Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bowden Makes A Change at Quarterback
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 45
| visibility 1

Oct 10, 2008, 3:41 PM

Clemson head coach will bench pre-season ACC Player of the Year Cullen Harper and start Willy Korn. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

One word: smokescreen.

Oct 10, 2008, 3:44 PM

Bowden should be ashamed.

null

Is that a variation on the bubble screen cause I want to see

Oct 10, 2008, 5:37 PM

that.

wait, he said before that playing him didn't offer an

Oct 10, 2008, 3:46 PM

advantage. All of a sudden it does?

And, he has to ask Spence's permission to make the move.

TB should not be on the sidelines next week!!!

####

Photobucket

Typical Bowden....reactive - not proactive!***

Oct 10, 2008, 3:47 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he's gonna fix all of this in the off season....***

Oct 10, 2008, 4:02 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: he's gonna fix all of this in the off season....***

Oct 11, 2008, 6:12 AM

He better not be here next season,or i for one wont be there.Bowden and Spence are sorry excuses for what we call coaches.I hope they are both gone in a few days.

Re: Bowden....reactive - not proactive so notihing changes

Oct 12, 2008, 7:01 PM [ in reply to Typical Bowden....reactive - not proactive!*** ]

As other coaches move at half time and mid season offensive coordinator changes Clemson takes no action
Why even bother to announce Korn and tell Ga Tech ahead of time - not typical bowden

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

CUTIGERTIM
Clemson Rat 1968
Clemson fan forever

Glad we didn't

Oct 10, 2008, 3:50 PM

give Ga Tech all week to prepare for a mobile QB
Oh wait . . .

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

Re: Glad we didn't

Oct 10, 2008, 3:54 PM

What a bunch of morons. Why don't we send GT our playbook as well. Are you kidding me? Get rid of Bowden/Spence. Everyone needs to email Terry Don Phillips and let him know how you feel. pterry@clemson.edu

Oct 10, 2008, 4:28 PM

They already know our playbook. Anybody with a little football knowledge can se what we are going to run offensively before we even do it. That is why the offense is so bad. It is so much harder to defend an offense when you don't know what they are going to do. Last night was a prime example of WF keying off of our sets and knowing exactly what was going to happen. It also doesn't help that you can't throw the ball more then 5 yards down field. Hence, the 8 or 9 men in the box all night. I am sure Korn will help the offense as Harper just wasn't doing a good job of making decisions this year. However, if we run the same offense then we are not going to be seeing much of an improvement against good defenses.

Oct 10, 2008, 6:30 PM

Very true. It is quite evident that a change in coaching personnel is needed and not a change in QB. Cullen has been a class act and a very good QB while at Clemson. Throwing him under the bus shows how class-less Bowden/Spence are. He has never complained even when he has had terrible protection and bad play calls. I do wish he would audible more and not hold on to the ball so long, but easier said that done. I wish Korn the best of luck, but right now talent is not the problem.

Oct 10, 2008, 11:56 PM

I completely agree. This is just another example of Bowden trying to pass the blame a/the player(s). He is basically saying the Harper is the problem with the poor offensive play this season. And the fact that he didn't wait to talk to Haper before making the announcement is classless. The fact that he would do that to a Senior QB who holds almost all of Clemson's single season passing records is dispicable.

I hope Korn does well and Clemson can salvage what is left of this season. But the bottom line is Bowden and Spence and the o-line coach should be fired immediately.

Oct 10, 2008, 5:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Glad we didn't ]

I did last night and I got a response back saying:

Thank you very much for your email and expressing your concerns. Please know that your email has been reviewed and your points are duly noted; however, we will not respond to personnel-related issues.

Again, thank you for your correspondence.

I actually worked hard to keep it as clean as possible.

A week or two to late***

Oct 10, 2008, 3:52 PM

Re: A week or two to late*** Right On***

Oct 12, 2008, 7:01 PM

CUTIGERTIM
Clemson Rat 1968
Clemson fan forever

hail mary. how about finding out from a press conference?***

Oct 10, 2008, 3:53 PM

better than that "Hail Nancy" we threw last night***

Oct 10, 2008, 3:58 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TAKE SPENCE OUT TO***

Oct 10, 2008, 3:57 PM

Bowden Makes A Change at Quarterback-wow classy

Oct 10, 2008, 3:58 PM

CH finding out from a press conference.

Also re Spence if his body of work is impressive I never ever want to see unimpressive.

THis is Tommy's last ditch effort and that it has come to this to get those two, well ok three knuckleheads if you count TDP, to do this is sad. Truely truely sad.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bowden Makes A Change at Quarterback-wow classy

Oct 11, 2008, 6:51 PM

He found out from a phone call. Tommy called him. Regardless of what else you think about him, he is a good guy.

wait, haven't many of us said korn would do better because

Oct 10, 2008, 4:01 PM

he's mobile

####, some of US just might know a little football....LOL

Re: Bowden Makes A Change at Quarterback

Oct 10, 2008, 4:03 PM

Has TB forgotten how to coach? Or has he ever really known?? Every year the team pulls him out of the hot seat only to prolong the inevitable....he's GOT to go! Or we may never see Clemson football as it should be again!

Too little....too late!***

Oct 10, 2008, 4:56 PM

Oct 10, 2008, 5:10 PM

I am not a spence fan and I agree that he still sucks, but I think a lot of people will be shocked what our offence can do with a more productive quarterback. Cullen really was "that bad" this year. When he throws a 5 yard pass behind the reciever every play how can you expect him to throw down the field to a target 5 times farther???? This is a great move by the coaching staff, I'm just sad that it took them this long and had to go through so much politics to get it done. As far as the O-Line, I think you will see a totally different Line. It is much easier to block for a quarterback who is able to scramble away and avoid tackles. When Cullen just stood there and didn't move, it is almost impossible to block that. Opposing teams know exactly where to rush EVERY TIME! With no possiblity of the QB rolling out of the pocket or escaping a pass rush, you can blitz on just about every play. If they try that and Korn breaks free only one time the D-Line will tone it down and play more coverage allowing our running game to take off and give the QB more time. We pressured the Wake O-Line and Quarterback almost more than they pressured us, but the key was that their quarterback made some very athletic plays to keep us on our toes. Just my thoughts, but I can promise you our offense will look like something totally different from what we have seen all year. Who cares if they know we have a running threat at QB now. Heck, everyone knows TB can run, but that still dosn't stop him from being productive!!! Geez, all this negativity. We all want Spence and TB gone, but this is the one good move our coaching staff has made all year long. I still want us to WIN, and I think this move gives us the best shot of doing so. Good day and GO TIGERS!

Oct 10, 2008, 5:17 PM

Here we go again, spineless Bowden not blaming the bad coaching and himself, yet blaming the players. Poor Harper can't even get the news from Bowden, he has to find out in a press conference. Spineless like his father. Korn will draw a crowd b/c people want to see him play and fans will be excited, but when this poor kid has had NO experience you are going to throw him under center in a big game. Spineless. Korn should have been given more time a long time ago that is how you develop players. The fans are restless and angry and when the bad coaching shows up in the Ga. Tech game, the fans are going to give Korn ####. Don't worry Spence, I have a proven track record too...complete anger for your terrible coaching. Way to ruin Clemson Football. Fire Tommy!

Oct 10, 2008, 5:31 PM

"We feel like we have struggled a little bit (offensively), and we need to find a spark," Bowden said to the media. "We have some injuries, and we need to evaluate our plan of attack. A mobile quarterback gives you a different look and more options.

"He runs better, so if the protection breaks down, you still have a chance to make a positive play. We have to find that spark."

Really???? and you get paid HOW MUCH to figure this out???
A little too late Mr. Bowden !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oct 28, 2024, 3:04 PM

I've kinda been waiting for WK's first shot. I hate it comes under these circumstances.....but I will be there next Saturday if for no other reason than that.

And that is one of the main reasons why Bowden made this

Oct 10, 2008, 5:58 PM

announcement today, rather than surprising Georgia Tech next Saturday with a QB they had not prepared for.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

don't want Bowden to make anymore changes!!

Oct 10, 2008, 5:39 PM

I want TDP to make just one change!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

can Korn throw good backward laterals 3 seconds after snap?***

Oct 10, 2008, 5:41 PM

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Re: can Korn throw good backward laterals 3 seconds after sn

Oct 10, 2008, 10:00 PM

Nice.

Nick Saban told him to start Korn vs GT***

Oct 10, 2008, 10:10 PM

WOW...just WOW, TB couldn't get in touch with Harper????????

Oct 10, 2008, 10:19 PM

CH has a phone correct? Send a text, call a buddy.

This is unreal....

TB and RS have lost it.

Does anyone remember Tommy's first comment to Tiger Nation?

Oct 10, 2008, 10:21 PM

"Ya'll gave me Tommy West's jacket!!"

Oh so true.

Oct 11, 2008, 1:07 AM

Too little too late! Tommy Bowden,you better be fired.Take Rob Spence with you and get out of Clemson.

Why let GT gameplan for Korn? TB puts himself above the team

Oct 11, 2008, 2:42 AM

It's so pathetic that Bowden would announce now that Korn is starting and hurt Clemson's chances of beating GT by surprising GT with a more mobile QB. In order to maintain an element of surprise, Nick Saban doesn't even allow the press at practices. I guess Tommy didn't call Nick for advice on that.

It's so pathetic that Bowden would rather lose the respect of his players by covering his own butt and announcing the QB shuffle to the press before telling Harper and the team.

What is the advantage to the team in making this announcement? It hurts the team in two ways. But Bowden doesn't care. Bowden is just taking pressure off of himself. It's disgusting. I used to think that he was a good guy. But now I can see that when push comes to shove, he's looking out for #1.

Harper has been playing poorly, but Spence is by far the bigger problem.

Memo to Georgia Tech on how to beat Clemson: Rob Spence is afraid of throwing downfield so stack the box and sell-out to stop Spence's run & screen offense. You WILL win.

Spence is so incompetent. How can Bowden possibly let him call plays again? I just can't believe it.

Yeah spence's 3 year trecord of whipping up on 1-AA teams

Oct 11, 2008, 3:09 AM

Speaks for itself.

Tommy if you would have done it in the second Q @ wake

Oct 11, 2008, 10:40 AM

we might have won. Wow why not wait until the last minute to surprise GT. Oh no you have to show your cards again. Well I am sure we will see the same crappy play calling.

He makes how much money to figure this out this late???? ***

Oct 11, 2008, 10:45 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

'Nuff said!

It's only a few hundred per mistake***

Oct 11, 2008, 3:16 PM

Oct 11, 2008, 2:11 PM

We in Tiger Nation are having our emotions and loyalty unfairly manipulated in the interest of buying time for TB.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 12, 2008, 5:53 PM

TDP,fire this piece of crap we call a head football coach.

Oct 12, 2008, 6:58 PM

And why not at half time in the Wake game
your too #### late now
We have issues with the Offense - Spence
and the O Line - Brad Scott
What is being done about it
Dabo's boys are not so steller this year either
Watching Texas, Oklaoma, Florida, LSU I am embarrased for Clemson Football

CUTIGERTIM
Clemson Rat 1968
Clemson fan forever

Oct 13, 2008, 10:53 AM

Making a change at QB is NOT the answer!!! that is only a "band-aid" and overlooks the fact that Coach B is unable to get this team out of their funk. now they may use the switch this week as motivation and win, but for the future the smart choice is to make a sweep of the coaching staff, take your lumps and build for the future.Bottom line coach Bowden can't coach.

Re: TDP makes A Change at Quarterback

Oct 13, 2008, 12:51 PM

Well TDP fixed that

CUTIGERTIM
Clemson Rat 1968
Clemson fan forever

Replies: 45
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic