Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Bowden Contract Extension Press Conference
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 46
| visibility 1

Dec 4, 2007, 4:04 PM

Tommy Bowden met with the media Tuesday after his flirtation with Arkansas ended with his contract extension at Clemson. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This is great news for our program!

Dec 4, 2007, 4:26 PM

I know a lot of people will pick at the fact he's keeping all his assistants, but changes right now won't build a program. We're on the cusp of greatness and need to hold this staff together. We're going to have an incredible group of players at Clemson. And this move just insured we'll get even more.

Way to go TDP and Clemson University!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

We have been "rebuilding" for 9 years I would like results!***

Dec 4, 2007, 4:36 PM

Top 20 recruiting classes say hi.

Dec 4, 2007, 4:40 PM

Gameday says hi. 9 win seasons say hi. 7-2 against USC says hi. Being in the top 25 says hello.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ACC Championship says where you been?***

Dec 4, 2007, 5:11 PM

That's one of the funniest retorts I've read. Good one!***

Dec 5, 2007, 12:44 AM

One game does not make a season is waving at you***

Dec 5, 2007, 1:57 AM [ in reply to ACC Championship says where you been?*** ]

So that would be BC waving right?***

Dec 5, 2007, 11:15 AM

We may have the best recruting class in the world but we

Dec 5, 2007, 4:51 PM

still haven't won the ACC in what 16 years.

ONE game? No, that's THREE conference losses laughing.***

Dec 6, 2007, 2:33 AM [ in reply to One game does not make a season is waving at you*** ]

9 wins and great coach stays-- no more whining***

Dec 4, 2007, 4:56 PM [ in reply to We have been "rebuilding" for 9 years I would like results!*** ]

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great coaches win championships.***

Dec 4, 2007, 5:55 PM

When you starting as coach?***

Dec 4, 2007, 8:24 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Ten points if I could***

Dec 4, 2007, 10:26 PM [ in reply to Great coaches win championships.*** ]

To CUTIGER89, that is.***

Dec 4, 2007, 10:27 PM

Clemson wants championship coaches at Wal-mart prices

Dec 5, 2007, 1:58 AM [ in reply to Great coaches win championships.*** ]

and that's just not possible.

He's paid in the top third of the ACC. Any other excuses?***

Dec 6, 2007, 2:16 AM

Was he unable to win an ACC title because of his low salary?***

Dec 6, 2007, 2:18 AM [ in reply to Clemson wants championship coaches at Wal-mart prices ]

Re: We have been "rebuilding" for 9 years I would like results!***

Dec 5, 2007, 7:32 AM [ in reply to We have been "rebuilding" for 9 years I would like results!*** ]

coot! 4 pts give me a break!

Re: We have been "rebuilding" for 9 years I would like results!***

Dec 5, 2007, 7:49 AM

I agree with you. How much time does it takie in "rebuilding?"

Re: This is great news for our program!

Dec 5, 2007, 12:26 PM [ in reply to This is great news for our program! ]

well my clemson friend i truely feel the same as you do,go Tigers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Bowden Contract Extension Press Conference

Dec 4, 2007, 4:32 PM

WHAT ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT? Do you ever want to have a more than mediocre team? I think winning the ACC once in a few years would be cool.

Gamecock???***

Dec 4, 2007, 4:57 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2007, 5:06 PM [ in reply to Re: Bowden Contract Extension Press Conference ]

Yes I want more (probably all do), but we are much better than mediocre. Hopefully, the salary package is heavily loaded with divisional and conference champ incentives. At least that way we aren't paying as much when we don't win it.

We are mediocre if there are 30 teams in Div. I football.

Dec 4, 2007, 8:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Bowden Contract Extension Press Conference ]

Oops! Guess we aren't mediocre.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Dec 4, 2007, 4:37 PM

just noticed that espn poll on whether tb should pick cu or ark went 57% for ark... havent been there since 1999 but their facilities were pitiful compared to ours, let alone no lake or mtns i could see... and we think sc is backward, at least most sc residents have teeth....

Oh, I'm quite sure the negative attitude of some of our

Dec 4, 2007, 5:09 PM

fans had a lot to do with that vote, though I'm not so sure Arkansas fans are really much different.

Dec 4, 2007, 5:35 PM

Congratulations Tommy! Now leave that smart aleck, sarcastic attitude behind you and become a Clemson Tiger instead of a "Bowden".

Dec 4, 2007, 5:57 PM

Keeping Tommy Bowden is good for Clemson . I live in Austin Texas and I don't like being around UT fans. They expect National Championships every year in all sports. Several of the Texas players also have to get bailed out of jail prior to the start of each season. Clemson does not have the name recognition of USC, Notre Dame,Oklahoma, or Texas. We are lucky to have a 9 win season and almost make it to a BCS bowl. The Texas and Texas A&M fans out this way are not happy campers this season. Clemson has made me proud this year with the 9-3 season and beating the gamecocks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 5, 2007, 12:44 PM

you have to understand that most and i do mean most CU fans likes TB.and the TB bashers are only releasing the anger from hurting after a loss.i bet i have fired TB 20 times just this year.but if im be honest to my self,i believe TB is a good fit for CU.(look at his record)and im very happy he is still at CU.and i will problely fire him a few times next year and years after each season.GO TB & CLEMSON TIGERS

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2007, 7:24 PM

Iwas a little worried this morning.OK we have MR.BOWDEN for 7 more years.How bout everybody stop bitching.Support the coaching staff and the atheletes thru the hard losses and the great wins!You can't win a National title every year look how long it takes some coaches to do it.We have taken a positive step towards believing in Tommy Bowden.Let the man Coach the team and quite talking about firing him every time they lose a game.Maybe if he doesnt have to woorry about getting fired he can concentrate on football and not worring about a job. SINCERELY A TRUE CLEMSON FAN TILL THE DAY I DIE!

WHAT?!?!?

Dec 4, 2007, 7:59 PM

You plan to stop being a Clemson fan when you die? Who are you? I plan on wearing orange overalls, a "beat the #####" sticker on my chest, a pencil eraser painted tiger paw on my cheek and a bumper sticker on my back that reads "Paul?s a Tiger Fan" when I get to heaven.

Dec 5, 2007, 7:34 AM [ in reply to Re: Bowden Contract Extension Press Conference ]

go away we don't need fans like you!

67 reviews, 8.9 average. Time for the VERY few, yet

Dec 4, 2007, 9:16 PM

obnoxiously vocal Bowden Bashers to STHU.

Re: 67 reviews, 8.9 average. Time for the VERY few, yet

Dec 4, 2007, 9:46 PM

AINT dat de truf.

People gave the reporting an 8.9, not the extension!***

Dec 5, 2007, 12:23 AM [ in reply to 67 reviews, 8.9 average. Time for the VERY few, yet ]

Dec 4, 2007, 9:44 PM

This is well deserved by TB and the rest of the staff. Read the complete body of works for this coach. No, they do not include an ACC Championship or National Championship YET. We do however have a program that 115 other division 1 fans, coaches and administrators would kill for.
We WILL get to the top and it will be the right way and very soon.

Re: Well... now that we've gotten this out of the way...

Dec 4, 2007, 11:29 PM

Can we move on to supporting this team, staff, and program?

GO TIGERS, BEAT AUBURN, and ACC in 2008!!!!!!!!

Bowden: "I was not offered the job at Arkansas." No doubt.

Dec 5, 2007, 12:41 AM

ESPN reported that Arkansas' board of directors were concerned that hiring Bowden would be a lateral move.

Apparently they want to win a conference title-- something they haven't done since 1989 when they won the Southwest Conference. It would be pretty hard to sell Bowden's resume to Razorback fans who are looking for a conference title when Tommy hasn't even been able to deliver one title after nine years in the ACC, let alone delivering one in the SEC.

Great negotiating bluff on TB's part getting his buddy at Arkansas to create a leverage point.

Great News for the program***

Dec 5, 2007, 9:18 AM

Really hard for me to get excited about this. Here's to at

Dec 5, 2007, 1:36 PM

least 7 more years of being "almost there"

Do you really think that????? The best returning class he...

Dec 5, 2007, 3:32 PM

has EVER had!!! Plus the fact that Tommy doesnt drop passes nor does he blow coverage and let WR's get wideopen for a fluky TD. Coaches Coach and Players either make plays or they dont and when we needed them to make plays this year ... THEY DIDNT! FACTS BUDDY ;)

Re: Do you really think that????? The best returning class he...

Dec 5, 2007, 6:26 PM

I will be the first to admit that I am not a TB fan, but I think that the best team we have had in a while will be the one that suits up next season.
I will wait to see what happens before making my decision on TB again.
Pray for no injuries and the ACC Championship. We definitely have a good shot at it talent wise.

CU ranked #7 NFL picks last year. Grobe had squat.

Dec 5, 2007, 9:27 PM

Every year for the last few years we've had enough player talent. And I've been hearing this excuse every year since Bowden was on board. "But wait until next year."

Last year Clemson ranked #7 for most NFL draft picks (and sent 11 player to the NFL overall) but Clemson ended up UNRANKED in college football. Do you think that we'll actually rank better than #7 in NFL draft picks next year? I doubt it.

On the other hand, Jim Grobe had terrible injuries (including his first string QB) and mediocre talent on his team, but he managed to win the ACC at a lowly, little basketball school called Wake Forest-- something Bowden hasn't done in NINE years.

It's probably just NINE years of bad luck. Maybe he broke a mirror or something. Next year will be different.

Great coaches win more. It's not luck, not dropped balls.

Dec 5, 2007, 9:57 PM [ in reply to Do you really think that????? The best returning class he... ]

It cracks me up that people say it's the players fault that Clemson hasn't won the ACC for the last NINE years. Like it has nothing to do with coaching and like no coaching staff in the country could do any better. As if the great coaches don't position-coach and drill their players better (to not make as many mistakes)... or like the great coaches don't do a better job of motivating their players... or like the great coaches don't do a better job of play-calling than our coaches... or like the great coaches don't notice and fix their special team problems BEFORE it costs them a game. Oh, yeah... Tommy Bowden's crew is as good as it gets. They just had NINE years of players not making the play, injuries, bad ball bounces, etc.

It was Aaron Kelly's fault that we lost to BC because he missed one difficult-to-catch over-the-shoulder long pass. It had nothing to do with Spence calling far more running plays than passing plays against BC's #104 ranked pass defense and #2 ranked run defense. It had nothing to do with Spence failing to comprehend that he was getting a mere 1.5 yards per carry, but 5.65 yards per pass attempt, while he continued to run the ball against the #2 run defense. Brilliant. Even the ESPN announcers were shocked at that. But that's Aaron Kelly's fault. And it's not the coach's fault that they didn't didn't call one of their two time outs with 11 seconds left so that they could take some time to think about one of the most important plays of the game in order to set up the game-tying field goal. That's uhhh... Cullen Harper's fault for taking a sack. And the conservative sit-on-the-small-lead play calling in 2006 didn't cost us the games against UMD and SoCar, and consequently cost us a shot at the ACC title.

Yeah... The coaches are top notch and the players just don't make plays, year after year after year for NINE years. That's it. It's so clear to me now. Thanks for the FACTS.

Last year the excuse was injuries (even though Jim Grobe won the ACC with worse injuries and less talent). This year the excuse is that the players just didn't make plays (even though GT had more dropped balls than we had in that game, and even though BC had a LOT of dropped balls too). Every year Bowden fans come up with a new excuse. I'm always impress by the creativity.

Dec 5, 2007, 2:39 PM

A quality coach and a quality football program. A good fit.

Dec 5, 2007, 8:11 PM

I think the Extension was a good move, especially considering the coaching moves going on currently, but really hope their are some specific goals to be met before paying him $2.2 million. On the 2008 team....we can have all the talent in the world, but without an Offensive line...doesn't do us a whole lot of good. Has no one stopped to realize that we lose 4/5 of or starters, and don't really have anyone replacing them...and have only recruited one OL this year? Really gotta question the job NOT Bowden has done so far, but Brad Scott. They better get a Championship OL here to go with the rest of the team.

Replies: 46
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic