Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tigers Hit Field For Off-Week Workouts
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Oct 9, 2007, 8:35 PM

Extra time to be spent on special teams over the next few days. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

exactly what i've been saying needs to be done

Oct 9, 2007, 8:38 PM

it's a personnel problem

Re: exactly what i've been saying needs to be done

Oct 9, 2007, 8:41 PM

And coaching, dont leave that out!

now that he's messing with JM...look for bad punts***

Oct 9, 2007, 9:32 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think any coach teaches players to miss tackles***

Oct 9, 2007, 10:11 PM [ in reply to Re: exactly what i've been saying needs to be done ]

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yet some coaches perennially succeed, while TB fails.******

Oct 10, 2007, 12:26 PM

Looks like the off-week is coming at the perfect time....

Oct 9, 2007, 8:53 PM

last year our schedule had the off-week very late (right before the scar game) and we had played 11 in a row.
This year it's right in the middle after 2 losses. Though it's bad from the perspective of the fan (longer to suffer between games), it's just what the doctor ordered for this team. And there's time to work on special teams.
New season starts on Oct. 20. Go Tigers!

new season starts today!!***

Oct 9, 2007, 8:59 PM

You really should avoid mind altering drugs!!!********

Oct 9, 2007, 11:17 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tigers Hit Field For Off-Week Workouts

Oct 9, 2007, 9:47 PM

I'm glad we have the extra time to work on special teams, but is Tommy really that clueless?

most teams just take for granted that you use starting or backup defensive players that are trained to hit on special teams. Gives them an opportunity to show they can make playes...

I understand we had our WRs out there?

come on Tommy, get a clue.

Name one WR on our punt team or kickoff coverage

Oct 9, 2007, 10:26 PM

with the exception of Jacoby playing safety on kickoff

***Crickets******

Oct 9, 2007, 10:29 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

exactly, b/c there aren't any***

Oct 9, 2007, 10:32 PM

maybe people should know their facts

Oct 9, 2007, 10:33 PM

before they go bashing...but I don't think some of these people care too much about that, they just want an excuse to bash...someone said that someone said that someone saw WRs on our kick coverage?? sounds good enough to me!

We have a starting WR on kickoff coverage,

Oct 9, 2007, 11:31 PM

but was he out there last saturday? i think he had already left the game due to injury.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tyler Grisham and Jacoby Ford

Oct 9, 2007, 11:54 PM [ in reply to Name one WR on our punt team or kickoff coverage ]

neither were on the field for the kickoff return TD.

It's a personnel problem alright... The COACHES!

Oct 10, 2007, 11:27 AM

VT and Clemson have comparable athletes. Why is VT perennially successful on special teams, and Clemson perennially weak? Coaching.

Re: It's a personnel problem alright... The COACHES!

Oct 10, 2007, 1:35 PM

I do not respond very often, but here goes.

I believe that too many people keep drooling over Frank Beamer and his famous Beamer Ball. I for one do not want Beamer Ball. I do want us to be sound on Special Teams, but spending too much time and effort on Special Teams being like Beamer Ball will cost you games also. Just ask Frank Beamer. For every game that he has won because of Special Teams (like Saturday), he has lost one because the Hokies spend so much time on Special Teams that they are anemic on Offense.

I mean really, how close is Frank Beamer to the National Title Hunt year in and year out. They are not. The lack of Offense kept them out of the ACCCG last year and it may very well do the same this year.

Don't get me wrong, his Defense is great. His Special Teams is great. But, his Offense is not a threat, because they are not balanced. Some people say that Defense (with Special Teams) wins titles, but if you do not have an Offense that won't fly. Just ask Frank Beamer, Alabama (Late 90's), The Chicago Bears, etc. There must be a balance.

So, do we need to be better on Special Teams? Absolutely! But I think if we were sound in this aspect of the game, we would be 6-0 right now. Does that mean we need to spend the whole practice everyday to get there? No, just be focused, stay with your assignment, and make tackles.

Sorry for the rambling.

I agree with you.....

Oct 10, 2007, 4:13 PM

and in fact, will add something else that completely mystifies me. First, as I've said before, I have no real football experience, and certainly no coaching experience, all I have is about 30 years (I'm 45 now) of watching a lot of football.

With that said, lets assume TB knows no more than me, or maybe even less than me about football (some will likely agree with that statement)....we apparently have some pretty good assistants as this past spring/summer we had many big schools chasing after them. I believe we only lost one, to Alabama, and they had to pay him an extra 80K to boot. My point, we have some good assistants around TB that have come from different programs. If there was some things that could be changed that were basic things, don't you think another coach would bring it up? I'm not making excuses for him, but I haven't heard anything specific that is going wrong other than some missed tackles. It just makes no sense that with the coaches surrounding him, we couldn't make this work. It's like a team that fumbles all the time. The coaches work on it and work on it, they bench the players fumbling and yet other players still fumble. I don't get it. Anyway...rambling now...it makes no sense.

GO TIGERS

Not just missed tackles vs. VT. Missed blocks. High snaps...

Oct 10, 2007, 4:58 PM

If it were just missed tackles against VT, and that were the exception, it would be one thing. But NCSU ran one back for a TD the week before. And we missed 4 field goals against GT. And GT blocked a punt that led to a TD against us. And in the FSU game, we had a punt snap go over Maners's head and cost us 2 points on a safety. (It cost us nine points if you consider that FSU returned the ensuing kickoff pretty well, and then punched in a touchdown.) And last year I remember several blocked FGs and PATs in the FSU game, where it got so bad, Bowden said at halftime that he refused to place kick the ball anymore. And that's just some of the stuff that I can name off the top of my head. Last year, our return coverage was one of the worst in I-A, if I remember correctly. Special teams play has been a constant problem under Bowden. Perhaps it's just my perception, but it just seems like it's been an embarrassing comedy of errors, year after year since he arrived. And although I don't have statistics to back this up, I'd say that our special teams performance is perennially below average-- and certainly well below the Top 25 caliber teams. Other than Gaines Adams returning a Wake Forest FG attempt last year, and Jacoby Ford running one back for a TD (against a cupcake I think), I can't recall Clemson's special teams doing anything special over the last two years. But I can recall lots of bad stuff.

I'm sorry, but if special teams (which is a big part of football) stinks perennially for NINE years, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it might have something to do with the coaching staff. And if the head coach can't personally solve the problem, or he can't bring in people who can solve the problem, then he's a poor head coach in my humble opinion. Why don't the other top tier schools have poor special teams year after year?

My suspicion is that Bowden doesn't have the attention to detail that some coaches have, and that he is just too nice to fire people. I can't remember him firing anyone.

To be fair, our punt unit did pin VT deep causing a safety.****

Oct 10, 2007, 5:31 PM

Actually, the ball bounced to pin VT deep and the stellar

Oct 10, 2007, 6:08 PM

play of our defense got the safety.

VT IS balanced. Good D. Good O. AND special teams.

Oct 10, 2007, 5:26 PM [ in reply to Re: It's a personnel problem alright... The COACHES! ]

This year, VT's offense scored 20 points against us, their defense scored 7, and their special teams scored 14. That's great balance!

Last year, VT's offense rammed the ball right down our throats for 21 points (including 200 rushing yards by Brandon Ore), while their defense smothered us and held us to 7 points. That's pretty darned great balance too! Obviously a LOT better than our balance!

You can decry VT's lack of balance, but Beamer won the Big East championship 3 times, he won the ACC once, and he's perennially in the hunt. I WISH we had those results. I'd shine Bowden's shoes every day.

I'd trade Beamer and his staff for Bowden and his staff in a second.

This year, VT's offense seems to be a bit weaker than normal. (That's why a couple games ago, Beamer switched from 15-game-veteran junior QB Sean Glennon to a dual-threat true freshman QB Tyrod Taylor-- something Bowden may want to consider.) But typically, VT has a solid offense. I recall VT's offense as being stellar when Michael Vick was QB.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic