"He let the offensive coordinator run the show and we got away from me and James. I think part of the problem was when he benched Cullen. Some people wanted the offensive coordinator fired, [Bowden benched] the quarterback and then he got fired."

Harper's words are bad form, maybe the truth,but sour grapes***

Oct 13, 2008, 2:43 PM

Re: Harper's words are bad form, maybe the truth,but sour grapes***

Oct 13, 2008, 2:47 PM

FIRE HARPER!!!! HE HAS BEEN JADED SINCE WE RECRUITED WK. MICKEY YOUR 2 FOR 2......GET CULLEN GONE!!!!

Re: Harper's words are bad form, maybe the truth,but sour grapes***

Oct 13, 2008, 4:41 PM

Yea, No need for Cullen to be the center of all this with his words, which may be true, but I am sure it comes to the heels for WK starting on Sat. I wonder what is next out of Cullens mouth when WK starts for the rest of the year and Cullen has a nice seat cushion on the bench....

Cullen has no class, he is a good athlete, but when you have all skills and no class, your still a loser.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Regardless of Coaching, Harper Should Be Benched

Oct 13, 2008, 4:44 PM

he is having a HORRENDOUS year. he has no clue what he is doing, and he drops back to pass and throws it directly to the defense...its like he doesnt even care to look before he throws.

and if he doesnt throw, he stands there like a scared wuss and takes another 10yd sack.

Screw you, Cullen harper, for bad mouthing a man who has given a lot more to Clemson University than you ever will.

Could not agree with you more.........

Oct 13, 2008, 9:14 PM

Not very classy to badmouth someone that gave you a shot even after you showed everyone how "good" you really are.

Facts are that Harper has done absolutely nothing this year but screw up. Let's be honest, bad playing calling or not, Harper can't hit anyone in stride, hangs Ford among others out to dry by throwing high passes, etc. The list goes on......

It will be interesting to see what happens this weekend with the quarterback situation......

Re: Regardless of Coaching, Harper Should Be Benched

Oct 13, 2008, 10:08 PM [ in reply to Regardless of Coaching, Harper Should Be Benched ]

Get your facts straight! Harper was talking about Sweeney's promotion to interim head coach not Bowden's dismissal. He was refereing to Sweeney getting what he deserved. The FULL quote is as follows:

"It's what he deserved. Dabo Swinney is a fine man and will do an excellent job."

RAZ conveniently left out the last part as it did not help him vilianize Harper.

Re: Players had unkind words about Bowden after the announcement

Oct 13, 2008, 9:59 PM [ in reply to Players had unkind words about Bowden after the announcement ]

You're mis-quoting Harper. He was talking about Sweeney's promotion not Bowden's dismissal. Sweeney got what he deserved, a shot at being a head coach. The full quote is

"It's what he deserved. Dabo Swinney is a fine man and will do an excellent job."

that is incorrect....

Oct 13, 2008, 10:19 PM

he was referring to Bowden when he said he got what he deserved. Talking about Dabo when he said he would do an excellent job. He text messaged espn guy back and verified that is what he meant

Re: that is incorrect....

Oct 13, 2008, 11:01 PM

That is how I read the article. But a second read and you seem to be correct. Of course, you never can tell for sure with the media. They have a habit of manipulating words to get the story they want. Yes, even in sports medai.

But he probably does have a little anomosity towards Bowden. And I don't blame him. How would you feel if you showed up for work on Monday and your boss came in and said you didn't get my message? You're fired! I think Bowden got what he deserved too. This has nothing to do with being a good guy, a christian, or running a clean program. This has to do with major under acheiving with a team that everyone knows has championship talent. And that is why he is gone. And according to TDP it was Bowden's idea, so I guess he just got what he asked for.

Nevertheless, this is an exciting time in Clemson football!

So I wonder if Dabo will still start Willy Korn. Hope so.

Oct 13, 2008, 3:00 PM

If so, what a way for Willy to start his career. Wow!

Season Korn and throw him in to the fire. Yum...

Re: So I wonder if Dabo will still start Willy Korn. Hope so.

Oct 13, 2008, 3:29 PM

I'd be suprised if he changed back to Harper (Harper's comments probably wont help him get back into the starting role despite the fact that they are so true). Although I think he should since the problems with the offense are not soley Harper's fautlt. The entire offense has not played well and our play calling is awful. Of course, now that Spence is gone too that should no longer be a problem (I hope).

The worst part is we will never know if Korn would have done better with Bowden and Spence. My thoughts are probably not.

But hopefully we can salvage a winning season, with Korn or Harper or both.

Re: So I wonder if Dabo will still start Willy Korn. Hope so.

Oct 13, 2008, 4:43 PM

I thinkn Korn should be given a shot regardless. If you look at the past few games, Cullen runs like he has concrete blocks on his feet, as well as all the passes here as of late, even the ones that have been caught have been thrown behind the recievers.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 13, 2008, 3:12 PM

is the press conference on tv?

Who is this "Mickey" that everyone keeps talking about?

Oct 13, 2008, 3:46 PM

Anyway, it was time for a change. To me, TB was more like football junkie/fan (he knew all sorts of stats) than a coach or a master strategist. Further, he can not be faulted if a player can not make a play, or drops a ball, but how about consistent clock management issues, come out of half and have penalties and timeout on 3 straight plays? So many losses where clock mgt and decision making at the end was suspect; for these kind of salaries one should get some very sharp brain power that can quickly on its feet, under pressure, know what to do. TB was not it.

I agree that he ran a clean program, that does matter to me, and thanks for that.

Mainly he was lucky - he had a run when USC was down, and that kept him in the job despite bascially close to 4.5-3.5 record in ACC year after year. Also, FSU is down, and we measure success if we can beat or not. Since results do matter at these levels of pay (or it should matter - see Wall Street and CEO pay for a detachment between performance and pay), it is time for a change. The contract extension was HUGE error - i was disappointed they did not let him go to arkansas. It would have been the best way to get the chnage we needed. TDP did not do this right.

Go Tigers.

Oct 13, 2008, 3:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Bowden Steps Down as Head Coach at Clemson ]

"Included in the list of ranked wins are three of Clemson’s six top 10 road wins in history. He led the Tigers with a win at ninth-ranked Georgia Tech in 2001, 10th ranked Miami (FL) in 2004 and ninth ranked Florida State in 2006."

Hey don't forget about #6 Tennessee at the '04 Peach Bowl!

New coach. New hope. Go Tigers! 7-0! Wouldn't THAT be funny?***

Oct 13, 2008, 3:46 PM

Re: New coach. New hope. Go Tigers! 7-0! Wouldn't THAT be fu

Oct 13, 2008, 4:16 PM

If we could only get OBAMA!! We could have hope AND change!!

YIPPEEE....

So, what's the word on Muschamp?

Re: New coach. New hope. Go Tigers! 7-0! Wouldn't THAT be fu

Oct 13, 2008, 4:21 PM

Muschamp will be at Auburn.

Cowher at tennessee.

USC guy at Washington.

Is the 5:15 conference on TV????

Oct 13, 2008, 4:38 PM

Does anyone know if the press conference is on TV or can be viewed online? Pretty big moment in Clemson football history and I would like to see it.

Best of Luck Tommy and Linda and Bowden family.

Oct 13, 2008, 5:24 PM

Good luck TB thank you for 10 great years for running a class program. Thank you for what you have done for this program. You and your family are in my prayers.

Best of luck in the future. My God Bless you during this difficult time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wish the best, but.......

Oct 13, 2008, 6:02 PM

I wish the best to TB and family. He is a great christian man and has done alot aside from coach. People keep saying he GAVE us so much over the last 9 years, but lets not forget that coaching football is still a job. He was paid well and will still be paid well over the next 6 years. Even finding another job and being paid two salaries. So remember that what was given on the football field was paid for not given. No different than you and I getting paid for our days labor. You wouldn't give any more than what you were paid to do and if you did any less of what was expected you would not last long. Tiger fans gave more than they received and will give over the next six.

If Bowden were a good man, he wouldn't take the full $3.5M.

Oct 13, 2008, 6:29 PM

Bowden tried to trick Clemson into giving him a contract extension and buyout, even though Arkansas never offered him the job. So if he's such a good person, he wouldn't force Clemson to pay him the full $3.5M. He didn't earn it. He swindled it.

Re: If Bowden were a good man, he wouldn't take the full $3.5M.

Oct 13, 2008, 6:38 PM

RAZZ...I KNOW YOU ARE VERY SMART...WITH MULTIPLE SOURCES INCLUDING ESPN.....BUT MICKEY...SAID ARKANSAS WAS A DONE DEAL. HE GOT CTB AND RS FIRED AND DABO PUT IN LIKE HE WANTED SO HE MUST BE RIGHT. HE SAID IT ON HIS SHOW MANY TIMES...THAT HE WAS "MINUTES" AWAY. MAYBE HE CAN STOP PAYMENT ON THE 1ST CHECK...LOL RAZZ..WE ALSO FORGOT ABOUT CBS, THE O-LINE IS HORRIBLE....GIVE US SOME STATS...AND WE WILL GET MICKEY TO GET HIS EX-COOT COACHING SELF FIRED TOO. CLEAN HOUSE....GO TIGERS!!!!

Seriously...

Oct 13, 2008, 7:54 PM

...lay off the caps. Are you twelve? Nobody will listen if all you do is SCREAM

CNBC: Stock market rallies on news of Bowden's dismissal.***

Oct 13, 2008, 6:35 PM

Oct 13, 2008, 6:57 PM

Best wishes Tommy Bowden-although I was not pleased with our play this year, I respect you as a man and as a coach. You are a CLASS ACT and thank you for your support and hard work over the last decade!!
I wish you and your family much success in the future!!

Harper's Comments misrepresented by the media...

Oct 13, 2008, 9:34 PM

Once again our media creates controversy by misrepresenting a persons' words. Cullen Haper was quoted saying "It's what he deserved. Dabo Swinney is a fine man and will do an excellent job." This is in reacton to the promotion of Sweeney to interim head coach NOT Bowden stepping down.

I think it is poor journalism by ESPN to end the piece on Bowden with only the first portion of Harper's quote "He got what he deserved". Twisting words to create a story for ratings. Sad.

I stand corrected...***

Oct 13, 2008, 11:02 PM

bill cowher for head coach***

Oct 14, 2008, 4:32 PM

Replies: 52
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic