Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson-USC Notebook
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 37
| visibility 1

Clemson-USC Notebook

Nov 24, 2007, 11:55 PM

Clemson-USC Notebook

A look inside Clemson's 23-21 win Saturday night in Columbia. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Clemson-USC Notebook

Nov 25, 2007, 2:44 AM

Well, I will give our "tigers" a hell yeah, but some things have to be fixed here- and it is not going to be fixed with the current staff. To many times over the last few years, it has been obvious that there is a problem with preperation, not just for this game, but for many of our games over the last few seasons.Again, congradulations to our 2007 Tigers for their winning season, and the state bragging rights after last nights win against the Gamecocks. Sorry to say, but most of us Clemson fans have noticed that the intensity has NOT been there in the big games, such as Virginia Tech, and Boston College. There are times when our Tigers have not had that 1981 Championship stature, walking the walk without having to talk the talk...when you are that good, nothing has to be said. Coach Bowden is a great coach, and I am not blaming him totally, but the play calling sucks, and the intensity sucks even worse, and the talent is too good to be wasted another year on "here we go again".

Nov 25, 2007, 6:27 AM

well maybe they should hire YOU as the coach since you know what you're talking about (not really). the game of football has changed since 1981 bud, if you have been paying attention to the top 25, this season almost EVERYBODY is losing. but i'm sire you'll be able to fix that once you become the head coach.

Nov 26, 2007, 9:37 AM

Okay, I agree with you. Maybe they should hire some of these know it alls to be the coach. Look at the records. Tommy Bowden's record against USC is better than Coach Ford, and Coach Bowden seems to be doing it legally. Get off the Danny Ford kick, and support the Tigers.

Nov 25, 2024, 6:10 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson-USC Notebook ]

you know what..play calling did suck from time to time last night but they still won the game. Get back that interception in the endzone and two missed field goals and we blow them out. The one area of concern is kicking. My hat goes off to MB for his performance this season, but Clemson needs to get out and recruit a kicker. We lost GT and BC because of missed FGs. Lets end this season on a high note at the bowl...convince Davis and Spiller to stay another year and get ready to have another great recruiting class including a great place kicker!!!!!!

Go Tigers in 08'

I'll agree with you on one point...

Nov 25, 2007, 8:19 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson-USC Notebook ]

Some play calling was weak. No way we should have 2nd/goal at the 2 and throw the ball. Our O-line doesn't blow anybody off the line of scrimmage. That's the major difference between us and Arkansas. I don't know if it's toughness, stance, or blocking scheme...but that's our biggest weakness.

BTW, did you notice the all-time records against USC...Tommy - 7/2, Danny - 7/3/1. WHAT? I thought Danny was God?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'll agree with you on one point...

Nov 25, 2007, 9:46 AM

No! Ford is not a god. He was a good, "aggressive" football coach. I've been a supporter of Tommy through-out his career at Clemson. However, this season has turned-out to be greater than I could have imagined,but
I can't help but feel that things could have been super if some coaching decisions could have been better.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'll agree with you on one point...

Nov 25, 2007, 12:44 PM [ in reply to I'll agree with you on one point... ]

Our OL is young and will only improve. I don't know about Arkansas' OL. I think that will be crucial next year as we need to RUN THE BALL because:

"*Clemson rushed for 214 yards this evening. The Tigers are now 32-1 under Tommy Bowden when they rush for 200 yards."

With Davis and Spiller (assuming JD comes back next season) and a more experienced OL, we should try to acheive this goal each game. It should be easier knowing we have a QB that can throw too.

OL - I think we graduate 4 starters this year. We will be

Nov 25, 2007, 7:05 PM

rebuilding there again.

Nov 25, 2007, 10:02 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson-USC Notebook ]

Not sure what games you were watching... The Tigers played with a lot of intensity this year, especially against BC, and even when we were kicked in the teeth by VT, our guys did not give up. They played their guts out trying to overcome the VT deficit.

You know, it is okay to enjoy a win.

best post in tread, sir....... point***

Nov 25, 2007, 8:49 PM

Photobucket

Celebrate the win!

Nov 25, 2007, 10:45 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson-USC Notebook ]

This just proves some people will never be happy.

Amen to that!!***

Nov 25, 2007, 1:09 PM

At least you are consistent with your two posts - one from

Nov 25, 2007, 3:53 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson-USC Notebook ]

2006 and now this gem.

SC's weak run-D played right into Spence's run-1st mentality

Nov 26, 2007, 12:49 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson-USC Notebook ]

Spence stinks, but SoCar's 104th ranked run-defense matched up perfectly with Spence's run-first-no-matter-what mindset. (Perfectly for us anyway.) I thought that the play calling was OK against SC. Bad clock management at the very end. Not sure why they didn't have Davis dive right on the second last play rather than having Harper slide right for a loss. Maybe they were worried about Davis losing the ball? That game shouldn't have been that close. We were a blocked-punt away from losing. Happy for the "W". Just peachy.

Nov 26, 2007, 1:20 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson-USC Notebook ]

No intensity in the BC game? I don't know what game you were watching.

Intensity?

Nov 25, 2007, 2:35 PM

How about Merling ripping that ball out? How about Faerber's (sp?) effort throughout? How about Aaron Kelly abusing that poor corner on the game-winning drive? How about James Davis's stiff-arm of that guy? He turned an okay run into a poster on my wall. What more do you want, some shenanigans like Mark Richt and the whole team dancing around in the end zone like they've never been there before? This team is plenty intense.

NOT A BAD CALL... BUT

Nov 25, 2007, 3:18 PM

The pass on 2nd and goal from the 2yd line had a guy open on the out-route. Not a bad call. Cullen just threw it right to the defensive guy. BUT!!! There were still many play calls in the second half that just sucked and wasted at least 2 offensive series for us. No I am not satisfied until we play like we can and dominate all inferior opponents and it shows up on the scoreboard. I just wish our Coaching staff would have the same attitude and stop being "pleased" all the time by the "effort"

who cares if you're "satisfied" or not...

Nov 25, 2007, 8:54 PM

It was a GOOD WIN. Get over it...you couldn't have called the plays any better. Just be happy that the coots will most likely be home for the holidays because of us ;)

Photobucket

Re: who cares if you're "satisfied" or not...

Nov 25, 2007, 10:02 PM

If you're satisfied with being a second tier ACC team, then go ahead and be happy with how this team has performed. Anyone that has played the game knows that you only settle for excellence. You strive to be the best. This team cannot seem to get over that hurdle. It shouldn't take 9 years to finish third in the ACC. We need to do better and the play calling has been terrible. This team is too talented to finish where they have the last few years. If you are happy with mediocrity then consider the play of this team a success. But if you're an athlete you should realize we can be so much better.

Play calling terrible?***

Nov 25, 2007, 11:10 PM

Re: NOT A BAD CALL... BUT

Nov 26, 2007, 9:43 AM [ in reply to NOT A BAD CALL... BUT ]

How many teams in this country do NOT have a couple of bad series? I know you guys may not like it, but you can't score on every drive unless you are Hawaii and play the 118th worst schedule in the country.

Nov 25, 2007, 4:22 PM

watching from Raleigh, I had to mute the television last night because the commentators (WHY?!? do they keep sticking Bob Davie on the Clemson games?!?) were absolutely miserable. They would not shut up about McKinley breaking Shannon Sharpe's single season reception record of 74 receptions, while AK80 broke Rod Gardner's reception record of 80... and in doing so, had a clutch reception on 4th and long (again, remember last week?) to keep the final drive alive.

Anytime Clemson did something good on the field, the commentators were moderately enthusiastic. Anytime something good happened for the gamecocks, they were shouting and jumping out of their seats. espn has done many things this year to make me question their prowlice over the sporting world, and this bias against Clemson is just miserable.

Dan, I enjoy listening to your radio broadcasts over the internet, but the delay (which is more than a minute) makes it hard to get into the games while watching on television.

ok, enough of that, I just wanted a chance to vent a little. Extremely happy with the victory last night.

eat a Peach

i had to do the same

Nov 25, 2007, 6:57 PM

bob davie was licking coot a$$ the whole game. it made me so mad, but luckily i have a dvr and i was able to pause the game to sync it with the radio.

great idea ;)

Nov 25, 2007, 9:06 PM

Maybe B Davie wants to impress the USC faithful so he will be a fan favorite when SOS bolts. What other "big name" options would they have? They'd have to get someone who's either been fired from a decent school or is currently coaching somewhere that's so low down, USC would actually be an upgrade.

Photobucket

I did not realize Kelly had broken the record until this

Nov 25, 2007, 7:07 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson-USC Notebook ]

morning.

Kelly was a total stud in that game. Yds after the catch...

Nov 26, 2007, 12:24 AM

Kelly made lots of great, clutch catches (like usual) but man, he was on a mission AFTER the catches. It took a lot of flocking ##### to bring him down. Grisham was also on a mission after the catch. I think those guys need to give Spiller some lessons about how to run north-south and fight for yards after the initial hit without dancing or running out of bounds.

Re: Kelly was a total stud in that game. Yds after the catch

Nov 26, 2007, 12:29 AM

Kelly played a great game except a few dropped passes but overall he played solid, but wow he had a wide open feild after his last catch and tried to take it to the outside rather than the hole up the middle, like i said great game but he could have ended it all by himself on the last catch

Easy to see that lane from where I sat with a beer in hand.

Nov 26, 2007, 12:58 AM

But maybe not so easy to see that lane a split-second after catching the ball at 20MPH under the lights with a couple of D-backs bearing down on you. :)

Nov 26, 2007, 9:44 AM [ in reply to Re: Clemson-USC Notebook ]

Good post. You know why all those commentators react that way? Two words. Steve and Spurrier.

Nov 26, 2007, 8:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Clemson-USC Notebook ]

I always listen to Will and Pete. I agree there definitely seems to be a bias against us. Also, the radio is about 3 seconds ahead of the TV. You hear the play then watch it.

Nov 26, 2007, 12:25 AM

All of you saying be happy we won and stop complaining about the bad parts are what brings this program down, real fans know we can be and should be better than 9-3. overall the players did a good job but the offensive play calling was crap and if you know anything about football you could tell. yes i am happy we pulled it out in the end but come on we had two punt blocks an int and a stripped ball and we had to kick a last second fg to barely win. and yes Harper had the guy wide open on the 2nd and goal from the 2 play, but why are we calling pass when we have Davis on the sideline over there begging for the ball. I went back and watched the game on tivo when i got home and they said Davis went to Spence this week and told him he wanted the ball more, i bet that was one of those times he would have loved to get the handoff

Yeah... just like the 1st-n-goal from the 2 against BC.

Nov 26, 2007, 1:03 AM

Spence got too fancy again from the 2 yard line. Give the ball to Davis a couple of times. He'll get 2 yards with almost no risk of a turnover.

Passing from the goaline

Nov 26, 2007, 9:17 AM

Notice how many touchdowns Harper has from inside the 5? Never heard anyone complain about calling pass when we complete it. How many of Peyton Manning's and Tom Brady's TD passes come from inside the 5? A fair number. It's a good play call as all of the linebackers are off balance trying to stop the run.

Against the lamecocks, the tight end fell down, and how can you say there is little chance of error with a Davis run? The BC play that you were referring to was a bad snap. The snap takes place before Davis gets the ball. I do realize it was a shotgun snap, but the point is the play was not executed, it had nothing to do with the play call.

Re: Passing from the goaline

Nov 26, 2007, 9:45 AM

Another good and accurate post. I don't join many of these message boards, but I am glad I joined this one.

Not completely opposed to passing from inside the 5 but...

Nov 26, 2007, 1:17 PM [ in reply to Passing from the goaline ]

When you're on the 2 with Davis in the backfield, I think it's a pretty darned safe bet that you're going to make 2 yards on 3-4 tries-- even if you tell the opponent where you're going. Skip the shotgun. Put the line in a three point stance.

Anybody who watches Clemson's game film knows that Spence always has Harper roll and throw RIGHT for pass plays near the goal line. I called it before the play. And I'm sure that SoCar's DC is a lot smarter than me.

Support

Nov 26, 2007, 9:53 AM

I realize that Tommy Bowden is not Danny Ford, but for Pete's sake, let it rest. If Danny Ford was so wonderful, why didn't he win a Title at Arkansas? We know that Danny did a good job and he is a pretty good guy, but from what I understand he wasn't the most honest guy in the world. At least Tommy is trying to do right and still win.

Nov 26, 2007, 7:25 PM

I LIKED THE GAME BECAUSE WE GAVE THE THUNDER CHICKENS HOPE THEN SNATCHED THE LIFE RIGHT OUT OF THEM. VERY PAINFUL. WITH US AT 16 IN THE BCS.....ITS NOT TOTALLY OUT THE WAY FOR US TO CREEP UP TO THE TOP 12 IF PEOPLE KEEP LOSING. 10-3 THIS YEAR WITH A TOP 10 - 12 FINISH....I AM HAPPY. THE PEOPLE WHO ARE THROWING A SHOE NEED TO LOOK AT A LOT OF THE TEAMS WHO HAVE MORE TALENT THAN US.....LSU, TX, USC, ECT....ALL HAVE 2 OR MORE LOSSES. GET USE TO A COUPLE OR MORE LOSSES A YEAR OR PULL FOR HAWAII. THE PEOPLE WHO BRING UP THE 80'S TEAMS......THEY WERE GREAT. THEY ARE NOT LIKE TODAYS TEAMS. IT WOULD BE LIKE SAYING BART STARR AND THE PACKERS COULD HANDLE THIS YEARS PATRIOTS WITH THEIR 220lb LINEMAN. DON'T LIVE IN THE PAST.

GO TIGERS......BRING ON THE BOWL!!!!!

PS - MISS. LOSES TO OKL. WV HAPPENED TO LOOSE (NOT POSSIBLE) A 2 LOSS TEAM WOULD PROBALLY HAVE TO PLAY FOR THE CHAMPIONSHIP. GA? OR MAYBE KANSAS (1 LOSS) DID NOT EVEN PLAY FOR THEIR CONFERENCE CHAMPIONSHIP. WOW!!!

Replies: 37
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic