Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Tommy Bowden Sunday Teleconference
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 49
| visibility 1

Oct 7, 2007, 3:24 PM

Quick Notes and Quotes from the coach's regular meeting with reporters Sunday afternoon. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd love to have one of Mack Brown's problems.

Oct 7, 2007, 3:26 PM

A National Championship.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'd love to have one of Mack Brown's problems.

Oct 7, 2007, 3:28 PM

LOL. Militant fan base.

Exactly^^^^ LMAO***

Oct 7, 2007, 3:32 PM [ in reply to I'd love to have one of Mack Brown's problems. ]

This has always been my complaint of Bowden...

Oct 7, 2007, 3:29 PM

even as a staunch supporter:

I've got the same problems after six games as Mack Brown, Mark Richt...We all have two losses. I have the same militant fan base here as they do there.

Makes sweet lemons of the situation and then basically insults his fans.

No Tommy, you have fans with high expectations. Is there a problem with that?

And please, we don't care about what Georgia and Texas is doing. Those that are constantly using other's short-comings to justify their own, will never overcome. Take responsibility. I'll respect you for it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Both teams have won BCS games since CTB's been here***

Oct 7, 2007, 3:31 PM

Most of you.

We all bring our own perspective....

Oct 7, 2007, 3:35 PM [ in reply to This has always been my complaint of Bowden... ]

to what we hear.
That being said I think the question is what did Tommy mean. Did he mean that everyone should be happy because Texas and Georgia also are 4-2? I doubt that, it would just make no sense... no coach is happy with 4-2 when 6-0 was possible.
However, if he's just trying to mitigate his players emotional response to the loss it makes a lot more sense. There are other teams that are 4-2, this isn't the end of the world, we've got to get things fixed, keep improving and keep chopping the wood.
Now perhaps he doesn't use those words, but just because he doesn't say things the way we like to hear them doesn't always make them wrong.

I understand that it's how Tommy view's things.

Oct 7, 2007, 3:43 PM

I think he tends to be a positive person and puts a positive spin on things. I understand that.

Some may disagree, but there are times as a leader, a coach, a player, a businessman, that you have to "man up" and call things the way they are. You have to call out yourself and the troops no matter how painful the truth may be.

If the players psyche is that fragile, then we have a real problem. The motivational spin the last 2 weeks has not worked. "Finish the Job" isn't working. The "Defining Moment" speech Saturday didn't work.

Sometimes followers want and need to hear the truth. What goos does it do to shout "the boat's not sinking!" as the Titanic dips beneath the surface?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Typical Tommy. I am suprised he did'nt mention facilities.*****

Oct 7, 2007, 3:35 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

militant fan base ?

Oct 7, 2007, 3:37 PM

You mean a fan base that wants to win and is tired of being embarrassed?

TB doesn't understand the difference in playing hard-nosed,

Oct 7, 2007, 3:51 PM

tough football and lose, or soft, multiple penalties, bad angles, no blocking, bad clock management, totally outclassed on OL, and getting your rear handed to you on your own field even though you were the favorite.
He is too much in the equilivency junk

He means a fan base that thinks it knows how to coach

Oct 7, 2007, 7:11 PM [ in reply to militant fan base ? ]

football because it (the fanbase) can win games NCAA football video games.

LOL.....excellent....great comment!***

Oct 7, 2007, 7:17 PM

Or a fan base that thinks it knows when a coach should go***

Oct 7, 2007, 8:01 PM [ in reply to He means a fan base that thinks it knows how to coach ]

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why won?t he take responsibility for special teams?

Oct 7, 2007, 3:40 PM

Will he blame the players when he gets fired?

Re: Why won?t he take responsibility for special teams?

Oct 7, 2007, 3:46 PM

Hell, he doesn't take ressponsibility for any problems, why would he take it for special teams. Bowden's arrogance is unacceptable as is his coaching!

Did Mark and Mack get out coached?

Oct 7, 2007, 3:40 PM

Sometimes I think CTB doesn't have a clue or is in way over his head. Militant fan base=way to win friends and influence people.

Message was edited by: Gmurra999®

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If the offense was one-dimensional in the 2nd half, how many

Oct 7, 2007, 3:44 PM

dimensions did it have in the first Tommy? What game were you watching when we did'nt have trouble pass protecting? The last 2 plays of the game, VT only rushed 3 and got hands on Harper both times. The O-Line has MAJOR ISSUES! By the way, win a Conference Championship(or even play for ONE) and I'll entertain the comparisions of Richt and Brown. Until then, you can compare yourself to Al Groh and Chuck Amato, cause thats YOUR level!

Re: If the offense was one-dimensional in the 2nd half, how many

Oct 7, 2007, 6:52 PM

Dead on, CM Shack!! Tommy has always taken liberties with the coaches he compares himself to. I get tired of listening to him talk about how "I did this" and "I did that. How about substituting the word "Clemson" in there for a couple of the "I's". The offensive line seems to be geared more toward trying to protect for the QB rather than open up holes for our backs. In their defense, 4 are 1st time starters and hopefully they will improve with playing time.

Re: If the offense was one-dimensional in the 2nd half, how many

Oct 7, 2007, 6:59 PM

Read the post "If you actually read..." Tommy really didn't compare himself. Dan is an idiot he apparently spun his comments into what he wanted us to believe. Although I'm not taking up for Tommy by any means, read the tigerIllustrated artical and you will see Tommy's real words. Don't listen to this idiot. I may not read his #### again.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Some pretty absurd comments from Tommy considering last

Oct 7, 2007, 3:47 PM

night's thrashing. " Not concerned so much with protecting the passer as I am getting the running game going." Tommy, you might actually want to be concerned with both. In order to be a good team you need to be able to run and throw the ball both. Remember last year, we were a great running team and couldn't throw. Now we can throw it decent but can't run it. Hint, try working on both of those things, not just one.

Secondly, "Special teams is something we do every single practice. I think it's now personnel. We can't really spend any more time on it." You can't spend any more time on something that you are horrible at??? How about spending more time on it, and actually getting it fixed.

Thirdly, "I've got the same problems after six games as Mack Brown, Mark Richt...We all have two losses. I have the same militant fan base here as they do there." Another slap in the face to our fans by Tommy and his cocky attitude. Keep losing and you'll be seeing this militant fan base from a chair beside your brother Terry.

TB be a man and say we have our own problems

Oct 7, 2007, 3:59 PM

saying little jimmy threw a rock too is just an excuse

time to man up or move out

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Right Tommy, we're only 12 short of a dozen, no worries at

Oct 7, 2007, 4:11 PM

all! I'm sure you will make the RIGHT ADJUSTMENTS!

Oh snap!

Oct 7, 2007, 4:33 PM

http://www.thetigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=4978204#4978204

you are so predictable..I'll take those conference championships mark richt has..you are officially a joke now.

Fans = Militant? Coach = IGNORANT!!!***

Oct 7, 2007, 4:48 PM

Good job on proving tommy right. Congratulations.***

Oct 7, 2007, 7:10 PM

fans comment sounds like coach that knows he's done***

Oct 7, 2007, 4:56 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Tommy Bowden Sunday Teleconference

Oct 7, 2007, 4:57 PM

I wonder if Mark and Mack will be looking at possibly losing five games this season. Another average season with a coach making over a million a year. Average results with great pay.... wish my boss would go for that!

If you actually read

Oct 7, 2007, 5:50 PM

the transcript of the teleconference (available on tigerillustrated, free I believe) you'll find that Bowden never, ever, no not once used the word "millitant" and moreover the entire quote about Brown and Richt is taken out of context. The paraphrasing by Dan is the problem here.

Re: If you actually read

Oct 7, 2007, 7:36 PM

WOW. Dan really screwed up this time! What happened to being an objective reporter.

If the word was left out, then the transcript is inaccurate***

Oct 7, 2007, 9:02 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here's what the transcript says

Oct 7, 2007, 11:30 PM

After being asked if he had felt any backlash from the fans

"I came home last night after 12, went to bed, went to church this morning, and I've been invovled with recruiting today. I don't get on the internet, obviously, and don't read the newspapers or listen to the radio, but being in the profession you're not naive. I've got the same problem Phillip Fulmer has right now, Mack Brown has, Mark Richt. We've got the same fan base as those guys, Michigan, Penn State, Texas; there's no difference in ours and those where Tommy Tuberville and Urban Meyer coach."

So I dont know if militant was left out or not. Maybe Dan misheard Michigan as militant? I don't know. Bowden also never said that the same problem was that they all have 2 losses, the problem he is talking about is pressure from the fans. He's not comparing himself to those coaches, he's comparing the fan bases.

Maybe militant was left out but I still think that the paraphrasing left some (probably biased readers) to misunderstand what Bowden was saying.

that's a free article btw

Oct 7, 2007, 11:31 PM

so i'm not violating any of TI's rules, and you can go check it out for yourself, maybe I was looking in the wrong spot.

There are no objective reporters***

Oct 8, 2007, 9:54 AM [ in reply to Re: If you actually read ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Those comments did not make pgt happy.***

Oct 7, 2007, 7:54 PM

Dan Scott-please explain why another recap of the interview

Oct 7, 2007, 8:08 PM

does not include the word "militant"?

Don't you suppose that IF that was the word used, it would be the FOCAL point of both recaps - that have quotation marks around them ?

You, sir, have some explaining to do, in my opinion.

I have the same militant fan base here as they do there.

Oct 7, 2007, 8:26 PM

Does this mean we're in the army now?? :)

Just be a man and take the blame

Oct 8, 2007, 12:56 AM

It is unreal that despite coaching errors over and over again, he continues to blame his players or point to other programs with the same amount of losses. Is there any time he has ever taken responsibility for a loss?? I mean it is dropped passes or players not executing or something with this guy.

Just step up and say I am sorry for the pathetic display on Saturday and we are going to bust our ##### to get it right the rest of the year and stick with us because we will turn it around.

Don't care if he admits blame. Results stink. Time to go.****

Oct 8, 2007, 3:08 AM

Who is going to be better? Franchione? Holtz? Torbush?...

Oct 8, 2007, 8:33 AM

We're better than we've been, but we're along way from perfect. Half the teams that play on Saturday are going to lose!

Re: Who is going to be better? Franchione? Holtz? Torbush?...

Oct 8, 2007, 9:28 AM

John Doe would be a refreshing change*********

Lists of head-coach candidates from Rivals & Sporting News..

Oct 8, 2007, 12:23 PM [ in reply to Who is going to be better? Franchione? Holtz? Torbush?... ]

Here's a list of head-coach candidates from Rivals.com.
http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?cid=705744

And here's a list from Sporting News.
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=277335

Bill Cowher would be an excellent choice as well.

Too bad our AD didn't beg Spurrier to replace Bowden. We would have won an ACC title last year and this year. Instead SC will beat a middle-of-the-pack Clemson team again this year.

If, for example, Alabama can hire Nick Saban, UNC can hire Butch Davis, SoCar can hire Steve Spurrier, and NCSU can steal O'Brien from BC, are you saying that we can't find a better coach than Tommy Bowden, who has led Clemson to the middle of the pack in the ACC for EIGHT (probably NINE) years?

If you're OK with getting beat half the time, keep Bowden. He basically loses half of his games against the non-cupcakes. I want a coach who can win championships.

he doesnt know the difference between militant & passionate.

Oct 8, 2007, 12:00 PM

he should have these problems corrected by 2012.

Tommy Bowden Sunday Teleconference - rebuttle

Oct 8, 2007, 3:29 PM

"I feel like we can get things corrected"

nothing get's done well when you work off of 'feelings'!! Time to use LOGIC

"But we still got a lot of yards."

Coot logic

"Haven't had a chance to look at film yet on kick return problems. [] Will do that this afternoon."

It's not a big priority, just cost us big in the game!

"A lot of our younger players are our most athletic players, and that's what special teams are"

and your telling us this because.....

"Special teams is something we do every single practice. I think it's now personnel. We can't really spend any more time on it. We spend roughly 20-25 minutes of every practice on it. We cover everything on Monday. Everything on Thursday. Rotate through the phases of special teams the other two practices"

if it ain't broke...oh, it is broke.

"Ford has a bruised sternum. Status will be evaluated as the week goes on, but he has not been ruled out for the next game."

get well soon

"Responding to a question from a reporter concerning the (in the reporter's words) "response of the more militant of Clemson's fan base": I've got the same problems after six games as Mack Brown, Mark Richt...We all have two losses. I have the same militant fan base here as they do there"

Yea, but not the same record to stand on, sucks to be you

"We have bounced back from adversity before"

time to get the flubber out cause we gots to do some big a$$ bouncing now!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

We became one dimensional in the second half?

Oct 8, 2007, 4:20 PM

Well it sure beats NO-dimensional, which is what we were in the first half!

Oct 8, 2007, 5:06 PM

If it was a mistake as the AD dept. claims tammy will find away to spin it.

Oct 8, 2007, 8:21 PM

this is ridiculus. Clemsons special teams have been a problem forever now and Bowden says he cant spend much more time on it. 15-20 minutes needs to be 30-45 minutes the way they sucked.

TB said, "I think it's now personnel." I agree. The coach!

Oct 8, 2007, 9:19 PM

VT & Clemson have comparable athletes. Beamer works on special teams and has perennial success. Bowden works on special teams and has perennial failures. What could the difference be? Hmmmm... Let me think...

Oct 9, 2007, 7:08 PM

I am afraid that Tommy misses a couple of things... they have not been embassassed and mocked ( Bubble Screen U) by ESPN and the football nation.

I have always been a Tommy Bowden supporter but I think he just a really nice guy who can get the talent but can't fire assistant's when they hurt him and I am wonering if he just can't coach at the high level that Clemson fans require.

It has been 15 years since an ACC championship and Tommy has had 9 years. Sorry Tommy.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 11, 2007, 3:03 AM

to simply put....tommy bowden needs to be fired! Since i was a young boy i looked up to the prestige of the CU football program and all it had to offer. For almost a decade now we have let tommy bowden take over our team and his performance is sub par. He has scheduled teams to play clemson that are supposed to be sub par but end up beating us and embarassing our players and fans. This has got to stop. We gave him a chance and he has done many wonderful things for the program but his era in CU football history needs to be ended. coach bowden is an excelent recruiter but not a head coach. i admire his strength in faith, but that is just simply not gonna get us into a top 10 finsih and get us back to the 80's in which we were a national championship contender. currently according to rivals.com clemson is 15 on national recruitment list. how long can this last, with a team who is constantly failing. Would you want to sign with a team that you knew that at the best situation you might when half your games? i know i wouldn't. its time to stand up to coach bowden no matter what the turn out of the rest of the season. i constantly hear that we couldn't hire a coach that would mach his caliber! all i have to say is that if USC can pull Spurrier, UNC can pull Davis, Alabama pull Saban, and BC being robbed by NC STATE, surely to god with as much money and fan base we can find a coach.

Replies: 49
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic