Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Special Teams Cost Tigers Again
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Oct 6, 2007, 10:42 PM

Pair of returns in the kicking game get Virginia Tech off and running to a 41-23 win at Death Valley. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks Tommy for that

Oct 6, 2007, 10:45 PM

Hold on every one. We just have to wait for next week for the problems to be fixed. He spent all week trying to solve VT high powered offense.

But he is a good christain...so leave him alone!***

Oct 6, 2007, 10:51 PM

Your name, PotatoHead, goes with your comment.***

Oct 6, 2007, 11:41 PM

I think even CHRISTIAN Tiger fans are sick of hearing what a

Oct 7, 2007, 1:12 AM

'great' person he is

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What does TB's religious affiliation have to do with....

Oct 7, 2007, 10:11 AM [ in reply to But he is a good christain...so leave him alone!*** ]

anything??? I could strangle him too right now but your sarcastic post simply displays your ignorance. Amongst all the religions in the world there are those followers who can't coach football. Grow up junior!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's saying TB gets a pass b/c he's an outspoken Christian.

Oct 7, 2007, 12:33 PM

TB has led Clemson to the middle of the pack in the ACC for the last EIGHT (soon to be NINE) years. Why haven't they fired him yet? The prevailing wisdom is that TB gets a free pass from the Christian boosters and administrators because TB is an outspoken Christian. The frustrated fans are not saying that there's anything wrong with being a Christian. (On the contrary, most of us are Christians who greatly respect TB's open Christianity.) They're saying that the administration is practicing discrimination by NOT firing him, and that if he weren't an outspoken Christian, he'd have been canned earlier.

Right now, most of the top head-coach candidates out there are not southern Protestants. But I'll bet our next coach is ANOTHER southern Protestant. It's just hard to imagine the administration hiring the best possible candidate if the candidate is a Yankee, a Jew, or a Muslim. Maybe I'm wrong. Hopefully we'll see.

This is laughable about everyone has problems with

Oct 6, 2007, 10:54 PM

special teams.......not this many Tommy....this is getting plain ridiculous

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

haha. even the reporting on special teams sucks.

Oct 6, 2007, 11:43 PM

'The Tigers' beleaguered special teams gave up an 81-yard punt return for one score and a 100-yard punt return for another in falling way behind early.'

this was a kickoff. and to add insult to injury on this, clemson burned a timeout before this kick off because they had 12 people on the field even though they had just sat through a five minute tv timeout.

Down 17+ pts in Q1 with no sense of urgency on O until Q3.

Oct 7, 2007, 2:04 AM

Aside from the poor special teams performance AGAIN, I was just stunned by the lack of urgency that Spence & Bowden showed in play calling and hustling the offense. We were down 17+ points since Q1, but the play calling and tempo on offense for the first 2+ quarters looked more like we were up by 21.

Remember how the offense finally picked up the pace and started throwing the intermediate & long balls in the 3rd quarter, and moving the ball, and outscoring VT? Spence should have been doing that since the FIRST quarter when we were down 17+ points!

Can you imagine Spurrier or Meyer or some top tier coach running the offense that way? Wow! I'm just stunned.

Oh, TDP, won't you please, please hire a top tier coach? Please? I'll chip in. Don't feel bad that nobody else will hire Tommy after you let him go. Clemson has paid him millions of dollars. He never has to work again. He'll be fine.

Re: Special Teams Cost Tigers Again

Oct 7, 2007, 6:21 AM

There is no excuse for what has happened the past two weekends with Special Teams;no more talk about working longer,or harder,or finding the right personnel.It's nothing but empty rhetoric.The talk should be focused on the BIGGER picture;finding a new head coch.Enough is enough.It's time for Bowden to go.

Oct 7, 2007, 2:00 PM

Hire Pete Carroll!!!

Oct 7, 2007, 8:14 AM

If anyone thinks Harper had a good game, they don't know football. He hung Jacoby Ford out to dry & got him hurt early. The offense goes 8 quarters without a touchdown. Remember what LSU did to these guys? We are so far behind the top teams in the country that it's not even funny. Tommy is a good guy who runs a clean program that is moderately successful, but the best we can hope for from his teams it 8 wins, 9 in a really good year. this team is headed for 5 losses at least.

Oct 7, 2007, 9:00 AM

I have to agree that 5 losses is very possible;with a road game at Maryland {they did beat Rutgers and hung a loss on us at home in'06},home against a Wake team which gives us problems, and a B.C. team that looks unbeatable, there looms the potential for at least 3 losses.And you know "The #####" are stomping at the bits at the prospect of getting us at their place.Oh,did I not mention Duke.I stand by my last comment.It's time for a new head coach.

You're right. Harper was off target & he hurt Ford.

Oct 7, 2007, 11:24 AM [ in reply to Re: Special Teams Cost Tigers Again ]

For the last two games Harper has been passing poorly. He's thrown too many balls that were arguably catchable, but really just out of reach on the fingertips of an outstretched receiver (or behind the receiver). And he's been hanging the receivers out to dry; putting them in situations where they're obviously going to take a big hit and get hurt or fumble.

Bowden complained that there were 9 "dropped" passes in the GT game, but I went back and re-watched that game (on Tivo) carefully watching each "drop". There were TWO drops that the receiver should have definitely caught. The other eight were off the receivers' outstretched fingertips, or were the result of solid pass defense. And guess what? GT had THREE EASY drops-- which is more than we had. But they won.

And there were several times in the last two games where a more alert, scrambling QB would have avoided the sack, and would have made bigger gains. I have not been a proponent of putting Korn in. But I would have put Korn in by the second quarter of the VT game. And now, with the season lost, and at least two more losses looming (BC, SC, and maybe MD or WF), I'd put Korn in to get him experience for the next 3 years. He can warm up on Central Michigan before we get tot he big boys. Of course that's what a coach might do if he thought he'd be around next year. Hopefully Bowden won't.

And why did Harper slide to the ground rather than trying to make the first down marker? Wow!

Re: You're right. Harper was off target & he hurt Ford.

Oct 7, 2007, 2:33 PM

66-38-2 372 Yards 2 TD
Absolutely terrible QB play.? Blame play calling, blame lack of ability to adjust play calling, blame the young O-line. But I do not think you can blame CH. He has done everything you can ask except block, kick, punt, and tacle during kicks. I am excited about Korn, but Harper is just fine.

Not "terrible" QB play. But not good. Re-watch the VT & GT.

Oct 7, 2007, 4:05 PM

Please don't put words in my mouth. I didn't say the QB play was "absolutely terrible". It wasn't. But it wasn't good. Re-watch the QB play in the GT & VT games and you'll see:
1) Many inaccurate passes-- especially, high fingertip passes.
2) Many passes in the flats that either shouldn't have been thrown or should have been thrown quicker to prevent the receiver from getting creamed.
3) A lack of mobility to avoid the sack.
4) A lack of ability to throw on the run.
5) Telegraphing to the secondary with his eyes.
6) Hesitation when it's time to tuck and run, or more importantly, tentativeness after deciding to tuck and run.
7) A safe slide short of the first down marker when his team needed a first down (which he could have gotten by staying on his feet).
8) Checking down to receivers who were far short of the first down marker and thereby burning the clock.

Harper is not bad-- especially when there's no pressure. He's much better than Proctor and half the QBs in I-A. But he's not a great passer and he's not much of a scrambler or runner. The defense doesn't have to worry about him getting away and hurting them with his feet like Tyrod Taylor did to Clemson.

I'm not sure Korn would pass better. (I don't think he would pass worse.) But I'm pretty sure Korn would be better on his feet-- which might help make up for the offensive line play.

One experiment is worth a thousand expert opinions. We might as well see what a Korn-fed offense looks like starting with Central Michigan. If Korn isn't better, put Harper back in. They're big boys. They can handle it. It's not personal. It's just doing what's best for the team.

What would a championship coach like Spurrier do?

Beamer switched to true frosh QB Taylor over jr. vet Glennon

Oct 7, 2007, 5:58 PM [ in reply to Re: You're right. Harper was off target & he hurt Ford. ]

I forgot... Earlier this season, Beamer switched from 15-game-starting-veteran junior QB Sean Glennon to true freshman QB Tyrod Taylor. Good for them. Bad for us.

At the time, Beamer said, "This is not a reflection on Sean [Glennon]... We just feel like with this football team and our offense, Tyrod fits our personnel better right now. This is not easy for us because Sean has put a lot in the program."

Exactly. I'm sure it was hard for Beamer to bench Glennon. Was Taylor suddenly better than Glennon one week in practice? No. Was Beamer sure that Taylor would do better? No. But Beamer had to try something new for the good of the team. So he switched QBs before a non-conference cupcake. And he liked what he saw, so he kept starting Taylor (unfortunately for us).

If Bowden were coaching VT and Beamer were coaching Clemson, I can only guess who the starting QBs would be on both sides.

Dan Scott--you should be ashamed of your headline!!!

Oct 7, 2007, 10:55 AM

The non-existant special teams coach led them down the dead in alley so aptly displayed example of the marching band in Animal House!!!!

Re: Special Teams, yes, but what about motivation?

Oct 8, 2007, 8:32 AM

While the mistakes on special teams the last couple weeks are bad (and all too familiar), I was particularly distressed at the lack of focus, emotion, whatever you want to call it, especially in the first half. Must win game, national TV, at home under the lights, ugly purple suits, if you can't get jazzed in that situation, when can you?

Love this quote from the Greenville News...

Oct 8, 2007, 2:53 PM

http://greenvilleonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071008/COLUMNISTS05/71008003/1025/SPORTS0101

"When asked about that last week at his regular Tuesday news conference, Bowden mistakenly said his teams didn?t have a punt blocked in the first seven years he was at the school.

Actually, there were 12 in the first seven years, and more since. It might have been a small incident, but Bowden seemed genuinely surprised when told the facts, and that causes one to wonder how much clear-eyed attention has been afforded special teams."

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic