Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson Notebook
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

Clemson Notebook

Jan 8, 2008, 7:56 PM

Clemson Notebook

Three football players coming back, three not?; Basketball team sets to face Charlotte. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's good to see Hamlin is returning....

Jan 8, 2008, 7:59 PM

But I would really like to hear about JD, and Merling. I am 99.99% sure Kelley will be back.I hope so at least...So good to have a little bit of football news..

Photobucket

Dear Aaron Kelley.....

Jan 8, 2008, 8:00 PM

Please do yourself a favor and pick up the phone. Dial Derrick Hamilton.

Thanks.

Golfer2988

LOL...where did D-Ham end up? Is he even playing ball?***

Jan 8, 2008, 8:13 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Texans

Jan 9, 2008, 7:17 AM

and I'm sure he's laughing pretty hard as we criticize him for pulling down that league minimum around 250K a year with annual season tickets to NFL games

HUGE mistake for this young man to go pro at this point***

Jan 9, 2008, 8:15 AM [ in reply to Dear Aaron Kelley..... ]

2005_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been wrong two times, but this isn't one of them.

golf2988, you really think Kelly cares wether he plays

Jan 9, 2008, 4:35 AM

or not in the NFL, not that he has time to read tigernet anyways. Take Davis and Merlin, they won't play in the NFL either. Its clearly about money. These guys grew up poor and now is their chance to make money. You think they will pass this up just to please a bunch of selfish fans. No way. No chance. All three of them are gone. They missed the team meeting for a reason. Oh well. Its not like spence could have done anything with them anyway. I wish the best for them. I hope they make tons of money and get to provide for their families. There are more important things than Clemson football.

agree

Jan 9, 2008, 7:18 AM

Although Gaines Adams is a good counter example, if someone had offered me anything close to half a million dollars to leave college after my junior year and join corporate America without a degree, I would have taken them up on that in a heartbeat.

But if you also had a good chance to...

Jan 9, 2008, 8:26 AM

Get that same 500k or MUCH more after your senior year and get your degree, I think I would stay. On the other hand there's a small chance you may get hurt, but you'll still have your degree and most likely a job.

If my choice was get the money now or you'll never have a chance again, it would be a different story, but that's not what's happening here.

Re: agree

Jan 9, 2008, 8:30 AM [ in reply to agree ]

In Corporate America as well as the NFL the offers very seldom go down or disappear with a degree and one more year of experience.

Everyone always uses the degree argument

Jan 9, 2008, 1:47 PM

If your NFL career is a flop, you are one year away from getting a degree. You can always go back later if it doesn't work out.

"Selfish fans"?

Jan 9, 2008, 9:15 AM [ in reply to golf2988, you really think Kelly cares wether he plays ]

Are you kidding me?

D-Ham showed how much money you can potentially lose by leaving early when your stock could raise.

Gaines Adams showed how much you could gain.

Anthony Waters wound up going right about where he would have before the injury.

Plenty of other young men who have left Clemson early (Donnell Washington comes to mind) may have cost themselves by not sticking it out one more year.

Think of it this way: if I offered you a job out of undergrad with a $50k starting salary, but told you that if you performed well in a one-year grad school program, I'd give you the same job with a $100k starting salary...and that even if you only did "OK," I'd still probably pay you the $50k based on future potential...well, I think most of us would go for the bigger payday.

How, again, does that make us selfish?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: "Selfish fans"?

Jan 9, 2008, 1:30 PM

He means we are selfish becuase we want them to stay. It is true that most of them would make more money if they come back and have a succesful season, but we want them to stay for the succesful season. Most fans don't really care how much money they make when they are gone.

Correction

Jan 9, 2008, 1:26 PM [ in reply to golf2988, you really think Kelly cares wether he plays ]

Hate to be nit-picky, but Kelly did not grow up "poor". He played at Walton High School in Marietta, which is one of the wealthiest schools in Georgia.

Big mistake by Aaron if this is to happen. Merling I think will play for a while, but Davis should stick around.

Re: golf2988, you really think Kelly cares wether he plays

Jan 9, 2008, 3:28 PM [ in reply to golf2988, you really think Kelly cares wether he plays ]

I heard on the radio today that James davis had left for the nfl draft, is it true? is that a good or bad thing for c.j. spiller? will c.j. get most of the carries next season?

Re: Clemson Notebook

Jan 9, 2008, 3:46 PM

As a fan I care very much how much these guys make and how well they do in the NFL. Have you not watched the halftime show and seen our former players giving $50k to the WEZ? I haven't seen Hamilton, Washington, or Gaddis out there. I have seen Whitehurst, and Adams though. The better these guys do, the better for Clemson. Also we need successful guys in the NFL to make us look better for recruiting. That's why kids go to Miami, they are seen as an NFL factory. It does the fans or the player no good to go early and then get drafted in the mid to late rounds and not amount to much in the NFL.

Re: Clemson Notebook

Jan 9, 2008, 3:58 PM

Good piece of advice. I doubt that J. Davis will be heard from again. He did not have a great year at CU. Of the three, only Merlin has a legitimate shot. If they want to go, LET THEM GO! I think true lovers of CU play as long as they can at Clemson.
RE: Tommy. I heard coach Grobe at Wake say about his team, "I love these guys." "I love this place," e.g. Wake Forest.
I have never heard TB say either of these. Clemson has to get in your blood, and those who want to leave early see only money. They will leave a lot of it on the table, but that is their right and decision!
Ocho

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic