Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Commentary: Institutional Protocol?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Apr 27, 2008, 5:04 PM

More like flying by the seat of your pants, our Dan Scott says in this new opinion piece. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Award-winning commentary......

Apr 27, 2008, 5:07 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It was new info. Not accepting the status quo from those

Apr 28, 2008, 12:12 PM

blue bellies (both dark blue and light blue) should be a priority for ALL ACC institutions . . .

It is NOT beating a dead horse.

Re: Commentary: Institutional Protocol?

Apr 27, 2008, 5:23 PM

Somebody tell Duke, "THIS IS DIVISION 1 BASEBALL!...Go play intramurals, brother.""

Who is John Galt...***

Apr 27, 2008, 5:24 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

next time we play Duke at Littlejohn

Apr 27, 2008, 5:24 PM

if it looks like we're going to lose, Purnell should have someone spill a Gatorade cooler on the court, claim our maintenance crew had gone home for the day, then take his team to the locker room and the deem the court as unplayable.

Wonder how Swoffie would treat that one?

Re: next time we play Duke at Littlejohn

Apr 28, 2008, 10:55 AM

One would think Duke plays on a slippery court being that their players are constantly hitting the deck.

But Dan... Remember McNally stated that no one wanted to

Apr 27, 2008, 6:04 PM

play the game more than he did. LOL.

ACC and Duke need to explain some more about this.

Apr 27, 2008, 6:49 PM

WHAT IS THEIR EMAIL ADDRESSES.

jackson@duaa.duke.edu

Apr 27, 2008, 8:07 PM

Jon Jackson:

jackson@duaa.duke.edu

He is a representative to the public for duke athletics. Bear in mind that, while he is just doing his job, he is stubborn and arrogant in his defense of their athletic program.

Give him hελλ

I hope we beat the everliving #######

Apr 27, 2008, 7:30 PM

out of duke come football season.

Good lawd man.....................................

Apr 27, 2008, 9:18 PM

Get over it!! If this issue were one where it could affect us hosting or winning the regular season I can see the whining. But it doesn't. Sure, it is a game that could play out to actually have a minor effect when it is all said and done but so are many, many others things that have occured this year. All of which WE could have controlled on the field! But we didn't. Did any of us think that Duke was somehow the epitome of how to run a baseball program..................if so I missed it somewhere along the line.

All the whining is just getting way old, purely my opinion.

Meanwhile................GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Clem---this has more to do with the holier than

Apr 27, 2008, 9:32 PM

thou dook attitude across the board than one silly baseball game. Anytime you can uncover obvious hypocrisy on tobacco road its worth exposing.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Orange Googlers Unite

Save Tigernet--Boot the coots(you know who I mean).

Clemfan... I almost always agree with you... but

Apr 27, 2008, 9:44 PM [ in reply to Good lawd man..................................... ]

Here I think there are a few reasons why Dan is right in pursuing this and it not just something that we should say "get over it" about.

1) This is about sportsmanship more than anything. Baseball has always been about sportsmanship and, even though other sports have taken some of baseball's spotlight, sportsmanship is more a part of the game than it is in any other sport. And I like it that way. Calling Duke out on one of the worst acts of sportsmanship in recent history is justified. And if you don't think it's one of the worst acts of sportsmanship in recent history, ask a few of your baseball friends to name something worse in the last few years. I'm interested in hearing the answers. Maybe the Braves minor league manager. Maybe Arod's yell. That's the only other things I can think of off the top of my head. And I asked a couple of people with baseball knowledge far beyond mine and they agreed.

2) It's also about more than baseball. To Clemson sports fans beyond just the sport of baseball, this is just another example of the ACC office trying to rename the league the North Carolina Conference. Had it been Virginia Tech, it would have been less of an issue (although the sportsmanship issue would still dominate) because they are not in Tobacco Road.

3) Finally, I agree than we have not done some things that we could have controlled on the field this year. But this team needs a little kick in the pants. And maybe a little anger over this incident was just what the doctor ordered. This being used as a motivation tool is part of coaching - and I imagine a great coach like JL has used and will continue to use this to the team's advantage.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You lost me at baseball having the most...

Apr 27, 2008, 9:56 PM

...sportsmanship as part of the game.

I love baseball...but there's no game that has, arguably encourages, more gamesmanship.

What Duke did is crap, and not gamesmanship...but let's not pretend folks haven't pushed it.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

You are exactly right!

Apr 27, 2008, 10:17 PM

Stealing signs, throwing at batters, breakingup a double play, decoying a runner on a hit and run, scuffing the ball, watering down the infield against a fast, base stealing team, etc.

Re: Disagree. You can't get rewarded for flopping in

Apr 27, 2008, 11:12 PM [ in reply to You lost me at baseball having the most... ]

baseball.

You ought to be supporting this, rather than urging it to be

Apr 27, 2008, 9:54 PM [ in reply to Good lawd man..................................... ]

swept under the rug. If not for Clemson, at least for the sport. If Duke can't be bothered to come up with a consistent policy, and chooses to change the rules whenever it benefits them, then Clemson is playing at a disadvantage. It's a hard to play a game when the other team is playing by their own rules.

Re: Good lawd man.....................................

Apr 27, 2008, 10:23 PM [ in reply to Good lawd man..................................... ]

I think the point here is that if it isn't addressed fully now and fixed, it may affect us or someone else down the road. It is pure and simple hyprocrisy and they were not fully truthful in explaining it. The ACC just says that okay Duke.

Re: Good lawd man.....................................

Apr 28, 2008, 7:30 AM

Why don't we make sure that we are not in this position by getting some runs earlier in the game. I agree that we were held hostage by the Duke cronies and that sportsmanship is the underlying issue, but lets also look at this as a less than average year for us, in which we have struggled at almost every venue we have played at.

So if we were competing with FSU and Miami and had lost less

Apr 28, 2008, 12:22 PM

than 10 games - - and this event unfolded - it wouldn't matter ? ? ?

When is fair play and sportsmanship irrelevant / relevant in your eyes ?

For me, this is not about the game or even Duke. Duke

Apr 28, 2008, 9:57 AM [ in reply to Good lawd man..................................... ]

runs a bush league athletic department and everyone except #### Vitale knows that. My issue is with the ACC and their "institutional protocol," which was to call the Duke AD, and ask that he draft a press release for the ACC to release as their statement.

The bottom line is the ACC could care less if baseball...***

Apr 28, 2008, 9:25 AM

The bottom line is the ACC could care less if baseball...

Apr 28, 2008, 9:39 AM

... games get completed. Until baseball begins to generate enough revenue for the conference, the ACC office is not going to mandate or enforce ANY KIND of standard inclement weather protocol for all of its baseball teams. In fact I believe the ACC views baseball as so insignificant that they would not even intervene with any schools "protocol" (unless they actully have players running out on the field during lightning storms holding lightning rods)whatever it might be. Seriously, Clemson could state to the ACC that our protocol for inclement weather is to just send both teams home when a cloud becomes visible, and they would probably be satisfied. They simply could care less, and this will not change until the ACC changes leadership.

Ive said it once, and I'll say it again....

Apr 28, 2008, 4:01 PM

Get FSU and the SEC commish on the phone and lets get the hell out of this darn conference

Re: Ive said it once, and I'll say it again....

Apr 29, 2008, 11:47 PM

Agreed. I am a NC native, but this crap is getting ridiculous. We will never be able to compete for anything in this conference, especially in football, playing teams like UNC, NC State, Duke. They are horrible!! I lived one mile from the State stadium and I learned to HATE NC State fans, why because they are okay with mediocre. As a Clemson fan, I do not want us to become mediocre, but we are and we need a revival. We need Davis/Harper to put up some numbers to keep us from being mediocre. Leggett, well he has a task on his own. We need to support him, but not become mediocre by bitc*#ng about the Duke game.

Apr 30, 2008, 10:01 AM

Agree with you on most issues. Heck, I'm an ncstate student and i hate nc state fans.

Your statement "not become mediocre by bitc*#ng about the Duke game" is what I disagree with.

The issue here is not about one baseball game, it is about keeping the game pure and not corrupting the great american pasttime. If it happened anywhere else in the country, fans would be complaining about it too. The sad part of this story is that John Swofford has chosen to look the other way. That is what we are "bitc*#ng" about here, and we are not mediocre for wanting equal respect from every team in the conference.

Apr 30, 2008, 2:34 PM [ in reply to Ive said it once, and I'll say it again.... ]

Forget FSU. Swofford should just make a straight up trade.... Clemson for Vandy. Doesn't Vandy fit what the ACC has become better than us anyway?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 30, 2008, 3:14 PM

Same thing crossed my mind. The only problem with that is that Vandy is not in an atlantic coast state. Considering that names of conferences don't specifically dictate which and how many schools belong, i.e. the BigTen.

so yea, let's trade up. Clemson for Vandy. great idea.

***if we joined the SEC, it would mean a quick conference championship in bball.

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic