Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dear Dan: Time For More Reader Mail
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Jan 25, 2008, 7:33 PM

The state of the athletic department, and ACC officiating, are the subjects this time around. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't ever remember even a coot in tiger's clothes

Jan 25, 2008, 8:26 PM

say we should fire all the coaches. Why would anyone even suggest something so stupid......Why would anybody respond to something that has never been said by anyone with any credibility.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Exactly. The extreme minority, many I think are posers,

Jan 25, 2008, 8:32 PM

are the ones that are being given so much credit. Questioning a coach doesn't mean you want them fired or that you think you can do a better job. All in all, it was a very good article by Dan.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe we sould make it a rule that you cannot

Jan 25, 2008, 8:37 PM

question a coach unless you can do a better job. We'd have more sunshine pumped than FGF. Of course the only real problem with that is that none of us would be qualified to to comment on them for doing a good job either.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Maybe we sould make it a rule that you cannot

Jan 25, 2008, 8:39 PM

or why not realize that there's no good that can come of throwing coaches under the bus on public forums like this.... and there are a lot of people who credit players when we win and blame coaches when we lose...

as I have said, it is always a team effort each way.

Yep, and throwing coaches under the bus and

Jan 25, 2008, 8:42 PM

questioning them (which is what ALL fans do) are 2 seperate things.

Re: Yep, and throwing coaches under the bus and

Jan 25, 2008, 8:44 PM

there seems to be a lot of both on here, sad to say.

I don't have a problem questioning them as I do myself but I will never resort to the level of public bashing that I see alot on here. And sometimes it can be in the form of subtle little jokes like the "rob spence playcalling decider" nonsense recently..

It's a matter of perception, imo. I tend to see more

Jan 25, 2008, 8:51 PM

questioning that get's labeled as bashing than anything. I thought the playcalling when it was 1st and goal from the 2 vs BC stunk. I thought taking Merriweather out of the SC game 2 years ago stunk. But, that doesn't make me a basher. I also think TB and Spence have done an admirable job. However, that doesn't make me a leghumper either.

One thing is for certain...

Jan 26, 2008, 1:03 AM

Since Spence has become our OC we have lead the conference in most offensive statistics... There have been times when we have watched Spence call things that we get confused about or that we question, but when it comes down to it, we have had the most productive offense in the ACC the last 2 years. Sure, we question things when we don't score touchdowns when we're inside the 10 yard line but when we score a TD off of a pass inside the 10, all I can remember doing is cheering and passing around high 5's.. Is that why he's called the "Mad Scientist"?

Off topic, but I was very fortunate this past season, living in Nebraska and watching EVERY football game in person or on TV...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and even more that blame the players for not executing

Jan 25, 2008, 8:44 PM [ in reply to Re: Maybe we sould make it a rule that you cannot ]

a message board is not about doing good its about discussing Clemson athletics. We will fire many coaches in the future for not performing just like we have in the past. People will want to talk about it.

That's the part that I just can't understand.

Jan 25, 2008, 9:12 PM

According to many on here it is wrong to question a coach who is making over a million a year to coach a game, but the same posters will quickly criticize a player for poor execution.

Re: Dear Dan: Time For More Reader Mail

Jan 26, 2008, 7:20 AM

Dear Dan,

If anyone was wondering about where our football program is heading just look at the recruits we have been able to get with Tommy! C.J. and Davis are not recruits that, in the past, would have considerd Clemson. Now we are getting better recruting classes every year! As of this morning ESPN has us ranked as the 4th best class in the country! Thats without Jamie Harper! We have the number one player in the country coming in! I read the other day that we offered him before he every played a single down of high school ball (Bowers)! Lets not mention the our football team's GPA has broken records since Tommy has been there! Not many teams in the country can say that! Lets look at what Oliver has done! He has taken over a squad that has never been a basketball "Team" and turned us into a force to be reckoned with in the ACC! He has brought in and continues to bring in basketball players that can actually play the game! He has done an outstanding job! I myself didn't believe that anyone could do for our basketball program what he has been able to do! And there is Jack Legget! Are u kidding me we are and have been a national powerhouse in baseball forever! Look at how many players that go to the next level! Only if we could get over the "Omaha Curse"! Look at what coach Larry Penley has done!
Look at USC! You don't hear about our players stealing computers! Besides Ray Tanner none of them have been able to suceed their! Spurrier is just about ready to leave! Odom is out! Look at the bright side we could be in their shoes! In closing our coaching staff os some of the best in the country! There are not many schools that are as well rounded as we are! I hope they keep up the good work!

GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jim L.

Can, you forgot to say Ron Cherry!!

Jan 26, 2008, 2:08 PM

If the initial article was about "all coaches," then while you're listing terrible officials, you should cover all sports!!

9 yrs. No ACC title. But don't dare call for regime change?

Jan 29, 2008, 1:16 PM

I never heard anybody say fire ALL of the coaches in every sport. But I have heard many people call for the firing of one or more of our football coaches-- and with understandable reasons (though you may disagree with those reasons). I'm going to go out on a limb here, but I think it's OK for people to voice their opinions in an adult manner without name-calling.

I don't have to play guitar to tell the difference between a great guitarist and a mediocre guitarist. I don't have to coach I-A football to see the difference between a great coach and an upper-mediocre coach like Bowden or Texas A&M's Dennis Franchione.

For NINE YEARS, Bowden has led Clemson to the upper-middle of the pack in the ACC. Bowden has not improved Clemson's ACC record despite improved recruiting and despite (for example) ranking #7 in the nation for players drafted by the NFL last season. The results are in. One may like Bowden any number of reasons. But I think it's pretty easy to understand why many fans call for regime change based on the perennial upper-mediocre results in the ACC (and against non-cupcakes).

I'm a Clemson grad and a die-hard Clemson football fan. I can't just switch loyalties to another team (as some posters suggest). Conesequently, I want Clemson to have the best football coaches that Clemson can reasonably hire. Based on the results, I think it's pretty reasonable to say that Clemson does not have the best football coaches that Clemson could reasonably hire.

Jim Grobe led lowly little Wake Forest to an ACC title in 6 years, even though he had worse facilities, injured star-players, and a small fraction of the player talent of Clemson. Does anyone have good reason to think Clemson couldn't hire a better coach than Bowden?

Most Clemson fans voice dissatifaction with the coaches because we care about our team. I think that's quite common and quite reasonble.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic