Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ULM vs Clemson Postgame Analysis
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 56
| visibility 1

Sep 11, 2007, 10:37 AM

Roy Martin takes a clsoe look at Clemson?s quarterback situation after the ULM game. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ULM vs Clemson Postgame Analysis

Sep 11, 2007, 10:40 AM

"Willy Korn can sling it like Dan Marino, runs like a cheetah, and he could part the waters of Lake Hartwell with a simple touch of his finger. His sweat cures cancer and a portion of the ozone layer is restored every time he passes gas. "

Chuck Norris says hey!

Beat me!***

Sep 11, 2007, 10:55 AM

badge-ringofhonor-clemsonsteve02.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Right on Roy!! Plenty of ignorance to go around in the

Sep 11, 2007, 10:53 AM

Clemson Nation and just about every other school too.

Fans should just give it a rest, we have a starter and its Cullen Harper!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think Roy was confusing Korn w/ Chuck Norris. :)***

Sep 11, 2007, 10:54 AM

You stole my thought!!***

Sep 11, 2007, 10:57 AM

Sep 11, 2007, 10:57 AM

roy, I agree with most everything you say with the exception of....Korn DOES NOT pass gas

If he does, it probably smells like fresh baked apple pie.***

Sep 11, 2007, 10:59 AM

I think we should give Tribble Reese a shot. ;)***

Sep 11, 2007, 11:08 AM

Are you qualified to dispense medical advice??

Sep 11, 2007, 11:18 AM

Or are you a bartender? LOL

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can't disgree with anything you've said

Sep 11, 2007, 11:09 AM

I just hope this staff gives Korn some pt and opportunities to develop with some game expereince this year. They've been prone in the past to leave the starter in regardless of score in many cases. I think that was what bothered me most last year. Knowing Harper was going to most likely be the qb I'd like to have seen him get some more pt last year. VT game comes to mind as an example.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Huh. Sorry...I think this article is off...

Sep 11, 2007, 11:21 AM

Since Korn signed with Clemson, yes, there has been overwhelming enthusiasm for a top national QB coming into Clemson, especially considering the issues we had last year in that key position. Because of those problems, the fact that Bowden NEVER went to the back-up QB led many fans to assume that the back-up to Proctor was not a big-time option. I do not think this is a bad assumption.

"Because the level of ignorance seems to be growing and growing like a tumor. At first it was a just a spot worth getting checked out at some point, but now it has become a reason to worry."

I think this is completely inaccurate. If anything, the fans after two games have almost entirely turned to "Wow...Harper IS the man."

"There is no denying Korn was a great talent in high school. He may well be the best high school quarterback to ever hail from the state of South Carolina, but that alone does not make him the best candidate for the job."

I don't think you're educating many Clemson fans with this statement.

"A perfect example is the gentleman sitting near me for the Florida State game. After the third play he stated that Korn should be in there because he?s the 'best quarterback in the conference.' When asked why by another fan he responded, 'Because he grew up near me.'"

First off...yet again a sports "reporter" takes one off-hand conversation with a fan and broadly applies it to all fans. Secondly, if the guy's response was "because he grew up near me", he obviously is either joking, has priorities different than "winning", or is not to be taken seriously.

"I realize that people like him are a minority, but it is a growing minority. And because of the outspokenness of this minority, it is as if they have become the vocal majority."

I can't see this. I'd love to be able to see this board from the day of Korn's signing to today. I'll bet you'd see a massive transition to supporting Harper.

I completely support Harper. I'm very happy for him that he has taken the starting position because of his talent and not just his seniority. I have said on this board before that I am proud of the coaches for starting the right person to give us the chance to win NOW. But I refuse to be chastised for getting excited about an incredibly talented freshman QB coming into this program. I refuse to be shamed for being excited to see him finally get some snaps in a real game in a Clemson uniform, a dream of his apparently for many years. I refuse to feel bad about being hopeful for the future of our program with a QB who is an obvious leader, with a great arm, strong scrambling skills and who has ALREADY helped us with recruiting and ALREADY started representing us well to the media.

null

This article is crap. Everyone loves Korn, but no sensible

Sep 11, 2007, 11:31 AM

fan wants him to start right now.

Unfortunately, right now, we have a lot of fans

Sep 11, 2007, 11:33 AM

Who aren't very sensible.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Re: This article is crap. Everyone loves Korn, but no sensible

Sep 11, 2007, 11:38 AM [ in reply to This article is crap. Everyone loves Korn, but no sensible ]

Did you hear the near-standing-ovation Korn got? How would that make you feel if you were Harper, having just set a school record for # of TD passes in a game? I think Roy hit the nail on the head.

Re: This article is crap. Everyone loves Korn, but no sensi

Sep 11, 2007, 1:53 PM

The fans, including myself, were welcoming Korn to Clemson. Simple as that. It was simply a climax after 2.5 years of hype that the boy finally gets into a game, which probably was a dream come true for him. If Harper doesn't do his job Korn doesn't play last week. Harper is the man for job right now.

Re: This article is crap. Everyone loves Korn, but no sensi

Sep 11, 2007, 3:30 PM

I'm sorry...have we started giving every new playing a standing ovation when they come in? Did I miss a memo?

Did you hear the applause Cullen Harper got...

Sep 13, 2007, 6:34 AM [ in reply to Re: This article is crap. Everyone loves Korn, but no sensible ]

during pre game intro's on Pawvision, it was a large amount?? James Davis and CJ SPiller got large ovations so I suppose that made their OL feel bad! Guess Roy had to write something this time!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think you're picking nits.

Sep 11, 2007, 11:40 AM [ in reply to Huh. Sorry...I think this article is off... ]

I don't think it was the author's intention to say that Korn is unqualified, or that you should be ashamed of yourself for supporting Korn. He's merely stating that criticizing the coaches and Harper by demanding Korn be played is both ignorant and hurts the team and the fan base.

Alright, how's this for not nit-picking?

Sep 11, 2007, 12:55 PM

He thinks there is a growing minority who think Korn should start over Harper. I think that statement is approximately 100% incorrect, and that in fact the number of people comfortable with Harper starting has been pretty high and has grown by leaps and bounds after two strong games. Put a poll on Tigernet and see...maybe I'm wrong and a lot of people still think Korn should start.

There. That's a basic overall theme of the article, and I think he's flat wrong. Is that better?

I really don't see how you read that article and don't see a writer getting on his high-horse about a non-issue. Either he's claiming that the number of people who want Korn to start is getting very large or he is creating an issue out of nothing. If you could poll every fan who applauded when Korn came into the game and asked them if he should be the starter, I would guess 10% MIGHT say yes.

null

Re: nit-picking?

Sep 11, 2007, 4:11 PM

Right now the "Start Willy" faction is relatively quiet.

Its hard for them to be too vocal when Harper is 2-0 and just set a couple of all-time CU records.

Even people who believe Korn should start are hesitant to say it too loudly with Harper playing well.

But, just wait until Harper struggles a little. THEN you'll see them come out of the woodwork both on the net and at the games.

For every nucklehead who yells "START KORN" when Harper is throwing 5 TD passes ... there are at least 10 waiting until Cullen throws his first interception.

Harper will be on the "hot seat" with a large proportion of the fans the moment he struggles ... count on it.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think you are off

Sep 11, 2007, 12:01 PM [ in reply to Huh. Sorry...I think this article is off... ]

"But I refuse to be chastised for getting excited about an incredibly talented freshman QB coming into this program. I refuse to be shamed for being excited to see him finally get some snaps in a real game in a Clemson uniform, a dream of his apparently for many years. I refuse to feel bad about being hopeful for the future of our program with a QB who is an obvious leader, with a great arm, strong scrambling skills and who has ALREADY helped us with recruiting and ALREADY started representing us well to the media. "

Who is chasting you? All that is being said is that there is a MINORITY (which if you can't agree with then you are not looking very closely) that is piping up Korn enough that it is rising to the level of throwing Harper under the bus. I am pretty sure no one is saying that you are in that minority, or that you shouldn't be excited or hopeful about the future of Clemson football under Korn.

I have about 2 out of 12 friends I tailgate with that fall into that minority, and want to see Korn play now. And they still support, they just believe that Korn is the best answer right now. The rest of them know Harper is the better answer at QB right now. No one is faulting those 2 for thinking that Korn should be better-everyone is entitled to their opinion- we just disagree and tell them they should be supporting Harper, a first year starter with enough pressure on him already. And for the record, all of my friends stood up and cheered for Korn when he finally got a couple of snaps against Monroe. There is nothing wrong about cheering on a great young prospect finally getting some playing time.

This article was written to say: 1) Be excited about Korn, but remember our coaching staff knows who gives us the best answer to win games and 2) the minority that wants Korn to be the starter is a fact of life in college football that the 2nd stringer will always be the more popular player on campus, regardless of things like rationale, facts, or performance.

I really have to disagree...

Sep 11, 2007, 12:59 PM

"This article was written to say: 1) Be excited about Korn, but remember our coaching staff knows who gives us the best answer to win games and 2) the minority that wants Korn to be the starter is a fact of life in college football that the 2nd stringer will always be the more popular player on campus, regardless of things like rationale, facts, or performance."

The writer is obviously not comfortable with your point 2 (although I'd say you are probably right), as his entire article was complaining about it. As for (1), there are literally dozens of things Coach Bowden does every game, and hundreds in a season that are put through the fanbase grinder for discussion. Why is "starting QB" any different? Even Bowden would say that he's mistakes here or there.

Anyway, again, it's not that I don't agree with the call. Harper should without a doubt be a starter, in my opinion. I just thought the article was silly and, well, wrong.

null

I see where you are coming from...

Sep 11, 2007, 1:33 PM

The tone of this article seems to imply the situation is a lot worse than it is. I do agree with Roy that some people need to be put in check on just how great Korn is. If you sit in a Clemson game on any given Saturday for the rest of the year, you will see people rolling their eyes and throwing up their hands when a 3rd down pass by Harper falls incomplete and those fans will be calling for Willy. Roy seems to think that is horrible and irresponsible, and it may well be, but it is a small minority and it's college football- that's just the nature of the beast.

However, those same people who are b*tching in the stands after a 3 and out- if you asked them after the game (when Harper throws for 240 and several touchdowns)- they would tell you that they support Harper and he is the man for the job. That is just how fickle fans are. That would be the only complaint I have with the article- the vocal minority, in my opinion, is not growing like a tumor. I do not, however, have a problem calling some fans out that are already wanting to throw Harper under the bus after starting 2-0 just because Korn looked good on a couple of series.

Re: Huh. Sorry...I think this article is off...

Sep 11, 2007, 12:16 PM [ in reply to Huh. Sorry...I think this article is off... ]

The applause for Korn wouldn't have seemed so bad except for the absence of highly vocal or visible support for Harper, who had just thrown 5 TD passes and set a school record.

Sep 11, 2007, 11:02 PM [ in reply to Huh. Sorry...I think this article is off... ]

Well said Wookie. I have always liked Roy, I think he is trying to send a message to the few ignorant fans that may seem to him are growing, but he went over board a little. I do not feel ashamed one bit for wanting to see a fine representative of the state of South Carolina and to Clemson football getting snaps. He is a fan favorite. Get over it.

Sep 13, 2007, 10:19 AM [ in reply to Huh. Sorry...I think this article is off... ]

you must be that fan that he is speaking of... if not then MAYBE, the article does not apply to you. again, he qualified his article by repeating that there are "some" ignorant fans. the whole point is that by being overly adamant about the backup can be demeaning to the starter who has done his job and earn the starting spot. bowden would not sit korn if he truly thought he deserved to be the starter.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My thoughts on Korn and Cullen

Sep 11, 2007, 11:32 AM

I think Cullen was not given much of a chance because he played behind Proctor last year. If he was better than Proctor then he would have been playing. We were all let down by Proctor and figured Cullen was not much better. I think this attitude carried over to this year and no one knew what to think of Cullen. In the first two games he has proven that he is a good quarterback and deserves the starting nod. I also agree with cheering for Korn as he came into the game. It was our way of saying welcome to Clemson. It doesn't mean I want Korn to start the game over Cullen.

Re: My thoughts on Korn and Cullen

Sep 11, 2007, 11:40 AM

my feelings too.

Harper vs. Korn

Sep 11, 2007, 11:37 AM

Harper still needs to play a good team so until then, I reserved judgement. However, what I do want to see is Korn get more reps and reps with the 1st team. Why did he not come in for the second half against Florida State when we were still way up? Why did he not come in a series or two earilier against ULM with the 1st team around him. TB needs to get him some reps and then we can see what the both of them can do.

Re: Harper vs. Korn

Sep 11, 2007, 11:43 AM

I think the point this article is trying to make is that the coaches already have seen what Korn can do. While they may not be unimpressed, Korn hasn't won the starting job (yet), so Harper deserves to see the most time on the field. We absolutely do not want a quarterback by committee.

Sep 11, 2007, 1:24 PM [ in reply to Harper vs. Korn ]

Harper still needs to play a good team? Did you forget that FSU was ranked 19th in the nation when Harper faced them? Secondly, you don't play a true freshman quarterback against a team like FSU, especially when there are injuries all over our already relatively young offensive line. You saw how they almost rallied and won the game towards the end. Against ULM Korn came in when the time was right. Just like he'll start when the time is right. I'm sure TB and his assistants know what they're doing.

Sep 11, 2007, 2:25 PM

Lets see what Florida State will be ranked at the end of the year and discuss this again. I doubt they are in the top 40 - they were only 19 based upon their once great past history. We will not know what Harper has until after the GA Tech game.

Sep 11, 2007, 2:26 PM

wow, you are just brilliant.

So Tech beats a shell of a once great team and they are

Sep 11, 2007, 4:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Harper vs. Korn ]

great!! ... we beat what's construed to be the shell of a once great team and we just "haven't played anyone yet."

How do we get to that point???

Sep 11, 2007, 2:40 PM [ in reply to Harper vs. Korn ]

Finally a decent post!! I do think Harper has done very well to this point. I thought as the game went on with FSU, he became more and more comfortable (except when he panicked and tried to dump the ball from the end zone). That being said, however, I think against the good defensive teams ahead (primarily VA Tech), mobility is going to be a factor and Korn has that. While he played against ULM, his pocket presence was ahead of his time. He knew when to get out of there to avoid the sack. I,too, hope he gets some reps with the 1's. Only then will be able to form a true comparison.

Re: "Pocket Presence"

Sep 11, 2007, 4:21 PM

Disagree on Korn's "pocket presence" last Saturday.

Willy admitted himself in the paper that he tucked an ran too quickly on a couple of occasions.

Sure he avoided the rush and gained some yards, but scrambling out of "perceived" trouble is not what an experienced QB does.

That's what guys like Reggie Ball had a habit of doing.

It should be an experience thing, but Ball was still doing it as a senior.

I'm confident that Korn is a lot smarter than Ball and will be less antsy in the pocket eventually, but not last Saturday.

Re: "Pocket Presence"

Sep 11, 2007, 5:04 PM

Have to disagree on your disagreement. Notice that only Korn thought he flushed out too soon. Neither Tommy nor Rob said so. Agree that there is a very fine line between leaving the pocket too early and staying too long. Once you stay beyond the "stay too long" point, two things usually happen and both are bad. You either get sacked (bad) or panic and throw a pick (worse). Maybe he did leave a tad too early (which should improve with experience), but I'd rather he did that and gain 6 yards than be too patient and lose 6.

Sep 11, 2007, 11:48 AM

I agree with you here. People have to realize that just because Korn was so great in High School doesn't mean anything when he starts playing in college. No one knows how he is going to play against a good defense. All the numbers in the Spring and Fall practices he produced where against the 2nd team defence. I really don't think the coaches would put Korn on the bench if he was better than Harper.

and I'll add that it is just as nauseating to hear so-called

Sep 11, 2007, 11:58 AM

fans to continually bash WP a year later.

wrong title on the article, should read....

Sep 11, 2007, 11:59 AM

"i am mad, hear me roar!"

Clemson

Wrong Headline!!

Sep 11, 2007, 12:15 PM

Where's the ULM vs Clemson Postgame Analysis?

Should be titled, don't cheer for Korn, he's not our starter...

Korn should start...

Sep 11, 2007, 12:57 PM

http://www.googlefight.com/index.php?lang=en_GB&word1=Willy+Korn&word2=Cullen+Harper

according to googlefight

A-*&#-ING-MEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!***

Sep 11, 2007, 2:44 PM

Sep 11, 2007, 3:24 PM

I agree completely. I found it very disrespectful when Harper came off the field and people were giving a standing ovation to Korn. His first play was a lateral and people went crazy...as if that were the best play football had ever seen.
I hope Korn does excel at Clemson, I really do. But Harper has done nothing wrong and I think he deserves tremendous respect and support.

I agree....

Sep 11, 2007, 6:05 PM

My first thought after they put Korn in was ... "Wow, I wonder what Harper thinks of this?" I could imagine Harper thinking "I guess I didn't do so well after all"
I've been around football long enough to know that what happened Saturday is what normally happens when the starter has been stiking it up.
Just as a side note.. the guy in front of me was complaining that Korn wasn't in from the start and yelled at Bowden to "pack his bags" numerous times.

thanks roy for that anaylasis on the game***

Sep 11, 2007, 3:26 PM

Remember ...

Sep 11, 2007, 5:51 PM

All of these guys on the team are young and impressionable. Granted, many fans wanted to welcome Korn to Clemson last Saturday. That's OK. However consider how Cullen Harper feels and find a way to show your appreciation to him. When he comes out for his first series Saturday does he not deserve his own standing ovation?

Could not AGREE more!!!

Sep 11, 2007, 9:26 PM

Keep up the good work.

"Where the Blue Ridge Yawns its Greatness...Where the Tigers Play...Here the Sons of Dear Old Clemson Reign Supreme Always"

GET OVER IT PEOPLE HE'S A FAN FAVORITE

Sep 11, 2007, 11:06 PM

No one thinks he's the 2nd coming. Ignorant people think they are a better coach than TB. But then again, why didn't harper play more last year!?!?!?

Harper Good, Not great.

Sep 11, 2007, 11:09 PM

Harper is good not great, this may be Spence, but the passing plays seem like one receiver type plays, Cullen doesn't survey the field, he pulls up and makes a throw toward a predetermined receiver. Just my opinion though, Spence knows the ability of his QB, but this seems like it could be a problem against a better secondary. He also has a weird throwing motion, arm out. But Phillip Rivers had a funky motion too. If Cullen can do he job and allow the backfield to run, let him play till it hurts us. Korn can wait till then. Mark Richt said Stafford is the best QB he has ever had, and we saw how he made all kinds of mistakes against USC.

Sep 11, 2007, 11:20 PM

your exactly right on your qb. situation we all need to back harper up.The only problem I have is I think bowden should have put harper in last year when we could not do nothing on offence.Good article and yes every teams has dumb fans.

Sep 12, 2007, 12:21 PM

Right on. He is not the saving grace many Clemson fans expect him to be.

For some reason I was expecting a Postgame Analysis

Sep 12, 2007, 7:52 PM

instead I read this diatribe about Clemson quarterbacks.

I thought you were going to fuss about the fans booing (bad taste). I never boo my own team (I never boo at all), but if I did, I would of done it on Saturday. It's a staple of Bowden football, play down to weaker opponents. Yes, we won, but we were sluggish and uninspired at the start of the game. We beat a weak FSU and overwhelemed ULM. Hopefully we'll gain some steam, but I see traces of the same old crap we've had for years now. When things are going well, Bowden changes things up. Sometimes it seems that these changes are happening for the sake of change itself.

Flame me all you want, I won't read it anyway. Truth hurts.

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Sep 12, 2007, 11:45 PM

we wont know how good he can be until the coaches allow him have the same first teamers to be able to properly compare their abilities. i wonder why the coaches are afraid to compare them on a level playing field , is it that they know
that korn may actually be better than cullen now.

Preach it, brother..........

Sep 13, 2007, 10:16 AM

It looks like these same ignorant fans are responding to your article. You must have hurt their feelings. Awwwww. I agree with your analysis 100%. And while were at it, ban that #### lame a$$ woo-hoo crap. Whoever invented that s**t should be pummeled.

Re: Preach it, brother..........

Sep 13, 2007, 10:56 AM

Yea...

That Woo-Hoo crap is ULTRA LAME.... Didn't start til about 3 years ago... Whoever the drunk@ss was that decided to yell "Woo-Hoo, Whu Hoo ha Hoo" needs to be B1tch slapped.

Replies: 56
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic